How many pa folks here are

SoufOaklin4Life

Lair Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2004
Another State of Mind
In the fracking and oil business ?

I’m honestly stumped why this is an attempt at wedge issue?
Because the nyt interviewed one guy- who said he was voting for Biden ?

estimates I saw was about 26k jobs statewide .

superstein61a

Senior
Mar 31, 2019

The number is over 50K when you combine the fracking / pipeline / oil business and their suppliers. Then you put those 50K in their communities spending money at local stores, restaurants, etc and the compounding effect is large

SoufOaklin4Life

Lair Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2004
Another State of Mind
The number is over 50K when you combine the fracking / pipeline / oil business and their suppliers. Then you put those 50K in their communities spending money at local stores, restaurants, etc and the compounding effect is large
So when we compare that to the estimated 96k pa workers at or below minimum wage

because they wouldnot spend at restaurants and stores otherwise ?
Seems the compounding effect of more hourly income for 96k is way bigger

NCPitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2009
It isn't just jobs. Its also the royalties paid to landowners. Those landowners are pretty happy with fracking payments. As are their car dealers, construction companies, etc.

Reactions: PeetWeet1

superstein61a

Senior
Mar 31, 2019
So when we compare that to the estimated 96k pa workers at or below minimum wage

You have no clue how business works
Raising the minimum wage eliminates jobs

You show how inept you are thinking you can eliminate over 50K oil/gas industry jobs which are high paying, and it not have a major detrimental impact on the PA economy

Sep 23, 2020
Democrats have been talking about transitioning to renewable energy since the 70’s. It’s one of those topics that pops up once every 4 years. This was a cringeworthy moment for Biden, and Trump definitely capitalized.

pittbb80

Athletic Director
Oct 9, 2004
Eliminating oil and gas has to be one of the dumbest statements of all time

news flash the vast majority of things people use every day are made from oil and or gas. Eliminate those sources and you don’t have anything made out of plastics, carbon black,graphite or any other carbon based chemical.

flat out dumb. Anyone who listens to the Scientists would know that

Conemaugh

Scholarship
May 8, 2020

You are missing the big picture. There are thousands of landowners in PA who owned marginal land for generations who had to give up farming as a full time job and have worked the family land just enough to pay the taxes on it. They now have had a chance to make a few bucks on the land they have worked for little pay for years. Why does that bother you? Farmers are about the hardest workers I know, and most of them have a "real" job to boot just to actually make a living. You must not know many farmers

Last edited:

caleco's

Assistant Coach
Gold Member
Nov 16, 2005

You show how inept you are thinking you can eliminate over 50K oil/gas industry jobs which are high paying, and it not have a major detrimental impact on the PA economy

he has no clue about business or economics.

having a conversation with him about jobs and economics is as pointless as asking stock advice ftom your pharmacist.....oh wait....

jtownknowitall

Heisman Candidate
Jul 5, 2001
You are missing the big picture. There are thousands of landowners in PA who owned marginal land for generations who had to give up farming as a full time job and have worked the family land just enough to pay the taxes on it. They now have had a chance to make a few bucks on the land they have worked for little pay for years. Why does that bother you? Farmers are about the hardest workers I know, and most of them have a "real" job to boot just to actually make a living. You must not know many farmers
Had to give it up or didn’t want to do it no more? So now we pay them not to work.

SoufOaklin4Life

Lair Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2004
Another State of Mind
Those farmers are clearly not very successful then
Why are we subsidizing their bad business again?

prez41

All Conference
Sep 2, 2003

I am. It is an issue that keeps me voting (R) on the state and local level. A lot of regulation on development is at the state level.

Gunga_Galunga

Junior
Jan 12, 2017

It's not a simple calculation. There are 5000 people who have been working to build the Shell cracker plant in Beaver for years. They're spending billions in the region. Take a look at how many energy companies have opened offices in the region. You have corporate jobs, field jobs, landmen, lawyers, environmental, inspectors, state employees,

The cheap gas also allows utilities to invest in new gas power plants. Coal units are replaced and some converted to gas. They need to be built and then run. Utilities are investing billions in new plants. PA is one of, if not the largest net export on electricity in the country.

All of this eventually trickles down into the state and local economies.

It's a loser for him in PA. It's why he's trying to squirm his way out of his comments during the primary, even if it's going to piss of the far left.

CJsE

Freshman
Mar 5, 2016
That's not exactly true, many of those jobs commonly listed among those 50k+ figures includes gas station attendants. It's really closer to 39,000 for gas, coal, and petroleum combined when looking across several industries including coal mining, oil, and gas field machinery manufacturing, extraction, professional and business services, wholesale trade, agriculture and forestry, and construction.

Compare that number to the same relevant clean energy sectors and clean energy employs slightly over 26,000 Pennsylvanians, not including those working in the manufacture and installation of energy efficiency products. Pennsylvania dropped the ball with manufacturing for the industry because of the push back from oil and gas companies. Ohio is one of the major centers for the wind manufacturing industry, they have nearly 40,000 jobs in manufacturing alone in the state. Pennsylvania will never produce as much wind power as Ohio, but there is no reason our manufacturing industry couldn't catch or surpass them.

upj87

Heisman Winner
Nov 5, 2003

go up north to the PA/New York border and ask the folks on either side their thoughts on the benefits of fracking or lack thereof...

Reactions: HunkyPanther

revampedpanthers

Sophomore
Oct 6, 2012

Even more important is raising the minimum wage reduces everyone making over it incomes. If you curremtly make 22 dollars a hour your effectively going to see your income reduced. A burger from McDonald's cost twice as much because they are paying their workers 15 dollars an hour. It just leads to inflation which in the long run eventually evens back out. You are always going to have low middle and upper class, you cant eliminate it with increased wages because you simply get inflation.

Reactions: superstein61a

jtownknowitall

Heisman Candidate
Jul 5, 2001
Even more important is raising the minimum wage reduces everyone making over it incomes. If you curremtly make 22 dollars a hour your effectively going to see your income reduced.
Baloney.

What happens when you give the guy making 22 dollars an hour a raise?

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
Well.......it is really interelated. Alot of still goes into the pipes. Alot of steel goes into pipelines that carry the things. Many electronics, components, it is not just "fracking" per se. There is alot of ancillary jobs.

joeydavid

Head Coach
Feb 5, 2003

Nah, just last month donnie claimed that there are 940,000 natural gas jobs in PA. The country bumpkins in Latrobe all cheered when he said it so it must be true...🙄

joeydavid

Head Coach
Feb 5, 2003
What big picture are you referring to? Is it the record farm bankruptcies under donnie?

joeydavid

Head Coach
Feb 5, 2003
Even more important is raising the minimum wage reduces everyone making over it incomes. If you curremtly make 22 dollars a hour your effectively going to see your income reduced. A burger from McDonald's cost twice as much because they are paying their workers 15 dollars an hour. It just leads to inflation which in the long run eventually evens back out. You are always going to have low middle and upper class, you cant eliminate it with increased wages because you simply get inflation.
That's terrible math on your part or maybe you are just terrible at math. Either way, this is complete fictional nonsense.

SoufOaklin4Life

Lair Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2004
Another State of Mind
go up north to the PA/New York border and ask the folks on either side their thoughts on the benefits of fracking or lack thereof...
My family in potter county have plenty of. Buyers remorse since the uncapped and abandoned wells reach the area
Though I do shake my head at my aunt who loves Trump and ron Paul -
But is bitching to the state about her water being undrinkable from contamination
Without a whiff of irony

prez41

All Conference
Sep 2, 2003
My family in potter county have plenty of. Buyers remorse since the uncapped and abandoned wells reach the area
Though I do shake my head at my aunt who loves Trump and ron Paul -
But is bitching to the state about her water being undrinkable from contamination
Without a whiff of irony
Was this contamination from newer wells (drilled since like 2012 or so)?

CJsE

Freshman
Mar 5, 2016
IN-and-Out starts employees at $13/hr and their double-double is $3.50, $6.70 for the combo.

Mar 23, 2019

Did they interview anyone that will work at the Shell chemical plant going up outside of Pittsburgh? THat is only going up because of fracking in PA.

Reactions: superstein61a

Latest posts