ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops Team Open Practice & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** I start these thoughts today from the end, which was Coach Capel’s comments to close the Open Practice event at the Pete.

** Coach spoke for a just few minutes, saying most of the things one would expect a coach to say. This included how hard the team was working, about how a few players were injured, some notes regarding their practice schedule, and a thought or two about some upcoming games.

** When he concluded, @whirlybird optio said something along the lines of how Capel’s comments were fine, but perhaps somehow it didn’t feel his like his heart was in it. We both agreed that we could certainly understand why.

** Maybe it should be said that even as spectators, our hearts were a little less in this than they might have been just 24 hours earlier. Still, my Son and I enjoyed sitting with Whirly and his family along with @PittMBA, even though we couldn’t help to reminisce about past times when we would enjoy each other’s company at gatherings in Green Tree or at game watches.

** On this occasion, we sat down with our tasty Panera Sandwiches and fine fruit cups, spending the first 10 minutes or so trying to figure out which Diaz brother was which. And as I type this, I still don’t know if we figured it out.

** Since the twins were both on the court shooting before any of the other Panthers, we’ll start there. Whirly said it well, suggesting that one of the reasons fans go to events like this is to walk away very optimistic about players such as the Diaz pair. However, none of us could say such a thing about them this day.

** That isn’t to say they looked disappointing. Both showed nice form shooting the ball and running the court, but they just didn’t instantly jump out as major players.

** But there were a few guys that jumped out a little bit in a more positive way – those being Nike Sibande and Blake Hinson. We were all impressed that at no point during the practice did Nike look like a guy who was coming off of a knee injury. Hinson reminded as a Panther who may have played at Pitt a decade or so ago. He looks thick and strong (think Jamel Artis – but a little taller and without the handle) and hopefully tough.

** Personally, I was a little disappointed with the notion that I almost didn’t notice Nelly Cummings. Of course, It was just a practice, and it was mostly just drills so I can’t really say what I should have noticed.

** And in fairness, we didn’t really “notice” Jamarius Burton today either, and we already know what he brings to the court.

** One player our group did notice was Nate Santos. In fact, it was stated that he may have stood out more than anyone else during the hour. You can decide if you think this is a good thing or a not so good thing.

** For the first half of the practice, PittMBA noticed that Greg Elliott seemed like he was going through the motions a bit. He even wondered aloud if Greg was injured or perhaps under the weather. But almost seconds after this concern was verbalized, Greg appeared to pick it up nicely, almost in response.

** I talked to @Bethlehemjohn after the event, and he mentioned that he saw the coaches give Greg a little “pep talk,” so many they made an impression.

** I described Fede Federiko as an “Airport All-American” in that he certainly looks good on his way to the game (think Amare Stoudamire). But tall and sleek and muscular doesn’t necessarily mean he can play.

** John Hugley and Will Jeffress walked the sidelines with injuries. John was walking without a brace or crutches, but perhaps a very slight limp. Will was sporting a nifty knee scooter.

** And the course, the guy we would previously have come to see was elsewhere.

** Otherwise, I’ll avoid any additional comment on the situation with Dior. Nevertheless, regardless of anything I watched today, it’s hard for me to see how this Pitt team without Dior is remarkably different than last year’s team.

** All I can say for sure after watching today is that our offense moves the ball well against a defense of two coaches, and our offensive rebounding looks stellar in the same situation. Lastly, Jeff Capel's jump shot now looks poor.

** I’m one to always enjoy events like this despite the Dior downer, so I was still glad to join the 100 or so fans who were to able to go today. But forgive me if my heart wasn’t in it. Hopefully this team will offer some greater reasons to love them as this year progresses.

** I start these thoughts today from the end, which was Coach Capel’s comments to close the Open Practice event at the Pete.

** Coach spoke for a just few minutes, saying most of the things one would expect a coach to say. This included how hard the team was working, about how a few players were injured, some notes regarding their practice schedule, and a thought or two about some upcoming games.

** When he concluded, @whirlybird optio said something along the lines of how Capel’s comments were fine, but perhaps somehow it didn’t feel his like his heart was in it. We both agreed that we could certainly understand why.

** Maybe it should be said that even as spectators, our hearts were a little less in this than they might have been just 24 hours earlier. Still, my Son and I enjoyed sitting with Whirly and his family along with @PittMBA, even though we couldn’t help to reminisce about past times when we would enjoy each other’s company at gatherings in Green Tree or at game watches.

** On this occasion, we sat down with our tasty Panera Sandwiches and fine fruit cups, spending the first 10 minutes or so trying to figure out which Diaz brother was which. And as I type this, I still don’t know if we figured it out.

** Since the twins were both on the court shooting before any of the other Panthers, we’ll start there. Whirly said it well, suggesting that one of the reasons fans go to events like this is to walk away very optimistic about players such as the Diaz pair. However, none of us could say such a thing about them this day.

** That isn’t to say they looked disappointing. Both showed nice form shooting the ball and running the court, but they just didn’t instantly jump out as major players.

** But there were a few guys that jumped out a little bit in a more positive way – those being Nike Sibande and Blake Hinson. We were all impressed that at no point during the practice did Nike look like a guy who was coming off of a knee injury. Hinson reminded as a Panther who may have played at Pitt a decade or so ago. He looks thick and strong (think Jamel Artis – but a little taller and without the handle) and hopefully tough.

** Personally, I was a little disappointed with the notion that I almost didn’t notice Nelly Cummings. Of course, It was just a practice, and it was mostly just drills so I can’t really say what I should have noticed.

** And in fairness, we didn’t really “notice” Jamarius Burton today either, and we already know what he brings to the court.

** One player our group did notice was Nate Santos. In fact, it was stated that he may have stood out more than anyone else during the hour. You can decide if you think this is a good thing or a not so good thing.

** For the first half of the practice, PittMBA noticed that Greg Elliott seemed like he was going through the motions a bit. He even wondered aloud if Greg was injured or perhaps under the weather. But almost seconds after this concern was verbalized, Greg appeared to pick it up nicely, almost in response.

** I talked to @Bethlehemjohn after the event, and he mentioned that he saw the coaches give Greg a little “pep talk,” so many they made an impression.

** I described Fede Federiko as an “Airport All-American” in that he certainly looks good on his way to the game (think Amare Stoudlemire). But tall and sleek and muscular doesn’t necessarily mean he can play.

** John Hughly and Will Jeffress walked the sidelines with injuries. John was walking without a brace or crutches, but perhaps a very slight limp. Will was sporting a nifty knee scooter.

** Otherwise, I’ll avoid any additional comment on the situation with Dior. Nevertheless, regardless of anything I watched today, it’s hard for me to see how this Pitt team without Dior is remarkably different than last year’s team.

** All I can say for sure after watching today is that our offense moves the ball well against a defense of two coaches, and our offensive rebounding looks stellar in the same situation. Lastly, Jeff Capel's jump shot now looks poor.

** I’m one to always enjoy events like this despite the Dior downer, so I was still glad to join the 100 or so fans who were to able to go today. But forgive me if my heart wasn’t in it. Hopefully this team will offer some greater reasons to love them as this year progresses.
Last year vs this year

PG - Nelly vs Femi - tough to say. "Good Femi" is significantly better but we didn't see him often

SG - Burton vs Burton- even

SF - Nike vs Jeffress - huge advantage for this year's team

PF - Gueye vs Hinson - Gueye but maybe not by a lot. Hinson is a good P5 "3 and a half"

C - Hugley vs Hugley - I expect Hugley to be even better this season

This year's bench of Jeffress, Santos, Elliott, twins, and Federiko is way better than Onye, Collier, Payton, Oladapo, Santos

** I described Fede Federiko as an “Airport All-American” in that he certainly looks good on his way to the game (think Amare Stoudlemire). But tall and sleek and muscular doesn’t necessarily mean he can play.

** John Hughly and Will Jeffress walked the sidelines with injuries. John was walking without a brace or crutches, but perhaps a very slight limp. Will was sporting a nifty knee scooter.

** All I can say for sure after watching today is that our offense moves the ball against a defense of two coaches, and our offensive rebounding looks stellar in the same situation. Lastly, Jeff Capel's jump shot now looks poor.

** So while I’m one to always enjoy events like this, and I was still glad to join the 100 or so fans who were to able to go today. But forgive me if my heart wasn’t in it. Hopefully this team will offer some greater reasons to love them as this year progresses.
Great to see you and your son at the event!

I credit myself with Greg’s better effort in the later portion of the practice- lol.

As the ever optimist - I thought Nike looked good- healthy , springy, smooth, shot maker .

Hinson looked the part -

it was comforting to see big John in uniform and walking without a brace - he even took a few jump shots in between the team drills.

the realist in me sees a very pedestrian group. In fairness, no Hugley , but still.

I sneaked a peak at some 4 on 4 1/2 court drills they did with a shot clock shot after the event - They were making some shots - Nike , Burton. Santos , Elliot, stood out to me in the 4 on 4s.

it’s hard to see a leap forward - but one can hope

Last year vs this year

PG - Nelly vs Femi - tough to say. "Good Femi" is significantly better but we didn't see him often

SG - Burton vs Burton- even

SF - Nike vs Jeffress - huge advantage for this year's team

PF - Gueye vs Hinson - Gueye but maybe not by a lot. Hinson is a good P5 "3 and a half"

C - Hugley vs Hugley - I expect Hugley to be even better this season

This year's bench of Jeffress, Santos, Elliott, twins, and Federiko is way better than Onye, Collier, Payton, Oladapo, Santos

The SG should be Nike vs. Horton and that should still be an advantage for this year's team, although not a large as Nike vs. Jeffress.

SF is Burton vs Burton.

I think we can be better than last year. But it's hard to see us being significantly better. Can we at least have a winning record?

Reactions: rockypanther
At least to some degree I am in BBallInsider's camp regarding Capel's Xs and Os. I have come to believe that he employs the same approach regardless of the roster make up---a system that would work if you had Duke's or UNC's roster. IMHO, this is often the "round hole-square peg." approach showing a lack of creativity in adjusting style of offensive and defensive play to best suite the available roster.

However, to be completely honest--perhaps I am not being entirely fair in making this judgment? Overall roster talent may have had more to do with the poor W-L results than just poor Xs and Os.

Reactions: Jeffburgh

** I described Fede Federiko as an “Airport All-American” in that he certainly looks good on his way to the game (think Amare Stoudamire). But tall and sleek and muscular doesn’t necessarily mean he can play.

** John Hugley and Will Jeffress walked the sidelines with injuries. John was walking without a brace or crutches, but perhaps a very slight limp. Will was sporting a nifty knee scooter.

Great seeing you DT. Can’t wait to get your son on this board too. He had some great takes.

At least to some degree I am in BBallInsider's camp regarding Capel's Xs and Os. I have come to believe that he employs the same approach regardless of the roster make up---a system that would work if you had Duke's or UNC's roster. IMHO, this is often the "round hole-square peg." approach showing a lack of creativity in adjusting style of offensive and defensive play to best suite the available roster.

However, to be completely honest--perhaps I am not being entirely fair in making this judgment? Overall roster talent may have had more to do with the poor W-L results than just poor Xs and Os.

We can't shoot and have not been able to shoot the basketball. We have talked about this year after year. Players like Johnson and Mcgowens could never shoot prior coming to Pitt. They still cant shoot. X was a little better after being in college for 4 years last year.

Last year, here are the shooting percentage of some of our players

Horton-
36%, FG
38% from 3
87% FT shooter

Jeffress-
29% FG
22% from 3
66% FT shooter

Santos-
32%,
20% from 3
62% FT shooter

Onye
34%,
37% from 3,
27% FT shooter

We had lots of plays last year where guys had wide open shots from 3 with no one close to them, from midrange, from all over the place. We couldn't shoot. We gave John zero space. as he was getting doubled if not triple teamed every game.

We need space for Big John. Santos, Elliot, the twins, etc.., these guys were recruited for the purpose of making shots, especially from 3. If they cant do that and dont provide adequate team depth, its going to be a long season again. We also need Nike to be able to shoot a long with Cummings from 3.

We have to shoot much better. Forget looking at athletic ability and anything else with some of these guys. They need to shoot and make them. Greg Elliot is a career 41% 3 point shooter playing in the Big East for 4 prior seasons. We cannot afford to have him shoot 25% this year from 3 like Jeffress and Santos last year.

I would consider it a good thing that Nate Santos shoots lights out in practice. He was a 3 point shooter all throughout his high school career. That needs to transfer over to to game action.

Not sure what you were expecting from the twins in this format ? They’re tall and thin , they can run the floor , catch the ball , and they shoot better than anyone I ever saw in a Pitt uniform over 6’7” ( Larry Harris ) . We didn’t get to really see their passing abilities, but Europeans are noted for their unselfish team play . I think they’ll be a huge asset .

I really think Elliot was having physical issues with his wrapped leg which was frustrating him and I believe it was M Brown who was trying to encourage him .

Not sure Jeff was really trying to make those shots !

Reactions: Drew1208
We can't shoot and have not been able to shoot the basketball. We have talked about this year after year. Players like Johnson and Mcgowens could never shoot prior coming to Pitt. They still cant shoot. X was a little better after being in college for 4 years last year.

Last year, here are the shooting percentage of some of our players

Horton-
36%, FG
38% from 3
87% FT shooter

Jeffress-
29% FG
22% from 3
66% FT shooter

Santos-
32%,
20% from 3
62% FT shooter

Onye
34%,
37% from 3,
27% FT shooter

We had lots of plays last year where guys had wide open shots from 3 with no one close to them, from midrange, from all over the place. We couldn't shoot. We gave John zero space. as he was getting doubled if not triple teamed every game.

We need space for Big John. Santos, Elliot, the twins, etc.., these guys were recruited for the purpose of making shots, especially from 3. If they cant do that and dont provide adequate team depth, its going to be a long season again. We also need Nike to be able to shoot a long with Cummings from 3.

We have to shoot much better. Forget looking at athletic ability and anything else with some of these guys. They need to shoot and make them. Greg Elliot is a career 41% 3 point shooter playing in the Big East for 4 prior seasons. We cannot afford to have him shoot 25% this year from 3 like Jeffress and Santos last year.

I would consider it a good thing that Nate Santos shoots lights out in practice. He was a 3 point shooter all throughout his high school career. That needs to transfer over to to game action.
I don’t think it’s quite accurate to say Nate was lights out. He was more just the guy we all seemed to “notice” perhaps a little more than the others. Regardless, we all kinda figured he probably shot well in practice last year. Hopefully it will translate a little more in games this year.

Not sure what you were expecting from the twins in this format ? They’re tall and thin , they can run the floor , catch the ball , and they shoot better than anyone I ever saw in a Pitt uniform over 6’7” ( Larry Harris ) . We didn’t get to really see their passing abilities, but Europeans are noted for their unselfish team play . I think they’ll be a huge asset .

I really think Elliot was having physical issues with his wrapped leg which was frustrating him and I believe it was M Brown who was trying to encourage him .

Not sure Jeff was really trying to make those shots !
I hear what you are saying about the twins. I don’t wish to sell them short. But it’s a little premature I believe to proclaim them as the shooters you have described. They both have nice form. But it’s not as if they were making a very high percentage. And we will have to see what happens when playing against a defense. I just wasn’t impressed to the point where I felt very optimistic at this point.

But they are both young and raw. Plenty of time to develop.

I hear what you are saying about the twins. I don’t wish to sell them short. But it’s a little premature I believe to proclaim them as the shooters you have described. They both have nice form. But it’s not as if they were making a very high percentage. And we will have to see what happens when playing against a defense. I just wasn’t impressed to the point where I felt very optimistic at this point.

But they are both young and raw. Plenty of time to develop.
Time will tell !

I don’t think it’s quite accurate to say Nate was lights out. He was more just the guy we all seemed to “notice” perhaps a little more than the others. Regardless, we all kinda figured he probably shot well in practice last year. Hopefully it will translate a little more in games this year.

Fair enough. I was not there today so I cant say either way.

What I will say is, we are going to find out real soon if we can shoot the basketball at all. Remember, it was a year ago that this team couldn't shoot from 3 against Gannon. And that clearly foreshadowed the rest of the season as we couldn't shoot all season long including from 3.

Under normal circumstances I would say preseason games are pretty meaningless. However, this year, I think the games against Clarion and Edinboro coming up soon are going to be foretelling of our shooting capability from 3 right out of the gate. If we cant make open looks against these teams, well..., you know where we are likely headed.

And I have felt the same way before we got Dior Johnson, with Dior Johnson, and right now without Dior Johnson. The 3 ball is going to be a big part of making us or breaking us this year. We need it badly.

There has never been a scrimmage where what I thought about the players reflected anything. Exhibitions do a little but but it ain’t true until the first official game.

There has never been a scrimmage where what I thought about the players reflected anything. Exhibitions do a little but but it ain’t true until the first official game.
You don’t get an accurate evaluation on how well they’ll play against top level talent , but if you can’t shoot or run a good offense against exhibition teams ……

Last edited:
Vadar is never wrong

You don’t an accurate evaluation on how well they’ll play against top level talent , but if you can’t shoot or run a good offense against exhibition teams ……
More than fair — the only real conclusion I took from this is that Nike looked very strong on the knee.

The SG should be Nike vs. Horton and that should still be an advantage for this year's team, although not a large as Nike vs. Jeffress.

SF is Burton vs Burton.

I think we can be better than last year. But it's hard to see us being significantly better. Can we at least have a winning record?
Horton joined the team when the season was lost. I dont count him

You don’t an accurate evaluation on how well they’ll play against top level talent , but if you can’t shoot or run a good offense against exhibition teams ……
I don’t know. The great teams of your were once down to CMU at half time. So exhibitions just don’t mean much to the top dog.

I don’t know. The great teams of your were once down to CMU at half time. So exhibitions just don’t mean much to the top dog.
Just like the 20 handicap guy who birdies the first two holes and shoots 37 after nine and comes back with a 50 on the back nine . You have to play all 18 holes and all 40 minutes in college bb .

Reactions: jctrack
That was the 04-05 team who was down 47-45 at the half. That really wasn’t one of our great teams, but it does make your point. Nonetheless, we ended up winning that game by 30 as we finally decided to defend the dribble drive perimeter in the second half.

Reactions: jctrack

There are no excuses with this team or with Jeff Capel. Not this year. And I said that previously.

We have four 5th year senior guards, 3 of which played significant roles on NCAA Tournament teams. And an All ACC caliber big man. And a 10ppg transfer from the SEC at Power Forward even though he hasn't played a game in some time.

There is more than enough talent this year to show a pulse and compete. This isnt like rolling out 3 freshmen starters like some years ago and figuring it out on the fly game by game. We have talent here without Dior.

We are opening the season against a 9 win division 2 team. If we cant make open jump shots against this caliber team and blow them right out of the gym, something is very, very wrong here. And for the record, I predict we are going to blow them out.

Both showed nice form shooting the ball

If you watched when they first let people into the gym, Jorge was the only one out there working with Jason Capel. Capel kept reminding him over and over to bring the ball up on his shot. When left to his own devices he shoots the ball too low, which negates some of his height advantage.

Then when Guillermo came out and started working with Jason Capel, he reminder him of the same thing more than once.

I mean who has time to read what the OP said? Anyone have a synopsis?

Pitt basketball is a walking joke, I mean who even thought that jive talking cat was gonna play 1 half for Pitt ?

This is all very disappointing to hear. Especially the part about JCs heart not being in it. If the DJ situation is enough for him to lose his heart for his job, I'm afraid he is in for another long season cause this probably will not be the low point for him.

This is all very disappointing to hear. Especially the part about JCs heart not being in it. If the DJ situation is enough for him to lose his heart for his job, I'm afraid he is in for another long season cause this probably will not be the low point for him.
Let me rephrase so that I’m clear. It was as almost that you could sense a certain disappointment within him.

In no way am I suggesting that he won’t give 110% as coach.

Reactions: cabe23 and jctrack
Both alphabetically and numerically, Guillermo (25) before Jorge (31).
Sure, we knew that but we were discussing among ourselves which one was the higher rated, which was the one who played more for the Spanish team, etc.

I'm not suggesting he won't give 110 but if he is visually showing wear and tear already at an early pre season event that is supposed to generate excitement. I just don't think that is a good sign.

I'm not suggesting he won't give 110 but if he is visually showing wear and tear already at an early pre season event that is supposed to generate excitement. I just don't think that is a good sign.
Sure, but don’t you think almost all coaches would be down a little if you just lost your potentially best player to arrest 12 hours earlier?

I dont want to speak for DT or anyone else but,

1) Jeffress is injured
2) Big John got injured in the last week and is currently out who was projected to be a star this year
3) Dior is in some serious trouble and not with the team and probably gone

This has been a reoccurring theme under Jeff Capel in the preseason with unfortunate events. And the snake has bitten once again this offseason with an arrest and 2 injuries. Like I said, I don't want to speak for anyone, but if I was Jeff Capel, I would not be in a good mood either after what the hell just happened in the last week.

With that said and before claiming Jeff has his head buried in the sand, we are getting John back, still have a chance to do some damage this year, and have a great chance to have a really good 2023 class. The preaseason start to this basketball season sucks for everyone, including the coach. But its not how you start, its how you finish, and that wont be determined until March next year.

Sure, but don’t you think almost all coaches would be down a little if you just lost your potentially best player to arrest 12 hours earlier?
Actually no. I think most coaches have enough stored up BS and self obsessed confidence that they would do everything in their powers to not show they are distracted on a day like that.

Actually no. I think most coaches have enough stored up BS and self obsessed confidence that they would do everything in their powers to not show they are distracted on a day like that.
Maybe he does. Maybe that’s just what a couple of us were sensing. Perhaps we are way off base from what he is actually feeling. It’s possible we were projecting our own feelings onto him a little bit.

And let me be clear. I'm not questioning JCs manhood or dedication. He has certainly had more misfortune than any coach I have seen at Pitt since 1972 but how much of this misfortune is his own making vs just bad luck is what will be debated from now until he is gone.

Reactions: gary2
True - I remember everyone was excited when Drumgoole had a really good “private scrimmage” against Maryland. It was a fun gathering to engage fans. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: Duneaux Harm
Sure, we knew that but we were discussing among ourselves which one was the higher rated, which was the one who played more for the Spanish team, etc.
Yes. Good discussion to have since it was flipped. The one who played for the Spanish National team was the less highly rated of the two by the recruiting services in the U.S.

IMHO, there probably isn't much difference between the two other than about an inch in height. Similar and typical Euro player skills. Both need to get physically stronger and add low block moves to compliment their existing outside skills and make them more complete allround players.

ADVERTISEMENT