ADVERTISEMENT

Hugley

Guys don’t like his haircut or his facial hair and expression that tells you geniuses exactly what he is thinking. It tells me what you are thinking.

He is our most skilled player coming off an injury. He stuck with his coach out of loyalty based on his coaches loyalty to him. Half of you idiots want to run him off.

We really do get what we deserve.
He’s absolutely not our most skilled player. He’s a brute force big that can bully guys when left 1 on 1. He hasn’t improved much beyond that since he was a junior in HS

Reactions: nosellout
I don’t know about *the* focal point…but certainly *a* focal point that has a gravity down low to make things easier for everyone. We need him to be at the level where he’s a threat to score 20 points, get to the line a bunch and put the other team in foul hell. I don’t think we need him to give us that every night, but he’s not really even a threat to be that guy right now, and that’s gotta change.

I guess at the end of the day, he'll be the focal point of each team's defensive scheme. He'll be doubled quite a bit and I agree he won't the only focal point of the offense in the sense that he should get the ball every time, but I think the offense needs him to be out there to be as effective as possible.. unless they make 14 of 22 from deep. He didn't score last night and drew so much attention.. even though he didn't really touch the ball much. It was clear that Collins wanted to stop him and I'd assume almost every single team we play will have that same gameplan. If we make shots, we'll win some games.

I guess at the end of the day, he'll be the focal point of each team's defensive scheme. He'll be doubled quite a bit and I agree he won't the only focal point of the offense in the sense that he should get the ball every time, but I think the offense needs him to be out there to be as effective as possible.. unless they make 14 of 22 from deep. He didn't score last night and drew so much attention.. even though he didn't really touch the ball much. It was clear that Collins wanted to stop him and I'd assume almost every single team we play will have that same gameplan. If we make shots, we'll win some games.
I know Northwestern wasn’t expected to be a world beater, but man with the bear of a league the big ten is right now, Collins is in for a LONNNGGGGGG year. They shouldn’t be this dearth of talent.

Reactions: Wanstash21
I think what your seeing is a guy who because of his conditioning , which wasn’t born out of laziness, but out of an injury is frustration that he can’t do what he knows he’s capable of .

When your a big guy with a history of a weight issue who sustains a knee injury let’s how thin and fast you are .

Try golfing with back or shoulder injury !
When you can’t do cardio maybe don’t stuff your face in the interim

Buddy - he floats on the perimeter, doesn’t work for position on rebounds or defense
These are bad habits he’s done his whole career here
They aren’t a function of lack of conditioning

I know Northwestern wasn’t expected to be a world beater, but man with the bear of a league the big ten is right now, Collins is in for a LONNNGGGGGG year. They shouldn’t be this dearth of talent.

they seem completely incapable of scoring more than 65. If they don't defend at a high level, they're totally screwed.

lol unplayable? man your agenda is very clear right now.
He is their worst defensive player even when healthy and scored 0 points last night. That’s unplayable.

I’d much rather put someone in with a pulse (Fede, either twin) that can at least pose a threat to block a shot if he’s not gonna score.

Exactly, what agenda is that? They won’t win another game all year if he can’t score at all. I like watching wins like last night

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Guys don’t like his haircut or his facial hair and expression that tells you geniuses exactly what he is thinking. It tells me what you are thinking.

He is our most skilled player coming off an injury. He stuck with his coach out of loyalty based on his coaches loyalty to him. Half of you idiots want to run him off.

He’s not skilled
He’s a high usage player with average production.
Currently he can’t rebound, defend , or score .
He gets more shots blocked than anyone with his strength ever should because he doesn’t seal off (effort )

Blake Hinson is skilled, Burton is skilled , Nike is skilled, Mo Gueye was skilled

Who is more skilled?
Hinson, anyone that can make a 3 consistently.

John is good at what he is good at. Being a brute force big that overpowers people. He doesn’t have exceptional moves, isn’t an exceptional passer, is a decent shooter for his size. I’m not sure what skills you even see.

Correct. He’s unplayable rn
He's not unplayable. In fact, he has to play to get in game shape. He's just not very effective on the glass or on defense or offense against good competition. I wouldn't go as far as a liability because he is passing well out of the post, hitting his 3s and his foul shots. He's playable, but for limited minutes. Federicko had 7 rebounds last night in 16 minutes. That's productive. John needs to get to that level.

