ADVERTISEMENT

HCPN owes Patti an apology

chirurgo

Redshirt
Feb 1, 2004
Great win today! Arguably salvages the season and the program progress.

Can’t say enough about Nick Patti. I saw him throw some great tight passes and show tremendous grit. It’s a shame he didn’t have more opportunity this season. In this era of college football, he could have transferred, but stuck with his teammates. He’s a CLASS ACT!

In typical pitt fashion, they nearly gave me a stroke at the end of the 4th quarter. Dropped touchdown pass wide open at the 1 to put the game away. 4th and 1 instead of putting the game away with a FG, they go for it….but out of the shotgun! And then fumble the handoff! What were they thinking! Ben Sauls with the helpf of Nick Patti. is a hero for bailing Cignetti and Narduzzi out. Means and Mumfield finally had a great game.

With all of the opt outs, playing a ton of backups, they persevered. UCLA joins the rest of the mediocre teams in the big 10 who will get thumped by Ohio st and Michigan annually. I’ll take my acc football. Hail to Pitt!

your headline is wrong even b4 i read
Sorry, left This important paragraph out in my heartfelt emotion:

This guy should have been the starter all season(ok minus some injury time). He was better than Slovis running this offense. He put his time in. Waited patiently as backup. Only to have Slovis waltz in, suck, and then transfer before the bowl game. Hence, HCPN owes Patti an apology.

I thought Patti should have been lifted after banging his head and certainly after the horrible pick 6; he seemed not to be all there. Made some really nice plays overall, especially at the end. Tough and gritty, he deserves the win. He’s not starter material week in and out, but good enough today. It’s just too bad we didn’t lift Slovis for him Vs GT, Lou and UNC, we might have won some of those.

Slovis looked much better than Patti against Tennessee and Patti missed several games with an injury. Your premise is wrong. It would've been stupid to give up on Slovis. Both QB's have their strengths and weaknesses. Let's not put Patti in the HoF and trash Slovis over one game. Give the staff credit for the work they did to wring out as much from their 3 QB's as they did in this trying season.

I am excited to see what Jurkovich can do next year. He has Patti's RPO ability and probably a better arm. Slovis' inability to run the RPO really hurt us against GT and Louisville.

Slovis looked much better than Patti against Tennessee and Patti missed several games with an injury. Your premise is wrong. It would've been stupid to give up on Slovis. Both QB's have their strengths and weaknesses. Let's not put Patti in the HoF and trash Slovis over one game. Give the staff credit for the work they did to wring out as much from their 3 QB's as they did in this trying season.

I am excited to see what Jurkovich can do next year. He has Patti's RPO ability and probably a better arm. Slovis' inability to run the RPO really hurt us against GT and Louisville.
That’s why it’s so much more frustrating to think about why he wouldn’t at least give Nick Patti two or three series.

I managed people for years. Unfortunately we don’t get everything right, and hindsight is 20/20.
Used to say, “It seemed like a good idea at the time”.
Can’t beat up HCPN, for this one. It definitely wasn’t cut and dried as many make it out to be.

And Patti is injury prone. He likely would not have lasted with his style of play. He likes to tuck it and run, while Slovis was mostly refused to.

Patti started the Peach Bowl last year and got hurt and didn’t return to the game. Patti took over for Slovis against against Tennessee and got hurt. While he finished the game (on one leg), he missed a few games after that. Even against UCLA, he got hit and missed a few plays. I don’t think he could have lasted a season.

I’ll always appreciate him for what he did, not only in the Sun Bowl, but also for his contributions to Pitt, and not bailing after not winning the starting job a few different times. He’ll always be a “Pitt Man” to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkview57
Patti is what he is, a mediocre P5 backup QB, who had his moments. He's not going pro and he was never the solution for Pitt but was an Okay backup.

Duzz was doing what he thought was needed to win all season, not one game.
Im glad Nick goes out a winner, but please not start this convo.
I have often apologized after doing what I thought was right when I was wrong..uh, that's what appolgies are for...I thought this board was the place for 'convos' of this nature.

Patti is what he is, a mediocre P5 backup QB, who had his moments. He's not going pro and he was never the solution for Pitt but was an Okay backup.
Irrelevant, not the subject of the post..the issue was Slovis vs Patti..

Irrelevant, not the subject of the post..the issue was Slovis vs Patti..
Here's what I DECIDE the topic is.., Patti is what he is, a mediocre P5 backup QB, who had his moments. He's not going pro and he was never the solution for Pitt but was an Okay backup.

That said, it's possible Patti could have done as good or better than Slovis, that bar was low. But I doubt Patti is as accurate over 12 games.

Here's what I DECIDE the topic is.., Patti is what he is, a mediocre P5 backup QB, who had his moments. He's not going pro and he was never the solution for Pitt but was an Okay backup.
So according to you Slovis was better than him based on nothing really.....got it..

btw..I really know of only two moments in recent history where he started..Last year's peach bowl...First drive jammed up deep by a bad kickoff decision had a beautiful pass for a first down dropped by hands of stone Lucas Krull and a second great drive for a touchdown where he got hurt scoring it...second, this years Sun Bowl..nuff said.

So according to you Slovis was better than him based on nothing really.....got it..

btw..I really know of only two moments in recent history where he started..Last year's peach bowl...First drive jammed up deep by a bad kickoff decision had a beautiful pass for a first down dropped by hands of stone Lucas Krull and a second great drive for a touchdown where he got hurt scoring it...second, this years Sun Bowl..nuff said.
I think Slovis was more accurate, he was over 60% completion rate, I don't think Patti could have matched that.

Reactions: JokePa
Patti is the better college QB... with less time starting. Slovis might have the better tools, but a guy like Morelli had better tool then a guy like Palko.... and who would you rather have starting?

Great win today! Arguably salvages the season and the program progress.

Can’t say enough about Nick Patti. I saw him throw some great tight passes and show tremendous grit. It’s a shame he didn’t have more opportunity this season. In this era of college football, he could have transferred, but stuck with his teammates. He’s a CLASS ACT!

In typical pitt fashion, they nearly gave me a stroke at the end of the 4th quarter. Dropped touchdown pass wide open at the 1 to put the game away. 4th and 1 instead of putting the game away with a FG, they go for it….but out of the shotgun! And then fumble the handoff! What were they thinking! Ben Sauls with the helpf of Nick Patti. is a hero for bailing Cignetti and Narduzzi out. Means and Mumfield finally had a great game.

With all of the opt outs, playing a ton of backups, they persevered. UCLA joins the rest of the mediocre teams in the big 10 who will get thumped by Ohio st and Michigan annually. I’ll take my acc football. Hail to Pitt!

Obviously Narduzzi definitely does not owe Patti an apology.

Patti has been injured all year, after being injured to start the year. He didnt deserve to be the starter, he played a good game (lets face it, not that good, but he was clutch at the end.

Reactions: JokePa
ADVERTISEMENT