ADVERTISEMENT

Hugley

If I remember correctly his first foul the other night came after he pushed someone and got away with it. So he pushed them again and got called. Then he acted surprised.

He may look like a shell of the guy he was last year, but Northwestern's fixation on him is totally working in our favor tonight.
Yeah seems like we should leave chicago with a win with the way we are shooting tonight. Glad because I took them and the Steelers w the points.

What’s positive is that this year we at least have a few bodies at the position that we can play with and limit the damage for as long as John’s like this. Last year, having John playing at this level would be a total killer, even against the low majors.

I mean I’ll say something stupid -
John should get a haircut and trim his beard neatly .

He needs something to change the mojo
He looks sloppy and he plays lazy
Could be a psychological boost.
But most of all he just needs an attitude adjustment.

Reactions: FireballZ
He may look like a shell of the guy he was last year, but Northwestern's fixation on him is totally working in our favor tonight.

Hugley has been very bad this season, no question. He is out of shape and not really working hard on D or on the glass. That said, he is a big reason why we won tonight because Chris Collins watched no film and devised a sole game plan of paying special attention to Hugley leaving everyone else wide open.

Hugley has been very bad this season, no question. He is out of shape and not really working hard on D or on the glass. That said, he is a big reason why we won tonight because Chris Collins watched no film and devised a sole game plan of paying special attention to Hugley leaving everyone else wide open.
Except he sat lots of the game so explain that

I mean I’ll say something stupid -
John should get a haircut and trim his beard neatly .

He needs something to change the mojo
He looks sloppy and he plays lazy
Agree that’s stupid about his haircut & beard. Yep he’s in horrible shape, a cut & trim won’t change that. But a better diet and work ethic would be a good start.

The guy missed 6-weeks of practice with a knee injury, then didn't play a minute until the Michigan game; then was out with having aggravated the knee for the VCU game.

Bottom Line--It is way, way too early to be on the guys case about being out of both both physical and game shape. He will have been back about 6 weeks around January 1. It is reasonable to hold this sort of extreme criticism until then, IMHO.

The guy missed 6-weeks of practice with a knee injury, then didn't play a minute until the Michigan game; then was out with having aggravated the knee for the VCU game.

Bottom Line--It is way, way too early to be on the guys case about being out of both both physical and game shape. He will have been back about 6 weeks around January 1. It is reasonable to hold this sort of extreme criticism until then, IMHO.
Conditioning has nothing to do with his inability to box out or hold position on defense
Stop it

Even last year, Hugley was lazy. The conditioning has very little to do with that. He gives a spurt here and there, but mostly fails to hustle, position for rebounds, or play defense. That's just who he is.

This is a long season with many games still to come. We'll see how this group progresses and if last night was real or if it was just an anomaly, with or without Hugley. It's way too early to think this Pitt team is anything different than any of the past 5 years, but last night showed us all something of what it can be if they play great defense, share the ball, take the extra pass, and protect the ball. Now we'll see if they learn from that.

You guys are unreal , the kid has been injured which has affected his ability to stay in game shape . He’s always had a history of problems with his weight and Pitt will be at its best when he plays his best and sitting on the bench won’t help him or the team .

You guys are unreal , the kid has been injured which has affected his ability to stay in game shape . He’s always had a history of problems with his weight and Pitt will be at its best when he plays his best and sitting on the bench won’t help him or the team .
I don't think he should sit or I don't care if he's fat.
My issue is with him is how he acts on the court.
He's always looking outwardly to blame. Instead of internalizing.
He says the right things off the court but his body language says otherwise on the court.
And I fully expect to see some real good games from him this year.
But he needs to grind and work to make that happen

"He's fat," He's lazy"
"He needs a haircut."
"He's immature" etc.
etc. etc.

Yeah I get it, because
at that point in my
life I was a bastion of
maturity. HA!!
So ok, he's immature
for a Div1 Bball player
at this point in his career.
Cut him some slack. If
he continues as he was
last night, I might, MIGHT
join the chorus. For now
let's give him some support
as I'm sure his coaches and
team mates are doing. I'm
looking for him to learn
from last night and grow.
As his knee hopefully
improves and he gets
back to his game, I'm
wishing him the best. We
learn from our mistakes.

He says the right things off the court but his body language says otherwise on the court.

Yeah, there's an attitude issue with Hugley. That's going to have to change if he expects to play any significant minutes, at least for now. He has inadequacies and he has to own them and improve. You never know what Capel's thinking, though.

Reactions: Drew1208
I think what your seeing is a guy who because of his conditioning , which wasn’t born out of laziness, but out of an injury is frustration that he can’t do what he knows he’s capable of .
He’s fat. Needs to lose weight. He’s fat and slow
When your a big guy with a history of a weight issue who sustains a knee injury let’s how thin and fast you are .

Try golfing with back or shoulder injury !

Yeah, there's an attitude issue with Hugley. That's going to have to change if he expects to play any significant minutes, at least for now. He has inadequacies and he has to own them and improve. You never know what Capel's thinking, though.
I’ll tell you what he’s thinking , they’re a better team with Hugley and they need him to get into better game shape . Sitting him won’t help .

Reactions: Parkview57 and BPKY
I think what your seeing is a guy who because of his conditioning , which wasn’t born out of laziness, but out of an injury is frustration that he can’t do what he knows he’s capable of .

When your a big guy with a history of a weight issue who sustains a knee injury let’s how thin and fast you are .

Try golfing with back or shoulder injury !
I don't know what the issue is. But he needs to look inward and push himself.

Reactions: BPKY
"He's fat," He's lazy"
"He needs a haircut."
"He's immature" etc.
etc. etc.

Yeah I get it, because
at that point in my
life I was a bastion of
maturity. HA!!
So ok, he's immature
for a Div1 Bball player
at this point in his career.
Cut him some slack. If
he continues as he was
last night, I might, MIGHT
join the chorus. For now
let's give him some support
as I'm sure his coaches and
team mates are doing. I'm
looking for him to learn
from last night and grow.
As his knee hopefully
improves and he gets
back to his game, I'm
wishing him the best. We
learn from our mistakes.
What makes me ok with Hugley's play is he's looking to pass when he gets doubled and he's making good decisions. He's hitting his free throws and is surprisingly accurate from 3, which is all he could do in practice is shoot. I'll reserve judgement until January. He needs a lot of conditioning, tough love and practice time.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
??? The team is better with him off the court if they’re gonna shoot like they did last night

Obviously. If they can space the floor and hit 14-22 from deep, they're clearly better with him on the bench.

I think it's obvious we won't hit 14 triples every game and we'll need him to be the focal point of the offense if we want to win consistently throughout the year.

Hugley showed last year that he is a top ACC big man — not Bacot or Duke 1-and-done level — but definitely a guy that other teams need to account for. I do think it’s unfair to cast judgment on him right now because of the injury and trying to get back into game shape. The criticism of his on-court antics is fair.

Obviously. If they can space the floor and hit 14-22 from deep, they're clearly better with him on the bench.

I think it's obvious we won't hit 14 triples every game and we'll need him to be the focal point of the offense if we want to win consistently throughout the year.
I don’t know about *the* focal point…but certainly *a* focal point that has a gravity down low to make things easier for everyone. We need him to be at the level where he’s a threat to score 20 points, get to the line a bunch and put the other team in foul hell. I don’t think we need him to give us that every night, but he’s not really even a threat to be that guy right now, and that’s gotta change.

Guys don’t like his haircut or his facial hair and expression that tells you geniuses exactly what he is thinking. It tells me what you are thinking.

He is our most skilled player coming off an injury. He stuck with his coach out of loyalty based on his coaches loyalty to him. Half of you idiots want to run him off.

We really do get what we deserve.

I don’t know about *the* focal point…but certainly *a* focal point that has a gravity down low to make things easier for everyone. We need him to be at the level where he’s a threat to score 20 points, get to the line a bunch and put the other team in foul hell. I don’t think we need him to give us that every night, but he’s not really even a threat to be that guy right now, and that’s gotta change.
Correct. He’s unplayable rn

ADVERTISEMENT