ADVERTISEMENT

Heather Lyke now has a HUGE problem on her hands.

Wouldn’t mind them reaching out to Hafley at BC.

I just don’t have any confidence that this university can come up with a solid hire, let alone a homerun hire.

Don’t forget this university fired Coach Wannstedt, not for lack of wins, but for the off field behavior of his players.
I don’t think that has changed in the University. Wins are secondary, not primary.
That may have been one component but I remember watching WVU beat the crap out of us the day after Thanksgiving on national television when it looked like the team had quit on Dave and thinking to myself...he’s done. I got that same feeling about today’s game...Narduzzi is done.

That may have been one component but I remember watching WVU beat the crap out of us the day after Thanksgiving on national television when it looked like the team had quit on Dave and thinking to myself...he’s done. I got that same feeling about today’s game...Narduzzi is done.
I had the exact same feeling during each of the two games you mentioned.

Reactions: 303vND

The loss to WVU made it easier. But look who they hired to replace Dave? Mike Haywood.
That tipped me off the university did not prioritize winning so much as discipline.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
The loss to WVU made it easier. But look who they hired to replace Dave? Mike Haywood.
That tipped me off the university did not prioritize winning so much as discipline.

That’s a totally different regime. Give Heather an opportunity to pick her coach. She has proven to be pretty capable in that area.

With an off week this week it's going to be interesting to see how the team plays in two weeks against Florida State. I don't think they are going to fire him (mostly because of the monetary issues surrounding the virus). But I also think that what happens in two weeks may just force them to do something that they almost certainly do no want to do.

Pederson wanted full control again, and WANNY was not his hire and Wanny wouldn't kiss his ass. Period. Nordy and Pedey were dolts

Ditto. I had the same feeling. Although, Narduzzi is dumb as well. Dumb and Done.

Stop acting like firing Wanny was the wrong move. He was on a downward trajectory and had choked away the big east with far superior talent three years in a row.

The replacement process was a mess, but firing him was absolutely correct.

It was the wrong move especially when the hire was a wife beater and cheater and never a winner

The guy had a pregnant wife , pregnant girlfriend at the same time , and his sister comes to press conference, and we get Freddie Kruger, sure was stupid but the two running the show were IDIOTS

It was the wrong move especially when the hire was a wife beater and cheater and never a winner

He explained it to you pretty well, but since you obviously didn't get it let's try again.

Firing him was not the problem. The problem was what came after. I know that because it's Pitt this is hard to believe, but it was not preordained that once Wanny got fired that Pitt had to screw up the new coaching hire. Wanny getting fired and the fiasco that followed were two separate events.

I don't disagree but he's not going anywhere. It's a horrible look when the university is cutting jobs due to Covid and then you eat a couple of million dollars in a fired coach's salary. Doesn't matter if the alumni comes up with the cash. Horrible PR issue.
On the flip side of that though, football is by far the biggest moneymaker on the athletics side of things. Every department needs to bring in more money than normally expected to be comfortable during these times. If Narduzzi returns, Pitt is likely going to see a lot of booster/season ticket holder money not come their way anymore. Could they not spin it that that could also result in them having to cut jobs somewhere?

Granted I get what you’re saying, but how much can the football program’s projected revenue lower before they decide they have to do something to get more revenue to come in? Is 1,000 lost season tickets and $50,000 less from boosters enough? Is that so little they don’t even blink an eye? Do they literally have to lose 10,000 season ticket holders and over a million from boosters?

If Narduzzi returns I think you can almost certainly rule out very many if any at all new season ticket purchases. And I’m guessing they will definitely be losing some. They already don’t get very much in donations, what if it’s all the biggest donors that just stop donating?

Reactions: pierre93 and 303vND
On the flip side of that though, football is by far the biggest moneymaker on the athletics side of things. Every department needs to bring in more money than normally expected to be comfortable during these times. If Narduzzi returns, Pitt is likely going to see a lot of booster/season ticket holder money not come their way anymore. Could they not spin it that that could also result in them having to cut jobs somewhere?

Granted I get what you’re saying, but how much can the football program’s projected revenue lower before they decide they have to do something to get more revenue to come in? Is 1,000 lost season tickets and $50,000 less from boosters enough? Is that so little they don’t even blink an eye? Do they literally have to lose 10,000 season ticket holders and over a million from boosters?

If Narduzzi returns I think you can almost certainly rule out very many if any at all new season ticket purchases. And I’m guessing they will definitely be losing some. They already don’t get very much in donations, what if it’s all the biggest donors that just stop donating?

Great points and to piggy back off of that, if you can have fans next year, how do you sell this sh*t show? You almost have to make a splash move to generate interest. Canning Whipple won’t be enough.

Reactions: Pittx9 and pierre93
It’s one loss and it’s not likely to dramatically change Lyke’s opinion. Narduzzi still runs a clean program, his team‘s are not likely to embarrass the University with poor behavior, runs a traditional program, and more often than not gets the team bowl eligible. Given the covid induced budget issues this year, I don’t see Pat getting canned this year, and maybe not even next year.

The problem is the fans have expectations and priorities that are different than the university.
You are not a Pitt football fan or maybe even a fan of any sport. What Pitt did today is a total embarrassment to the university and will cost Pitt money. Why don't you go back to Penn State and sulk over their stupid loss today???

I agree. Fans are angry at Narduzzi and Pitt. They are not indifferent. Angry fans do not buy season tickets nor make big donations. And Pat Narduzzi's career has ended as a viable Pitt head coach even if Heather doesn't have what it takes to release him. And next year, with very little talent on hand, will be much worse.

Selling season tickets, creating excitement, donations is all part of the equation. This has Kevin Stallings written all over it. PN will be gone. I'm sure HL has a list of candidates. Every competent AD has one.

Reactions: 303vND
Great points and to piggy back off of that, if you can have fans next year, how do you sell this sh*t show? You almost have to make a splash move to generate interest. Canning Whipple won’t be enough.
Whipple looks like father time and his offense is prehistoric.

Yep, that’s the issue I think. You have literally nothing to sell. I mean they could ask the Pirates marketing team from the early to mid 2000s how they came up with so many slogans to air on commercials advertising teams everyone knew would be shitty, but they at least had a guy on their roster that was coming off an “all-star” season per MLB rules.

Seriously how does Pitt get a single new season ticket buyer next season? It’s looking really ugly right now.

Reactions: 303vND and pierre93
Don’t forget this university fired Coach Wannstedt, not for lack of wins, but for the off field behavior of his players.
I don’t think that has changed in the University. Wins are secondary, not primary.

you are naïve if you think Wannstedt wasn't fired for lack of wins.

Whipple looks like father time and his offense is prehistoric.

There is zero chance Whipple returns next year, and I mean none. If Narduzzi refuses to jettison him then he’s following Whipple out the door. Not much chance Pitt makes an HC change next year, but that would certainly be a way.

Borbely and Salem need canned too. IMO, too many assistants need replaced. PN needs to be fired.

Even if they make him an ultimatum saying there needs to be massive change with the staff I just don’t see him agreeing to it. Guy just seems like way too much of an egotist to do that.

That will be his downfall in the end.

Partridge is the only good all around assistant coach. Beatty and Collins can recruit well, but those positions aren’t fundamentally sound.
Only one good overall assistant on the staff which is sad and unfortunate. PN can take his ego and hit the road. His act is old

Reactions: BFo8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT