ADVERTISEMENT

Henry Miller to LB

Sarge25

Freshman
Aug 18, 2017
I thought I heard this last year when they said he would easily outgrow the cb position...but he apparently only moved to Safety. I sure hope he is bigger than the 205lbs he is listed at, but he's a hell of an athlete and adds speed to the position immediately. I'm looking forward to seeing him ouy there and how he progresses over the year.

He was moved there last week. PN expects him to be a starter early in his playing time. Just another step towards playing for the future this year.

I thought I heard this last year when they said he would easily outgrow the cb position...but he apparently only moved to Safety. I sure hope he is bigger than the 205lbs he is listed at, but he's a hell of an athlete and adds speed to the position immediately. I'm looking forward to seeing him ouy there and how he progresses over the year.

Reactions: jmcst5 and H2P-2007
Seems like a good move on the surface. I think our LBs clearly need an upgrade and hopefully Miller is enough of an athlete to make that happen. I read alot of people calling for this move earlier so hopefully it pans out.

I could see him being perfect for what Narduzzi wants to do. Miller is the type of player we can recruit and develop. This could go along way towards moving this team forward.

He was a HS CB. I assume he had to put on some muscle. We're talking about a couple weeks into his RS Freshman year?

If this is what they believe is his best position, why did they wait so long?

He's 205 lbs.
Came out of HS at 195lbs. Expectation was he would grow into LB, but until you see it, you don't know for sure. As previous poster has said, it's still his freshman year....

It's 4 games into his RS Freshman year.... we might have a different definition of "wait so long."
I'd say that is pretty long if he is still 205lbs or less. That means he needs to put on at least 20+ in the next 12 months and learn the new position or you are talking about RS JR until he can make an impact. 4th year in the program is pretty damn long before a guy is even ready to possibly contribute.

I'd say that is pretty long if he is still 205lbs or less. That means he needs to put on at least 20+ in the next 12 months and learn the new position or you are talking about RS JR until he can make an impact. 4th year in the program is pretty damn long before a guy is even ready to possibly contribute.
Lots of guys play college OLB at 215, some even at 205. I would say 225 is much more ideal but 215 would be enough at that position. Zeise and Idowu aren't much bigger.

He's been on campus 13 months, how is that pretty long? Should he have added 30lbs in 1 year? He'll learn the position this year and have the offseason to put on 20lbs. He'll then have 3 years to play fulltime at the appropriate weight.

It is obvious he was not going to contribute this year in the secondary so not that big of a deal to switch positions. LB recruits should be lining up to sign with us. Harley needs to go as recruiting coordinator.

Miller has been playing CB and safety, so he wasn't trying to bulk up at all. 205 is a pretty big weight for a DB. Now that he has been moved to LB, he can start -now- to put weight on...assuming the move is permanent.

We have depth at safety, and little at LB, so the move may have been out of necessity, but like a lot of people, I think its his more natural position. While his speed may not have been overwhelming for a DB, he will be a really fast LB, even if he puts on some weight.

He is 6-2 to 6-3, so he has the frame to put on weight without losing any speed. Zeise is an inch or two shorter, and he put on 20 lbs or so when he moved to LB and he appears to have the same speed.

Good move.

Why can't we recruit real LB's?
This has been an area of weakness for a longtime at PITT.
Narduzzi was the D coordinator for Mich St so I would have thought he would have landed some studs at LB. Because fast, tough, studs are whats required at LB not Pajama Boys!
Butkis.jpg

Lots of guys play college OLB at 215, some even at 205. I would say 225 is much more ideal but 215 would be enough at that position. Zeise and Idowu aren't much bigger.
Zeise and Idowu suck.

He's been on campus 13 months, how is that pretty long? Should he have added 30lbs in 1 year? He'll learn the position this year and have the offseason to put on 20lbs. He'll then have 3 years to play fulltime at the appropriate weight.
We don't know he is even 205. I'd bet against that. However, taking a guy from CB to LB and expecting him to be ready to contribute in a year is pretty ambitious, especially when he needs to add 20+ pounds.

It is pretty long to do it 13 months in because, essentially, the last 20 months (including after he signed) are wasted. He could have been putting on the weight and learning the position all that time. He won't get any time in live reps at LB this year, so the first hope for action is in the spring, but he will be going up against guys already familiar with the position and with a jump on the size and technique. The chance he is ready to be even a backup for the 2018 season is miniscule.

Why can't we recruit real LB's?
This has been an area of weakness for a longtime at PITT.
Narduzzi was the D coordinator for Mich St so I would have thought he would have landed some studs at LB. Because fast, tough, studs are whats required at LB not Pajama Boys!
Butkis.jpg
This actually is a long standing issue and a frustrating one. And a big reason Pitt has been stuck in mediocrity for decades.

Miller has been playing CB and safety, so he wasn't trying to bulk up at all. 205 is a pretty big weight for a DB. Now that he has been moved to LB, he can start -now- to put weight on...assuming the move is permanent.

We have depth at safety, and little at LB, so the move may have been out of necessity, but like a lot of people, I think its his more natural position. While his speed may not have been overwhelming for a DB, he will be a really fast LB, even if he puts on some weight.

He is 6-2 to 6-3, so he has the frame to put on weight without losing any speed. Zeise is an inch or two shorter, and he put on 20 lbs or so when he moved to LB and he appears to have the same speed.

Good move.

That's the key. He has the frame. It is not like this is a 5'10 190lb CB when he came here, he is listed at 6'3. So definitely can fill out to 220-225lbs I imagine.

Reactions: Jpripper88
He redshirted last year because he wasn't good enough to get on the field with one of the worst Pitt defenses ever. The staff waited until now to make the switch. This means his second year is done. If the staff would have made the switch after last season or early in spring ball, he would have had a chance this year.

Time will tell if this works out. The staff has been terrible since they got here with LBers. Recruiting has downright sucked at this position.

with recruiting unlikely to finish strong this year it might be a good time for them to hit the juco ranks for 2 LB and 2 WR. If you could get 2 guys with talent chances are you will get at least one starter for each group which would go a long way to helping in 2018

Zeise and Idowu suck.

We don't know he is even 205. I'd bet against that. However, taking a guy from CB to LB and expecting him to be ready to contribute in a year is pretty ambitious, especially when he needs to add 20+ pounds.

It is pretty long to do it 13 months in because, essentially, the last 20 months (including after he signed) are wasted. He could have been putting on the weight and learning the position all that time. He won't get any time in live reps at LB this year, so the first hope for action is in the spring, but he will be going up against guys already familiar with the position and with a jump on the size and technique. The chance he is ready to be even a backup for the 2018 season is miniscule.

Hahahahaha. Ya, how can he possibly beat out Zeise or Idowu for a starting job. McKee, Tucker, Pine, Bright, Reynolds and Nunn ate getting very little if any snaps, so what will they have over him? The LB core is garbage right now and anybody who is athletic and shows they have a nose for the ball and unafraid to hit easily beat out Zeise and Idowu.

with recruiting unlikely to finish strong this year it might be a good time for them to hit the juco ranks for 2 LB and 2 WR. If you could get 2 guys with talent chances are you will get at least one starter for each group which would go a long way to helping in 2018

No thanks, develop what you have. The kids in the pipeline need to prove themselves or get off the team.

A lot of coaches have done this over the years. Jimmy Johnson would consistently move Safeties to LB, LB to DE, DL to OL, TE to OT, etc. at The U.
Yeah wanny tried it at pitt too, move everyone down a position. Results weren't the same.

Yeah wanny tried it at pitt too, move everyone down a position. Results weren't the same.
Time will tell with Miller, but here are some position switches that worked out well for DW.

Pinkston - DL to OL
Mick Williams LB to DL
Malecki DL to OL
Dickerson WR to TE

Duzz didn't have big LBs at MSU either. It allows him to stay in his base against spread teams. The OLBs are never going to be real big, but they need to be fast. Unless they recruit Bama type LBs with size and freakish speed.

The loss of Wirginis hurts the LBs. He would likely be starting at MLB and Brightwell wouldn't be playing out of position. It forces Zeise into playing way too much. The biggest problem I see with Zeise is he's a step slow to recognize and then doesn't have the speed to make up the ground. He wasted 2 years at WR, then promptly got hurt his first game at LB. He may actually become a decent LB once he learns the position. He's just not ready to play this much.

The first TD run by the GT QB illustrates this perfectly, although Whitehead didn't do Zeise any favors by letting the QB get all the way out to the sideline while he standing almost out of bounds. Zeise had to chase all the way to the boundary, took a bad angle and it was over.

Reactions: kickassjoe
Hahahahaha. Ya, how can he possibly beat out Zeise or Idowu for a starting job. McKee, Tucker, Pine, Bright, Reynolds and Nunn ate getting very little if any snaps, so what will they have over him? The LB core is garbage right now and anybody who is athletic and shows they have a nose for the ball and unafraid to hit easily beat out Zeise and Idowu.
What will they have? Experience at the position and a huge jump on him in terms of their physical readiness to play.

The kid is a RS Fr. Some of you dopes act like he is a RS Jr. or Sr. He still needs to fill out.
Yeah, and his last 20 months have essentially been wasted and there is very little chance he is ready to contribute until he is a RS Jr.

What will they have? Experience at the position and a huge jump on him in terms of their physical readiness to play.

Yeah, and his last 20 months have essentially been wasted and there is very little chance he is ready to contribute until he is a RS Jr.

Why were they 'wasted'?

Makes no sense. He came in as a highly touted dback. We have good dbacks, we need LBers, and he is being switched. He still went through training, learned the defense, and is finding his way. Hardly wasted.

Why were they 'wasted'?

Makes no sense. He came in as a highly touted dback. We have good dbacks, we need LBers, and he is being switched. He still went through training, learned the defense, and is finding his way. Hardly wasted.
I definitely wouldn't agree we have "good dbacks" but he spent the last 20 months building his knowledge, body, and experience for 2 positions. He is behind the curve in all 3 areas. He won't get the reps this year and probably not even in the spring, as he will still be trying to just catch up physically, so the first opportunity for real reps with the top units is probably Spring 2019 and a real contribution until he is a RS JR. You are essentially resetting his clock.

I definitely wouldn't agree we have "good dbacks" but he spent the last 20 months building his knowledge, body, and experience for 2 positions. He is behind the curve in all 3 areas. He won't get the reps this year and probably not even in the spring, as he will still be trying to just catch up physically, so the first opportunity for real reps with the top units is probably Spring 2019 and a real contribution until he is a RS JR. You are essentially resetting his clock.

Probably, but I would say just resetting it half-way. And I would say the dbacks were better than he was.

He'll be on the field THIS year as a linebacker.

Time will tell with Miller, but here are some position switches that worked out well for DW.

Pinkston - DL to OL
Mick Williams LB to DL
Malecki DL to OL
Dickerson WR to TE
And here are a two that have worked out well for Narduzzi:

Aston - LB to FB
O'Neill - TE to OT

We can only hope that the move for Miller, and the one for Pugh, will work out nearly as well.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Most definitely. You keep watching for that.

Not burning redshirts to Bright, Nunn or Tucker.

Reynolds and McKee stink. You'll probably see walk-on Popp play this year before these 2.

Jalen Williams got hurt last game and will try and play through injury....

Pine and Miller will be rotating in more as the year goes on because its all they have left.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT