How many pa folks here are

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
In the fracking and oil business ?

I’m honestly stumped why this is an attempt at wedge issue?
Because the nyt interviewed one guy- who said he was voting for Biden ?

estimates I saw was about 26k jobs statewide .
And they're all voting for Trump anyway.

prez41

All Conference
Sep 2, 2003
I can find out for sure
But definitely since mid 2000s
The reason I ask is that the regulations on unconventional wells (think horizontal Marcellus and Utica wells) were revised in 2012. These changes included an extension of the zone of presumption on water supply protection from 1,000’ to 2,500’ from the surface location of the well. The potential degradation needs to be reported to the operator and DEP within twelve months of the completion of well development activities.

If your family’s well was drilled in the mid-2000s, and it is a conventional well, the regulations were different at that time.

pittbb80

Athletic Director
Oct 9, 2004
The reason I ask is that the regulations on unconventional wells (think horizontal Marcellus and Utica wells) were revised in 2012. These changes included an extension of the zone of presumption on water supply protection from 1,000’ to 2,500’ from the surface location of the well. The potential degradation needs to be reported to the operator and DEP within twelve months of the completion of well development activities.

If your family’s well was drilled in the mid-2000s, and it is a conventional well, the regulations were different at that time.
Can’t speak for Pa but I do know for a fact that in Texas (and this was 40 years ago when I was actively involved in the drilling industry ) well operators were required to set casing 500 feet below the deepest fresh water sand to prevent fresh water contamination. This practice has been done for decades before that even so I’d be shocked if the industry didn’t adopt the same practice in Pa. people act as if fracking is something new. It’s been done successfully since the 40s. What’s new is horizontal drilling for significant lengths which allows high production rates from lower permeability shales (ie the Marcellus shale)

Reactions: gerrypitt

gerrypitt

Scholarship
Jan 20, 2011
Sunny sles Fl
Can’t speak for Pa but I do know for a fact that in Texas (and this was 40 years ago when I was actively involved in the drilling industry ) well operators were required to set casing 500 feet below the deepest fresh water sand to prevent fresh water contamination. This practice has been done for decades before that even so I’d be shocked if the industry didn’t adopt the same practice in Pa. people act as if fracking is something new. It’s been done successfully since the 40s. What’s new is horizontal drilling for significant lengths which allows high production rates from lower permeability shales (ie the Marcellus shale)
Also true in PA!

SoufOaklin4Life

Lair Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2004
Another State of Mind

Guess they didn’t use best practices
And won’t be accountable to correct
Socialize the risks for private profit
hooray

pittbb80

Athletic Director
Oct 9, 2004

Guess they didn’t use best practices
And won’t be accountable to correct
Socialize the risks for private profit
hooray
You really should read the articles and understated them before you post them

The isotopic and hydrocarbon compositions in these five samples suggest the methane may be of microbial origin or a mixture of thermogenic and microbial gas, but differed from the compositions reported for mud-gas logging samples collected during drilling of gas wells.

Samples with higher chloride concentrations had variable bromide concentrations and corresponding chloride/bromide ratios that are consistent with sources such as road-deicing salt and septic effluent (low bromide) or brine (high bromide). Brines are naturally present in deeper parts of the regional groundwater system and, in some cases, may be mobilized by gas drilling. It is also possible that valley wells were drilled close to or into the brine-freshwater interface, so brine signatures do not necessarily indicate contamination due to drilling. The chloride, bromide, and other constituents in road-deicing salt or brine solutions tend to be diluted by mixing with fresh groundwater in shallow aquifers used for water supply. Although 1 of 8 groundwater samples with the highest methane concentrations (greater than 0.2 mg/L) had concentrations of chloride and bromide with corresponding chloride/bromide ratios that indicated mixing with road-deicing salt, the other 7 of 8 samples with elevated methane had concentrations of chloride and bromide with corresponding chloride/bromide ratios that indicated mixing with a small amount of brine (0.02 percent or less) similar in composition to those reported for gas and oil well brines in Pennsylvania. In several eastern Pennsylvania counties where gas drilling is absent, groundwater with comparable chloride/bromide ratios and chloride concentrations have been reported. Approximately 50 percent of Potter County well-water samples, including two samples with the fourth (72.9 mg/L) and fifth (47.0 mg/L) highest chloride concentrations, have chloride/bromide ratios that indicate predominantly anthropogenic sources of chloride, such as road-deicing salt or septic effluent.

Last edited:

superstein61a

Senior
Mar 31, 2019
You really should read the articles and understated them before you post them

The isotopic and hydrocarbon compositions in these five samples suggest the methane may be of microbial origin or a mixture of thermogenic and microbial gas, but differed from the compositions reported for mud-gas logging samples collected during drilling of gas wells.

Samples with higher chloride concentrations had variable bromide concentrations and corresponding chloride/bromide ratios that are consistent with sources such as road-deicing salt and septic effluent (low bromide) or brine (high bromide). Brines are naturally present in deeper parts of the regional groundwater system and, in some cases, may be mobilized by gas drilling. It is also possible that valley wells were drilled close to or into the brine-freshwater interface, so brine signatures do not necessarily indicate contamination due to drilling. The chloride, bromide, and other constituents in road-deicing salt or brine solutions tend to be diluted by mixing with fresh groundwater in shallow aquifers used for water supply. Although 1 of 8 groundwater samples with the highest methane concentrations (greater than 0.2 mg/L) had concentrations of chloride and bromide with corresponding chloride/bromide ratios that indicated mixing with road-deicing salt, the other 7 of 8 samples with elevated methane had concentrations of chloride and bromide with corresponding chloride/bromide ratios that indicated mixing with a small amount of brine (0.02 percent or less) similar in composition to those reported for gas and oil well brines in Pennsylvania. In several eastern Pennsylvania counties where gas drilling is absent, groundwater with comparable chloride/bromide ratios and chloride concentrations have been reported. Approximately 50 percent of Potter County well-water samples, including two samples with the fourth (72.9 mg/L) and fifth (47.0 mg/L) highest chloride concentrations, have chloride/bromide ratios that indicate predominantly anthropogenic sources of chloride, such as road-deicing salt or septic effluent.
Asking SOUF to read and understand
You are asking way too much

Latest posts