ADVERTISEMENT

High School NIL

Pitt_Boss

Freshman
Dec 15, 2008
The PIAA yesterday approved high school athletes in PA to receive NIL money. Rodney Gallagher was the first to sign a deal, about 2 hours after the announcement. I think we will see blue chip athletes across the state getting paid regularly now. (what kind of $$ could the next Terrelle Pryor/Lavar Arrington type get??)

But what I'm really wondering is how long until the private schools with rich donors start buying up HS kids like they are USC?

45 years ago, I hit four HRs in a Little League game. In today's world, I'd be hiring an agent to see what kind of NIL deal I could get from a local pizza shop or Dairy Queen.

Reactions: pbrad and Ronnyp91
The PIAA yesterday approved high school athletes in PA to receive NIL money. Rodney Gallagher was the first to sign a deal, about 2 hours after the announcement. I think we will see blue chip athletes across the state getting paid regularly now. (what kind of $$ could the next Terrelle Pryor/Lavar Arrington type get??)

But what I'm really wondering is how long until the private schools with rich donors start buying up HS kids like they are USC?

Almost $0. HS athletes bring almost no value to companies. College athletes don't bring much more. Where the college kids get paid are the booster pay for play NILs. These don't exist in HS unless you have some booster group from Central Catholic paying kids to transfer there. Beyond that, these HS kids may get $500 to appear on billboard or $1000 to do an autograph signing. Now, a kid like LeBron James, yes, they would sign a deal with Nike in HS for millions. Maybe even a Pryor or Arrington, seen as generational talents, may have signed legitimate national deals with national companies looking to "lock in" these players early.

Almost $0. HS athletes bring almost no value to companies. College athletes don't bring much more. Where the college kids get paid are the booster pay for play NILs. These don't exist in HS unless you have some booster group from Central Catholic paying kids to transfer there. Beyond that, these HS kids may get $500 to appear on billboard or $1000 to do an autograph signing. Now, a kid like LeBron James, yes, they would sign a deal with Nike in HS for millions. Maybe even a Pryor or Arrington, seen as generational talents, may have signed legitimate national deals with national companies looking to "lock in" these players early.
I'm not talking national NIL deals for 7 figures. You could probably get a good HS player, from a meager background, to go PCC for $25k + plus tuition. You don't think they have donors that can afford that? Heck, jut a couple years ago some millionaire was paying HS baseball players to go to SetonLesalle. Baseball!

Plus, don't just think the Catholic Schools. There are donors to Sewickley Academy, Shady Side Academy, etc. that drop $25k on a good night out with friends.

I'm not talking national NIL deals for 7 figures. You could probably get a good HS player, from a meager background, to go PCC for $25k + plus tuition. You don't think they have donors that can afford that? Heck, jut a couple years ago some millionaire was paying HS baseball players to go to SetonLesalle. Baseball!

Plus, don't just think the Catholic Schools. There are donors to Sewickley Academy, Shady Side Academy, etc. that drop $25k on a good night out with friends.

Lets use Quinton Martin, a 5 star. Does Central Catholic or Seton LaSalle have a donor that needs to see their HS win enough to pay him $25K/50K/100K? It seems unrealistic that some booster needs to see their local HS team win that badly. And even if so, a kid like that will be making 7 figures or close to it in college. Would $25K be enough for him to leave his friends/hometown? He is going to be very rich (by 18 year old standards) very shortly.

I think you underestimate the value of getting money TODAY, regardless of amount, for those that need it.

Of course, most wealthy people wouldn't pay HS athletes, but it only takes a few. Also keep in mind the amounts we are talking about aren't a lot to wealthy people. I don't have particular interest in a Quentin Martin coming to Char Valley next year to play with my son. But if someone said "if you throw in $100, we can get him here" then I'd probably throw the $100 because it's not that much to me and would bring me marginal entertainment value. Now, imagine I'm worth $5 million and they ask for $10k from me...it's small potatoes to me so i might give it.

But the biggest factor I think, is wealthy people who have kids on the team. We've seen the lengths people will go to prop up their kids....get coaches fired/join school boards/pay thousands to personal trainers/etc. Some millionaire with an average athlete for a son - but Dad thinks his son is actually the next Dan Marino - will gladly pay for a stud WR to transfer to the school where his son is the QB.

Lets use Quinton Martin, a 5 star. Does Central Catholic or Seton LaSalle have a donor that needs to see their HS win enough to pay him $25K/50K/100K? It seems unrealistic that some booster needs to see their local HS team win that badly. And even if so, a kid like that will be making 7 figures or close to it in college. Would $25K be enough for him to leave his friends/hometown? He is going to be very rich (by 18 year old standards) very shortly.
As usual, your outrage is misdirected. It's infinitely more likely that a wealthy donor from a P5 blue blood funnels money to a blue chip to get a commitment.

Honestly, who cares. HS athletes get special treatment anyway. It's not like this matters at all.

45 years ago, I hit four HRs in a Little League game. In today's world, I'd be hiring an agent to see what kind of NIL deal I could get from a local pizza shop or Dairy Queen.
The Pirates have already floated you on waivers to find out who might want to take on your contract.

As usual, your outrage is misdirected. It's infinitely more likely that a wealthy donor from a P5 blue blood funnels money to a blue chip to get a commitment.

Honestly, who cares. HS athletes get special treatment anyway. It's not like this matters at all.

They dont need HS NIL laws to do that. Gallagher already has a 200K deal with WVU. Players already have these deals.

I think you underestimate the value of getting money TODAY, regardless of amount, for those that need it.

Of course, most wealthy people wouldn't pay HS athletes, but it only takes a few. Also keep in mind the amounts we are talking about aren't a lot to wealthy people. I don't have particular interest in a Quentin Martin coming to Char Valley next year to play with my son. But if someone said "if you throw in $100, we can get him here" then I'd probably throw the $100 because it's not that much to me and would bring me marginal entertainment value. Now, imagine I'm worth $5 million and they ask for $10k from me...it's small potatoes to me so i might give it.

But the biggest factor I think, is wealthy people who have kids on the team. We've seen the lengths people will go to prop up their kids....get coaches fired/join school boards/pay thousands to personal trainers/etc. Some millionaire with an average athlete for a son - but Dad thinks his son is actually the next Dan Marino - will gladly pay for a stud WR to transfer to the school where his son is the QB.

You make a good point about some very wealthy person who has a kid on the team. But I still think the amount of Quinton Martin's transferring high schools for NIL will be like 1 or 2 in a 10 year period in the WPIAL if that.

Does the NIL change transfers rules? Because if you transfer after your freshman year for anything deemed as athletic intent, the PIAA can ban you from postseason play. I’m pretty sure EA had their best football player (RB) ineligible for playoffs due to transferring in as a junior.

Does the NIL change transfers rules? Because if you transfer after your freshman year for anything deemed as athletic intent, the PIAA can ban you from postseason play. I’m pretty sure EA had their best football player (RB) ineligible for playoffs due to transferring in as a junior.

No. But why did the PIAA uphold that? I thought they were pretty liberal in overturning the WPIAL. Doesnt TJ have a D1 QB from Bethel Park sitting out also?

I went back and looked, the WPIAL suspended the EA RB for the post season, it didn’t say if he appealed to PIAA or not.

No. But why did the PIAA uphold that? I thought they were pretty liberal in overturning the WPIAL. Doesnt TJ have a D1 QB from Bethel Park sitting out also?
Yes, but from what I hear, he is only a D1 QB in his dad's opinion. If THAT dad had a million bucks, he'd definitely buy some NIL players for his son to play with. He is already wasting a bunch of money to have two residences, one in TJ and one in Bethel.

That being said, the decision to make the kid ineligible at TJ this year goes against years of their own precedent - he transferred before 10th grade and moved into the school district, he absolutely should be allowed to play. Funny part is he transferred FROM Seton who cried about it...Seton the school with coaches suspended in football & baseball for recruiting kids (in those cases, coaches got suspended but all the players were eligible).

Parents from a local HS turned 2 kids into WPIAL, that tried to transfer into the district, because they may have taken playing time away from “home grown” kids. They showed up at a Summer practice and 2 days later they were gone. The AD was contacted by someone in WPIAL about it. I’m betting this happens a lot more often than people think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT