ADVERTISEMENT

Hello Philadelphia!!!!!!!!

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
I know there are alot of Pitt fans from this area, and alot of lurking Nitwits from the 215/610/267 area codes and hell 717 and even some 814.

I grew up almost in fear of playing the Flyers. It was in our DNA. Hardwired. I loathed thee. Now? I laugh at yinz.

We have FIVE CUPS! FIVE! What is more than two? Three. Four. FIVE!! Five in 26 years!

We are the dominant post expansion franchise. Your poster boy for your idiotic hatred is a 3 time Stanley Cup champion. That is more than Bobby Clarke.

FIVE! FIVE! Can't wait until next year when we play again and you chant "Crosby Sucks" and while knowing this math.

I hope by grace of NHL schedule we open up the season with you guys having to watch us raise another banner.

I know there are alot of Pitt fans from this area, and alot of lurking Nitwits from the 215/610/267 area codes and hell 717 and even some 814. I grew up almost in fear of playing the Flyers. It was in our DNA. Hardwired. I loathed thee. Now? I laugh at yinz. We have FIVE CUPS! FIVE! What is more than two? Three. Four. FIVE!! Five in 26 years! We are the dominant post expansion franchise. Your poster boy for your idiotic hatred is a 3 time Stanley Cup champion. That is more than Bobby Clarke. FIVE! FIVE! Can't wait until next year when we play again and you chant "Crosby Sucks" and while knowing this math. I hope by grace of NHL schedule we open up the season with you guys having to watch us raise another banner.
Good posts and well timed. What impressed me when I lived in Cleveland in 1975-1978, Rome 1979, and Philly in 1979-89s was how great an Organization the Flyers had then, they really took their Hockey seriously and they had their own Sport Renaissance in Philiies, Flyers, 76ers and Eagles.

Yet, when I went to Games the Philly Fans were always complaining and even booing at Times. I was told by some at Penn State many of the most vocal negative people they met and now post on the Blogger Net are from Philly. The New Yorkers and Philly Boys would always get into arguments over the various sports as well. It is like they can't appreciate just being a Fan they have to spout, shout, and pout very much like Cult Dolts.

Yet, after Mario came and accepted and committed to Pittsburgh after first protesting his selection in the Draft and then set his mind on just winning. What is truly remarkable is how the Penguins first under DeBartolo's started to be a designation for some Philly Flyers Management then bringing in Johnson Bowman followed by Former Flyer's Shero and Patrick helped out as well. Then Pittsburgh Ownership struggled again, but Mario was always loyal and committed to Pittsburgh and this Penguin Climb to NHL Excellence now has the Penguins 5-1 in Lord Stanley Cups.

Now the Penguins have a Coach in Sullivan that in my opinion, is a the Belichick of the NHL. Sullivan has really gone far further in Coaching the Players into learning adapting to 3 Systems to match Opponents unlike NHL Coaches teaching One System in September and trying to Perfect It to win Lord Stanley.

Additionally, having tow great Players in Crosby and Malkin buying into in it while sharing their skills with Murray and Fluery makes the Penguins having a Complete NHL Franchise right now with Players, Stars, Coaching and Management that knows just how to beat Competitors better than any Franchise in NHL right now, much as New England Patriots.

Finally, the Pittsburgh Fans have responded and they sold out Consol and still had many outside as well. They now remind me of how well Philly Fans supported the Flyers back in 1970s-80s-90s, but now the Penguins Fans has passed them too, and now challenging Steeler's in popularity. This is a Football-Hockey Town now and as soon as Pirates realize it can also remain a Baseball Mecca if not for some Nuttings? I wish they would sell to Mark Cuban!

Pitt-Post-Script:
Meanwhile, the Penguin, Steelers and Pirate Success is what the Pitt Panthers have to contend with as well all Year long. From September to June it is the Steelers, Penguins, and Pirates Games and their success leaves fewer Fans to come to come to Heinz and The Pete on Pirate, Penguin, and Steelers Days, Nights and Weekends. Very few University Football and Basketball Program have to put up with and compete with such Professional NFL, NHL, and MLB Excellence in a Small Franchise City. NYC, Chicago, LA, Dallas, FRISCO, Miami, DC, and other Bigger Cities, have far larger populations, sponsors, and fan based many without Top University Football & Basketball Competition! Sure, there is USC, Miami, NWU, Georgia Tech, UCLA, Boston College, SMU, Memphis, UCincy, but PITT has done well in its own history fighting for that Fan Base in a far smaller city without the multiple changes that Pitt dealt with from Independent, Big East and now ACC and often done in by lack of foresight and commitments of poor leadership judgment choosing the latest Hot Shots just wanting to go elsewhere?

Pitt Posters get upset about Attendance but Pitt did it in 1976 and Recommitted 1996 and was a Top Basketball in 2006 in Wins, and is just Rebuilding Pitt Football and Basketball now as it keeps finding the right People to do it again. Pittsburgh has truly been blessed with Top Ownership, Management, Stars, Coaching, Fans and when Pitt gets all the Right People in place will support it again too. Pitt only been in the ACC going on just its 5th year and now in Coach Pat's Staff 3rd Year & AD Staff 1st Year and Stalling & Staff 2nd Year with growing ACC Money and Stability! I see the excellence in Coach Pat Narduzzi Commitment to Pitt much as the Pirates in 1960-70s, Steelers 1970s-2017, and Penguins 1990s-2017, and Pitt 1972-1984.

Indeed all Sports Winnings truly starts with Excellence in Finding and Keeping the Right People in Top Sports Managements on a Mission to Win first and foremost within their own vision and smarts and commitment, and sorry but those Posters that think it begins with the "The Fans" just showing up have been wrong a long time on the Attendance at Pitt and quite frankly I found laughable and watching them cry about it, just revealed they lack the Smarts how Successful Sports Franchise actually work so hard to win with foresight, vision, stable management commitment. It starts with Smart Steady Management that produces Winning, only then Fans Come, and a few on the Lair are just too dumb to know or learn it!

Pitt is not there yet, but getting there, and so little done with so much to do, but the right people are committed to Pitt Is It, again! and those on the Lair that complain about Attendance need to learn what commit is all about and Narduzzi is proving it.

Last edited:
I know there are alot of Pitt fans from this area, and alot of lurking Nitwits from the 215/610/267 area codes and hell 717 and even some 814.

I grew up almost in fear of playing the Flyers. It was in our DNA. Hardwired. I loathed thee. Now? I laugh at yinz.

We have FIVE CUPS! FIVE! What is more than two? Three. Four. FIVE!! Five in 26 years!

We are the dominant post expansion franchise. Your poster boy for your idiotic hatred is a 3 time Stanley Cup champion. That is more than Bobby Clarke.

FIVE! FIVE! Can't wait until next year when we play again and you chant "Crosby Sucks" and while knowing this math.

I hope by grace of NHL schedule we open up the season with you guys having to watch us raise another banner.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
I'm from Philly and stopped watching hockey after the last strike but I have to say I am better than you. Just the fact I don't use the word "yinz" in a sentence is justification enough.

But, do wash your hands with soapy woorder before you leave the rest room?

Silly question. Of course you don't wash your hands, you're from Philly.

JK:D

For long time suffering penguin fans nothing makes my blood pressure go up than talking about the thugs from Philadelphia hate all of them

As sad as the Pirates are, how about them Phils?
We won't even mention the Eagles/Steelers comparison.
Philly's NBA franchise is better than Pittsburgh's for sure, because we don't have one, so there's that. Of course only 3 of the 30 other NBA cities have worse ones than Philly, so there's that too!

Reactions: Jtommyj
Good posts and well timed. What impressed me when I lived in Cleveland in 1975-1978, Rome 1979, and Philly in 1979-89s was how great an Organization the Flyers had then, they really took their Hockey seriously and they had their own Sport Renaissance in Philiies, Flyers, 76ers and Eagles.

Yet, when I went to Games the Philly Fans were always complaining and even booing at Times. I was told by some at Penn State many of the most vocal negative people they met and now post on the Blogger Net are from Philly. The New Yorkers and Philly Boys would always get into arguments over the various sports as well. It is like they can't appreciate just being a Fan they have to spout, shout, and pout very much like Cult Dolts.

Yet, after Mario came and accepted and committed to Pittsburgh after first protesting his selection in the Draft and then set his mind on just winning. What is truly remarkable is how the Penguins first under DeBartolo's started to be a designation for some Philly Flyers Management then bringing in Johnson Bowman followed by Former Flyer's Shero and Patrick helped out as well. Then Pittsburgh Ownership struggled again, but Mario was always loyal and committed to Pittsburgh and this Penguin Climb to NHL Excellence now has the Penguins 5-1 in Lord Stanley Cups.

Now the Penguins have a Coach in Sullivan that in my opinion, is a the Belichick of the NHL. Sullivan has really gone far further in Coaching the Players into learning adapting to 3 Systems to match Opponents unlike NHL Coaches teaching One System in September and trying to Perfect It to win Lord Stanley.

Additionally, having tow great Players in Crosby and Malkin buying into in it while sharing their skills with Murray and Fluery makes the Penguins having a Complete NHL Franchise right now with Players, Stars, Coaching and Management that knows just how to beat Competitors better than any Franchise in NHL right now, much as New England Patriots.

Finally, the Pittsburgh Fans have responded and they sold out Consol and still had many outside as well. They now remind me of how well Philly Fans supported the Flyers back in 1970s-80s-90s, but now the Penguins Fans has passed them too, and now challenging Steeler's in popularity. This is a Football-Hockey Town now and as soon as Pirates realize it can also remain a Baseball Mecca if not for some Nuttings? I wish they would sell to Mark Cuban!

Pitt-Post-Script:
Meanwhile, the Penguin, Steelers and Pirate Success is what the Pitt Panthers have to contend with as well all Year long. From September to June it is the Steelers, Penguins, and Pirates Games and their success leaves fewer Fans to come to come to Heinz and The Pete on Pirate, Penguin, and Steelers Days, Nights and Weekends. Very few University Football and Basketball Program have to put up with and compete with such Professional NFL, NHL, and MLB Excellence in a Small Franchise City. NYC, Chicago, LA, Dallas, FRISCO, Miami, DC, and other Bigger Cities, have far larger populations, sponsors, and fan based many without Top University Football & Basketball Competition! Sure, there is USC, Miami, NWU, Georgia Tech, UCLA, Boston College, SMU, Memphis, UCincy, but PITT has done well in its own history fighting for that Fan Base in a far smaller city without the multiple changes that Pitt dealt with from Independent, Big East and now ACC and often done in by lack of foresight and commitments of poor leadership judgment choosing the latest Hot Shots just wanting to go elsewhere?

Pitt Posters get upset about Attendance but Pitt did it in 1976 and Recommitted 1996 and was a Top Basketball in 2006 in Wins, and is just Rebuilding Pitt Football and Basketball now as it keeps finding the right People to do it again. Pittsburgh has truly been blessed with Top Ownership, Management, Stars, Coaching, Fans and when Pitt gets all the Right People in place will support it again too. Pitt only been in the ACC going on just its 5th year and now in Coach Pat's Staff 3rd Year & AD Staff 1st Year and Stalling & Staff 2nd Year with growing ACC Money and Stability! I see the excellence in Coach Pat Narduzzi Commitment to Pitt much as the Pirates in 1960-70s, Steelers 1970s-2017, and Penguins 1990s-2017, and Pitt 1972-1984.

Indeed all Sports Winnings truly starts with Excellence in Finding and Keeping the Right People in Top Sports Managements on a Mission to Win first and foremost within their own vision and smarts and commitment, and sorry but those Posters that think it begins with the "The Fans" just showing up have been wrong a long time on the Attendance at Pitt and quite frankly I found laughable and watching them cry about it, just revealed they lack the Smarts how Successful Sports Franchise actually work so hard to win with foresight, vision, stable management commitment. It starts with Smart Steady Management that produces Winning, only then Fans Come, and a few on the Lair are just too dumb to know or learn it!

Pitt is not there yet, but getting there, and so little done with so much to do, but the right people are committed to Pitt Is It, again! and those on the Lair that complain about Attendance need to learn what commit is all about and Narduzzi is proving it.
Late May of 1997 and I just moved to Wayne, Chester County. There was a golf course along Swedesford Road named Valley Forge (VK just a mile or so away) that has since been leveled.
Go out as a single and am paired with two Flyer fans who instantly jump on my Penguins fandom.
I let them have their say. when they were finished I softly said "when you win something, let me know."
These guys fell silent.
The Wings swept them in four games.

Umm yeah, as a city Pittsburgh is little brother, as your post proves. Most from Philly couldn't care less about your little Midwestern city

Ummmm yeah. You guys show how little you care everytime the Pens play there and you orange clad, mouth breathing cretins are spitting obscenities at the Pens.

1975!

Umm yeah, as a city Pittsburgh is little brother, as your post proves. Most from Philly couldn't care less about your little Midwestern city
When all else fails, insult us by trying to put us in the Midwest. Would have been more accurate to do what Cleveland fans do, and make some hillbilly jokes since Pittsburgh is actually in Appalachia, although it is an oasis of civilization in said region, much the way Chicagoans aren't hayseeds, despite being in the Midwest. As a whole, 80% of Pennsylvania is just a slightly better version of West Virginia. This includes State College of course.

Really the whole NHL world outside of Pittsburgh hates Crosby, complain he is a soft, whining, pussssy, so many call him Cindy, I tend to just say, "Well looks like Cindy and her Lady Boys WIN AGAIN!" ...LOL

It's pure jealousy, I always hate the types that say, "I wouldn't want him on my team", yeah right! You'd turn down the world's best player? Gimme a break!

Ummmm yeah. You guys show how little you care everytime the Pens play there and you orange clad, mouth breathing cretins are spitting obscenities at the Pens.

1975!
Exactly. All the flyers' fan I know were posting a bunch of articles from all of the teams that the penguins played as the playoffs progressed. And obviously they were busy since the Pens played so many teams! The Pens are good, and have a good coach. Instead of being whiny babies, I wanted them to either be quiet or show respect.

Really the whole NHL world outside of Pittsburgh hates Crosby, complain he is a soft, whining, pussssy, so many call him Cindy, I tend to just say, "Well looks like Cindy and her Lady Boys WIN AGAIN!" ...LOL

It's pure jealousy, I always hate the types that say, "I wouldn't want him on my team", yeah right! You'd turn down the world's best player? Gimme a break!
It's like all the posters here who say things like "sure glad we're not UNC" or Ohio State or Michigan or Louisville or Bama when they win.

How ridiculous. Winning is fantastic. It brings glory, money, positive attention, even political power. And does nothing to hurt the rep of the university. Even with "scandals". UNC and Ohio State are considered better schools than Pitt.

And if the school is bad (like heard of Louisville or Bama), its bad due to its academic mismanagement. Frankly it probably would be WORSE if they didn't have winning sports, because at least their sports are bringing in revenue. If they suck, the school would have to supplement the athletic dept (like one near and dear to us has to) and take money away from the academics.

Moral ... or immoral, perhaps: Winning, even with 'cheating', is a lot better than losing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitt79
It's like all the posters here who say things like "sure glad we're not UNC" or Ohio State or Michigan or Louisville or Bama when they win.

How ridiculous. Winning is fantastic. It brings glory, money, positive attention, even political power. And does nothing to hurt the rep of the university. Even with "scandals". UNC and Ohio State are considered better schools than Pitt.

And if the school is bad (like heard of Louisville or Bama), its bad due to its academic mismanagement. Frankly it probably would be WORSE if they didn't have winning sports, because at least their sports are bringing in revenue. If they suck, the school would have to supplement the athletic dept (like one near and dear to us has to) and take money away from the academics.

Moral ... or immoral, perhaps: Winning, even with 'cheating', is a lot better than losing.

Amen. I love when I ask Pitt fans on this board if they would rather have the 1976 thru 1982 Pitt football teams with dubious methods on getting players and academics versus the last 6 years where the program has been very good with good academic performers and no trouble. I mean...there is no fan in their right mind who TRUTHFULLY would pick the latter.

Reactions: Pitt79

These are the same fools who call LeBron "LeBum", and are reveling in his defeat this year.

So we aren't considered part of the Northeast? I am so disappointed that we aren't lumped in with people from philly, NJ, NY and Boston.

Darn.

1 1 HE DON’T LOVE YOU (Like I Love You) –•– Tony Orlando and Dawn (Elektra)-10 (3 weeks at #1)
2 2 BEFORE THE NEXT TEARDROP FALLS –•– Freddy Fender (ABC / Dot)-16
3 4 JACKIE BLUE –•– The Ozark Mountain Daredevils (A&M)-15
4 5 SHINING STAR –•– Earth, Wind and Fire (Columbia)-14
5 8 ONLY YESTERDAY –•– The Carpenters (A&M)-8
6 6 WALKING IN RHYTHM –•– The Blackbyrds (Fantasy)-15
7 14 THANK GOD I’M A COUNTRY BOY –•– John Denver (RCA)-9
8 11 HOW LONG –•– Ace (Anchor)-11
9 10 I DON’T LIKE TO SLEEP ALONE –•– Paul Anka (with Odia Coates) (United Artists)-10
10 3 (Hey Won’t You Play) ANOTHER SOMEBODY DONE SOMEBODY WRONG SONG –•– B.J. Thomas (ABC)-16

So we aren't considered part of the Northeast? I am so disappointed that we aren't lumped in with people from philly, NJ, NY and Boston.

Darn.
I've never understood why people can't understand that the East Coast is a part of the Northeast, not the entire region. No one considers Vegas, Phoenix, or Boise to be on the West Coast, but all of those places are understood to be part of the overall West, yet people from the coast look at you like you have 3 heads if you suggest that in a country 3,000 miles wide, places 3-400 miles from the coast, like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Rochester, are part of the East. Yet, they are quick to try to assign us to a region with places like Kansas City, or Wichita, which is 1,000 miles away.

The difference between Pitt and University of Alabama is miniscule. If you include UAB (where the system focuses their medical education) it would be a step ahead.

It is amazing just how ignorant some folks are on here.

dave-chappelle-pleading-fifth-court-fif-1373500676B.gif

The difference between Pitt and University of Alabama is miniscule. If you include UAB (where the system focuses their medical education) it would be a step ahead.

Every university has areas of strength and areas of weakness ... even WVU gets accolades for some of its programs ... it's engineering department (or similar) uncovered the Volkswagen diesel engine cheating scam last year (if only the NCAA were in charge of disciplining Volkswagen, they'd never have had to go through all the ringers they've had since).

Many are dancing JIGs on the other site about Louisville receiving a slap on the wrist for it's brothel scandal (which they'll appeal and threaten to sue and it will go away, like PSU did). Like we're supposed to somehow feel superior about our awful, terrible, putrid, disgrace of a program over Louisville's because some dusty record book might affix (in pencil) an asterisk to it's wins for a couple years (until, as mentioned, the NCAA drops the whole thing like they did with Paterno's wins). One guy here takes the opportunity to frequently post novels about how awful a university Louisville is compared to Pitt.

But tell ya what, in 999 times out of a 1000, two applicants going into an interview, one a Louisville grad and one a Pitt grad, the company isn't going to run the Louisville grad out onto the loading dock because the basketball team paid for some hookers to fap the players. If anything, it will be a topic of conversation that might help the Louisville grad break the ice. And if the interviewer is a sports fan, he'll likely have a subliminal favorable opinion of Louisville thanks to to their excellent basketball, not a negative one. And more likely a negative one about Pitt for all of our collective sports f-ups, rather than admiration because our programs are "clean".

You could combine UA and UAB in some hypothetical fantasy, and it would still not be ahead of Pitt. Your last statement is absolutely right though.

Reactions: wbrpanther
Every university has areas of strength and areas of weakness ... even WVU gets accolades for some of its programs ... it's engineering department (or similar) uncovered the Volkswagen diesel engine cheating scam last year (if only the NCAA were in charge of disciplining Volkswagen, they'd never have had to go through all the ringers they've had since).

Many are dancing JIGs on the other site about Louisville receiving a slap on the wrist for it's brothel scandal (which they'll appeal and threaten to sue and it will go away, like PSU did). Like we're supposed to somehow feel superior about our awful, terrible, putrid, disgrace of a program over Louisville's because some dusty record book might affix (in pencil) an asterisk to it's wins for a couple years (until, as mentioned, the NCAA drops the whole thing like they did with Paterno's wins). One guy here takes the opportunity to frequently post novels about how awful a university Louisville is compared to Pitt.

But tell ya what, in 999 times out of a 1000, two applicants going into an interview, one a Louisville grad and one a Pitt grad, the company isn't going to run the Louisville grad out onto the loading dock because the basketball team paid for some hookers to fap the players. If anything, it will be a topic of conversation that might help the Louisville grad break the ice. And if the interviewer is a sports fan, he'll likely have a subliminal favorable opinion of Louisville thanks to to their excellent basketball, not a negative one. And more likely a negative one about Pitt for all of our collective sports f-ups, rather than admiration because our programs are "clean".

Sports scandals do little to affect the reputation of a school, but Louisville right now is an absolute mess as a university well beyond the athletic department. Serious, serious institutional problems that have landed its very accreditation on probation since December.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...major-issues-university-louisville-foundation

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ed-amid-controversies/?utm_term=.95af12691536

It does not have a good reputation right now.

Reactions: singregardless
You could combine UA and UAB in some hypothetical fantasy, and it would still not be ahead of Pitt. Your last statement is absolutely right though.
Hypothetical fantasy? It is the Alabama system. But yes, it would be. Alabama's business and law programs are far superior to Pitt. Pitt med/nursing education is a bit better than UAB. The rest of the schools are either inconsequential and/or slightly better than the other. It is ridiculous for anyone to think Pitt is vastly superior.

I didn't mention Louisville at all.

The real world. Pitt, especially as an undergraduate institution, is a fine school, but not even remotely close to a public ivy or near ivy. Obviously the most popular ranking is USNWR and the two are continually ranked overall in top 100, but never top 50.
Alabama is just outside of the top 100 at 103rd. Pitt is 68th. Louisville is a pitiful 171. For schools of local interest, CMU is 24th, State Penn is 50th, Duquesne is 124th, WVU is way back at 183rd, and RMU is at 188th. Temple is at 118th.

Hypothetical fantasy? It is the Alabama system. But yes, it would be. Alabama's business and law programs are far superior to Pitt. Pitt med/nursing education is a bit better than UAB. The rest of the schools are either inconsequential and/or slightly better than the other. It is ridiculous for anyone to think Pitt is vastly superior.

UA and UAB are in the same system, but so are UNC-Chapel Hill, NC State, East Carolina, etc, similar to UCLA, Cal, and UC San Diego, etc., similar to UT-Austin, UTEP, and UTSA, etc. They are completely different schools, same system or not. You can't just combine them, and no federal or accrediting body looks at them as the same institution. And undergrad students in Tuscaloosa certainly can't take advantage of the medical and research facilities available in Birmingham, or vice versa.

Outside of Law, and Pitt’s law school troubles have been much discussed on this forum as completely unacceptable, you’d be hard pressed to find an academic program better regarded at the entire UA system.

Pitt’s Katz Graduate School of Business is actually ranked #53 in US News, and UA's Manderson is ranked #54. Pitt's undergraduate business program is ranked #38 overall (#24 public). UA's is #63 overall. In Bloomberg’s undergrad business rankings, Pitt is #49 and UA is outside the top 114. P&Q Pitt is #40 undergrad, UA somewhere outside the top 50. Financial Times global MBA Pitt #85 (#45 US), UA not ranked. The Economist MBA Pitt #55, UA is outside the top 96. I could go on.

Overall, UA-Tuscaloosa is ranked #103 by US News for undergrad rankings (#46 public, #431 global). UAB #159. PItt is ranked #68 (#24 public and #47 global), and this is among its worst rankings. If I went into the more comprehensive rankings that include graduate metrics, it is a complete beat down of either UA school.

Here are some other programs from US News...
Undergrad engineering: Pitt #50, UA #105
Grad engineering: Pitt #42, UA #104.
Education: Pitt #27, UA #93.
Information Science: Pitt #10, UA #28
Public Affairs: Pitt #35, UA #130, UAB #68.
Nursing: Pitt #8 & #7, UAB #13 & #23.

Using 2016-17 Common data sets, admission standards number greatly favor Pitt over UA-Tuscaloosa: SAT CR+M Pitt 1285, UA 1105; freshman in top 10% of HS rank Pitt 52%, UA 37%; average GPA Pitt 4.14, UA 3.69; 6-year graduate rate: Pitt 81%, UA 69%.

Bio and health sciences blow UA-Tuscaloosa away, and are significantly better than UAB, which is a very good institution and I actually have friends on faculty there.

Pitt’s Med School is ranked #15 in research and #13 in primary care. UAB is #35 and #31. Similarly, in dozens of the other health science programs, like public health and PT, are substantially better regarded than UAB and I won’t take the time to actually list all the numbers. But the most important number is NIH research funding. For FY16, Pitt receive the 5th most allocations in the nation of any medical research institute at $476 million. UAB was #25 with $238 million. That means Pitt gets double the medical/bio research funding just from NIH, which is the most prestigious and telling source of funding. They're not that close, at all.

Pitt is a LOT closer to elite than most people realize in many areas, and in some field, actually already very elite.

Again, you were absolutely right about your last line above. It is amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: FireballZ
The real world. Pitt, especially as an undergraduate institution, is a fine school, but not even remotely close to a public ivy or near ivy. Obviously the most popular ranking is USNWR and the two are continually ranked overall in top 100, but never top 50.

Pitt was profiled in the book by Richard Moll that originally coined the phrase "Public Ivy," which obviously is a completely arbitrary distinction. But Pitt's quantitative numbers are very much in line with the top public schools...things such as average SAT scores of admitted students where Pitt is approximately in the top 15 of public schools (which includes places like Georgia Tech, William & Mary, UVA, Cal, the military academies, etc).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT