ADVERTISEMENT

How can this team be last year's Georgia Tech?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
The job that Pastner did last year was really one of the best coaching jobs I've seen in awhile. That GT team was the 2nd least talented team in the ACC, yet was on the fringes of the NCAA bubble for much of the year.

Just for fun, how good would our players have to be for that to happen for us?

PG - Parker Stewart - as good as Ronald Ramon as a freshman. He sounds like a shooter and not as athletic, similar to Ramon.

SG - Marcus Carr - have an All-Freshman team type of year like Josh Okogie from GT

SF - JWF - to be ad good as Artis but better defensively

PF - Luther - to become a 12 and 8 guy.

C - Center position - for someone to emerge as a young McGhee, Zanna, or even a Dante Taylor.

I have no expectations but if a few of these players are better than advertised and we get a ton of breaks, maybe we can be GT but I'll still plan for 0-18.

I can't see anyway possible that even comes close to happening.

Would love to be wrong obviously but if Pitt wins even 5 games with this lineup in the ACC, Stallings might be COY.

The job that Pastner did last year was really one of the best coaching jobs I've seen in awhile. That GT team was the 2nd least talented team in the ACC, yet was on the fringes of the NCAA bubble for much of the year.

Just for fun, how good would our players have to be for that to happen for us?

PG - Parker Stewart - as good as Ronald Ramon as a freshman. He sounds like a shooter and not as athletic, similar to Ramon.

SG - Marcus Carr - have an All-Freshman team type of year like Josh Okogie from GT

SF - JWF - to be ad good as Artis but better defensively

PF - Luther - to become a 12 and 8 guy.

C - Center position - for someone to emerge as a young McGhee, Zanna, or even a Dante Taylor.

I have no expectations but if a few of these players are better than advertised and we get a ton of breaks, maybe we can be GT but I'll still plan for 0-18.

We will win some conference games; how many is the question. Why? Because it is probably just as hard to go winless as it is to go undefeated.

And I'll let you in on a dirty little secret. The bottom half of the ACC isn't all that special.

We will win some conference games; how many is the question. Why? Because it is probably just as hard to go winless as it is to go undefeated.

And I'll let you in on a dirty little secret. The bottom half of the ACC isn't all that special.
I agree. Any team can have a bad day and i think that will lead to some wins for us. Is that 6, 7, or 8 wins? I don't think so but i think we can come out with up to 4 conference wins. Of course when i look at that schedule I'm hard pressed to tell you where they'll come from.

Not so sure that is true !

We'll get our 4 - 6 wins in the OOC. That's about it. If we win 1 ACC game, it will be because the other team had multiple key injuries and we got very lucky on that particular night.

And we don't have Pastner as our coach. So no matter who the players are, we're not going to have that kind of year.

5 overall wins on the season is likely the highmark. Firmly expect 0 ACC wins. Those predicting 4 or 5 conference wins ... I mean, geez. Do you realize this squad is essentially a pick up team of random stragglers cutting through the gym as a shortcut? Receiving essentially no coaching?

Reactions: Pittfan85

The bottom of the ACC still has talent. I'm not saying Pitt can't pull a couple upsets, but who on Pitt's roster is better than any of the top 3 players on the bottom feeders of the ACC?

Boston College - Jerome Robinson, Ky Bowman, Deontae Hawkins
Wake Forest - Bryant Crawford, Keyshawn Woods, Chaundee Brown
Clemson - Shelton Mitchell, Elijah Thomas, Marcquise Reed, Donte Grantham

Those are arguably #12, #13, and #14 in the conference, and they could all end up playing in the postseason

Let's remember we had 4 ACC wins last year and several of the guys we lost are now playing professionally. Sure our schedule was tougher last year, but we lost so much talent, and even the talent we lost couldn't get over 4 wins.

Let's remember we had 4 ACC wins last year and several of the guys we lost are now playing professionally. Sure our schedule was tougher last year, but we lost so much talent, and even the talent we lost couldn't get over 4 wins.

True and I am not expecting much this season so don't take this the wrong way but the "talent" we did lose had many issues specifically playing as a team.

Again, I don't expect many ACC wins. Just saying the lost talent from last year is deceiving because while Young and Artis were good basketball players, they were not good teammates overall from the standpoint of playing together and playing as one team.

True and I am not expecting much this season so don't take this the wrong way but the "talent" we did lose had many issues specifically playing as a team.

Again, I don't expect many ACC wins. Just saying the lost talent from last year is deceiving because while Young and Artis were good basketball players, they were not good teammates overall from the standpoint of playing together and playing as one team.
Your last point is lost on so many.

Reactions: JS School

Yes I agree with that. I won't miss Mike and Jamel. The Mike and Jamel moping, selfish play circus can't be forgiven just because of talent. For instance, Nasir Robinson had half their ability and made one of the dumbest plays I've seen, but he's an admirable Panther because he played hard and was likable. But there's an outer limit to that line of thinking. Even if this year's team binds together and truly plays well together, they may not have the firepower to win more than a couple games.

Reactions: gary2
Yes I agree with that. I won't miss Mike and Jamel. The Mike and Jamel moping, selfish play circus can't be forgiven just because of talent. For instance, Nasir Robinson had half their ability and made one of the dumbest plays I've seen, but he's an admirable Panther because he played hard and was likable. But there's an outer limit to that line of thinking. Even if this year's team binds together and truly plays well together, they may not have the firepower to win more than a couple games.

No question. Agree totally.

Why could that same talent win 9 ACC games the year before?

The talent wasn't the issue. They weren't a FF contender but they should have been a tournament team?

This has been beaten to death a million times so I won't get into a long drawn out argument but a couple things.

-Pitt was a tourney team only because we were able to beat Cuse 3 times. Even making the tourney, the team was very suspect and it showed with the terrible showing in the NCAA tourney.

-It wasn't the same team. As much as he got beat up on these boards, losing Robinson a true PG was a killer blow. Now criticize Stallings for not adding one to replace him but without a true PG they were doomed.

-They also lost some other key contributors while not world beaters they were able to add some solid minutes like Jones and Maia that they never seemed to find replacements for.

-And obviously coaching was better. No disputing that.

You're right. Hopefully we see some progression this year. I'd see 5 wins or more as a very encouraging sign in conference, and maybe that stallings isn't clueless. 0-2 wins though and you absolutely have to fire him.

You're right. Hopefully we see some progression this year. I'd see 5 wins or more as a very encouraging sign in conference, and maybe that stallings isn't clueless. 0-2 wins though and you absolutely have to fire him.

Hope they win 5 in conference also but I just don't see it. Would love to be wrong.

And I don't think he gets fired after this season. Maybe he quits but I doubt it.

Hope they win 5 in conference also but I just don't see it. Would love to be wrong.

And I don't think he gets fired after this season. Maybe he quits but I doubt it.

I understand from a significant donor that it sounds like Stallings wife has not and will not make the move to Pittsburgh. That has to be a tough situation for the coach.

Last edited:
Maybe we should just wait a few weeks until we can actually see these guys play before issuing opinions . Go in with low expectations and hope to be surprised .

This has been beaten to death a million times so I won't get into a long drawn out argument but a couple things.

-Pitt was a tourney team only because we were able to beat Cuse 3 times. Even making the tourney, the team was very suspect and it showed with the terrible showing in the NCAA tourney.

-It wasn't the same team. As much as he got beat up on these boards, losing Robinson a true PG was a killer blow. Now criticize Stallings for not adding one to replace him but without a true PG they were doomed.

-They also lost some other key contributors while not world beaters they were able to add some solid minutes like Jones and Maia that they never seemed to find replacements for.

-And obviously coaching was better. No disputing that.

And why were we able to beat 'Cuse 3 times? Maybe it was the coach who knew how to coach these kids to beat 'Cuse? Those days are long over now, even with 'Cuse in an apparent down year.

And why were we able to beat 'Cuse 3 times? Maybe it was the coach who knew how to coach these kids to beat 'Cuse? Those days are long over now, even with 'Cuse in an apparent down year.
I wish Pitt was as good as you thought they were . I’d have enjoyed watching them much more than I did !

I wish Pitt was as good as you thought they were . I’d have enjoyed watching them much more than I did !
See, this is what I mean. I'm not sure how, with a straight face, you can criticize that team, and belittle that team, while at the same time say that if stallings wins 4 conference games he should be coach of the year.

That 2015-2016 team will likely be the best pitt team we see until the next decade at least. I could have seen Dixon having a couple down years, but more often than not he would have at least put pitt on the bubble. That is a hell of a lot better than where they are going to be at the next 2 years at least.

See, this is what I mean. I'm not sure how, with a straight face, you can criticize that team, and belittle that team, while at the same time say that if stallings wins 4 conference games he should be coach of the year.

That 2015-2016 team will likely be the best pitt team we see until the next decade at least. I could have seen Dixon having a couple down years, but more often than not he would have at least put pitt on the bubble. That is a hell of a lot better than where they are going to be at the next 2 years at least.
If your correct you’ll be able to get courtside tickets soon . Pitt is suffering because of the recruiting the last three yrs of JDs tenure was in a word poor . There’s just no talent left on this team other than Luther who’d be a great 6th man on a good team and had Cam stayed that would make only two starters . On one else JD left could play at an ACC level and thank goodness they’re gone . KS really is starting from scratch and four wins would actually be great considering the talent he was able to recruit . I’m not thinking 4 wins is really possible this yr and I hope I’m pleasantly surprised . So yes 4 wins would be a great coaching job .

I think it is possible. If some of these kids are really that talented, they'll win some games. I can already guarantee there will be some really bad losses due to inexperience. All we can really hope for this season is glimpses of the future with several freshman hopefully showing they belong in the ACC. Personally I love the fact that the roster has been completely overhauled, I think it's the best chance at building the program back up.

I think it is possible. If some of these kids are really that talented, they'll win some games. I can already guarantee there will be some really bad losses due to inexperience. All we can really hope for this season is glimpses of the future with several freshman hopefully showing they belong in the ACC. Personally I love the fact that the roster has been completely overhauled, I think it's the best chance at building the program back up.

How does completely blowing things up give you the best chamce of building back up the program? Why did a program that had gone to 3 of 5 tournaments need blown up?

The program didn't need blown up...it needed to give the best coach in program history a chance to get it back to the level he had it for something like 9 or 10 years.

Reactions: Pittx9
How does completely blowing things up give you the best chamce of building back up the program? Why did a program that had gone to 3 of 5 tournaments need blown up?

The program didn't need blown up...it needed to give the best coach in program history a chance to get it back to the level he had it for something like 9 or 10 years.

He sure didn't act like he was interested in having that chance.

We are past that though. I agree, Jamie was our best coach ever and it was insane to want him gone. But it happened. Starting last season and going forwards with stallings, it is better to just start over than him slowly try to add a piece or two yearly and mix new guys in with guys who came here wanting to play in dixon's system.

You're absolutely right that it didn't need blown up, but Dixon leaving essentially ended our run. The only chance we have with stallings is to go full out and see if he can build a program in an entirely different way. Knowing that stallings is the coach now did you really see a need for Damon Wilson, Corey manigault, guys like that to come back this season?

Because he’s been saying for years that being a bad team guarantees you will eventually be good. He’d rather be a borderline NIT team than a borderline NCAA team. It’s bizarre.

Because he’s been saying for years that being a bad team guarantees you will eventually be good. He’d rather be a borderline NIT team than a borderline NCAA team. It’s bizarre.

It is really some of the dumbest logic I have seen. In baseball it is one thing...cut payroll, develop young talent, trade veterans for prospects, etc.

That isn't the way college basketball works.

Of course they had a better coach who knew how to coach them to beat Cuse. Dixon owned Cuse his entire career.

You are arguing with yourself basically cause no one is saying Stallings is better than Dixon was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT