ADVERTISEMENT

Here's what I don't get

Fsgolfdr

Head Coach
Jan 6, 2012
Why are people openly rooting against KS , hoping that he fails ? You do realize he's the HC of team you root for .
Do I think he's the right coach , no .
Do I think he'll bring Pitt back to the BE glory days , no .
Do I think that Pitt will replace him anytime soon , no , he's here for at least two more seasons .
So I hope I'm wrong because I'm a Pitt bb fan , but a lot of others on this board are just brutal towards him , did he cheat on your sister , is he a sex offender , is he a criminal , did he steal your money or did he beat you up in grade school ? He's just a bb coach who took a job with a program that was heading in the wrong direction in a very difficult conference . That team was a senior heavy team with no talent behind them and under the best of circumstances it would take the greatest coach in the world a few seasons to turn this mess around .
Don't like him , don't like what Pitts administration did to its bb program ,stop going to the games , stop watching their games on tv and listening on radio , don't donate , hit Pitt were it hurts the most and that's in the pocketbook and if your a fan of Pitt bb hope your wrong , but KS isn't the worst human being on earth , he's just a bb coach in a tough situation .

I had no idea you felt this way.

We know he's not a good coach.
The hope was his recruiting could compensate.

It doesn't appear our recruiting on paper is any better on paper than the worst of dixon's years.

It doesn't appear our recruiting on paper is any better on paper than the worst of dixon's years.
At this point it's on paper so there's still hope there's a diamond in the rough . Last yrs was Jamie's best class in yrs until we saw them play ! Let's see them play then you can bitch if you need too .

In my opinion, a lot of the people who became Pitt BB fans as front runners while Pitt was having great success were fans of the success, not Pitt BB per se. Among that group were the Jamie Dixon devotees who seemed more Dixon fans than Pitt BB fans. On the other hand were those who thought Pitt deserved better than 20 + win seasons and NCAA appearances most years. They were the ones who wanted Dixon gone because he hadn't taken the team to Final 4 or won a NC.

Stallings is just a guy who was offered what appeared to be a good job and took it. The Dixon lovers hated him from the start because he wasn't JD, the "nothing but Final 4's" crowd hated him from the start because they thought Pitt should have landed a blue blood coach.

These are people that generally bitch about pretty much anything. That's what it boils down to. It's funny to see folks who continually post the same negative crap, mocking the OP for posting such a "fresh take"

Really? Just looking at rankings, our current class is 51st nationally. We were ranked 101 last year, 81 in 2015, 84 in 2014. 2014 wasn't a bad year (typical JD overachieving class) but the 15 and 16 classes found a way to under perform against already low rankings. You'd have to go back to 2013 to find a better ranked class (29). Yes, Dixon recruited much better than this up until 2014 but you can't say the current class is at the low level we have seen over the past three years.

I don't read too much into ratings and rankings but on paper its better. We'll see how it pans out.

Reactions: PITTLAW and bobfree
In my opinion, a lot of the people who became Pitt BB fans as front runners while Pitt was having great success

This is true. I'm comparing the current situation against the very low bar of the Willard years and I know it could be far worse. Doesn't mean I like where we are at but I'm certainly not as apoplectic as others.

In my opinion, a lot of the people who became Pitt BB fans as front runners while Pitt was having great success were fans of the success, not Pitt BB per se. Among that group were the Jamie Dixon devotees who seemed more Dixon fans than Pitt BB fans. On the other hand were those who thought Pitt deserved better than 20 + win seasons and NCAA appearances most years. They were the ones who wanted Dixon gone because he hadn't taken the team to Final 4 or won a NC.

Stallings is just a guy who was offered what appeared to be a good job and took it. The Dixon lovers hated him from the start because he wasn't JD, the "nothing but Final 4's" crowd hated him from the start because they thought Pitt should have landed a blue blood coach.

These are people that generally bitch about pretty much anything. That's what it boils down to. It's funny to see folks who continually post the same negative crap, mocking the OP for posting such a "fresh take"
It just never ends and it's just silly reading the same crap over and over again . If Pitt was such a bb power JD would've never left ( or pushed ) , the roster would contain only top notch players , Pitt would be a power in the ACC and a big time coach would've jumped at the opportunity to coach Pitt in the ACC .
It's just time for everyone to sit back and see what KS can do in the next 6 months of recruiting , the last few days have been his best and we're all mistaken or maybe not .

Some just want him gone as soon as possible because they want better results for Pitt than Stallings produced at Vandy and are willing to take their chances on any other coach even if it is an unknown young guy. It's not any more complicated than that for many fans -- aside from those who unrealistically wanted a Miller or a Calipari. In short, without a Miller or Calipari, they would have preferred if Pitt had "rolled the dice" on an unknown rather than (safely?) settling for a known very average coach.

Really? Just looking at rankings, our current class is 51st nationally. We were ranked 101 last year, 81 in 2015, 84 in 2014. 2014 wasn't a bad year (typical JD overachieving class) but the 15 and 16 classes found a way to under perform against already low rankings. You'd have to go back to 2013 to find a better ranked class (29). Yes, Dixon recruited much better than this up until 2014 but you can't say the current class is at the low level we have seen over the past three years.

I don't read too much into ratings and rankings but on paper its better. We'll see how it pans out.

Those rankings usually give too much weight to the number of recruits (no of recruits X no of stars). And with the large number in this class it's likely Pitt is higher in the rankings because of it. I'm not saying this class is good or bad - only that these rankings can be misleading.

Reactions: rockypanther

Recruiting is not where I hoped, but it is infinitely better than Dixon's last 3 years.Stallings has currently recruited 6 freshmen and 1 recruit to start a foundation of a team.

Dixon recruited 5 freshmen in 3 years (2 lowly recruited LOCAL recruits) and basically continually tried to patch. That does not build a team.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Some just want him gone as soon as possible because they want better results for Pitt than Stallings produced at Vandy and are willing to take their chances on any other coach even if it is an unknown young guy. It's not any more complicated than that for many fans -- aside from those who unrealistically wanted a Miller or a Calipari. In short, without a Miller or Calipari, they would have preferred if Pitt had "rolled the dice" on an unknown rather than (safely?) settling for a known very average coach.
I understand that , but hey hired KS and a change is not going to happen for several yrs at the least . I wanted to win the powerball last week ,it didn't happen I've moved on .

Those rankings usually give too much weight to the number of recruits (no of recruits X no of stars). And with the large number in this class it's likely Pitt is higher in the rankings because of it. I'm not saying this class is good or bad - only that these rankings can be misleading.

For sure. Some of those recent sub-par years were bolstered by mediocre grad transfers because we couldn't fill out classes. Maybe I am oversimplifying things but I take the grad transfers into account as well. But yes, I do agree this class is based on quantity. I still see decent upside in a number of these guys.

Also, Nix was rated as the 48th best recruit in 2015? Or is that the 48th best juco player. Either way, he certainly boosted our ranking (to 81) that year.

Personally, I can't turn on a Pitt game or attend one and root for a loss. If they go 4-30 next year, I'll root for a firing, but I will root for wins every game.

Recruiting is not where I hoped, but it is infinitely better than Dixon's last 3 years.Stallings has currently recruited 6 freshmen and 1 recruit to start a foundation of a team.

Dixon recruited 5 freshmen in 3 years (2 lowly recruited LOCAL recruits) and basically continually tried to patch. That does not build a team.

Yep, pretty much nailed it.

He is not a criminal.
Any good news specifically linked to an athlete choosing Pitt as their school should be received in a totally positive way, IMHO.
Again, Coach Stallings is not a criminal, which is great for the program.

What a refreshingly new topic for discussion.
Always positive , do you ever have anything to add that's not negative . It must be great to be you .
What's great for you is if they keep KS for yrs you'll have have so much to be miserable about . Have a nice day !

Reactions: NCanton Panther
I don't disagree with anything you laid out in your argument. Right or wrong, the criticism of pro sports gets leveled at the athlete - they are paid, they earned it. College sports is different, and as coaches are generally the most visible, often the face of the program – and for that they generally draw the criticism from fans, alumni and media. Stallings has not been afraid to reshape the roster to meet his expectations. The frustration for many alumni and fans of the Pitt program is that the road to its return to being more than just a respectable may take longer than they are willing to be patient for.
Why are people openly rooting against KS , hoping that he fails ? You do realize he's the HC of team you root for. ...
Don't like him , don't like what Pitts administration did to its bb program ,stop going to the games , stop watching their games on tv and listening on radio , don't donate , hit Pitt were it hurts the most and that's in the pocketbook and if your a fan of Pitt bb hope your wrong , but KS isn't the worst human being on earth , he's just a bb coach in a tough situation .

You must be new here.

This fan is glad they didn't roll the dice. And Stallings is a good coach; bad coaches don't win 500 games. Whether he is a good fit for Pitt will be determined in a few years.

Reactions: FireballZ
I don't disagree with anything you laid out in your argument. Right or wrong, the criticism of pro sports gets leveled at the athlete - they are paid, they earned it. College sports is different, and as coaches are generally the most visible, often the face of the program – and for that they generally draw the criticism from fans, alumni and media. Stallings has not been afraid to reshape the roster to meet his expectations. The frustration for many alumni and fans of the Pitt program is that the road to its return to being more than just a respectable may take longer than they are willing to be patient for.

True statement on lack of patience. It is also exacerbated by the belief by many that Stallings isn't capable to getting Pitt to being more than merely respectable no matter how much time is given. Thus he is seen as representing a wrong turn or dead end in the desired path forward. This leads to an even greater feelings of impatience.

Reactions: heybandguy
This fan is glad they didn't roll the dice. And Stallings is a good coach; bad coaches don't win 500 games. Whether he is a good fit for Pitt will be determined in a few years.

Good is in the eyes of the beholder. It depends on one's measuring stick. Many Pitt fans after the Howland-Dixon era believe that anyone who doesn't have his teams make the NCAAs annually is by their definition not a good coach regardless of total career wins.

Unrealistic expectation? Perhaps; but that is what we have in much of Pitt fandom. It is very similar to what has lingered with Pitt football since the end of the Majors I - Sherrill era.

Good is in the eyes of the beholder. It depends on one's measuring stick. Many Pitt fans after the Howland-Dixon era believe that anyone who doesn't have his teams make the NCAAs annually is by their definition not a good coach regardless of total career wins.

Unrealistic expectation? Perhaps; but that is what we have in much of Pitt fandom. It is very similar to what has lingered with Pitt football since the end of the Majors I - Sherrill era.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even when it's wrong.

Reactions: FireballZ and gary2
You're not wrong. :)
Constantly bitching won't do anything to change the situation at Pitt . How many months must this go on ? Constantly bad mouthing the coaches and the new recruits while talking up those who left doesn't change a thing . You've got three choices
1.) stop following Pitt bb
2.) sit back and see if KS in time can turn things around or is replaced
3.) bitch about everything
If Pitt bb is painful for you to follow there's an easy solution ... stop following until there's a change . Your life will be happier . One thing Pitt fans should've learned by now is that change isn't always for the best and thinking the next HC is the answer......

Tap the breaks. Are we allowed to joke on this board, even a bit?
I'm disappointed how things have shook out the last three months, but I'm not going to take any shots at the players KS is bringing in. I don't recall any of my post badmouthing KS either. You cannot expect fans and alumni of the BH/JD era who grew to expect winning, expect a NCAAT appearance to not be disappointed or frustrated. It's okay to expect better. How people choose to deal with their frustration is their business. KS is remaking the entire program with the players that will fit his style and expectations. However it plays out will be on him. As for happier, I survived as a fan through the Willard years for a reason- I cheer for Pitt.
Constantly bitching won't do anything to change the situation at Pitt . How many months must this go on ? Constantly bad mouthing the coaches and the new recruits while talking up those who left doesn't change a thing . You've got three choices
If Pitt bb is painful for you to follow there's an easy solution ... stop following until there's a change . Your life will be happier . One thing Pitt fans should've learned by now is that change isn't always for the best and thinking the next HC is the answer......

Tap the breaks. Are we allowed to joke on this board, even a bit?
I'm disappointed how things have shook out the last three months, but I'm not going to take any shots at the players KS is bringing in. I don't recall any of my post badmouthing KS either. You cannot expect fans and alumni of the BH/JD era who grew to expect winning, expect a NCAAT appearance to not be disappointed or frustrated. It's okay to expect better. How people choose to deal with their frustration is their business. KS is remaking the entire program with the players that will fit his style and expectations. However it plays out will be on him. As for happier, I survived as a fan through the Willard years for a reason- I cheer for Pitt.
Everyone should be and most likely are very disappointed in what's happened to Pitt bb. My jab wasn't intended for you , but for the one who you responded to , who is constantly belittling everyone . It's time to let it go and see how this all works out . Everything that needs to said that's negative has been said a million times .

Reactions: heybandguy

Totally disagree with your last statement. Not one kid from Jamie's left overs were high D-1 players. At least KS has recruited some play makers and shooters. Let's see how they perform before calling him out on this.

Reactions: gary2
God forbid anyone say anything that isn't 100% positive about the program. They're labeled a JIG or an overly negative poster.

What tripe.
No , it's just the same old shit over and over again . Everyone on here knows all the negative stuff that's been rehashed over and over again . Look at the recent coaching change how everyone jumped to the conclusion that something was wrong when it turned out to be a health issue . There will be plenty to bitch about once the season starts !

No , it's just the same old shit over and over again . Everyone on here knows all the negative stuff that's been rehashed over and over again . Look at the recent coaching change how everyone jumped to the conclusion that something was wrong when it turned out to be a health issue . There will be plenty to bitch about once the season starts !

Given you're the one who started this thread your line about SOS is QUITE rich.

Given you're the one who started this thread your line about SOS is QUITE rich.
No , I would like to see those who constantly bash everything Pitt bb and KS to give it a break . What purpose is it doing to go on and on what a horrible human being KS is when no one knows him personally . How he's 100% responsible for this mess . The next six months will tell us everything we need to know about the future of Pitt bb under KS . If these recruits aren't up to snuff and the early signing period is disappointing then bring the bitching back . It's time for a summer break and if they play at Montour then comment on how this guy doesn't have it or whose a player or project .

No , I would like to see those who constantly bash everything Pitt bb and KS to give it a break . What purpose is it doing to go on and on what a horrible human being KS is when no one knows him personally . How he's 100% responsible for this mess . The next six months will tell us everything we need to know about the future of Pitt bb under KS . If these recruits aren't up to snuff and the early signing period is disappointing then bring the bitching back . It's time for a summer break and if they play at Montour then comment on how this guy doesn't have it or whose a player or project .

Right. Which is just the SOS exactly as I said. But from the side who wants to give him a chance. I think his track record isn't all that great - he's done ok but I don't think we upgraded. But I do tend to agree we don't know if he'll succeed here. He'll probably live or die based on the 2018 class. I have my doubts but I'm open minded. However nothing you've said is new - hence SOS.

Reactions: levance2
Why are people openly rooting against KS , hoping that he fails ? You do realize he's the HC of team you root for .
Do I think he's the right coach , no .
Do I think he'll bring Pitt back to the BE glory days , no .
Do I think that Pitt will replace him anytime soon , no , he's here for at least two more seasons .
So I hope I'm wrong because I'm a Pitt bb fan , but a lot of others on this board are just brutal towards him , did he cheat on your sister , is he a sex offender , is he a criminal , did he steal your money or did he beat you up in grade school ? He's just a bb coach who took a job with a program that was heading in the wrong direction in a very difficult conference . That team was a senior heavy team with no talent behind them and under the best of circumstances it would take the greatest coach in the world a few seasons to turn this mess around .

I don't know what others want but I hope Stallings does really well. I'm candidly not optimistic, but we'll see. What I don't want is mediocre to bad performances that allow Stallings to linger for several years. The best outcome is to succeed, the next best is to fail very quickly and get replaced, the worst outcome is lingering mediocrity and gradual decay of the program. Just my 2 cents.

Cruzer

Reactions: Haydman
Even gary2 has been bitching, and he's Stallings biggest apologist!

Reactions: levance2
not sure who said KS is a horrible human being, horrible coach maybe, but not human being.

There will be two things that become crystal clear in the coming years.

1) The best X's and O's college basketball coach that Pitt has had or will have is gone.

2) That same coach along with the staff the last 4 years of his tenure will be proven to be the worst staff possibly ever assembled to recruit basketball players at the power 5 level.

Reactions: FireballZ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT