ADVERTISEMENT

How you root during the college football season

Dointhatrag

Sophomore
Sep 3, 2017
I know we all have different philosophies on which teams to root for in college football games across the country during the season. Here is mine:

In order of importance
1) Pitt
2) Any outcome that helps Pitt in the ACC standings (Currently root against any team in a conference game with same or fewer losses than Pitt in conference)
3) Root for all ACC teams in OOC
4) Root for all teams on Pitt's schedule (this is hard for when it comes to WVU but helps Pitt in SOS)
5) Root against Penn St, Ohio St, Oklahoma, Alabama
6) Root for underdogs
7) Root for any FCS/non P5 over P5 teams

I like the list, but I would throw the teams I include in my absolutely ridiculous, 15-leg, $5 to win $1,000+ parlay up to 2nd on the list

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
This year, it will be:

1) Pitt
2) Whatever helps us in the ACC
3) Whomever Penn State is playing
3a) Whomever USC is playing
3b) Whomever ND is playing
4) ACC OOC
5) Upsets

I also root against the teams that might be ranked above us in the years when we are ranked, too.

Reactions: Harlo4PITT
This year, it will be:

1) Pitt
4) ACC OOC
5) Upsets

I also root against the teams that might be ranked above us in the years when we are ranked, too.
you need to clarify the #3 pecking order...I would root for USC and Notre Dame and AL Qaeda University, for that matter, when matched up against Penn State...

Reactions: Jim Z and Farnox
you need to clarify the #3 pecking order...I would root for USC and Notre Dame and AL Qaeda University, for that matter, when matched up against Penn State...

It's the order listed, basically. But I don't really have an inherent wish for any other team to lose. Like I don't care about Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc. other than the fact that I like seeing the upset.

It also is a little more tiered in that I'll root against a team that I know is recruiting a player against us, etc.

1. Pitt
2. Against all B1G except Purdue
3. Against all Big 12 except BYU (I know)
4. Against all SEC except Missouri
5. For any ACC team not named UNC, Dook, or FSU
6. For all MWC and WAC schools
7. Indifferent toward all PAC 12 Schools
8. I root for ND to cease to exist.

Last edited:
I know we all have different philosophies on which teams to root for in college football games across the country during the season. Here is mine:

In order of importance
1) Pitt
2) Any outcome that helps Pitt in the ACC standings (Currently root against any team in a conference game with same or fewer losses than Pitt in conference)
4) Root for all teams on Pitt's schedule (this is hard for when it comes to WVU but helps Pitt in SOS)
6) Root for underdogs
Pitt
Anyone who plays the Nits.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
1. Pitt
2. Against all B1G except Purdue
3. Against all Big 12 except BYU (I know)
4. Against all SEC except Missouri
5. For any ACC team not named UNC, Dook, or FSU
6. For all MWC and WAC schools
7. Indifferent toward all PAC 12 Schools
8. I root for ND to cease to exist.
This is quite the strange list of specific teams in the for/against category, ND notwithstanding.

This is quite the strange list of specific teams in the for/against category, ND notwithstanding.
Lived in west Lafayette and Purdue is mostly harmless. Wife did med school in Missouri and loves 'em. I always liked the WAC/MWC , hence BYU.

1. Pitt
2. Anyone playing Penn State
3. Anyone playing WVU
4. Games that help Pitt in the standings
5. Other programs I enjoy watching

There was a year in the 80's where we needed PSU to win a game against someone so that we would have a shot at a bowl. My whole family are PSU folks so we all joked that for one day we'd all be on the same side as we watched the game. I lasted only 2 series. I just couldn't do it. They won. I was miserable. To make matters worse, we lost that day and I think they killed us a week or 2 later and I've felt dirty about those 2 series ever since.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
This year, it will be:

1) Pitt
4) ACC OOC
5) Upsets

This is spot on for me with the addition of against any and all b10 teams playing ooc. USC is my newest addition to route against, Riley is the new Meyer.

With the recruiting that’s being done and the ease in which they are arriving here, an AL Qaeda university probably already exists here. They just aren’t interested in American football. Hopefully not nuclear footballs either.

In order of importance
1) Pitt
6) Root for underdogs
1. Pitt
2. Whoever PSU plays
3. Whoever WVU plays
4. Underdogs
5. Whatever helps Pitt in ACC standings
6. Whoever Rutgers plays

1. Pitt
2. Whoever PSU plays
3. Whoever WVU plays
4. Underdogs
5. Whatever helps Pitt in ACC standings
6. Whoever Rutgers plays
1. Pitt
2. Whoever can expose the B1G for the overhyped fraud that they’ve always been
3. Whoever can create chaos for the CFB playoff

In order of importance
1) Pitt
6) Root for underdogs
Easy.
1) For Pitt
2) Against PSU
3) Against WVU
4) Any win and ACC win that helps us and the conference
5) Against Brian Kelly
6) Against Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame
7a) Against teams ahead of us in standings
7b) Against Big 10
7c) Against SEC
8) Any teams who's win would cause general chaos.

im done trying to root for the acc to look less pathetic on a weekly basis. to exhausting. I root for pitt, then who ever is playing psu then after that, who cares..

-Root for Pitt
-Root against ND and Penn State
-Root against any Blue Bloods like Bama, Clemson, tOSU or anyone who regularly makes the playoffs
-Root against SEC and Big 10
-Root against former blue bloods trying to regain status, like Texas, Nebraska, USC
-Root for G5 over P5
-Root for FCS over FBS
-Root for Army and Navy, I like watching their weird style

1. Pitt
2. root for the team whose victory benefits Pitt.

This means I root for all of Pitt's opponents when they are not playing Pitt.
I cheer for all ACC teams in OOC games.
Ironically, I pull for teams from the Atlantic division against the Coastal division (excluding Pitt) because a Coastal loss in these games puts Pitt higher in the division standings. That will, of course, change next year.

3. I cheer for teams that will make the other P5 conferences look weaker.

This means that when a G5 is playing an SEC or B10 team, I'm most likely cheering for the G5 win.
Eventually, when conference champions automatically qualify for the playoffs, this stance will be less meaningful as conferences will be able to proof their worth in actual playoff games as opposed to subjective polling.

ADVERTISEMENT