ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops Team Open Practice & Other Dribbles ...

That’s my preference, too, but it certainly sounds like Rothstein didn’t create that starting five with Elliott out of thin air.

I feel like this will probably be the starting five by conference play, though. I don’t think it’s a bad one, either.
I see JB playing the 3 and splitting time with Elliott.

I see JB playing the 3 and splitting time with Elliott.
JB handles the ball better than Nike. he posts post up smaller guards.

I see Burton at the 2 playing over 30 mpg.

Nike and Elliott split time at the 3, running out on the break and shooting corner threes. They split about 50 mpg.

Nike and Elliott split time at the 3, running out on the break and shooting corner threes. They split about 50 mpg.
There are 120 minutes to be had at the 1-2-3 spots among four guys, so it’s reasonable to think each of the four will get around 30 minutes.

But it does trouble me to an extent that a player who never got over 19 minutes a games (Elliott) will be playing close to 30 with us.

There are 120 minutes to be had at the 1-2-3 spots among four guys, so it’s reasonable to think each of the four will get around 30 minutes.

But it does trouble me to an extent that a player who never got over 19 minutes a games (Elliott) will be playing close to 30 with us.
Well not sure how much time Santos will see, if he improves he'll eat into the 3 spot time.

Reactions: pittchagg

I agree with this. Burton’s a better ballhandler, has played the point in spots (will probably also be our primary point when Nelly’s out of the game), and IMO could be a pretty decent secondary facilitator alongside Nelly.

Assuming Nike’s close to back athletically, I think he can be a matchup problem at the 3 with his ability to drive to the basket, and he can still shoot it a little bit, too. Elliott’s probably the best shooter Jeff has had here - JWF might be close, but I kinda see them playing similar roles. And I think Santos ends up getting 10 or so minutes there, too.

Reactions: Drew1208

If healthy, I think he can handle it.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I assume the four guys are Nelly, Burton, Elliot and Sibande. I would also expect to see some lineups where only two of these guys are on the floor while Jorge Diaz-Graham is getting some forward time as a 3/4 in a taller lineup. Also, Will Jeffress will still get at least a few minutes as a 3.

Given that, it would be easy to see Elliot only getting minutes in the 15-20 range even if he does start.

Bottom Line: I wouldn't assign 30 minutes to Elliot as a given or be sure the other 3 all get a full 30 minutes which assumes we will always 100% be in a lineup using three guards.

I assume the four guys are Nelly, Burton, Elliot and Sibande. I would also expect to see some lineups where only two of these guys are on the floor while Jorge Diaz-Graham is getting some forward time as a 3/4 in a taller lineup. Also, Will Jeffress will still get at least a few minutes as a 3.

Given that, it would be easy to see Elliot only getting minutes in the 15-20 range even if he does start.

Bottom Line: I wouldn't assign 30 minutes to Elliot as a given or be sure the other 3 all get a full 30 minutes which assumes we will always 100% be in a lineup using three guards.
Your point is taken although I don’t think we will ever see Jorge at the three. But Will and Santos may get some time there and we will see how much that cuts into Elliotts time.

Your point is taken although I don’t think we will ever see Jorge at the three. But Will and Santos may get some time there and we will see how much that cuts into Elliotts time.

Might we see Hinson at the 3 with a twin at the 4? He averaged over four 3 point attempts per game at Mississippi. I suspect we will see variations with him on the outside.

I agree. I think one of those guys will end up playing there, and I suspect Santos’ game might play better as the backcourty wing offensively, and Will’s lack of a jumper can be shielded a little more in that “big wing” spot. I think both are better 4’s, but with only four guards now, it is what it is.

Might we see Hinson at the 3 with a twin at the 4? He averaged over four 3 point attempts per game at Mississippi. I suspect we will see variations with him on the outside.
I think they want him being a perimeter threat from the 4. He gives you above-average shooting from that spot, but he’s probably closer to average from the 3. Gueye and Champagnie were the same way.

But at times it tells you all you need to know too .

Donte Taylor was really hyped , McDonalds AA , it took two minutes at Greentree to realize he wasn’t special.

Conversely watching guys like Adams , Sam Young , even JRob ( to stay current ) told you that these guys were really good .
How about DeJuan Blair? I never saw anyone so strong as I did watching him at Greentree. People just bounced off of him.

Reactions: Hail2PittPanthers
My guess is that we will not see Hinson at all at the three. And if he is healthy, I suspect we will see Jeffress on the floor before either of the twins.

I’ve tried to think about it in terms of combinations. Nelly and Burton both can’t be off the floor at the same time. So when Nelly’s on the floor (30-32 minutes?) you can have the following:

Nelly, Burton, Sibande - probably the most frequent, something like 20 minutes together?
Nelly, Burton or Sibande, Elliott
Nelly, Burton or Sibande, Santos/Jeffress
Nelly, Elliott, Santos/Jeffress (probably the least frequent combo)

Then, for those 8-10 minutes when Nelly’s off the floor, you’ve got:

Burton, Sibande, Elliott (probably the most frequent)
Burton, Sibande, Santos/Jeffress
Burton, Elliott, Santos/Jeffress (would be surprised if we ever see this)

I'm not too, too worried about the defensive end. For the better part of last year we were an adequate defensive team, and sometimes better than that.

But we REALLY struggled to score almost all of the time.
In my opinion, if we stay healthy, we need one of the twins or Federiko to be a rotation contributor.

Get that and I think the team can be competitive in every game.

In my opinion, if we stay healthy, we need one of the twins or Federiko to be a rotation contributor.

I think Guillermo almost has to be a rotation guy just because Hugley can’t play 40 minutes a game. There are going to be times where he picks up a second foul midway through the first half, and Guillermo plays out the rest of the half. Having a remotely viable backup behind Hugley - potentially even two with Fede - will be a big benefit. Collier did what he could, but he was always playing out of position when he came in for Hugley.

I agree - especially on the defensive end. Even without foul trouble, I think HInson will be a step down from what Gueye provided (defensively). Hopefully I'm wrong.

I agree - especially on the defensive end. Even without foul trouble, I think HInson will be a step down from what Gueye provided (defensively). Hopefully I'm wrong.
I don’t think he’s going to be anything close to the rim protector that Gueye was, but I think Hinson might end up being better defending guys in space than Gueye was.

Everyone seems to be regating the twins to garbage time minutes only. Is that really what is going to happen?
I think Guillermo ends up at probably close to 10 mpg behind Hugley. That’s not garbage time - those are really important minutes.

Jorge seems like the third guy up at the 4 behind Hinson and Jeffress or Santos (seems like probably Jeffress). I think there’s a place for Jorge for when we’ve gotta close a gap and his shooting can help with that - a lineup with Nelly, Elliott, Santos, Jorge, and Guillermo to just shoot the thing. But that’s more “spot minutes” than “garbage time.”

Everyone seems to be regating the twins to garbage time minutes only. Is that really what is going to happen?
I think one of them is going to be really decent and get tons of time.
Being able to play multiple positions and we get zoned up a bunch which I think they'll be really good against that.
I'm more optimistic than most seem to be. They just seem to have actual skills that can't be denied and if they hit 3s then I'm not sure how much they can keep them on the bench.
On paper this team should be a great improvement from deep and that was our biggest problem

I think one of them is going to be really decent and get tons of time.
Being able to play multiple positions and we get zoned up a bunch which I think they'll be really good against that.
I'm more optimistic than most seem to be. They just seem to have actual skills that can't be denied and if they hit 3s then I'm not sure how much they can keep them on the bench.
On paper this team should be a great improvement from deep and that was our biggest problem
I might be crazy but I wouldn't mind seeing us play a zone defense with both twins John and two guards.

In FT time at the end of a close game subbing for O and subbing for D--

The On D lineup in Cuse-style Extended Zone = (5) Hugley, (4) Jorge D-G, (3) Guillermo D-G, (2) Jeffress, (1) Sibande--Long and tall really hard for the opponent to launch anything shoot anything but an NBA-3.

The On O lineup = Hugley, Hinson, Elliot, Burton, Cummings--Shoot the 3-ball!!

Certainly possible. It does seem to relegate Federiko to being a garbage time only player, however. Is he really going to be no better than Amadasun?

Certainly possible. It does seem to relegate Federiko to being a garbage time only player, however. Is he really going to be no better than Amadasun?
I think it remains to be seen whether or not he plays ahead of Guillermo. It’s certainly possible that he does. Physically he does look stronger.

I think it remains to be seen whether or not he plays ahead of Guillermo. It’s certainly possible that he does. Physically he does look stronger.
I think the twins are going to be too skinny to play the 5. Federiko averaged 12 and 9 in JUCO. In contrast, Kene Chukwuka averaged 3 and 4 and I felt he was an OK backup Big for bad team.

I think the twins are going to be too skinny to play the 5. Federiko averaged 12 and 9 in JUCO. In contrast, Kene Chukwuka averaged 3 and 4 and I felt he was an OK backup Big for bad team.
Might highly depend on the team.

I’m not sure why all the concern over the twins strength . While thin , they both happen to be 7ft tall and all they do is play bb and workout ( they probably go to school too ! ) So my guess is that they’re far stronger than they appear . As of right now they’ll be playing alongside at least one if not both Hugley and Henson , both pretty beefy young men , throw in Burton whose pretty physically strong for a guard they don’t have to be beasts .

If both Hugley and Henson are injured or in foul trouble that’s another story , but most teams will struggle if both their big men are out of the game or injured for a considerable time .

As far as being overmatched against any talented experienced bigs they’ll face during the year they’ll be no different than most other most freshman bigs .

I look at the twins and see too extremely tall talented bb players who can bring a dimension to the game that Pitt bb has never had and I’m excited to watch them develop. As time goes on they’ll be stronger .

I haven't noticed anyone billing him as a savior, and I sure don't think he will be. But he's better than just a depth piece. IMO, he'll be an upgrade over what Femi provided at the point.

And he'll help in one area where I expect this team to be improved over last year - from the line, where we shot 69% as a team last year, an intangible I haven't seen mentioned.

Reactions: jctrack
I haven't noticed anyone billing him as a savior, and I sure don't think he will be. But he's better than just a depth piece. IMO, he'll be an upgrade over what Femi provided at the point.

And he'll help in one area where I expect this team to be improved over last year - from the line, where we shot 69% as a team last year, an intangible I haven't seen mentioned.
He’s a career 81% shooter from the line so - not sure how that moves the needle

ADVERTISEMENT