ADVERTISEMENT

Heinz Field No More

I purposefully refused to, but it was more personal and petty; Mellon turned me down for a job out of college. Like Uncle Leo, I never forget when someone betrays me. F Mellon and whatever conflagration of initials it’s now known as, forever.
It was always Civic Arena to me, or the Igloo. Never Mellon. Hell, I didn't like calling my alman mater (CMU) by its full name; I preferred Carnegie Tech.

salary caps are salary caps. one team is not giving more, they are just giving more now and less later.. its just re-shuffling the payouts, taking the salary hits now vs later and vice versa..

you need to have cash. that's why the raiders had to move - the stadium generated no cash. the guaranteed money needs put in escrow. that's why the owners are so pissed at the browns for giving watson all of that guaranteed money. now they will get the same request.

the steelers don't have as much cash, obviously, as other owners. so far, i don't see how it's hurt them too much. but the chargers and raiders simply had to have a new stadium.

Blennd Field
Gold Circle Stadium
Edgar Snyder Stadium
Chateau Field
Utz Field
Jimmy Pol Park
Renegade Field

No one in the whole country will be able to know who the hell Acrisure is. That's just plain stupid. And it's not even a Pittsburgh corporation to boot!!! So many good corporations in Pittsburgh and they pick some obscure schlock outfit out of MI just because of a minority owner of the Stillers and a connection.

I'm still for calling it Dick's Sporting Goods Stadium and nickname it the Big Dick.

I’ll bet the marketing company that came up with Acrisure is the same one who chose “Pittsburgh / no script Pitt for you”, “Dinocat” and the hideous uniforms of Pederson’s first tenure.

Reactions: taintpunch
That is sort of the point of Acrisure buying the naming rights. The Steelers are one of the highest profile names in the country, and they get bonus exposure on Saturdays.
I get it if Acrisure is trying to go national with their brand. However, if they didn't pay a premium to out bid others, then I suspect that there wasn't much of an interest in the "Steeler" brand by local or national known companies. We won't know until we understand whether Acrisure paid above market price for the rights.

The best play here would be to float the Acrimony or whatever it is name for a few days, knowing full well It’s a terrible name for the stadium, BUT garnering free PR for this ridiculously obscure firm, and what it purports to do. Leave it out there for a week or so. Then the Rooneys can cleverly claim that they are “responding to the feedback of their precious customers” and withdrawing the name, for Art Rooney Field at UPMC Park or such. It’s such a win win win: Aquavelva gets its name and purpose out there to everyone, the old man gets his due, and the Steelers then get a deep pocketed sponsor that may actually still exist in another 6 months.
Aquavelva!!! That's gold, Jerry!! Gold!!

salary caps are salary caps. one team is not giving more, they are just giving more now and less later.. its just re-shuffling the payouts, taking the salary hits now vs later and vice versa..
Right, but sometimes you need the cash to give more now, that can make a difference where a guy signs.

tumblr_o5qh13y1Uh1txyx4lo1_1280.png
The twins look like Putin's lost love children...

Hopefully they do something like Acrisure Stadium at Three Rivers. I really hope The Rooney's get a ton of s***t for this(yes I know they won't).
How about???

Acrisure Field at Heinz Field by Three Rivers Stadium down the road from Pitt Stadium next to PNC Park?

Acrisure sounds like a name create after 36 meetings with corporate naming consultants.

They also could have went with Acricertain, acriyes.

I get it if Acrisure is trying to go national with their brand. However, if they didn't pay a premium to out bid others, then I suspect that there wasn't much of an interest in the "Steeler" brand by local or national known companies. We won't know until we understand whether Acrisure paid above market price for the rights.
Guys, be patient, it’s a dog name for sure, but mighty possible this outfit will be bought out or collapse outright in six months anyway (especially with a recession looming). Yeah, it’ll likely just be replaced for another random invented name, but possibly a more robust and memorable one.

Either way I have always had a personal peeve about the stadium that I wish would be addressed now. The back of the scoreboard that acts as the big Heinz Field sign facing outwards (which is seen by cars coming into the city through the Fort Pitt tunnel and from the Point) has always looked incomplete. IMO it has always needed to have electrified Steelers and Pitt logos flanking the field name. I realize Heinz may have insisted on single billing, or the Steelers weren’t willing to share the space with us or such. But the whole thing has always looked half-assed without that, like they ran out of money to finish the sign or something. Hopefully Acidrain would be amenable to this.

Last edited:
Well, it’s official. 15 years! :mad:
Also, some food for thought: the fact that they agreed to a 15-year deal, which is well after the current stadium lease expires, might just confirm they have no plans of leaving the North Side for Cranberry, as some have speculated. I’d imagine it’ll get a facelift in the coming years, but no new stadium. Of course, you know what they say about assuming…

i love this assumption that the steelers are going to move to cranberry or butler, nothing amuses me more than reading about this impending move.

you guys realize if that happens, which it wont but if it does, we dont have a place to play. You guys realize that, correct? Like the city is just gonna hand the front door keys to the stadium over to pitt lol and forget about the tax revenue that land would bring the city.

IF this crazy scenario ever happens, If Rooney moves the steelers out of the north shore, heinz field would be torn down that next morning.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
i love this assumption that the steelers are going to move to cranberry or butler, nothing amuses me more than reading about this impending move.

you guys realize if that happens, which it wont but if it does, we dont have a place to play. You guys realize that, correct? Like the city is just gonna hand the front door keys to the stadium over to pitt lol and forget about the tax revenue that land would bring the city.

IF this crazy scenario ever happens, If Rooney moves the steelers out of the north shore, heinz field would be torn down that next morning.
Heck yeah. That would signify the most bitter divorce in history. So just for spite alone, the city would explode the place before the Steelers final Two Men And A Truck shipment left for the suburbs.

Besides, if other threads are to be believed, Pitt will playing football in the Patriot League in 15 years (Does it actually have football? Doesn’t matter, I’m rolling). Heck, maybe in 15 months, the way things are collapsing so quickly in college sports along with pretty much everything else in society. So, despite certain posters’ eloquent boasts that Pitt fans are uniquely impervious to winning or playing in national championship leagues, we likely won’t be needing 70,000 seats (or even 700) to host those games. So demolish away, Mayor Khalifa.

I agree that there’s no way they’ll leave the North Shore, but humor me for a second. Does anyone know whether the Rooney’s would give up their development rights if they were to leave for the suburbs?

I have it on pretty good authority that they're relocating to Steubenville, Ohio in 2031. You ever see that bridge they have there? It's like the Golden Gate of the east. Rooney really digs it and wants his team playing by it.

• Haha
I have it on pretty good authority that they're relocating to Steubenville, Ohio in 2031. You ever see that bridge they have there? It's like the Golden Gate of the east. Rooney really digs it and wants his team playing by it.
Nah. The best rumor (just so happened it was mine) is that the mysterious and still nearly barren Southern Expressway between 376 and 79 in Wash County, which cost billions but seemingly has no legitimate purpose, was built for the Steelers so that they could build not just a stadium but an entire Steelers theme park. Vast swaths of free land, no county taxes, it’s own autonomous municipality (similar to Disney World, though DeSantis is on a quest to end that), and outstanding access to the airport and linkage to the four major highways of the region. Honestly, the more I repeat the deets of the fairy tail, the more it SHOULD happen.

Nah. The best rumor (just so happened it was mine) is that the mysterious and still nearly barren Southern Expressway between 376 and 79 in Wash County, which cost billions but seemingly has no legitimate purpose, was built for the Steelers so that they could build not just a stadium but an entire Steelers theme park. Vast swaths of free land, no county taxes, it’s own autonomous municipality (similar to Disney World, though DeSantis is on a quest to end that), and outstanding access to the airport and linkage to the four major highways of the region. Honestly, the more I repeat the deets of the fairy tail, the more it SHOULD happen.

You can't build anything up in 'ere; my dog got a bunch of ticks at Raccoon State Park.

You can't build anything up in 'ere; my dog got a bunch of ticks at Raccoon State Park.
S’Ok with me if nobody shares the vision Just all you suckers who live East, sitting in interminable Parkway East traffic, can be assuaged with the knowledge that your taxes, instead of the incredibly rational Parkway bypass to Monroeville, instead allowed for three cars this week to cut 7 minutes off their commute from the airport to Canonsburg.

Wouldn’t we all feel better about it if we knew it had enabled the construction of an international treasure out there? Rooneyland presented by Aqualung Insurance … accessible via three different exists along the Senator Fetterman Memorial Parkway.

S’Ok with me if nobody shares the vision Just all you suckers who live East, sitting in interminable Parkway East traffic, can be assuaged with the knowledge that your taxes allowed for three cars this week to cut 7 minutes off their commute from the airport to Canonsburg.

Wouldn’t we all feel better about it if we knew it had enabled the construction of an international treasure out there? Rooneyland presented by Aqualung Insurance … accessible via three different exists along the Senator Fetterman Memorial Parkway.

It saved me like a 1/4 gallon of gas when I went from the Airport to Burgettstown one time (no joke). And I think it only cost like $12. So, and my math may be off on this, I'm pretty sure I came out ahead by a solid 75 cents or more.

S’Ok with me if nobody shares the vision Just all you suckers who live East, sitting in interminable Parkway East traffic, can be assuaged with the knowledge that your taxes, instead of the incredibly rational Parkway bypass to Monroeville, instead allowed for three cars this week to cut 7 minutes off their commute from the airport to Canonsburg.

That highway is going to eventually connect to the Mon Fayette near what used to be Century 3. At that point, that land will be readily accessible from points south, west, and north without having to go through a tunnel. So it may make some sense. But it's a toll road and would probably need to be beefed up if intended to support NFL traffic.

It saved me like a 1/4 gallon of gas when I went from the Airport to Burgettstown one time (no joke). And I think it only cost like $12. So, and my math may be off on this, I'm pretty sure I came out ahead by a solid 75 cents or more.
And what brings the thread full circle with THAT tidbit is the parallel observation that no matter how many different corporate sponsors the concert venue in Burgettstown has had, everyone STILL and forever will call it Starlake Amphitheater.

Also, some food for thought: the fact that they agreed to a 15-year deal, which is well after the current stadium lease expires, might just confirm they have no plans of leaving the North Side for Cranberry, as some have speculated. I’d imagine it’ll get a facelift in the coming years, but no new stadium. Of course, you know what they say about assuming…
The only people who have speculated that are Pitt fans who want to play their football games even further from campus for some reason.

ADVERTISEMENT