ADVERTISEMENT

Horizon goes with IUPUI

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Too bad for RMU. I predicted this one though it wasn't that difficult. It was hard to imagine the Horizon having 0 teams in basketball-crazed Indiana.

RMU has to get back to where they were a few years ago and build some type of fanbase which is nearly impossible for a minor D1 team in a major league city with a major D1 team.

The Horizon commissioner stated they may go to 14 teams in the near future so RMU may have a shot then. The only schools "seriously vetted" for this round were Robert Morris, Grand Canyon, Fort Wayne, Southern illinois-Edwardsville, and IUPUI.

Last edited:
Too bad for RMU. I predicted this one though it wasn't that difficult. It was hard to imagine the Horizon having 0 teams in basketball-crazed Indiana.

RMU has to get back to where they were a few years ago and build some type of fanbase which is nearly impossible for a minor D1 team in a major league city with a major D1 team.

The Horizon commissioner stated they may go to 14 teams in the near future so RMU may have a shot then. The only schools "seriously vetted" for this round were Robert Morris, Grand Canyon, Fort Wayne, Southern illinois-Edwardsville, and IUPUI.

RMU will be an attractive candidate once they have the new arena in place and a winning season or two.

Club tho? That's it??

I didn't look to deeply but that's what I saw. Maybe they're going to elevate that?? I don't know.

RMU has club baseball also. Neither IUPUI or RMU have NCAA baseball. I am sure the Horizon would have preferred to add a school with a baseball program because it now needs 1 more to keep their auto NCAA bid but it was and had to be a 100% basketball decision and adding and Indiana school was a no-brainer. The only reason it looked outside Indiana was to do due diligence and because there wasn't an obvious Hoosier State choice. IUPUI is not a strong program and doesn't have baseball but its in Indianapolis so it had to do.

Regardless of what a tweet said, if the league felt RMU was the best men's basketball option, they would have chosen them.....perhaps on the condition that they add baseball.

RMU has club baseball also. Neither IUPUI or RMU have NCAA baseball. I am sure the Horizon would have preferred to add a school with a baseball program because it now needs 1 more to keep their auto NCAA bid but it was and had to be a 100% basketball decision and adding and Indiana school was a no-brainer. The only reason it looked outside Indiana was to do due diligence and because there wasn't an obvious Hoosier State choice. IUPUI is not a strong program and doesn't have baseball but its in Indianapolis so it had to do.

Regardless of what a tweet said, if the league felt RMU was the best men's basketball option, they would have chosen them.....perhaps on the condition that they add baseball.

Ya I think if RMU wouldn't have had the past 2 down years they would have had a much better shot at being selected.

If they improve & the league expands to 12, plus the new arena, I think RMU has a really good chance then.

We'll see..

Ya I think if RMU wouldn't have had the past 2 down years they would have had a much better shot at being selected.

If they improve & the league expands to 12, plus the new arena, I think RMU has a really good chance then.

We'll see..

I don't think the down years hurt their chances at all. Indianapolis is the much better basketball market.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT