ADVERTISEMENT

How about a Spring 2021 Football Season?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I don't know how it would work but maybe the NFL and/or NCAA can play next spring if it isn't feasible this fall. I think it may be possible to play this fall but there's close to a 0% chance that fans will be allowed unless there is a major medical breakthrough between now and then. So would these leagues want to push things back to the spring in the hopes of having fans?

Personally , I would worry about step 1 before step 4 first.
Anyways if the social distancing is lifted in say May or June , why wouldn't people be permitted to attend a football game in September ?

Personally , I would worry about step 1 before step 4 first.
Anyways if the social distancing is lifted in say May or June , why wouldn't people be permitted to attend a football game in September ?

The social distancing won't be lifted if the virus is still here in any significant form. I can seen them allowing mass gatherings of 25 people, maybe 50 people, eventually 100 but they arent going to let 100K go to a football in that instance. That is a pipe dream.

You';re going Spring 21 and Fall 21? Both would have to be reduced seasons with practice limits. Maybe cut your schedule in half. Then figure out post season options. And eligibility

Last edited:
This could be a huge opportunity for the XFL. If college and NFL don't have a fall season, and XFL opens February 1st, people will be absolutely pumped for any football they can get.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Is anyone not paying attention to the obvious. All of this delay, and all of these seasons, golf tournaments, tennis, soccer, NFL, College, NHL, NBA, and MLB being played at the same time?? Who's watching? Who's going to all of this? They got to stagger some of these like they are now, or they won't generate any sustainable revenue.

i listened to a show on Sirius college football station about how non P5 D1 teams should play in spring. this was a few years ago, well before this crap. It was a really good proposal. basically how they wouldn't have to compete with the P5 programs..

A lot of logistical issues where you'd need really a great leader but well worth it imo..

Why can't they have an NFL season with no fans then? Most of their money is made on TV

Trust me I'm sure they are considering it. NFL & its owners are the greediest league out there. They will fight canceling the season with everything they got. If they can make it happen with no fans, they will.

I think part of football's appeal......is despite the greedy intentions of some, you look forward to the season, it is something to look forward to. Christmas is great, but Christmas everyday would cause you to blah....bah humbug and get bored with it. Football 12 months a year would be the same way for most people.

I don't know how it would work but maybe the NFL and/or NCAA can play next spring if it isn't feasible this fall. I think it may be possible to play this fall but there's close to a 0% chance that fans will be allowed unless there is a major medical breakthrough between now and then. So would these leagues want to push things back to the spring in the hopes of having fans?
Why would they allow players to interact on the football field if they don't allow fans to congregate in the stands? The virus isn't a football fan.

As to regular season in the spring? Could be an idea.

ADVERTISEMENT