ADVERTISEMENT

Hugley to play vs WVA??

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
Per Capel in post-game. But don’t expect much since Hugley hasn’t been practicing since he got injured And won’t be in game shape. Jeffress won’t play vs WVA. Off crutches but still in a boot this week.

Per Capel in post-game. But don’t expect much since Hugley hasn’t been practicing since he got injured And won’t be in game shape. Jeffress won’t play vs WVA. Off crutches but still in a boot this week.
He did not say that. He said he was cleared and will start light practice. He also said he has been out six weeks and he is not game ready. More than likely his first game will be Michigan.

Regardless what he said.....
(whether he plays or not
vs WVU), he's not game
ready if he hasn't been
practicing. My guess is
he's currently rusty and
out of shape. Also it's a
knee injury, and that of
all injuries takes time. I
expect to see a heavy
dose of Fede and Guillermo
inside. It'll be interesting
to see what they do against
real talent (WVU).

I would be surprised if he didn't play. While he will be rusty and out of shape, Hugley's game isn't reliant on speed and quickness. I think he plays and plays relatively well

Reactions: Hail2PittPanthers
Capel said Hugley and Will Jeffress (foot) won’t play Friday when West Virginia comes to The Pete. He said Hugley will start on-court workouts Tuesday.

“He hasn’t done anything for six weeks,” the coach said. “The biggest thing for him is to see how he responds to workouts and then getting him in game shape.”

Capel said Jeffress is off crutches and plans to shed his walking boot next Monday.

Reactions: Drew1208
I would be surprised if he didn't play. While he will be rusty and out of shape, Hugley's game isn't reliant on speed and quickness. I think he plays and plays relatively well
I don’t think that he plays. He needs to get into shape in a controlled environment. Putting him out there after two practices in an uncontrolled environment is asking for another injury.

Would love to see him play a little but long term they are better off holding off.

I don’t think that he plays. He needs to get into shape in a controlled environment. Putting him out there after two practices in an uncontrolled environment is asking for another injury.

Would love to see him play a little but long term they are better off holding off.
We will need even just 75% of him to have a chance against Hunter Dickinson and Michigan next week. Hopefully the plan is to ramp him up for that one.

Went back and watched Capel's post-game interview on PSN. It wasn't definitive in what he said that Hugley won't play at all on Friday. Capel did say Hugley was cleared to practice beginning today (Tuesday) and that he wasn't close to being in game shape. So, I infer that it isn't impossible that Hugley could see some limited minutes on Friday. However, he certainly won't see any significant PT if he plays at all.

Jeffress, yes, is at least a week behind Hugley.

Not that I do not appreciate the expertise on display here in regards to his playing status but if I could throw in my two cents my suggestion would be that it may actually be a good idea to have a training staff and medical personnel evaluate his ability to participate. Not sure if Pitt has such an apparatus in place...but that is just one man's opinion.

Not that I do not appreciate the expertise on display here in regards to his playing status but if I could throw in my two cents my suggestion would be that it may actually be a good idea to have a training staff and medical personnel evaluate his ability to participate. Not sure if Pitt has such an apparatus in place...but that is just one man's opinion.
Capel said he was cleared to practice beginning tomorrow. Clearance always comes form the medical and training staff. I am sure they will also advise the coaches on whether they think he can safely see any time at all in Friday's game based on how he does with his return to practice.

Reactions: Drew1208
Hugley will play Friday. Will be in limited fashion, but I'm sure we'll see him out there for small spurts.

It says plain as day in the paper he won't , but ok.

well that must be some pretty poor reporting because if you listened to Capel talk after the game, he said no such thing. When asked about Friday, he said he's been cleared to practice and they'll see how he responds. Noted that he's not in game shape. That doesn't mean he's out for Friday. But ok.

Reactions: garrett_sherwin
Yeah, Capel didn’t say anything definitive last night either way about Hugley on Friday. He said that he was cleared today (Monday) for practice, they’ll get him in the gym tomorrow (which is today) and stretch him out and see where he’s at. But also noted that he hasn’t done anything basketball related for six weeks, so he has to get back into game shape. He didn’t rule him out, but it sounds like it’d take him being way closer to game shape than you’d normally expect for him to be able to play his regular minutes Friday.

Jeffress was all but definitively ruled out. Jeffress went off the crutches yesterday, but he’s still in the boot, and they’re hoping to get the boot off of him next Monday.

I'd put in him in a very limited pitch count. Like 4 minutes at the end of the half.
Maybe four to start the next half.

Jeffress was all but definitively ruled out. Jeffress went off the crutches yesterday, but he’s still in the boot, and they’re hoping to get the boot off of him next Monday.

All but definitively? Does that mean that it's possible he'll try to go on Friday with his walking boot still on? Cause that would seem to present some problems.

Capel said he was cleared to practice beginning tomorrow. Clearance always comes form the medical and training staff. I am sure they will also advise the coaches on whether they think he can safely see any time at all in Friday's game based on how he does with his return to practice.
I know..
Might want to turn up the dial on the old sarcas-mo meter a notch or two...

Sounds like he is out for WVU. Hopefully available for Michigan.

Capel said the expectation is that John will be doing no contact drills for the rest of the week and they will be monitoring swelling. So unless something dramatically changes, we are still a little ways off to getting him back. Michigan may be wishful thinking at this point and even if he returns, he isnt going to be close to 100%.

Reactions: joeydavid
From the Trib:

Capel said Hugley and Will Jeffress (foot) won't play Friday when West Virginia comes to The Pete. He said Hugley will start on-court workouts Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT