ADVERTISEMENT

Here's what I don't get

Here's the thing, rooting for the coach to fail for your favorite team is akin to rooting for a pilot of the jet you are on to fail or the President of the US to fail. And trust me, there are alot of people doing the latter. But college sports is like former more than the latter. You die. The program dies. As for the latter, well mostly you can survive a Presidential failure and hope for a change in direction. Pro sports is alot like this because you also get compensated with better draft picks. So there ya go. You can root for failure. I rooted for the Pens to lose when Lemieux was coming into the league. Win. I rooted for the Steelers to lose when Ben was coming into the league. Win. And again as I mentioned before, I rooted for Pens coach Mike Johnston to fail as quickly as possible so they can make a change. Big win.

But damn, it is hard to ultimately root against Pitt because unlike those teams, we don't have a real good track record of making the right move to counter a bad move. So it is a much more tenuous.and risky path to take.

No coach is the right coach until he proves he's the right coach.....how quickly Pitt fans forget their opinions on the Ben Howland hire .......that 1 one should have been enough to humble & shut up the basketball no nothings on this site if they had any self awareness or humility to speak of.....but many of our Lair members cannot help themselves from themselves.

H2 PITT !!!

No coach is the right coach until he proves he's the right coach.....how quickly Pitt fans forget their opinions on the Ben Howland hire .......that 1 one should have been enough to humble & shut up the basketball no nothings on this site if they had any self awareness or humility to speak of.....but many of our Lair members cannot help themselves from themselves.

H2 PITT !!!
I was going to reply but honestly it takes too much brain power to figure out what your saying here.

Can't you get banned again?
There are some truly miserable people on here that are tough to read, but there are few things more annoying than the personality type of someone who is extremely unfunny yet tries to constantly be funny because in their mind they think that they are in fact, funny!

There are some truly miserable people on here that are tough to read, but there are few things more annoying than the personality type of someone who is extremely unfunny yet tries to constantly be funny because in their mind they think that they are in fact, funny!
I wasn't trying to be funny, I was stating a fact. Strange you thought it was humor.

Reactions: levance2
There will be two things that become crystal clear in the coming years.

1) The best X's and O's college basketball coach that Pitt has had or will have is gone.

2) That same coach along with the staff the last 4 years of his tenure will be proven to be the worst staff possibly ever assembled to recruit basketball players at the power 5 level.
Well they certainly couldn't recruit .

This fan is glad they didn't roll the dice. And Stallings is a good coach; bad coaches don't win 500 games. Whether he is a good fit for Pitt will be determined in a few years.
If you don't want to spend money for a great established coach, I for one would rather go after some guy in his late 30s or 40s who's been taking some mid major to the Dance recently, why not?

I rooted for Mike Johnston to fail so he would get fired. That worked out pretty well.

LOL, I did too. Can honestly say that is the first time I ever rooted against a team that I followed. I just couldn't stand that moron and have no idea how they hired him in the first place. He is literally the only coach that could make Crosby and Malkin average players at best. He was awful.

LOL, I did too. Can honestly say that is the first time I ever rooted against a team that I followed. I just couldn't stand that moron and have no idea how they hired him in the first place. He is literally the only coach that could make Crosby and Malkin average players at best. He was awful.

Where you seriously able to be watching the game rooting for the opponent and cheering when they scored etc? I couldn't do that! And I hated Johnston too, it was like hiring a high school coach IMO, wasn't he from some junior league or something? But still, I couldn't root against them.

Where you seriously able to be watching the game rooting for the opponent and cheering when they scored etc? I couldn't do that! And I hated Johnston too, it was like hiring a high school coach IMO, wasn't he from some junior league or something? But still, I couldn't root against them.

Well, I quit watching after a certain point so it is not like I watched game after game and cheered when the other team scored. So maybe I didn't technically root against them. I was so aggravated with him that I just stopped watching and stopped caring. I admit I did hope they would lose though to expedite his departure. He was as clueless an NHL coach as I ever saw.

And yea he came from some junior team.

No , it's just the same old shit over and over again . Everyone on here knows all the negative stuff that's been rehashed over and over again . Look at the recent coaching change how everyone jumped to the conclusion that something was wrong when it turned out to be a health issue . There will be plenty to bitch about once the season starts !
health issue?? What??

Oh trust me, I was pissed at Sid too. Mario would have marched into Rutherford's office and demanded "he goes or I go", back in the day. But Sid doesn't do stuff like that. Still, it sure seems like Sid didn't exactly give his best, but that is what happens when there is no faith in the leadership.

Here's the thing, rooting for the coach to fail for your favorite team is akin to rooting for a pilot of the jet you are on to fail or the President of the US to fail. And trust me, there are alot of people doing the latter. But college sports is like former more than the latter. You die. The program dies. As for the latter, well mostly you can survive a Presidential failure and hope for a change in direction. Pro sports is alot like this because you also get compensated with better draft picks. So there ya go. You can root for failure. I rooted for the Pens to lose when Lemieux was coming into the league. Win. I rooted for the Steelers to lose when Ben was coming into the league. Win. And again as I mentioned before, I rooted for Pens coach Mike Johnston to fail as quickly as possible so they can make a change. Big win.

But damn, it is hard to ultimately root against Pitt because unlike those teams, we don't have a real good track record of making the right move to counter a bad move. So it is a much more tenuous.and risky path to take.
Nahhh.....it's rooting to cut out a tumor to stop it from spreading. The pain is for a shorter period of time.
I want Pitt to win every game....but believe KS won't get us to .500, so why prolong the agony? Bozik screwed FB. Barnes screwed BB. Will we wait 30 years to become relevant again?? Hint: I won't.

Nahhh.....it's rooting to cut out a tumor to stop it from spreading. The pain is for a shorter period of time.
I want Pitt to win every game....but believe KS won't get us to .500, so why prolong the agony? Bozik screwed FB. Barnes screwed BB. Will we wait 30 years to become relevant again?? Hint: I won't.

I understand that. As I mentioned an example with the Penguins, that turned out unbelievably well. But that is the Pens. They have made some terrific moves over the last 30 some years. Pitt?? Not so much.

I'd like to see Pitt compete for national championships in fb and bb every year , but I don't think ( actually I know ) Pitts administration doesn't feel the same way . Sure they say their serious about competing , but they won't put the assets into winning at that level . In bb I think their threshold is .500 in conference record and I do think in time KS can accomplish this . What we want doesn't really matter , it's what they want and they want respectable teams at a reasonable cost that doesn't embrass the university . That doesn't equate into a championship caliber teams .

I'd like to see Pitt compete for national championships in fb and bb every year , but I don't think ( actually I know ) Pitts administration doesn't feel the same way . Sure they say their serious about competing , but they won't put the assets into winning at that level . In bb I think their threshold is .500 in conference record and I do think in time KS can accomplish this . What we want doesn't really matter , it's what they want and they want respectable teams at a reasonable cost that doesn't embrass the university . That doesn't equate into a championship caliber teams .
Nothing, except perhaps (and sadly only perhaps) something as other-world horrific as the PSU rape scandal is more embarrassing than your program being a hopeless loser. Not talking .500 "respectable" schleps ... but the nearly winless, sportscaster-punchline, bag over the head variety we're almost sure to be for at least two more years.

Look no further than the mid to late 90s. Football was that bad and it definitely was a drag on the overall university. Really still haven't recovered in some ways. It contributes to why the university gets regularly shat on politically. UPMC and Pitt should be revered here but are closer to detested. Politicians couldn't get away with that if the populace loved the university but the general feeling is closer to the opposite. So it's s convenient whipping boy.

There are reasons beyond sports of course, but poor sports certainly haven't helped. Great sports on the other hand could transcend that. Geez, look at the love for the Pens, which extends to their organization... an org that threatened to screw and leave the city a decade ago and is mangling, or at best doing nothing, the old arena site development effort (which was handed to them for free because the team was popular ... for winning!).

Wish that weren't true, but it is.

Nothing, except perhaps (and sadly only perhaps) something as other-world horrific as the PSU rape scandal is more embarrassing than your program being a hopeless loser. Not talking .500 "respectable" schleps ... but the nearly winless, sportscaster-punchline, bag over the head variety we're almost sure to be for at least two more years.

Look no further than the mid to late 90s. Football was that bad and it definitely was a drag on the overall university. Really still haven't recovered in some ways. It contributes to why the university gets regularly shat on politically. UPMC and Pitt should be revered here but are closer to detested. Politicians couldn't get away with that if the populace loved the university but the general feeling is closer to the opposite. So it's s convenient whipping boy.

There are reasons beyond sports of course, but poor sports certainly haven't helped. Great sports on the other hand could transcend that. Geez, look at the love for the Pens, which extends to their organization... an org that threatened to screw and leave the city a decade ago and is mangling, or at best doing nothing, the old arena site development effort (which was handed to them for free because the team was popular ... for winning!).

Wish that weren't true, but it is.
I attended the Univ. of Oregon graduation over the weekend. Amazing level of intensity & happiness. The Ducks have created a great atmosphere on that campus. Even the President yelled "Go Ducks!" at the end of his brief comments. I've not been to a Pitt graduation, but I'd bet the excitement level wasn't close.
After they moved their tassles, they played "Shout" and the whole place erupted. Amazing....and a lot of fun. The Matthew Knight center is a beautiful gym, too.

I don't even call him a horrible coach. He's a mediocre coach currently doing a horrible job.

I could not possibly agree with this more. He is very much a known quantity. Worse than Dixon, but not the worst coach in a power conference. Decidedly mediocre. He is, however, making major mistakes every step of the way here.

It's almost impossible for me to ever get behind rooting for your team to fail. I can't even watch a single game and want my team to lose.

The only one exception I can think of was wanting the Pens to lose the final game of 1984 to get Lemieux.

My expectation are that this coming year is going to be very, very poor. But I'll be at every game wanting to see a win.

Just how I am, I guess.

He was as clueless an NHL coach as I ever saw.

You must have never seen Pierre Creamer when he was here.

Here is an example of how clueless Creamer was. Going into the last day of the 1987-1988 season there were still three teams in play for the last playoff spot in the Patrick Division. The Penguins were one point behind both the Devils and the Rangers. Because the Devils had more wins than the Pens (and the Rangers too) the Penguins couldn't tie and have the Devils and Rangers lose and make the playoffs. If that happened the Pens would lose the tiebreaker. So the Pens had to win and the Devils had to lose, and I don't remember for sure if the Pens or the Rangers would win a two way tiebreaker but the Pens also needed either a Rangers loss or perhaps a Rangers tie.

Everyone in the whole world knew this. All you had to do was look at the standing and it was obvious. But no, everyone in the whole world did not know this. Pierre Cramer didn't know. He thought the Pens could still make the playoffs with a tie. Going into the third period the Pens had a one goal lead. Players on the bench were trying to convince Creamer that if the game became tied at the end the Pens needed to pull their goalie because they had to win to make the playoffs. Creamer told them they were wrong. It wasn't until Creamer's assistant told him that the players were right that Creamer finally got it and agreed that they would pull the goalie if the game was tied in the last minutes.

Fortunately for the Pens they were ahead at the end and actually scored an empty netter themselves to clinch the win. Unfortunately for the Pens, both the Devils and Rangers also won, so the Pens ended up in sixth place out of the playoffs. That was one of those years that the Pens finished in sixth with a better record than at least one playoff team in every other division, and the Pens would have been in second comfortably if they were in the Norris Division. But alas, it was not good enough.

Edited to add, it should come as no surprise that Creamer was fired right after the season ended and never coached another game in the NHL.

You must have never seen Pierre Creamer when he was here.

Here is an example of how clueless Creamer was. Going into the last day of the 1987-1988 season there were still three teams in play for the last playoff spot in the Patrick Division. The Penguins were one point behind both the Devils and the Rangers. Because the Devils had more wins than the Pens (and the Rangers too) the Penguins couldn't tie and have the Devils and Rangers lose and make the playoffs. If that happened the Pens would lose the tiebreaker. So the Pens had to win and the Devils had to lose, and I don't remember for sure if the Pens or the Rangers would win a two way tiebreaker but the Pens also needed either a Rangers loss or perhaps a Rangers tie.

Everyone in the whole world knew this. All you had to do was look at the standing and it was obvious. But no, everyone in the whole world did not know this. Pierre Cramer didn't know. He thought the Pens could still make the playoffs with a tie. Going into the third period the Pens had a one goal lead. Players on the bench were trying to convince Creamer that if the game became tied at the end the Pens needed to pull their goalie because they had to win to make the playoffs. Creamer told them they were wrong. It wasn't until Creamer's assistant told him that the players were right that Creamer finally got it and agreed that they would pull the goalie if the game was tied in the last minutes.

Fortunately for the Pens they were ahead at the end and actually scored an empty netter themselves to clinch the win. Unfortunately for the Pens, both the Devils and Rangers also won, so the Pens ended up in sixth place out of the playoffs. That was one of those years that the Pens finished in sixth with a better record than at least one playoff team in every other division, and the Pens would have been in second comfortably if they were in the Norris Division. But alas, it was not good enough.

Edited to add, it should come as no surprise that Creamer was fired right after the season ended and never coached another game in the NHL.

I was 10 at the time so my only memories then were of Mario. LOL. Interesting story. How could a coach be so clueless. Wow.

ADVERTISEMENT