ADVERTISEMENT

How will you feel about Stallings if

15+ total wins would be surprising on the good side, and I'll be encouraged for next year.

Less than 10 would be suprising on the bad side, and it'll be time to cut bait and get a up-and-coming coach who can recruit and build excitement.

10 to 14 total wins is expected by me.... and will result in Pitt keeping Stallings another year and the program continuing to be irrelevant.

So I am rooting for 15+ or single-digits... because either one is an inflection point to either extend Stallings or fire him as soon as you can.

At least this guy can articulate his thoughts. Hopefully this will be an important asset moving forward with the players. The type of players he inherited when arriving at PITT was not what he was accustomed to at Vanderbilt from a skill and IQ standpoint. Jamie, Perterson, and Nordenberg left this program in a mess.

I think Pitt basketball this season has a chance to be like the team in the movie Hoosiers!!!!

Before they get Jimmy playing again.

I know the consensus is that he's not a good Xs and Os coach.

This isn't true at all (although I can't opine about his year at Pitt--maybe he forgot everything in one year). A lot of Vanderbilt fans convinced themselves he wasn't, because they were frustrated about things he was doing poorly in other areas, especially managing team dynamics for certain kinds of teams.

Reactions: gary2
This isn't true at all (although I can't opine about his year at Pitt--maybe he forgot everything in one year). A lot of Vanderbilt fans convinced themselves he wasn't, because they were frustrated about things he was doing poorly in other areas, especially managing team dynamics for certain kinds of teams.

I’ve always heard he is well regarded, but honestly he looked absolutely clueless last year. He basically took a guy who had been a third team all ACC center and told him to play like a 2 guard.

He also converted a guy who clearly wasn’t a PG into one. The other PG options weren’t great, but having your primary scorer move onto the ball all the time was a failure from the start.

Isn’t it crazy to believe that not too many years ago Pitt was a force to be reckoned with. Now we have our sights set on the lofty goal of making the NIT...smh

I just hope Pitt finds a new coach if Stallings underperforms again this season.

Isn’t it crazy to believe that not too many years ago Pitt was a force to be reckoned with. Now we have our sights set on the lofty goal of making the NIT...smh

I just hope Pitt finds a new coach if Stallings underperforms again this season.

That's what is so sad. And realistically with this coach, we have no shot at the NIT for at least 3 or 4 years. If he's still here that long. Barnes, Stallings and now Lyke have torn this program down to this now.

I hope someone can get a real coach here before too long.

And for the hundredth time, without a PG, no coach was taking last year's team to the tournament. Any ACC team's backup PG would've been a major upgrade to Pitt's roster last year, and to their chances of success.
The lack of a point guard wasn't the biggest issue in my estimation. At the top of the list was the fact that we were very poor defensive team.

For much of the year, our offensive efficiency was in the 30s among NCAA teams and ended at #45 I believe.

For all of the year, our defensive efficiency was no better than #100 and ended around #149.

Even with more offensive efficiency, we were far from being an NCAA team playing that kind of defense.

And for the hundredth time, without a PG, no coach was taking last year's team to the tournament. Any ACC team's backup PG would've been a major upgrade to Pitt's roster last year, and to their chances of success.
So why leave that spot open and not recruit someone? What about recruiting a C? What about recruiting both since KS certainly didn't hold the roster in high regard and could have sent someone packing. We recruited half our roster after April this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT