HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
Playoffs: (Orange and Cotton Bowls)
#1 Bama vs. #4 Cincinnati
#2 Michigan vs. #3 Georgia

Rose: Utah slaps down Ohio State

Sugar: Baylor vs. Ole Miss

Remaining Teams Pitt(automatic) ND (automatic) Oklahoma State (at large), Michigan State (at large).

I think it could be any matchup that the committee feels is best, but Pitt seems like the better geographical fit for Peach and Ok St seems like a better fit for the Fiesta.

Peach: Pitt vs Notre Dame (this would be the best game for Pitt from a marquee standpoint and a real FU to the ND AD, so this is what I want)

Fiesta: Oklahoma State vs. Michigan State.

2000 flushes Toilet Bowl: Penn State vs. WVU

Your playoff picks are on point, should be fun to watch. As for Pitt, I predict we draw Michigan State in the Peach Bowl. A good bowl game against a good opponent who I think we match up well against and have a good chance to beat. We shall see how it plays out. But for now, just enjoying the win. H2P!

Reactions: lilspainishflea

Remaining Teams Pitt(automatic) ND (automatic) Oklahoma State (at large), Michigan State (at large).

I think it could be any matchup that the committee feels is best, but Pitt seems like the better geographical fit for Peach and Ok St seems like a better fit for the Fiesta.

Peach: Pitt vs Notre Dame (this would be the best game for Pitt from a marquee standpoint and a real FU to the ND AD, so this is what I want)

Here's my thinking:

OK St is a lock for the Fiesta. Pitt vs OK St or MSU vs OK St doesn't sell it out as Pitt and MSU fans will be reluctant to fly for a matchup with OK St and OK St fans, a little bummed, may not travel as many for a Pitt or MSU matchup. I think they go ND here, especially being NYD lead-in to the Rose. With their national fanbase, that game sells out.

Pitt/MSU in the Peach because being that both programs have enough alums within semi-reasonable driving distance, I think that game draws 70K with 30K MSU, 20K Pitt, and 20K locals.

Last edited:
Reactions: 303vND and Csj4854
Here's my thinking:

OK St is a lock for the Fiesta. Pitt vs OK St or MSU vs OK St doesn't sell it out as Pitt and MSU fans will be reluctant to fly for a matchup with OK St and OK St fans, a little bummed, may not travel as many for a Pitt or MSU matchup. I think they go ND here, especially being NYD lead-in to the Rose. With their national fanbase, that game sells out.

Pitt/MSU in the Peach because being that both programs have enough alums within semi-reasonable driving distance, I think that game draws 70K with 30K MSU, 20K Pitt, and 20K locals.
Locals from the Atlanta area don’t show for their local teams, what makes you think 20,000 of them will go watch two teams from the North.

Saw a CFN prediction last night of Pitt vs Michigan State in Peach Bowl.

I would prefer a shot at Notre Dame. A win vs ND would give Pitt a higher ranking in the final polls than one over Michigan State, IMHO.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
Here's my thinking:

So, did you count how many Pitt fans were at the game last night?

Your playoff picks are on point, should be fun to watch. As for Pitt, I predict we draw Michigan State in the Peach Bowl. A good bowl game against a good opponent who I think we match up well against and have a good chance to beat. We shall see how it plays out. But for now, just enjoying the win. H2P!

I'd prefer to play Michigan State as I think it's a better matchup for us.

Notre Dame is legit and I think they'll play with a chip on their shoulder.

I'd prefer to play Michigan State as I think it's a better matchup for us.

Notre Dame is legit and I think they'll play with a chip on their shoulder.
Michigan State is the more winnable game (we match up very well), however I think Pitt has been a bit disrespected by the national media (ex. "The ACC is terrible this year"- even though they have 4 ranked teams now) that a ND win would be more prestigious. I do believe with a good game, we can beat ND (and our ranking would be higher than beating MSU). Bring it on!

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I remember a few years ago when Georgia didn’t make the playoffs and played UCF and everyone said Georgia would play with a chip on there shoulder,well Georgia got blown out and ND lost there coach,I’m sure freeman will be a good coach but he’s never coached before

Pitt vs Mich St would be a storyline game. I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen. H2P!

Here's my thinking:

So you think Pitt would send 20K to Atlanta, but you didn’t think we’d sell our allotment to Charlotte and you don’t think pitt fans would travel to a Florida bowl? Your thinking is all over the place.

Reactions: pittdan77
In a perfect world we play and beat the hated Irish. Nothing better than beating Notre Dame. In the real world, I would rather play Michigan State. We have a better chance against them IMHO. Notre Dame is really good, perhaps top 5 or 6 team. The Narduzzi-Michigan State connection would be a good storyline.

Wow, I dunno. Would be a super close line. Maybe Mich St by like 1.5 - 2?
Yeah. I’m just thinking what vegas would set based on public perception. Not that I think MSU is better, I’m just considering B1G bias would play a part in how the line is set.

Pitt vs. Notre Dame would be the most exciting match up. Two excellent teams and a win against Notre Dame would really elevate Pitt in the final rankings. It's also the most marquee game in terms of national recognition.

Pitt vs. Michigan State is my second choice. Narduzzi against his old team, though we are getting a bit far away from his time there at this point, makes for a slightly interesting storyline. Anyway, it's against a good Big 10 team with a terrific RB.

Pitt vs. Oklahoma State does nothing for me. It's not really an interesting game and other than WVU, I've never had any interest in Pitt playing any of these teams.

I agree that Pitt-Michigan State is the likely matchup. Mainly because Oklahoma State makes more sense for the Fiesta Bowl and this game carries more cache than the Peach Bowl, so having Notre Dame in there puts more eyeballs on this game.

Pitt vs. Notre Dame would be the most exciting match up. Two excellent teams and a win against Notre Dame would really elevate Pitt in the final rankings. It's also the most marquee game in terms of national recognition.

Pitt vs. Michigan State is my second choice. Narduzzi against his old team, though we are getting a bit far away from his time there at this point, makes for a slightly interesting storyline. Anyway, it's against a good Big 10 team with a terrific RB.

Pitt vs. Oklahoma State does nothing for me. It's not really an interesting game and other than WVU, I've never had any interest in Pitt playing any of these teams.

I agree that Pitt-Michigan State is the likely matchup. Mainly because Oklahoma State makes more sense for the Fiesta Bowl and this game carries more cache than the Peach Bowl, so having Notre Dame in there puts more eyeballs on this game.
N.D.is the highest ranked team. Say the Fiesta gets Norte Dame.

Who would be the best opponent the Fiesta could pick for N.D.? Why not Pitt?

A league champ with a Heisman finalist over a Big 12, just lost, runner up or the 3rd best team from the Big10?

Can not imagine our Lack of traveling would be a factor. Have to believe we would provide the highest TV ratings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT