ADVERTISEMENT

Hyatt

Here's thing. There is no way Capel loses a player to SHU or Rutgers. His recruiting is so good, I question more is this kid good enough than can we close him? Under Dixon II and Stallings, we couldn't win many recruiting battles against medicore P5 programs like SHU.
He's top 150 and supposedly a very good wing shooter at 6'7. he has a lot more P6 offers than the ones you reference.

Not sure if you've looked at what's been on the roster the past few years, but yeah, I think he's probably "good enough" to play at Pitt. I mean, are you even serious with that?

"No way" Capel loses him to SHU or Rutgers? Really? You don't think he's factoring in an evaluation of the roster compositions of all of the teams he;s considering?

You could make a case that we have too many wings right now, but you can never have too much talent, no matter what. And lack of talent has been the single biggest problem with this program over the last several years.

If we have to play with 3-4 wings, a lead guard and rotate in a token post to get the best 5 on the floor, so be it. It has been done successfully before. The 88/89 Flyin' Illini team was the best example of that I can think of. Of course, we don't have that kind of talent, but the point remains.

Here's thing. There is no way Capel loses a player to SHU or Rutgers. His recruiting is so good, I question more is this kid good enough than can we close him? Under Dixon II and Stallings, we couldn't win many recruiting battles against medicore P5 programs like SHU.
He's top 150 and supposedly a very good wing shooter at 6'7. he has a lot more P6 offers than the ones you reference.

Not sure if you've looked at what's been on the roster the past few years, but yeah, I think he's probably "good enough" to play at Pitt. I mean, are you even serious with that?

"No way" Capel loses him to SHU or Rutgers? Really? You don't think he's factoring in an evaluation of the roster compositions of all of the teams he;s considering?

You could make a case that we have too many wings right now, but you can never have too much talent, no matter what. And lack of talent has been the single biggest problem with this program over the last several years.

If we have to play with 3-4 wings, a lead guard and rotate in a token post to get the best 5 on the floor, so be it. It has been done successfully before. The 88/89 Flyin' Illini team was the best example of that I can think of. Of course, we don't have that kind of talent, but the point remains.

No. He isn't losing a player to Rutgers. SHU? Maybe, but I highly highly doubt it.

I didn't mean to knock Hyatt. I'd take him. Just saying I would wonder if we were better off holding that scholarship for 2019. Amazing I can even think that now. Hyatt would have been a prized jewel of Stallings or Dixon II

No. He isn't losing a player to Rutgers. SHU? Maybe, but I highly highly doubt it.

I didn't mean to knock Hyatt. I'd take him. Just saying I would wonder if we were better off holding that scholarship for 2019. Amazing I can even think that now. Hyatt would have been a prized jewel of Stallings or Dixon II
A guy going to another school, even a lesser school, does not always mean a recruiting loss. If we are stacked at a position, and another school has more playing time, or is closer to home, many reasons. It can happen.

He’s too good not to take - H2P!

I will always remember that Illinois team. Kendall Gill was awesome. Battle was a scrapper.
I swear there was a rumor of the infamous Marcus Liberty rumor coming to pitt or transferring to Pitt. obviously, this never came true..

Last edited:
Reactions: DBpanther

Way back there was that 196r Johnny Wooden UCLA team without a big that won the National Championship Wooden's first). It starred Gail Goodrich, Walt Hazzard, Keith Erickson, etc. The center was 6-5 Fred Slaughter. They beat a Duke team with two 6-10's.

http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2016/12/16/the-1964-ucla-basketball-team-won-the-programs-first-of-many-national-championships/

I remember seeing him (Liberty) play at the Dapper Dan Classic at the Igloo...it was a big deal, wasn't he the National HS Player of the Year?

Shaq also played in the DD, but I believe it was one year later and if I remember correctly he was the MVP.

I swear there was a rumor of the infamous Marcus Liberty either coming to pitt or transferring to Pitt. obviously, this never came true..

Dixon II. Not as bad as Majors II, but I like the description. Good way to frame Dixon’s tenure. Dixon I and Dixon II. Dixon I had the benefit of Howland. Dixon II didn’t.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
A guy going to another school, even a lesser school, does not always mean a recruiting loss. If we are stacked at a position, and another school has more playing time, or is closer to home, many reasons. It can happen.

In the eyes of a 17 year old kid at the moment....SHU is not a lesser school.

Dixon II. Not as bad as Majors II, but I like the description. Good way to frame Dixon’s tenure. Dixon I and Dixon II. Dixon I had the benefit of Howland. Dixon II didn’t.
That’s silly.
Dixon 1 peaked 6 years into his tenure- which is a lifetime from Howland.
Then developed a whole different team with less talent to a Number 1 seed line two year later

If you can sell like Capel can and you can sell the ACC like Capel can, yes it is. The Big East is Villanova and 9 mediocre programs. The ACC is the Junior NBA, or at least how Capel sells it.

Reactions: Pittnerski
That’s silly.
Dixon 1 peaked 6 years into his tenure- which is a lifetime from Howland.
Then developed a whole different team with less talent to a Number 1 seed line two year later

And then didn't recruit well enough off of those 2 1 seeds in 3 years to become anything more than a bubble program, which is why I say the Dixon II era started in 2011-12

Agree. But it’s about the coach. And I gotta think most 17 year olds would pick playing for capel over just about anyone that’s not a HOF lock (coach k, boeheim, izzo, etc.)

Fun, fun team to watch. Nick Anderson was a beast, too. I remember the night Pitt beat Florida on USA Network, Illinois beat LSU, 127-100. I’ve never seen a video of that game either.
Was that the FL team that had a big goofy looking Center named Schintzius? He had a crazy looking mullet.

Yes. Dwayne. Dude was like 7’2”. Don’t think he ever did anything but he bounced around the NBA for a few years.

Sadly died of cancer not long ago at age 43. Almost did a decade in the NBA as a journeyman! Incredible hair.
dwayne-schintzius-death-leukemia-2012.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT