ADVERTISEMENT

HL/JC relationship

pitt90seven

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2013
reportedly not the best. but these two have to realize their fortunes are tied.

heather may want a bigger job and that's perfectly fine. but she's not getting a better job with a basketball program in the gutter. and she's definitely not getting an interview that is't going to ask about the contract and her relationship with the 2nd most important person in the department. no school wants to hear excuses about not getting along with the head BB coach. and there is no excuse.

Capel is coaching for his career next season. if he doesn't perform, he's relegated to assistant status or dropping down several levels. with his noted arrogance, I don't think his ego could handle that. I don't even know if he gets a good assistant gig; I actually don't think he does. if he goes, future employers are going to ask the question about why he had a poor relationship with his boss (never mind the boosters). and why he couldn't figure it out over 5 years (not including his last two years at OU). never mind Jason - I don't even know where he'd go if JC is bought out next year.

they don't have to be best friends. but they should sit down, hammer out an agreement that they're going to be on the same page publicly (a LOT), and privately. he needs to be saying, "I appreciate the support of HL, etc etc." and she needs to be saying, "we have total faith in what JC is building here." this can actually help recruit players. this can help get NIL deals and build good will with the fans. hell, maybe someone actually shows up in the early games. even if it's just for the next year and he's gone. they can both tell future employers that while they regret things didn't work out, they still had a good relationship with each other, the school, etc.

being cold and not working together is not going to serve either well at all. their futures are tied together whether they like it or not. if heather doesn't understand this, she's not getting a better job. she needs to communicate better than a Friday evening release. go sit down with whoever and do a long interview about how great JC is.

and JC needs to do an interview about the plan for next season. find a friendly reporter that will allow him to be positive. we all know the negative anyway.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.