ADVERTISEMENT

How Immoral Are College Athletics??

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
I was eating lunch today and saw a magazine cover asking this question. So what you say?

These were also the headlines on the cover of the magazine.

Cassius Clay, the Man and the Challenge.
Bob Cousy's New Life.
The Frank Howard Conundrum
John F Kennedy: His Legacy to Sport.

The date of this magazine? March 1964. 54 years ago, college sports integrity were being questioned. So think about that the next time we talk about "the good old days".

Well.. just look to the college football program in the central part of the state and how well they continue to recruit. That's all I need to know about morality and college athletics.

Again, the fact that the reason why I posted this was from a magazine cover in 1964....that is 54 years ago....1964.............seems to be going over people's heads, which is not that surprising on these forums.

It didn't, Einstein. I just thought I would take this as an opportunity to take a shot at the nitter arrogance.

Reactions: pbrad
I would guess that what the article was worrying about back then is what the cesspool is today.

My wife’s uncle is in the hall of fame for football at a major D1 school and played in late 40s early 50s.

He said:
1. Nobody he knew getting money in recruiting
2. Nobody getting money after games
3. They got some breaks but everyone had to be a student
4. Most players worked jobs too

He knew that the school was breaking all of these things in the 90s and 00s. He was shocked and embarrassed about how stupid some of the players were vs when he played.

Funny thing - when he asked my wife’s grandfather for her aunt’s hand he apparently said “not if you are thinking about pro football or baseball”. He could have paid either one but hung up the cleats! Didn’t era, not the money like today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT