ADVERTISEMENT

Heinz Field No More

Agreed. Maybe Heinz was lowballing against what the Rooneys were seeing for sponsorships in other cities, and the fanboy Steelers shareholder who runs Acrisure thought he’d be the white horse riding to the rescue. Maybe they don’t give the guy very much say in the Steelers affairs, and this is the way he thought he could get promoted from the kids table at Thanksgiving.
Joepantherfan knows all the details but will not share

I think there was pride in having the name of a prominent Pittsburgh company (and family name) displayed on national television.

Wait, are you telling us that you were proud that the company that paid millions of dollars to put their name on a sports stadium happened to be local?

Seriously?

Wait, are you telling us that you were proud that the company that paid millions of dollars to put their name on a sports stadium happened to be local?

Seriously?
Is Heinz really still a local company? I think they only have a handful of employees located here. And they certainly don’t make ketchup here.

Seriously?
I most certainly am. I would much rather have the naming rights of any venue in Pittsburgh belong to a company that is invested in the community and employs people in the region. I’d also much rather have PPG and PNC own naming rights than, say, Sherwin-Williams and Citi Bank. I hope Acrisure does the same over the next 15 years.

Also, with all due respect, why must every response you post come off as arrogant? “Are you really telling us that your opinion isn’t the same as mine? Seriously?” I like reading a lot of what you have to say, but we’re also allowed to have different perspectives!

Last edited:
I most certainly am. I would much rather have the naming rights of any venue in Pittsburgh belong to a company that is invested in the community and employs people in the region. I’d also much rather have PPG and PNC own naming rights than, say, Sherwin-Williams and Citi Bank. I hope Acrisure does the same over the next 15 years.

Also, with all due respect, why must every response you post come off as arrogant? “Are you really telling us that your opinion isn’t the same as mine? Seriously?” I like reading a lot of what you have to say, but we’re also allowed to have different perspectives!
Like PNC Arena - where nc state and the Carolina hurricanes play ?
Or PNC suites at Soldier Field?

that kind of pride ?

Like PNC Arena - where nc state and the Carolina hurricanes play ?
Or PNC suites at Soldier Field?

that kind of pride ?
Sure, I don’t see anything wrong with that. It doesn’t change the fact that their history in Pittsburgh traces back nearly 200 years and they are currently a driving force for downtown development.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see their name on a Texas venue in the near future considering their recent acquisition of BBVA Compass.

For the record, it's not arrogance. I am genuinely shocked that someone could take pride in something that has nothing at all to do with them and that in the grand scheme of things is so, well, dumb.

Especially since the local company in question isn't even really a local company any more.

For the record, it's not arrogance. I am genuinely shocked that someone could take pride in something that has nothing at all to do with them and that in the grand scheme of things is so, well, dumb.

Especially since the local company in question isn't even really a local company any more.
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree then!

So much for keeping the ketchup bottles… :(

Edit: I think these should make their way to the Heinz history museum.

Last edited:
Heinz Field fun fact: At the first ever non-exhibition game at the stadium; when the University of Pittsburgh Panthers defeated the East Tennessee State Buccaneers, stadium concession stands ran out of ketchup around half time.

As long as its going to be called Acrisure Stadium, why not go all in and add the name 'Steve Pederson Field.' Seems appropriate.
Oh wait, what with the Ped start to his last name, people that don't remember our AD will assume he was the Penn State AD.

So much for keeping the ketchup bottles… :(

Edit: I think these should make their way to the Heinz history museum.
I think a ketchup bottle at the museum makes sense. No doubt. It is part of sports history in this city.

however the reaction on twitter from yinzers yesterday at the site of those bottles coming down was sad and pathetic.

Pittsburgh Dad is funny every once in a blue moon, and his reaction to the video with simply the word “dibs” made me chuckle a bit. I have no doubts that there are thousands of yinzers who would gladly put one of those bottles in their front yard.

I think a ketchup bottle at the museum makes sense. No doubt. It is part of sports history in this city.

however the reaction on twitter from yinzers yesterday at the site of those bottles coming down was sad and pathetic.

Pittsburgh Dad is funny every once in a blue moon, and his reaction to the video with simply the word “dibs” made me chuckle a bit. I have no doubts that there are thousands of yinzers who would gladly put one of those bottles in their front yard.
My son is disappointed since the redzone was about the only part of games he cares about

Reactions: HailToPitt725
My son is disappointed since the redzone was about the only part of games he cares about
I should have said adults. I mean, when I was a kid I used to cry when the Steelers lost and got mad when my Dad said Terry Bradshaw was a stupid idiot.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
An out of state friend messaged me last night who hadn't been following along and was seeing all of the news about the ketchup bottles. We both agreed that Yinzers form interesting bonds to the most inane things. It's a weird quirk of a population that has struggled with its identity and hates to let go of the past. We all have that one relative that will always mention, "the old Steelers wouldn't have lost that way." We really don't let go of the past very well.

ADVERTISEMENT