He is their worst defensive player even when healthy and scored 0 points last night. That’s unplayable.

I’d much rather put someone in with a pulse (Fede, either twin) that can at least pose a threat to block a shot if he’s not gonna score.

Exactly, what agenda is that? They won’t win another game all year if he can’t score at all. I like watching wins like last night

The only reason he didn't play down the stretch was 1) he picked up his 3rd foul early in the 2nd half and was sat down. 2) we opened it up when he was off the floor. Fede played quality min.

He's the worst defender minus Nelly. The tradeoff is that if you need a bucket, he's your guy. He draws the attention of the entire defense. He has shortcomings, but I'll bet every penny I have that he won't go another game without scoring.

We saw what this offense looked like when he was off the floor and shots weren't falling. When Fede is out there, he's a lob threat and that's it. Much less pressure on the defense.. they can play more aggressive on the perimeter and close out without issue. Even if Hugley isn't scoring, him out there to open it up for everyone else is worth it in itself.

He's not unplayable. In fact, he has to play to get in game shape. He's just not very effective on the glass or on defense or offense against good competition. I wouldn't go as far as a liability because he is passing well out of the post, hitting his 3s and his foul shots. He's playable, but for limited minutes. Federicko had 7 rebounds last night in 16 minutes. That's productive. John needs to get to that level.
i can’t believe Pitt doesn’t possess any of the technology to keep kids in shape thru an injury. Underwater treadmills, gravity treadmills, etc etc. i mean at least to not gain the type of weight gain we have seen on him

What a weird thread. Pitt plays their best game in a long time, and some of us decide that we need to criticize a player coming off a knee injury for not being in good shape.

Where did you guys get your information that Hugley's knee isn't bothering him, and that he should be working out instead of resting it? Probably the same source that let SMF know that Collins lost this game by not watching any film of Pitt.

Pitt wins, I'm satisfied. I'll save my criticism for after a game that warrants it. There's enough of those.

He’s not skilled
He’s a high usage player with average production

Blake Hinson is skilled

Blake Hinson looks really good. He has an offensive ORTG power rating pushing 130 which is Elite All American caliber since he is carrying our offense while having that high of a number. For reference, Champ's best year he finished at 115. Sam Young's senior year was 113. Blair's best year was 126. That number is going or should drop quite a bit as this season continues. But the fact that we are 8 games into the season and have played a few decent teams is very telling that Hinson is quite good. He has played far better than anyone of us would have imagined. He can also shoot and has consistently knocked down 3's.

Burton is our 2nd best player right now and its not all that close. I dont know what to expect from Burton to finish the year. For 2 months straight a year ago Burton played at a very high level including against a bunch of ACC teams and had a very high efficiency doing so. Then he collapsed at the end of the season, either because of stamina, health, or because he just wasn't that good. Regardless, Burton has played really well the last 3-4 games or so at a very high level. And he is capable of doing that against any acc team. We'll see if his play holds up the entire season or he gets burned out at seasons end again.

i can’t believe Pitt doesn’t possess any of the technology to keep kids in shape thru an injury. Underwater treadmills, gravity treadmills, etc etc. i mean at least to not gain the type of weight gain we have seen on him
When I had a stress fracture in my tibia - so I was no weight bearing for 6 weeks -
I lost weight
It’s not complicated

John is good at what he is good at. Being a brute force big that overpowers people. He doesn’t have exceptional moves, isn’t an exceptional passer, is a decent shooter for his size. I’m not sure what skills you even see.

If Hinson is a 43% 3pt shooter, I agree. I don't think he is, but would love to be wrong.

I see a big man that's completely out of shape. Every entry pass he gets it's an instant double. He has good feel for where the pressure is coming from and has done a nice job moving the ball when the double comes. He's a brute, but that doesn't mean that's not a skill. Being able to mash, overpower and make layups is absolutely a skill. His shot is also improved from what I've seen. I feel just as confident with him at the line as anyone else on our team.

If you get each player at their peak, Hugley is our best guy.

When I had a stress fracture in my tibia - so I was no weight bearing for 6 weeks -
I lost weight
It’s not complicated

do you understand that if some people don't workout, they gain weight? Their metabolism is so bad they actually have to workout to maintain. He's a massive dude by nature. He has zero issue putting weight on, and has issues keeping it off. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your body type is wildly different than his.

Reactions: gilligan 3
He’s a career 1:2 assist:2 guy
Granted the bar is lower for bigs but that’s not good

John played 14 minutes had 3 turnovers and 0 assists
As you note Fede played 2 more minutes than John and got 5 more rebounds than him

Um, the guy that doesn't like his haircut and facial hair is probably the most liberal person on the board. I think you missed the point he was trying to make with that comment. But, for some, race consumes their every thought, so we shouldn't be surprised...

do you understand that if some people don't workout, they gain weight? Their metabolism is so bad they actually have to workout to maintain. He's a massive dude by nature. He has zero issue putting weight on, and has issues keeping it off. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your body type is wildly different than his.
Do you understand that I was literally on crutches for 6 weeks and couldn’t use my right leg and lost weight

Calories ingested > calories burned = weight gain
If you can’t burn as many calories - you eat less because you need less calories

What the hell are you talking about ?
I’m currently 6’4” and 255 pounds .
At age 44 I do need to work out regularly to not gain weight

In my 20s I could go up and down 20 pounds based on weight lifting and cardio (or lack of if )

He’s a D1 athlete with a whole team of professionals to support him .
He chose to eat himself this far out of shape

Um, the guy that doesn't like his haircut and facial hair is probably the most liberal person on the board. I think you missed the point he was trying to make with that comment. But, for some, race consumes their every thought, so we shouldn't be surprised...
I shaved my head as a kick off to start running and lifting weights again this year .
On the contrary I grew out a beard lol

Sometimes it’s about changing something physically to set your mind right
I did the same thing in hs for track and basketball

Reactions: FireballZ
He’s not skilled
He’s a high usage player with average production.
Currently he can’t rebound, defend , or score .
He gets more shots blocked than anyone with his strength ever should because he doesn’t seal off (effort )

Blake Hinson is skilled, Burton is skilled , Nike is skilled, Mo Gueye was skilled
I’d say rivals rankings are a function of skill. None of these guys rankings are as high as his. And maybe you noticed him being double and tripped teamed and maybe, just maybe our three point shooting resulted from the attention NW gave to him and our big men.

I hear your dog whistles and it’s pulling your ilk out of the shadows. You don’t like his facial hair and hairdo since it represents something you don’t like.

I’d say rivals rankings are a function of skill. None of these guys rankings are as high as his. And maybe you noticed him being double and tripped teamed and maybe, just maybe our three point shooting resulted from the attention NW gave to him and our big men.

I hear your dog whistles and it’s pulling your ilk out of the shadows. You don’t like his facial hair and hairdo since it represents something you don’t like.
This is an insane rebuttal

You tell me the reason to talk about someone’s hair on a basketball board then? What’s the point of it?

Yeah, I think when he’s playing well, he can be really effective just because there aren’t too many bullies out there anymore, and especially not in the ACC. There are teams we’ll play where we can exploit that. But John’s gotta be in a position to give us that. We’ve seen it from him before so I don’t see a reason why he can’t do it this year, but it’s inarguable that we haven’t seen that guy yet this season, and that the best version of this team is the version that has John being that guy.

With this version of John, I’m tempted to say that our best lineup has the four guards and Hinson at the 5, or three of the guards with Jorge and Hinson.

Do you understand that I was literally on crutches for 6 weeks and couldn’t use my right leg and lost weight

If you can’t burn as many calories - you eat less because you need less calories

In my 20s I could go up and down 20 pounds based on weight lifting and cardio (or lack of if )

These players have far higher calorie intakes than you. A 6'9- 7 foot NBA player probably eats 6500-8000 calories a day.

Michael Phelps used to eat 10,000 calories a day.

These are trained athletes. They are used to much higher calorie intakes than a normal person. They eat much more than a standard person with a basic gym membership. You can't just turn the switch off and stop eating the moment you get injured, it doesn't work like that. I used to eat around 6000 calories a day myself on a high training regimen while constantly working out. And I am no where near 6'9-7'0 like these much bigger players.

You tell me the reason to talk about someone’s hair on a basketball board then? What’s the point of it?
I explained it above multiple times
He looks lazy and playing lazy
Maybe the physical change can get his mind right to put the work in ?

If we was productive I wouldn’t care if he had a pink Mohawk and “F U “ shaved in the side of his hair

I'm sure you burned some calories on those crutches.. that's a much better workout than being locked into a knee brace and walking. Hugley has 5 inches and 20-30 lbs on you.

Look at a guy like Caleb Swannigan. Poor guy had to work his a$$ off to stay in shape. Got out of basketball, gained like 200 lbs and died. He was an NBA player and an elite athlete. Some guys simply have issues keeping weight off and it's extremely ignorant to assume it shouldn't be an issue because you had crutches and lost weight. Congrats pal. I guess we all don't have it as easy as you. Contact Pitt's training staff and let them know about your new found information on how to lose weight.

Reactions: gilligan 3
These players have far higher calorie intakes than you. A 6'9- 7 foot NBA player probably eats 6500-8000 calories a day.

Michael Phelps used to eat 10,000 calories a day.

These are trained athletes. They are used to much higher calorie intakes than a normal person. They eat much more than a standard person with a basic gym membership. You can't just turn the switch off and stop eating the moment you get injured, it doesn't work like that. I used to eat around 6000 calories a day myself on a high training regimen while constantly working out. And I am no where near 6'9-7'0 like these much bigger players.
And if you are eating more than you are burning you gain weight .
Are you literally arguing against science ?

I'm sure you burned some calories on those crutches.. that's a much better workout than being locked into a knee brace and walking. Hugley has 5 inches and 20-30 lbs on you.

Look at a guy like Caleb Swannigan. Poor guy had to work his a$$ off to stay in shape. Got out of basketball, gained like 200 lbs and died. He was an NBA player and an elite athlete. Some guys simply have issues keeping weight off and it's extremely ignorant to assume it shouldn't be an issue because you had crutches and lost weight. Congrats pal. I guess we all don't have it as easy as you. Contact Pitt's training staff and let them know about your new found information on how to lose weight.
They know
Calories ingested < calories burned

Why is this basic concept so alarming to you ?

They know
Calories ingested < calories burned

Why is this basic concept so alarming to you ?

do you really think they let this guy sit around and snack and not do anything about it? really? are you that naive? Hugley got baked for 6 weeks and went to McDonalds for every meal. That's WAY more likely than him being a big guy by nature and gaining some weight while his knee is locked out for 6 weeks. Right?

He’s a career 1:2 assist:2 guy
Granted the bar is lower for bigs but that’s not good

John played 14 minutes had 3 turnovers and 0 assists
As you note Fede played 2 more minutes than John and got 5 more rebounds than him
Bigs don't need to drop dimes, they just have to make the right pass that will lead to a ball reversal, or an assist/hockey assist. Hoops should have hockey assists by the way. Would lead to more passing I believe.

do you really think they let this guy sit around and snack and not do anything about it? really? are you that naive? Hugley got baked for 6 weeks and went to McDonalds for every meal. That's WAY more likely than him being a big guy by nature and gaining some weight while his knee is locked out for 6 weeks. Right?
I think once he’s on his own he eats whatever he wants .
And that’s the problem

The simplicity of this discussion is so outdated I’m almost embarrassed for you. I almost can’t believe you are a pharmacist.
What is outdated ?
Are calories not a unit of energy ?
Do excess calories not get stored as fat?
Has human and animal physiology changed recently ?

Is the new training table done yet? We hired a basketball-only (mens and womens) nutritionist this offseason, so there really shouldn’t be any reason for poor nutrition.

Reactions: FireballZ

At age 21 he probably needs to work out regularly to not gain weight.

I doubt that he chose to eat himself out of shape, it's that he chose not to stop eating to stay in shape. He's a gigantic young athlete. Those guys are used to eating big. Ideally, he'd have had the willpower to stop immediately upon being injured. Unfortunately, he doesn't. I'm not going to condemn him over it, the team of professionals will do that if they think it's warranted.

What is outdated ?
Are calories not a unit of energy ?
Do excess calories not get stored as fat?
Has human and animal physiology changed recently ?

And everyone who eats the same grows at the same rate, and everyone’s resting metabolism is the same, and everyone who does the same exercises develops the same mussel mass and everyone absorbed the same nutrients from the same food. Seriously, delete all your post in this thread, you are just embarrassing yourself. I’ll take it as you having an off day. See, some days are different than others even though you are the same person.

ADVERTISEMENT