ADVERTISEMENT

Horton

We heard that before so I'll just take the approach of wait and see and tomorrow is decision day

Reactions: jctrack
This is my first post so many will not believe me, but I am hearing that Horton will choose Pitt tomorrow.

Hail to Pitt!

I’m concerned that it will be Arkansas. Reason 1: Appleby from Cleveland State who is from Arkansas and who said his dream school is Arkansas canceled his official visit to Arkansas after Horton took his official visit. I am thinking Horton told the coaching staff at Arkansas that he was committing, therefore, they canceled Appleby’s visit.

True. He would be a nice addition.

However, the Pantherlair headline wording on that score is a bit misleading. Yes, if he commits he would technically be a 2019-20 recruiting class addition; but, since he is a regular transfer he would need to sit a year and only be a practice player until the following (2020-21) season so that he would not be of immediate in game help for the coming season.

Yeah, I don’t think anybody really knows where this thing is leaving. Every time he’s been interviewed - either by Pitt or Arkansas writers - he’s said very nice things about both schools. Arkansas writers have seemed to get longer quotes out of him, but the main Arkansas writer who has been getting him on the phone didn’t even know he was committing today.

Ordinarily, you’d think the team who gets the official has the advantage, but I think the unique circumstances regarding our official visit situation and the time we’re in on the recruiting calendar makes that messier.

You also see a whole lot of tea leaf reading regarding Appleby, the Cleveland State kid, cancelling his Arkansas visit twice now. But if you look at what the Arkansas guys are saying, their staff still wanted him to visit later this month, Appleby cancelled on them, and he’s been ticketed to go to Florida since entering the portal because of a preexisting family connection. So I don’t really know if that says too much one way or another, either.

This has all the sense of one of the national writers like Borzello getting the commitment story, or one of the NYC area guys like Zagoria putting in a “prediction” this afternoon because he got tipped off by the kid or the high school coach. Strange recruitment that I don’t think anybody outside of the kid has a super great read on.

Yeah, I don’t think anybody really knows where this thing is leaving. Every time he’s been interviewed - either by Pitt or Arkansas writers - he’s said very nice things about both schools. Arkansas writers have seemed to get longer quotes out of him, but the main Arkansas writer who has been getting him on the phone didn’t even know he was committing today.

Ordinarily, you’d think the team who gets the official has the advantage, but I think the unique circumstances regarding our official visit situation and the time we’re in on the recruiting calendar makes that messier.

You also see a whole lot of tea leaf reading regarding Appleby, the Cleveland State kid, cancelling his Arkansas visit twice now. But if you look at what the Arkansas guys are saying, their staff still wanted him to visit later this month, Appleby cancelled on them, and he’s been ticketed to go to Florida since entering the portal because of a preexisting family connection. So I don’t really know if that says too much one way or another, either.

This has all the sense of one of the national writers like Borzello getting the commitment story, or one of the NYC area guys like Zagoria putting in a “prediction” this afternoon because he got tipped off by the kid or the high school coach. Strange recruitment that I don’t think anybody outside of the kid has a super great read on.
What was Zagoria’s prediction?

What was Zagoria’s prediction?
He hasn’t made one, last I checked. The way this often goes, though, is that there will be a “prediction” sometime today - and that prediction is usually pretty well-informed and typically turns out to be accurate. That’s how it was with Quinerly and a bunch of the other NYC area prospects he usually covers.

Going to do some tea leaf reading of my own here:

Horton announces tonight on his instagram. While he doesn’t follow and doesn’t appear to be followed by any Arkansas related accounts, he does follow a bunch of unofficial Pitt related accounts and Pitt’s official account follows him. It wouldn’t make too much sense for him to commit via social media to a school that he doesn’t appear to have any connections to on social media.

That, and it looks like Chris Peak got him on the phone for a premium interview. Looking through the Arkansas sites, it doesn’t look like any of their writers have gotten him on the phone since he left campus last week - in fact, the Arkansas guy who had talked to him the most didn’t even know he was committing today. The only things I’ve seen on him from Arkansas folks is linking to various Pitt articles about him. Considering most recruits tend to talk to the folks covering the school they commit to either for a post-commitment interview or story, it could be significant that Pitt writers are the ones who got him on the phone on the morning of his commitment.

It’s completely insane speculation and I’ll eat crow if I’m wrong, but I would feel better if I’m a Pitt fan than if I’m an Arkansas fan going into tonight.

Edit: looks like he follows Pitt’s official basketball account now, too. My prediction based on all of this extremely reliable, scientific evidence is that he’s ours. With that said, I should find something much more productive to do with my afternoon!

Last edited:

Horton announces tonight on his instagram. While he doesn’t follow and doesn’t appear to be followed by any Arkansas related accounts, he does follow a bunch of unofficial Pitt related accounts and Pitt’s official account follows him. It wouldn’t make too much sense for him to commit via social media to a school that he doesn’t appear to have any connections to on social media.

That, and it looks like Chris Peak got him on the phone for a premium interview. Looking through the Arkansas sites, it doesn’t look like any of their writers have gotten him on the phone since he left campus last week - in fact, the Arkansas guy who had talked to him the most didn’t even know he was committing today. The only things I’ve seen on him from Arkansas folks is linking to various Pitt articles about him. Considering most recruits tend to talk to the folks covering the school they commit to either for a post-commitment interview or story, it could be significant that Pitt writers are the ones who got him on the phone on the morning of his commitment.

It’s completely insane speculation and I’ll eat crow if I’m wrong, but I would feel better if I’m a Pitt fan than if I’m an Arkansas fan going into tonight.

Edit: looks like he follows Pitt’s official basketball account now, too. My prediction based on all of this extremely reliable, scientific evidence is that he’s ours. With that said, I should find something much more productive to do with my afternoon!

Saw the same - his latest follow is Pitt’s official basketball account. Best I can tell, he doesn’t follow any Arkansas related accounts. Let’s hope this portends well for Pitt.

I agree with you and also expect him to commit to Pitt. The only seemingly persuasive argument was related to Appleby's visit being canceled, but everybody is assuming that Arkansas canceled the visit when it could very well be the other way around. Arkansas could easily go 0 for 2 and, quite frankly, you'd expect them to if not for their coach having a great history with transfers. Of course, we're talking about a kid who just turned 19 so who really knows, but I have a good feeling.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT