ADVERTISEMENT

Hugley

And everyone who eats the same grows at the same rate, and everyone’s resting metabolism is the same, and everyone who does the same exercises develops the same mussel mass and everyone absorbed the same nutrients from the same food. Seriously, delete all your post in this thread, you are just embarrassing yourself. I’ll take it as you having an off day. See, some days are different than others even though you are the same person.
You literally countered nothing I’ve said

What is outdated ?
Are calories not a unit of energy ?
Do excess calories not get stored as fat?
Has human and animal physiology changed recently ?
Multiple things can be true simultaneously. John may have a slow metabolism, be susceptible to gaining weight no matter what he eats, and he could have not followed the plan given to him by the training staff, or not. Cut the kid some slack. He's a Panther. He's our guy. Yeah. He's out of shape and overweight. Finally, we have a bench that can motivate a guy once he's healthy enough to work to get in better shape. He's been back a week and a half for goodness sakes.

Multiple things can be true simultaneously. John may have a slow metabolism, be susceptible to gaining weight no matter what he eats, and he could have not followed the plan given to him by the training staff, or not. Cut the kid some slack. He's a Panther. He's our guy. Yeah. He's out of shape and overweight. Finally, we have a bench that can motivate a guy once he's healthy enough to work to get in better shape. He's been back a week and a half for goodness sakes.
And until he’s physically ready to contribute defense , rebounding , and scoring- his playing time needs limited
He needs to put the work in away from game time to prepare himself

Much like if Greg Elliott isn’t making shots his value is limited

And until he’s physically ready to contribute defense , rebounding , and scoring- his playing time needs limited
He needs to put the work in away from game time to prepare himself

Much like if Greg Elliott isn’t making shots his value is limited
I'm fine with limiting his minutes until he's in top shape. At least we have Fede and Guillermo/Jorge. We can play Hinson at the 5 for stretches depending on match ups.

Obviously. If they can space the floor and hit 14-22 from deep, they're clearly better with him on the bench.
Really?? One of the reasons
"they can space the floor and
hit 14-22 from deep" is because
he's on the floor and NOT "on the
bench." He was getting doubled
down low, that enables the
other four to have a four on
three. Space those four out as
we did, and there's an obvious
mismatch. that players and
coaches dream about.

Really?? One of the reasons
"they can space the floor and
hit 14-22 from deep" is because
he's on the floor and NOT "on the
bench." He was getting doubled
down low, that enables the
other four to have a four on
three. Space those four out as
we did, and there's an obvious
mismatch. that players and
coaches dream about.

I don't disagree at all. However, we opened it up when he picked up his 3rd foul and Fede was on the court in the 2nd half. I'm a big advocate for John and know he needs to be a huge part of this team if we want to be good. In theory, him on the floor opens it up for everyone else.

Reactions: Chescat
What is outdated ?
Are calories not a unit of energy ?
Do excess calories not get stored as fat?
Has human and animal physiology changed recently ?
Is your degree in Pharmacy or Nutritional science ?

The kid has worked tirelessly from his time in high school to get into better shape until he was injured , give it a frickin rest . He’ll get in better shape as his knee heals .

The kid has worked tirelessly from his time in high school to get into better shape until he was injured , give it a frickin rest . He’ll get in better shape as his knee heals .
Calories is basic science -
So yes had nutrition courses (enteral and parenteral )along with biochem , anatomy , etc
But of course - that’s just high school level basic science

I’ll lay off when he doesn’t play so lazy and worthlessly.
I respect effort and hustle

There are actually ways to get into better shape before the knee is completely healed. Should have been in the pool every day. Putting on weight while injured does you no favors in coming back from injury. I dropped 30lbs as I sat in a full leg cast for nine weeks back in the medieval early 80s after and acl/mcl tear repair because I knew the rehab that was to come... Consider me in the "he's just lazy" camp..

There are actually ways to get into better shape before the knee is completely healed. Should have been in the pool every day. Putting on weight while injured does you no favors in coming back from injury. I dropped 30lbs as I sat in a full leg cast for nine weeks back in the medieval early 80s after and acl/mcl tear repair because I knew the rehab that was to come... Consider me in the "he's just lazy" camp..
If he hadn’t fought a life long weight issue I’d agree .

Want to know what causes a lifelong weight issue ?
Eating more calories than you burn consistently .
#basicscience
Boy is life simple for you . You do realize that not everyones metabolism is the same . The kids ability to train is what was transforming his body not intermittent fasting or carb counting .

If your so upset about his weight gain I suggest you go up to him and explain to him that his being overweight is upsetting you I’m sure you can help him out with your basic science knowledge.

Reactions: jctrack
Boy is life simple for you . You do realize that not everyones metabolism is the same . The kids ability to train is what was transforming his body not intermittent fasting or carb counting .

If your so upset about his weight gain I suggest you go up to him and explain to him that his being overweight is upsetting you I’m sure you can help him out with your basic science knowledge.
I’d have no problem explaining 9th grade science

People with slower metabolisms (say folks with life long weight issues ) need to eat less calories than average people .

You’re arguing against objective facts
It’s not some weird fad diet
The only reason “intermittent fasting “ helps is because you are eating less - assuming it results in less daily consumed calories

I get you are intent to keep digging your hole -
But “tell it to his face” only proves one thing -
You’re afraid to say things to others .
I’m not

I’d have no problem explaining 9th grade science

People with slower metabolisms (say folks with life long weight issues ) need to eat less calories than average people .

You’re arguing against objective facts
It’s not some weird fad diet
The only reason “intermittent fasting “ helps is because you are eating less - assuming it results in less daily consumed calories

I get you are intent to keep digging your hole -
But “tell it to his face” only proves one thing -
You’re afraid to say things to others .
I’m not
No , I’m saying everything is not that simple . I don’t have a weight problem and I’m lucky enough to eat anything I want without weight gain , most people aren’t as lucky . Hugley has had weight issues his entire life and without the ability to move he’s gained weight , big surprise . Once his knee is better he can continue on the regimen that led to his weight loss . Injuring his knee and not playing to someone whose life revolves around his sport can also be somewhat depressing . Who knows what’s going on in his head . So continue bashing the kid if that makes you feel better .

No , I’m saying everything is not that simple . I don’t have a weight problem and I’m lucky enough to eat anything I want without weight gain , most people aren’t as lucky . Hugley has had weight issues his entire life and without the ability to move he’s gained weight , big surprise . Once his knee is better he can continue on the regimen that led to his weight loss . Injuring his knee and not playing to someone whose life revolves around his sport can also be somewhat depressing . Who knows what’s going on in his head . So continue bashing the kid if that makes you feel better .
both you and Pitt Pharm are correct. Weight issues are medically simple. If you consume more calories than you burn, you gain weight. On the other hand many people consume more calories than they burn and then obviously gain weight and become overweight. That can be corrected by exercise so that one burns more calories and has a deficit in calories and weight decreases. The difference between overweight people and normal/thin people is that a thin person has the ability to control their eating while overweight people do not have that ability. The ability to control your eating is not easy. Thin people do not have to think about stopping eating. It seems to come naturally. On the other hand, people with weight issues have difficulty controlling their eating. That is the problem! Not easy to control that without lots of self discipline.

Last edited:
You don’t get it do you? It is that simple.

Total calories. IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT YOU EAT..

ITS HOW MANY CALORIES YOU INGEST.

3500 calories is a pound. You really need to research before posting

If John Needs to eat 7000 calories to maintain his weight, he can’t eat 9000. Doesn’t matter if he’s sitting on the couch all day or not. It’s quite simple science. Well, not simple enough for you.
Listen I understand the concept of weight gain , it’s no secret . Millions of people have issues some based on factors like genetics and insulin resistance and others based on overeating and lack of exercise . The kid has had issues all his life and now that his activity is limited he’s gaining weight , how surprising ! He knows , his coach knows , his trainers know and I’d bet as his knee improves so will his weight issues . If he was totally healthy and putting on weight that’s one thing , but being injured it’s another .

Why aren’t people harping on the twins for being so skinny aren’t they consuming enough calories , after all isn’t always calories in vs calories out ? I bet they eat like a horse and can’t put on any weight . It’s just not black and white .

Listen I understand the concept of weight gain , it’s no secret . Millions of people have issues some based on factors like genetics and insulin resistance and others based on overeating and lack of exercise . The kid has had issues all his life and now that his activity is limited he’s gaining weight , how surprising ! He knows , his coach knows , his trainers know and I’d bet as his knee improves so will his weight issues . If he was totally healthy and putting on weight that’s one thing , but being injured it’s another .

Why aren’t people harping on the twins for being so skinny aren’t they consuming enough calories , after all isn’t always calories in vs calories out ? I bet they eat like a horse and can’t put on any weight . It’s just not black and white .
That is correct! Calories in vs calories out. If they want to gain weight, they will need to consume more calories. More important for the twins is that they get stronger, not just gain weight.

Last edited:

Because the twins are projects who weren’t expected to contribute much .
They are skilled but their lack of muscle and strength is limiting their potential .
They will get stronger .

You’re literally word salading now .

Weight isn’t John’s problem- attitude and effort are .
You want to use his “conditioning” as an excuse that he’s a lazy player ?

The twins play with effort and energy .
That’s the difference - silly goose

That is correct! Calories in vs calories out. If they want to gain weight, they will need to consume more calories. More important or the twins is that they get stronger, not just gain weight.
And you think they don’t eat and lift !

Because the twins are projects who weren’t expected to contribute much .
They are skilled but their lack of muscle and strength is limiting their potential .
They will get stronger .

You’re literally word salading now .

Weight isn’t John’s problem- attitude and effort are .
You want to use his “conditioning” as an excuse that he’s a lazy player ?

The twins play with effort and energy .
That’s the difference - silly goose
Your assuming he’s lazy , I’d bet there aren’t many on this board that could play 5 minutes of college ball without being totally winded .

The guys trying to play a game that you have to have two good legs and he has one good one and one bad .one . The game also requires an incredible amount of running endurance and you don’t get that in a swimming pool . Being in good shape and being in shape to play a game at that level is two different things . It’s obvious he’s not in game shape , but it seems to allude you and others that the quality of his play is being limited by his knee and his physical condition which was due to injury not laziness .

Now had he come back in Sept 20-30lbs overweight and out of shape I’m with you , but that’s not the case .

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Your assuming he’s lazy , I’d bet there aren’t many on this board that could play 5 minutes of college ball without being totally winded .

The guys trying to play a game that you have to have two good legs and he has one good one and one bad .one . The game also requires an incredible amount of running endurance and you don’t get that in a swimming pool . Being in good shape and being in shape to play a game at that level is two different things . It’s obvious he’s not in game shape , but it seems to allude you and others that the quality of his play is being limited by his knee and his physical condition which was due to injury not laziness .

Now had he come back in Sept 20-30lbs overweight and out of shape I’m with you , but that’s not the case .
I’m not assuming
I’m watching him

He is 20-30 pounds over weight .
Because it’s pretty clear his lack of effort to box out or defend is a similar trait to gaining so much week while having a banged up knee

The game also requires an incredible amount of running endurance and you don’t get that in a swimming pool.. uh, the swimming pool keeps you from becoming the size of a semi truck such that you have the endurance to run. I'm thinking his injury was such that he could have done some stationary bike time also. Cardio is cardio... Me thinks Michael Phelps would run these guys off the floor endurance wise...He can't shoot, pass or rebound for schitt and his defense sucks but that is not we are talking about here now are we...

The game also requires an incredible amount of running endurance and you don’t get that in a swimming pool.. uh, the swimming pool keeps you from becoming the size of a semi truck such that you have the endurance to run. I'm thinking his injury was such that he could have done some stationary bike time also. Cardio is cardio... Me thinks Michael Phelps would run these guys off the floor endurance wise...He can't shoot, pass or rebound for schitt and his defense sucks but that is not we are talking about here now are we...
To your point - it doesn’t take a lot of conditioning to box out.
He floats around the 3 point time on offense not because he’s catching his breath- but because he doesn’t want to work in the post for position
It’s easier to shoot threes than use he size and strength advantage in the post

I guess you’ll just have to wreck your knee and swim for awhile and we’ll see how you respond to running up and down the court 4-6 weeks after the injury at the pace of D1 ball . I’m sure it won’t effect any of your lateral quickness or jumping abilities either . It’s also a good thing that having an injured leg don’t effect your shot either .

Your right they should revoke his scholarship for getting injured . If you don’t recognize his importance to Pitt bb there’s no hope for you .

I just hope recruits don’t read these boards with loyal fans like those attacking Hugley combined with the 500 fans that attend games why would you come play for Pitt .

To your point - it doesn’t take a lot of conditioning to box out.
He floats around the 3 point time on offense not because he’s catching his breath- but because he doesn’t want to work in the post for position
It’s easier to shoot threes than use he size and strength advantage in the post
Your right bench him and hope he transfers out , why would he want to play for Pitt with fans like yourself.

And you think they don’t eat and lift !
I am sure they do both, but gaining weight for some people is difficult. To gain weight just eat more, but as I said, weight is not the issue for them. Getting stronger is the issue.

I am sure they do both, but gaining weight for some people is difficult. To gain weight just eat more, but as I said, weight is not the issue for them. Getting stronger is the issue.

Yeah, you don't want them to just gain weight. You want them to get stronger at the same time.

Which is hard to do in season.

Hugley will be in shape when full ACC play starts.

I think we all understand the simplicity of losing/gaining weight. It's not that simple though. There are strings attached to eating, not eating, working out, not working out, etc. Depression, anxiety, eating disorder, underlying medical issues, etc. We're not robots that say "ok, eat 2500 calories and burn 3000 calories". That's not how life works, and quite frankly it's utterly ignorant to suggest it's easy to lose/gain weight. It's not. Not in the world we live in.

Reactions: gilligan 3

I think we all understand the simplicity of losing/gaining weight. It's not that simple though. There are strings attached to eating, not eating, working out, not working out, etc. Depression, anxiety, eating disorder, underlying medical issues, etc. We're not robots that say "ok, eat 2500 calories and burn 3000 calories". That's not how life works, and quite frankly it's utterly ignorant to suggest it's easy to lose/gain weight. It's not. Not in the world we live in.
But it is actually that easy
Eat less , exercise (cardio) more .
Strength training to build muscle to raise base metobolic rate .

As I said - it’s not about weight with Hugley - it’s about effort

Weight is a function of body type and muscle build .
I’ve always weighed more than most . I don’t even step on a scale anymore - I care about my fitness and strength

Last edited:
I guess you’ll just have to wreck your knee and swim for awhile and we’ll see how you respond to running up and down the court 4-6 weeks after the injury at the pace of D1 ball . I’m sure it won’t effect any of your lateral quickness or jumping abilities either . It’s also a good thing that having an injured leg don’t effect your shot either .

Your right they should revoke his scholarship for getting injured . If you don’t recognize his importance to Pitt bb there’s no hope for you .

I just hope recruits don’t read these boards with loyal fans like those attacking Hugley combined with the 500 fans that attend games why would you come play for Pitt .
I guess you’ll just have to wreck your knee.. As I said above, been there done that to a much much greater extent than Hugley's injury. Not D1 but probably cost me D2. Unlike Hugley lost weight prior to rehab. Even a naïve high school senior at the time I knew I had to curtail my caloric intake.

Your right they should revoke his scholarship for getting injured ... Please point out where I said or even implied that? If not, maybe an apology is in order.

Last edited:
I

It is that easy. It’s even easier for a Div 1 athlete with access to nutritionists at one of the best Universities in the USA.

You know what’s even easier? Being lazy. That’s what Hugley is. Off the court and On the court. Time to quit making excuses for people and holding them accountable.

Hugley still can workout. Nothing stopping him. I had my ACL reconstructed 2x by FU. You don’t lay in bed for 3 months. John had a minor knee injury, no reason for him to explode into the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man

Reactions: FireballZ
all these guys who have never played a sport in their lives with these opinions lmao

Yes, only people who “played a sport” can have opinions on their favorite teams…

Message boards would cease to exist

not what I said. These guys that come in here and try to compare their surgeries and diets to a 21 year old that's 6'9" 280 is funny. Some little old guy that's 5'8" says he had his ACL repaired and lost weight. As if that's even a remotely applicable comparison.

Reactions: gilligan 3
not what I said. These guys that come in here and try to compare their surgeries and diets to a 21 year old that's 6'9" 280 is funny. Some little old guy that's 5'8" says he had his ACL repaired and lost weight. As if that's even a remotely applicable comparison.
Technically these guys who are taller, with a training table, access to world class physicians, training methods, rehab methods should have a better shot at it, no? I don’t know the particulars of his injury, but if it wasn’t season ending, I tend to side with @PittPharm2002 here. When Levance hurt his fault senior year, another person prone to weight gain, he worked his ass off to get back in shape and on court as soon as possible. It just seems odd he’s not even close to good shape. He couldn’t do bench press in that time? Shoulder press? Anything to maintain at least a frame?

Technically these guys who are taller, with a training table, access to world class physicians, training methods, rehab methods should have a better shot at it, no? I don’t know the particulars of his injury, but if it wasn’t season ending, I tend to side with @PittPharm2002 here. When Levance hurt his fault senior year, another person prone to weight gain, he worked his ass off to get back in shape and on court as soon as possible. It just seems odd he’s not even close to good shape. He couldn’t do bench press in that time? Shoulder press? Anything to maintain at least a frame?

the more we comment the more silly it becomes. Nobody saw him before the injury. Nobody knows what he did during his rehab. Nobody knows what the staff and doctors told him while he was injured.

I have every right to assume he was doing everything he could. You have every right to assume he wasn't. Until we know more, it's pointless to keep arguing about it.

what I do know is that he was going to be a liability on defense regardless of his weight. He was never going to be a rim protector. As long as he gets his conditioning figured out, idc what weight he plays at.

the more we comment the more silly it becomes. Nobody saw him before the injury. Nobody knows what he did during his rehab. Nobody knows what the staff and doctors told him while he was injured.

I have every right to assume he was doing everything he could. You have every right to assume he wasn't. Until we know more, it's pointless to keep arguing about it.

what I do know is that he was going to be a liability on defense regardless of his weight. He was never going to be a rim protector. As long as he gets his conditioning figured out, idc what weight he plays at.
He doesn’t need to protect the rim
He needs to box out and rebound .
He needs to work to get and hold defensive position to not give free runs at the rim .
He needs to be Chevy or Gary McGhee on defense , not Steve adams .
We all know he’s a below the rim player

We know his blocks will come only from weakside help defense/ and that’s totally fine .
He has good hands
He can deflect passes and get steals on less skilled bigs

Last edited:
Reactions: DIxonDisciple
ADVERTISEMENT