ADVERTISEMENT

How much should Pitt have offered Gallagher

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I mean this is a good test case. There will be plenty of local (if you consider southern Fayette County local) kids of Gallagher's talent year in and year out that PSU, WVU, and others will want. We just got outbid by WVU for Gallagher. How much should Pitt be paying guys like this?

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I mean this is a good test case. There will be plenty of local (if you consider southern Fayette County local) kids of Gallagher's talent year in and year out that PSU, WVU, and others will want. We just got outbid by WVU for Gallagher. How much should Pitt be paying guys like this?
PS, Pitt, ND, etc. did not get outbid. The kid isn’t good enough to make such a stink about.

Like $30k… maybe up to $100k if they have his combine numbers and measurables. By all accounts he’s delayed his testing.

Country Roads Trust has arrived.

Perhaps TheSpecialSauce is correct and those other schools chose not to match the WVU offer but it speaks volumes about Pitt and Sandusky (not ND) that they weren’t really in the conversation. It was WVU and ND.

Those denouncing his future potential?

Sour grapes.

The staffs at Pitt and Sandusky wanted him…as did Oregon, VPI, Okie Lite and Texas.

Perhaps TheSpecialSauce is correct and those other schools chose not to match the WVU offer but it speaks volumes about Pitt and Sandusky (not ND) that they weren’t really in the conversation. It was WVU and ND.

Sour grapes.

The staffs at Pitt and Sandusky wanted him…as did Oregon, VPI, Okie Lite and Texas.
🤣

Sour grapes.

In truth you can search this forum -
Most have stated he’s an athlete but not really a great football player -
I’d rather have him as a guard on the basketball team to be honest

Like $30k… maybe up to $100k if they have his combine numbers and measurables. By all accounts he’s delayed his testing.
I think a 4 star has to be worth a mimimum of 50K but I kind of agree. Pitt better start figuring out how to pay these players. Perhaps its best to just cancel the Panther Club and market the heck out of Bickell's NIL fund. I don't think Pitt can have both

Reactions: BurghGuy68
I don't think there is true market yet. NIL hasn't been around long enough for the true market to form.

Reactions: APanther
I just can’t envision a scenario in which the current model is sustainable. If money is going to players instead of schools, eventually facilities and other benefits provided by the schools will deteriorate or fall behind. Sure, the biggest of the big will be OK, but the second tier like Pitt and WVU will eventually fall too far behind. When guys like Addison are getting $3.5 million for one season, a completely unproven guy like Gallagher is getting $200,000 right off the bat, etc., I don’t see how donations to most athletic departments are also going to keep up. I am all for the players getting theirs, as they are the reason people are watching the games and supporting the athletic departments. But I can’t imagine how this is sustainable. Eventually, major college football is going to be a small group of schools.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Well Pitt doesn't pay anything. As I mentioned in another thread, the silly NIL money is being thrown around by fans who are longing for their teams' heydays. USC, Miami, Texas, etc. are teams that used to be good but not longer are. So fans are overreacting and pitching in millions to correct the problem. WVU fits that description.

Don't get me wrong - I would love to have Gallagher. But $800k for a guy with speed concerns? They would have paid about the same amount for Raines, so...

Reactions: pittmeister

Sour grapes.

I’ll repost this for your benefit:

Before any WVU fan comes over here and declares victory, I have a few things to point out…

1. We would LOVE to have him at Pitt, but if he goes elsewhere no tears will be shed here.

2. The way Narduzzi is recruiting, especially that position , Pitt will be more than fine. Pitt no longer relies on local recruits to get star players. Practically all of our star players are from outside the area.

3. From people who watched him play, they will tell you he’s a great athlete more than a great football player. He doesn’t stand out as a player with that many stars…

No sour grapes, but that’s how most of us feel….

In addition, it does speak volumes as you say…If PSU wanted him badly, they could easily pay Gallagher more than WVU, but the general consensus from most people is what I wrote on point #3

It’s a bad investment….

I just can’t envision a scenario in which the current model is sustainable. If money is going to players instead of schools, eventually facilities and other benefits provided by the schools will deteriorate or fall behind. Sure, the biggest of the big will be OK, but the second tier like Pitt and WVU will eventually fall too far behind. When guys like Addison are getting $3.5 million for one season, a completely unproven guy like Gallagher is getting $200,000 right off the bat, etc., I don’t see how donations to most athletic departments are also going to keep up. I am all for the players getting theirs, as they are the reason people are watching the games and supporting the athletic departments. But I can’t imagine how this is sustainable. Eventually, major college football is going to be a small group of schools.
Well, yea, there's only a handful of schools who can fund NIL salaries AND facilities upgrade stuff. But, here's the thing, these kids dont need gold-plated locker rooms and diamond-encrusted weight benches. We funded those things because we couldn't pay players. They were being paid in facilities. Now they're being in money. All booster donations have to go to the NIL fund, Panther Club scrapped, and have the general university fund fund locker room upgrades

I was reading the Georgia Tech board this morning to get their thoughts on the TE transfer we landed. One of them mentioned listening to a radio show that said this is exactly what college football wants. They want schools like USC to be good instead of schools like Pitt because they bring a bigger overall draw to the sport.

So maybe that's accurate and maybe it isn't. Personally, I would think that the MLB should serve as a model for what happens when there is no parity. But, as much as I hate to admit it, maybe college football would have enough parity if Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Texas, Texas A&M, Florida, Miami, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, Notre Dame, Oregon, Florida State, Auburn, Oklahoma, and some others are firing on all cylinders. That's a large number of schools that cover a large geography. Maybe they don't need Pitt. We saw the ratings for the ACC Championship this past year, and they weren't good. It's a pretty sad reality, but it might be one we have to accept with not having a very great college football fan base.

Reactions: section13
$0. How would you feel in that locker room if an unproven kid was getting 100K and you’re getting nothing? Could easily backfire.

Reactions: sdnp
$0. How would you feel in that locker room if an unproven kid was getting 100K and you’re getting nothing? Could easily backfire.
i'd rather focus on getting our current star players good NIL deals. If it hurts us in recruiting, oh well. We always recruited in the 40's as far as class rankings and somehow did just fine..

i'd rather focus on getting our current star players good NIL deals. If it hurts us in recruiting, oh well. We always recruited in the 40's as far as class rankings and somehow did just fine..

Yeah, but we still get plenty of players who the bigger schools covet. We don't want that to go away. Like it's possible we can still recruit in the 30s or 40s but the overall talent gap between what is #25 and what is #40 widens.

We've already seen that happen in the top 5. Alabama and Ohio State recruiting better than everyone else is no big deal in and of itself... it's just how much better than everyone else they recruit that has been the problem. If I go by the composite rankings, we were 29th in 2021 with an overall score of 209.14. Well, maybe in the future the 29th rated school has a score of 190. I think that will matter. We need SOME star power.

Well, yea, there's only a handful of schools who can fund NIL salaries AND facilities upgrade stuff. But, here's the thing, these kids dont need gold-plated locker rooms and diamond-encrusted weight benches. We funded those things because we couldn't pay players. They were being paid in facilities. Now they're being in money. All booster donations have to go to the NIL fund, Panther Club scrapped, and have the general university fund fund locker room upgrades
Good points

Crazy Paco had pointed this out before but this thinking of abandoning the Panther Club donations in place of NIL financing is a prospect of doom. You may not need nice facilities as much as you will need Big NIL deals going forward …but you can’t let them get run down and grimy Pitt Stadium / FFH was, either.

The luxury facilities race will still be running strong even with NIL, and that’s where regular old donations still apply. If a guy is getting same $million offer in NIL deals from three different schools, something else is going to be the deal sealer.

And it goes with out saying, you still need a formidable head coach as well. Another thing not going to be funded by NIL.

To quote Queen, these kids want it all, they want it all, and they want it now.

Crazy Paco had pointed this out before but this thinking of abandoning the Panther Club donations in place of NIL financing is a prospect of doom. You may not need nice facilities as much as you will need Big NIL deals going forward …but you can’t let them get run down and grimy Pitt Stadium / FFH was, either.

The luxury facilities race will still be running strong even with NIL, and that’s where regular old donations still apply. If a guy is getting same $million offer in NIL deals from three different schools, something else is going to be the deal sealer.

And it goes with out saying, you still need a formidable head coach as well. Another thing not going to be funded by NIL.

To quote Queen, these kids want it all, they want it all, and they want it now.
We are going into debt for the Taj Mahal of women's volleyball. I'm sure we'll be able to keep the football locker rooms looking nice. Panther Club needs gone and all money to NIL.

I was reading the Georgia Tech board this morning to get their thoughts on the TE transfer we landed. One of them mentioned listening to a radio show that said this is exactly what college football wants. They want schools like USC to be good instead of schools like Pitt because they bring a bigger overall draw to the sport.

So maybe that's accurate and maybe it isn't. Personally, I would think that the MLB should serve as a model for what happens when there is no parity. But, as much as I hate to admit it, maybe college football would have enough parity if Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Texas, Texas A&M, Florida, Miami, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, Notre Dame, Oregon, Florida State, Auburn, Oklahoma, and some others are firing on all cylinders. That's a large number of schools that cover a large geography. Maybe they don't need Pitt. We saw the ratings for the ACC Championship this past year, and they weren't good. It's a pretty sad reality, but it might be one we have to accept with not having a very great college football fan base.
So, what’s needed to be done?

So, what’s needed to be done?

For me personally? I'll just stop watching if it gets too silly. Like all transitional phases, breaking up is more difficult than being broken up. Once you've reached the latter stage, you just say "F it" one day. I've done that with the Pirates and Pitt basketball already. Fall is a beautiful season in this state: Sitting on the couch all Saturday watching football is fun, but there is plenty else to do.

We are going into debt for the Taj Mahal of women's volleyball. I'm sure we'll be able to keep the football locker rooms looking nice. Panther Club needs gone and all money to NIL.
I agree with you on this SMF. It didn't make sense 2-3 years ago and it makes even less sense now.

As NIL becomes bigger, FB and BB fans aren't going to care about funding scholarships and facilities for volleyball, soccer, swimming, etc... The money needs to find it's way into the revenue sports.

Reactions: TD_6082
I agree with you on this SMF. It didn't make sense 2-3 years ago and it makes even less sense now.

As NIL becomes bigger, FB and BB fans aren't going to care about funding scholarships and facilities for volleyball, soccer, swimming, etc... The money needs to find it's way into the revenue sports.
Future Pitt students and parents better plan on higher tuition then, because there is no way Pitt will reduce what it wants to do for the non-revenue sports. No way.

Without a conference to provide revenue as it does today, and without AD donations (because of the thinking that many people who used to donate to the AD or to the PC will give most of that NIL shell orgs instead), Pitt would have to go to the students for it. There’s no way Pitt in this day and age would leave these sports hanging.

Pitt should offer a scholarship and I'm not sure there's a company that would offer anything more than free meals once a week. Unproven and not a name brand like just about every high school recruit in this country.

I’ll repost this for your benefit:

Before any WVU fan comes over here and declares victory, I have a few things to point out…

1. We would LOVE to have him at Pitt, but if he goes elsewhere no tears will be shed here.

2. The way Narduzzi is recruiting, especially that position , Pitt will be more than fine. Pitt no longer relies on local recruits to get star players. Practically all of our star players are from outside the area.

3. From people who watched him play, they will tell you he’s a great athlete more than a great football player. He doesn’t stand out as a player with that many stars…

No sour grapes, but that’s how most of us feel….

In addition, it does speak volumes as you say…If PSU wanted him badly, they could easily pay Gallagher more than WVU, but the general consensus from most people is what I wrote on point #3

It’s a bad investment….
Stating “no sour grapes” speaks volumes.

sour grapes….Sorry.

• Haha
Reactions: pittmeister
I think a 4 star has to be worth a mimimum of 50K but I kind of agree. Pitt better start figuring out how to pay these players. Perhaps its best to just cancel the Panther Club and market the heck out of Bickell's NIL fund. I don't think Pitt can have both
So you are suggesting that recruiting sites set the minimum payout for what programs should offer. The blowback on this would create more backdoor deals. There needs to be something set that only current student athletes are eligible for NIL. As was mentioned here, lining the pockets of unproven preps can possibly create locker room turmoil. Besides...how many 4 star prospects turn out to be two star duds. Or what prevents a kid from taking his enrollment money and heading for greedier pastures after one year. How many of those guys can a program sustain year after year.

So you are suggesting that recruiting sites set the minimum payout for what programs should offer. The blowback on this would create more backdoor deals. There needs to be something set that only current student athletes are eligible for NIL. As was mentioned here, lining the pockets of unproven preps can possibly create locker room turmoil. Besides...how many 4 star prospects turn out to be two star duds. Or what prevents a kid from taking his enrollment money and heading for greedier pastures after one year. How many of those guys can a program sustain year after year.
He doesn’t really think things through

Stating “no sour grapes” speaks volumes.

sour grapes….Sorry.
You’re wishing, hoping and praying that we’re wrong won’t help. What I stated concerning Pitt’s recruiting is FACT. What was said about Gallagher is opinion of those who have watched him play.

You’re worried about a lot of things or your ass wouldn’t be here. Your constant presence on this board speaks volumes….. You’re worried….Not sorry….

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT