ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops Team Open Practice & Other Dribbles ...

He’s a career 81% shooter from the line so - not sure how that moves the needle

Read it again - I said the team would be better. But if you want to focus just on Nelly, he's in theory replacing Femi - a career 58% FT shooter. But, as I said, my point is the team as a whole should be better.

I’m not sure why all the concern over the twins strength . While thin , they both happen to be 7ft tall and all they do is play bb and workout ( they probably go to school too ! ) So my guess is that they’re far stronger than they appear . As of right now they’ll be playing alongside at least one if not both Hugley and Henson , both pretty beefy young men , throw in Burton whose pretty physically strong for a guard they don’t have to be beasts .

If both Hugley and Henson are injured or in foul trouble that’s another story , but most teams will struggle if both their big men are out of the game or injured for a considerable time .

As far as being overmatched against any talented experienced bigs they’ll face during the year they’ll be no different than most other most freshman bigs .

I look at the twins and see too extremely tall talented bb players who can bring a dimension to the game that Pitt bb has never had and I’m excited to watch them develop. As time goes on they’ll be stronger .
I hope you are right about the twins but “two extremely tall talented bb players” sounds like what one call McDonalds AA’s - not a pair who weren’t quite heavily recruited.

I hope you are right about the twins but “two extremely tall talented bb players” sounds like what one call McDonalds AA’s - not a pair who weren’t quite heavily recruited.
Sitting there watching them drain threes from substantially behind the arc sold me . Can’t say I’ve ever seen a Pitt player shoot so well from that distance .

Who knows the twins could turn out to be a bust ( I don’t think so ) , but talent evaluators miss just about as often as they get it right . Just look at guys like Tom Brady and AB as 6th rounders or Dan Marino as the 5th QB taken in the draft .How about Sam Bowie over MJ !

Reactions: Jim Z
Sitting there watching them drain threes from substantially behind the arc sold me . Can’t say I’ve ever seen a Pitt player shoot so well from that distance .

Who knows the twins could turn out to be a bust ( I don’t think so ) , but talent evaluators miss just about as often as they get it right . Just look at guys like Tom Brady and AB as 6th rounders or Dan Marino as the 5th QB taken in the draft .How about Sam Bowie over MJ !
There’s no reason not to hope!!

Reactions: gary2
There’s no reason not to hope!!
One needs to be better than Collier or what we have seen so far from Jeffress.

That is it.

Do that and i think we will be OK.

Four veteran guards and Two good frontcourt players with experience.

We need that one more.

One needs to be better than Collier or what we have seen so far from Jeffress.

That is it.

Do that and i think we will be OK.

Four veteran guards and Two good frontcourt players with experience.

We need that one more.
What do you mean by “ok?”

Right now, me are preseason #14. How high do you think we can rise?

Reactions: pittjas
What do you mean by “ok?”

Right now, me are preseason #14. How high do you think we can rise?
Willing to let the season play out, but....

I am thinking middle of the second third ( including ties for less) Serious.

If we don't escape the bottom third, I will be disappointed.

All the above is predicated on that "one more".

Last edited:
Willing to let the season play out, but....

I am thinking middle of the second third ( including ties for less) Serious.

If we don't escape the bottom third, I will be disappointed.

All the above is predicated on that "one more".

If we don't get to around #5 or #6 in the ACC and have an NIT bid, the season will be very disappointing, for sure. Capel's in year 6. If we can't get an NIT bid at the very least, he should be on a very hot seat, especially considering the issues he's been having with his recruits and the law.

Like you Gary, I'm willing to let the season play out. BUT, it must be a successful season or changes need to be made.

If we don't get to around #5 or #6 in the ACC and have an NIT bid, the season will be very disappointing, for sure. Capel's in year 6. If we can't get an NIT bid at the very least, he should be on a very hot seat, especially considering the issues he's been having with his recruits and the law.

Like you Gary, I'm willing to let the season play out. BUT, it must be a successful season or changes need to be made.
I agree it must be a successful season. I think we can achieve that and not be 5 or 6.

The program talent wise is heading in the right direction and as far as wins and losses who knows . If the quality of bb improves with continued success in recruiting what more can anyone ask for and the W’s will follow .

NIT and a solid recruiting class shows we are moving in the right direction. I would sign that deal right now.
Correct. And the NIT is hard to make now. Really only the best 20 teams who dont make the NCAAT make the NIT. If we go 18-14, we wont make the NIT but I'd say it warrants another year

Correct. And the NIT is hard to make now. Really only the best 20 teams who dont make the NCAAT make the NIT. If we go 18-14, we wont make the NIT but I'd say it warrants another year

The overall W's and L's are very important and a good indicator of overall success or lack of it. I'll also be interested in HOW we play as a team and the use of talent. If we have some L's with good team play and hustle and effort, that's an improvement. If the losses are close and not getting blown out as we have been the past 4 or 5 years, then there's improvement. But we also have to be winning some of those close games that we haven't in recent years.

18 wins would be a minimum in my eyes. By now, 20+ wins every year is the expectation. Maybe that's a little bit rough. But college basketball is a rough, dirty business now. These are professional players and they should be expected to perform and win. And coaches of losing teams get fired.

The program talent wise is heading in the right direction and as far as wins and losses who knows . If the quality of bb improves with continued success in recruiting what more can anyone ask for and the W’s will follow .
Need to be able stay on the court instead of in court.

Reactions: gary2
A winning record would be progress this year.
Then hope they expand ncaa to 90 lol.
Would just like to see a consensus of computer rankings pick the basic field of 64 and then have the winners of conference auto bids who are not in the top 64 all put in play-in games.

Might that put the field to your (LOL) something like 90?

ADVERTISEMENT