How much gasoline can I dump into a creek?

HailtoPitt

Chancellor
Jun 18, 2001
It's on your property now.
Soon it will be on some ones property.
Ethicly speaking you shouldn't dump any gasoline in the stream.
I don't care bout no damn ethics. It's my property and I can do with is as I please. Is there law? Can I dump a gallon? 10 gallons? UnIimited?

fkthomas

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
I don't care bout no damn ethics. It's my property and I can do with is as I please. Is there law? Can I dump a gallon? 10 gallons? UnIimited?
Well if there’s no law, I can do what I want on my property and maybe my neighbors will shun me and won’t invite me to a party in the cul-de-sac. If I’m a business in a free market, The same thing... my business will suffer, as customers won’t do business with me and people will not buy my products/services and will instead go to my competitors.

BPKY

Athletic Director
Dec 7, 2008
Why would you want to dump gas in a creek?
He doesn't. He thinks he is making a clever point, but sadly he's just exposing how little he knows about property rights. The stream is not part of his property.

Riparian right, in property law, doctrine pertaining to properties adjacent to a waterway that (a) governs the use of surface water and (b) gives all owners of land contiguous to streams, lakes, and ponds equal rights to the water, whether the right is exercised or not.

9nationalchampionships

Athletic Director
May 21, 2010
PITTsburgh
Okay ..... I understand the creek rights but what point is he trying to make?

He doesn't. He thinks he is making a clever point, but sadly he's just exposing how little he knows about property rights. The stream is not part of his property.

Riparian right, in property law, doctrine pertaining to properties adjacent to a waterway that (a) governs the use of surface water and (b) gives all owners of land contiguous to streams, lakes, and ponds equal rights to the water, whether the right is exercised or not.

BPKY

Athletic Director
Dec 7, 2008
Okay ..... I understand the creek rights but what point is he trying to make?
IMO he's just mocking conservatives that support unalienable rights; and property rights in general. He's a collectivist deep down at heart.

Not that that makes him a bad person.

fkthomas

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
IMO he's just mocking conservatives that support unalienable rights; and property rights in general. He's a collectivist deep down at heart.

Not that that makes him a bad person.
Ahhh. I took him to be mocking deregulation and it’s effect on the environment.

NCPitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2009
Why would you want to dump gas in a creek?
Property rights came up in another thread because NY stopped all fracking. There was a question about whether that infringed on the property rights of the landowner because they could not receive the benefits of the gas under their land. HtP thinks he's come up with a comparable situation or he's taken it to such an extreme that everyone would agree with him that fracking should be banned.

Reactions: gerrypitt

PantherBeliever

Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
You don't own the creek, only the creek bed. You'll be dumping gas in to state property. Also I'm going to walk up the middle of your creek, not be trespassing on your property, and take a piss in it.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

HailtoPitt

Chancellor
Jun 18, 2001
Oh, so I can't just dump harmful chemicals into the water supply afterall? Anyone disagree?

NCPitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2009
Oh, so I can't just dump harmful chemicals into the water supply afterall? Anyone disagree?
No one disagrees that you can legally and knowingly dump chemicals into a water supply without consequence.

That argument does not extend to proper and legal fracking.

Latest posts