ADVERTISEMENT

How Pitt can still get a Tier 1 bowl

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
- Georgia beats LSU and both make the CFP.

- Wisconsin loses to OSU but they and Penn State stay ranked ahead of Auburn and Alabama which means the B10 teams go to the Rose and Orange Bowls

- The Citrus is opened up for the ACC and they take ND

- UVa to the Orange, VT to the Camping World Bowl

- Tier 1 would be Wake + 3 of Louisville, Pitt, UNC, FSU, Miami.

- Assume Louisville to Music City

- The Belk, Pinstripe, and Sun would choose between Wake, Pitt, FSU, UNC, and Miami

Even in this scenario, I think it would be tough for Pitt though. I'd think the Pinstripe would take the FSU brand, the Belk would take UNC, and the Sun would get stuck with Wake.

This would leave the Military Bowl to decide between Pitt and Miami.

Heather needs to get on a plane to Charlotte NC., and explain the situation to those good ole boys down there.

- Georgia beats LSU and both make the CFP.

- Wisconsin loses to OSU but they and Penn State stay ranked ahead of Auburn and Alabama which means the B10 teams go to the Rose and Orange Bowls

- The Citrus is opened up for the ACC and they take ND

- UVa to the Orange, VT to the Camping World Bowl

- Tier 1 would be Wake + 3 of Louisville, Pitt, UNC, FSU, Miami.

- Assume Louisville to Music City

- The Belk, Pinstripe, and Sun would choose between Wake, Pitt, FSU, UNC, and Miami

Even in this scenario, I think it would be tough for Pitt though. I'd think the Pinstripe would take the FSU brand, the Belk would take UNC, and the Sun would get stuck with Wake.

This would leave the Military Bowl to decide between Pitt and Miami.

You got crushed on this whole bowl thing the other day so you are just going to keep at it. Really have to admire your commitment.

I feel like it would be more effective to commit the resources to winning more games. I don't think I'm alone on that one but it's probably not easy to argue why your seven win program should get a premier bowl game.

Not that NYC in December is premier, but the fact that UNC would be selected over us for that bowl with a worse record and a loss to us could be considered a snub and something Heather should mention to the powers that be. But yeah, we kind of made our own bed by losing to BC and not being 8-4 and making the point moot.

Reactions: superstein61a
Not that NYC in December is premier, but the fact that UNC would be selected over us for that bowl with a worse record and a loss to us could be considered a snub and something Heather should mention to the powers that be. But yeah, we kind of made our own bed by losing to BC and not being 8-4 and making the point moot.

This wasnt a good Pitt team. The D was good but maybe a little overrated given the schedule and what we were used to seeing in the early Narduzzi years. Like I dont think this team is a whole let better than the 5-7 team and clearly Narduzzi's 2nd worst so no, I don't think we "deserve" a Tier 1 bowl but I would still hold out hope for NYC. Its likely the only bowl I'd go to. Detroit and Annapolis are so close but those would be game time decisions given the weather, opponent, etc. Like I'm not driving to Annapolis to see us play Temple in 35 degree rain. I'd do that for NYC though.

This wasnt a good Pitt team. The D was good but maybe a little overrated given the schedule and what we were used to seeing in the early Narduzzi years. Like I dont think this team is a whole let better than the 5-7 team and clearly Narduzzi's 2nd worst so no, I don't think we "deserve" a Tier 1 bowl but I would still hold out hope for NYC. Its likely the only bowl I'd go to. Detroit and Annapolis are so close but those would be game time decisions given the weather, opponent, etc. Like I'm not driving to Annapolis to see us play Temple in 35 degree rain. I'd do that for NYC though.

True, Like Mark Madden says, you are what your record says you are. But UNC's record says their record is worse than ours and as long as there is a distinction between"tier 1" & "tier 2", no way UNC should be a Tier 1 over us. But I've seen enough college football to know that's not how it works. Maybe they see UNC like us in 2015....fans optimistic with a new coach and willing to support traveling to a crap bowl game given their optimism/happiness of the season. Us on the other hand were largely disappointed with the results and I don't think as willing to travel to a bowl.

True, Like Mark Madden says, you are what your record says you are. But UNC's record says their record is worse than ours and as long as there is a distinction between"tier 1" & "tier 2", no way UNC should be a Tier 1 over us. But I've seen enough college football to know that's not how it works. Maybe they see UNC like us in 2015....fans optimistic with a new coach and willing to support traveling to a crap bowl game given their optimism/happiness of the season. Us on the other hand were largely disappointed with the results and I don't think as willing to travel to a bowl.

I think they go to the Belk Bowl. That makes too much sense. I don't think the Pinstripe would take them over us but I do think the Pinstripe would take FSU, VT, or Lou over us.

Lots of ifs in the scenario but I always enjoy bowl talk. Wisconsin will be in the Rose Bowl after Saturday. PSU will be heading to the Citrus, Florida will be in the Orange, Auburn in the Sugar, ND in either the Citrus or Sugar, Baylor in the Cotton. UVA Orange, VT Camping World, Pitt Music City, Wake Belk, UNC Military, Louisville Pinstripe, BC Detroit, Miami, Shrevepoint, FSU SUN. Miami went to the Sun a few years ago left a bad taste in the organizer. ESPN has a big say in the matchups and Pitt draws eyeballs and the SEC would like to see a matchup between PITT & Kentucky in Nashville

Lots of ifs in the scenario but I always enjoy bowl talk. Wisconsin will be in the Rose Bowl after Saturday. PSU will be heading to the Citrus, Florida will be in the Orange, Auburn in the Sugar, ND in either the Citrus or Sugar, Baylor in the Cotton. UVA Orange, VT Camping World, Pitt Music City, Wake Belk, UNC Military, Louisville Pinstripe, BC Detroit, Miami, Shrevepoint, FSU SUN. Miami went to the Sun a few years ago left a bad taste in the organizer. ESPN has a big say in the matchups and Pitt draws eyeballs and the SEC would like to see a matchup between PITT & Kentucky in Nashville

Kentucky in Nashville eliminates Louisville and would seem to open the door a bit for Pitt. Though they could take the FSU or Miami brands. Also UNC isn't that far away.

UNC has the same conference record as Pitt but not beating BC and/or Miami is kind of the point. It's kind of hard to argue you deserve something when you really don't exactly have anything to point to that makes it harder to argue. If they fall one game short of the Coastal because they got jumped on the first night of the season but take care of their business elsewhere, this team is 9-3, possibly ranked, and can easily make claims that it deserves better.

Reactions: PittFamily2
UNC has the same conference record as Pitt but not beating BC and/or Miami is kind of the point. It's kind of hard to argue you deserve something when you really don't exactly have anything to point to that makes it harder to argue. If they fall one game short of the Coastal because they got jumped on the first night of the season but take care of their business elsewhere, this team is 9-3, possibly ranked, and can easily make claims that it deserves better.
If PITT controlled what they could control which was two wins ( BC & Miami) and showed up for the VT game which IMO was winnable PITT could make some noise for a better bowl.

Not now.
Take what you can get now.

Reactions: pittdan77
Was I the only one who noticed how ironic it was that Quick Lane auto was advertising at our games.?

I kept thinking WTF, why isnt Camping World selling their stuff here?

Reactions: bubba31
How Pitt can still get a tier 1 bowl...

A tier 1 bowl can select Pitt to play in its game. Simple as that.

You got crushed on this whole bowl thing the other day so you are just going to keep at it. Really have to admire your commitment.

In about another three posts he will have covered every reasonable possibility of what might happen, and then no matter what he can come on here later on and tell everyone that he knew all along what was going to happen. It's his shtick.

Reactions: BFo8 and Ski11585
Friendly reminder Pitt has sold out their allotment of bowl tickets in all the Narduzzi years (as far as I know)

Can we stop with the traveling fan part of the discussion then?

Very good points.

I know Pitt sold out all of their tickets to Military Bowl and requested many more, and I think Pitt sold all of their tickets to Pinstripe Bowl.

I do not think Pitt sold all of their tickets to Sun Bowl tickets but neither does any other ACC team (see UNC and Miami in the past) and neither did Stanford last year.

F the Fake News.

FTP
NGF

I admire his apparent availability of all this excess free time to spend on this. And here I thought SMF had kids??

In about another three posts he will have covered every reasonable possibility of what might happen, and then no matter what he can come on here later on and tell everyone that he knew all along what was going to happen. It's his shtick.

It’s exactly what touts do, they throw as much crap as they can out there and then endlessly hype it when something inevitably sticks.

Even Western Mich not a sure thing with this offense and now leaky defense.
Guess better to get more credible match-up and hope.

ADVERTISEMENT