ADVERTISEMENT

How is St. Johns in the First Four Out ahead of us?

PittPoker

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2008
I'm watching the Seton Hall/ St. Johns game and the announcers are saying according to Mike DeCourcy(the guys that predicts the brackets for Fox Sports), St. Johns and Seton Hall are both in his First Four Out.

Seton Hall I can understand, their record is 16-9 and 9-5 in conference.

St. Johns is 14-11 and 6-8 in conference. I mean c'mon give me a break, St. Johns ahead of Pitt at this point is absurd.

I'm watching the Seton Hall/ St. Johns game and the announcers are saying according to Mike DeCourcy(the guys that predicts the brackets for Fox Sports), St. Johns and Seton Hall are both in his First Four Out.

St. Johns is 14-11 and 6-8 in conference. I mean c'mon give me a break, St. Johns ahead of Pitt at this point is absurd.

To make the case for SJU over Pitt:

Their Q2 and Q3 records are better: 5-1 vs 2-2. Q3 is 2-1 vs 5-2.

SJU is 2-9 in Q1. Pitt is 2-4. So SJU has played a more difficult schedule.

Resumes are close. For me, Pitt's 6-2 road record gets them in over SJU's 2-6. SJU also may lose a Q1 as their neutral site win over 49 Utah could slip to Q2. However, they swept Nova which gives them 1 Q2 win and could get them another if Nova moves into the top 30. They are 34 currently.

To make the case for SJU over Pitt:

Their Q2 and Q3 records are better: 5-1 vs 2-2. Q3 is 2-1 vs 5-2.

SJU is 2-9 in Q1. Pitt is 2-4. So SJU has played a more difficult schedule.

Resumes are close. For me, Pitt's 6-2 road record gets them in over SJU's 2-6. SJU also may lose a Q1 as their neutral site win over 49 Utah could slip to Q2. However, they swept Nova which gives them 1 Q2 win and could get them another if Nova moves into the top 30. They are 34 currently.
Yeah if the committee really values road wins and we have 6 already Pitt should be in over St. Johns imo.

They are not good. I have seen them often this year and have never been impressed. They just aren’t good enough IMO.

Reactions: buckage
The Big East is viewed as far superior to ACC. They are 9th in their conference. Like it or not people don't respect the ACC. It's weird though because UNC and Duke get respect for beating the other ACC teams, but the same credit isn't reciprocated if they lose to said ACC teams.

If Pitt keeps winning and takes care of their own business finish 5-1 or 4-2 these last 6 games then everything else will take care of itself. Their resume would be good enough to be in the tournament at that point and it would be highway robbery if they were left out which I don’t think will happen.

The Big East is viewed as far superior to ACC. They are 9th in their conference. Like it or not people don't respect the ACC. It's weird though because UNC and Duke get respect for beating the other ACC teams, but the same credit isn't reciprocated if they lose to said ACC teams.
Viewed as being far superior by whom? The brain washed people who listen to the biased media. The bottom 2 teams are absolute cow dung. SJ looks like garbage and they have the 5th highest NET in the conference.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Viewed as being far superior by whom? The brain washed people who listen to the biased media. The bottom 2 teams are absolute cow dung. SJ looks like garbage and they have the 5th highest NET in the conference.
Hey you're preaching to the choir I agree with you I'm just answering the question. Chapel did an interview that was brilliant on his radio show and he said the bias came after the few "legendary coaches" retired.

The ACC really isnt viewed as a P6 conference. Its really P5: MWC, Big East, Big 12, SEC, Big Ten. The ACC is really 3 independents (UNC, Duke, UVa) like Gonzaga and SMC who go to the tourney every year. Then the ACC 12 is a 1 or 2 bid league.

Basically that his team is slow and isn’t the team he likes to recruit and that St. John’s has shitty facilities.
He failed to mention that he recruited all of these players, who don’t fit his style of play. And he also singled out individuals and their limitations. He really cemented his position as an A1 jerk.

He failed to mention that he recruited all of these players, who don’t fit his style of play. And he also singled out individuals and their limitations. He really cemented his position as an A1 jerk.
It’s his first year there so he mostly inherited the roster

It’s his first year there so he mostly inherited the roster

Actually I think they only have something like two guys who played last year on this year's team.

His point was that when you come in like he did that it's hard to recruit people, so you end up settling for players that aren't very good and that you normally would not recruit.

Which is still a shit thing to say about your players.

Actually I think they only have something like two guys who played last year on this year's team.

His point was that when you come in like he did that it's hard to recruit people, so you end up settling for players that aren't very good and that you normally would not recruit.

Which is still a shit thing to say about your players.
I just checked his roster. 2 returns, 2 frosh recruits - a 4-star and a 3-star, 4 transfers came with him from Iona, 1 transfer from Uconn and 1 from Kansas and a few others. Not too bad, and 6 of those guys he recruited out of high school. He is blowing smoke.

Two words...Rick Pitino.
Exactly, sports are totally fake in any way they can manipulate anything, TV networks probably figure you can get a few extra viewers by saying "Rick Pitino'' so they get artificially propped up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT