ADVERTISEMENT

I can not recall a time in Pgh sports

Las Panteras

All Conference
May 11, 2014
Where the collection of coaches have had this much criticism.

Tomlin: gets extended and hasnt one a playoff game in more than a minute

Shelton: this team should be better than they show and he has made some bonehead moves that have cost a few W's

Sullivan : rumors he was getting canned started to surface this past season and this years penguins will impress no one

Narduzzi: i dont need to expound.

Even Capel to some degree, if this team doesnt move forward.

Can anyone recall a time when the head coaches as a whole have been this dissapointing?

Shelton: this team should be better than they show and he has made some bonehead moves that have cost a few W's

Sullivan : rumors he was getting canned started to surface this past season and this years penguins will impress no one

Can anyone recall a time when the head coaches as a whole have been this dissapointing?
Yes.

Pretty sure all the “rumors” about Sullivan getting canned were from the disgruntled, spoiled fan base looking for a scapegoat. Really don’t think Dubas or Fenway has ever considered it.

Pretty sure all the “rumors” about Sullivan getting canned were from the disgruntled, spoiled fan base looking for a scapegoat. Really don’t think Dubas or Fenway has ever considered it.
I am not one of the ones that is on the "fire Sullivan" bandwagon, but are you happy they haven't won a playoff series in 7-8 years?

I have a bigger problem with Tomlin than I do Sullivan. At least Sullivan won 2 Stanley Cups

Tomlin and Sullivan are basically in the same situation and being kept for past success rather than current failures.

I'm not sure Shelton was ever a good manager and he is not the manager to lead the Pirates into the playoffs with this group of starting pitchers. A total failure in his first major test.

Narduzzi is what he is, but another bad year in this version of college football along with some of the things he says and patience will wear thin.

1985….
Steelers were 6 - 10
Pirates were 57 - 104
Pens were 25 - 51 - 5 in ‘84-85
Pitt Football went 5 - 5 - 1
Pitt Basketball was 15 - 14

Noll was the only one that lasted and he had plateaued.

1985….
Steelers were 6 - 10
Pirates were 57 - 104

Good call. Coincided nicely with the destruction of the steel industry in WPA too.

The 1980s.
We talked about this....but the difference between the 80's and now is significant.

1. R Stillers n'nat. Just removed from winning 4 Super Bowls in 6 years. And even though that was the worst draft history that decade since the 50's, they still made the AFC Champ game in 1985.

2. Succos. They won the World Series in 1979. LOL. Which we still can say this today. And they had an ownership that wanted to win, there wasn't such a disparity between payrolls, the Pirates were starting to get talent (Bonds, Bonilla, Van Slyke, Drabek, Smiley). The future was bright.

3. Pens. I mean Mario Lemieux was just starting out. They were accumulating their talent with guys like Coffey, Barrasso, Recchi, Stevens, the future was bright.

4. Pitt FB was preseason unanimous #1 in 1982. Started the decade 22-2 and three top 10 finishes. There wasn't again this divide among the haves and have nots. Pitt was still a national brand, landing top recruiting classes and even as late as 1989 was in the top 10 at one point.

5. Pitt BB was a national brand, landing top recruiting classes, including the #1 class I forget if it was 1987 or 1988. Everything was looking up. Except the coach sucked and couldn't win,

My point is now, is much much more dreadful overall than the 80's.

1985….
Steelers were 6 - 10
Pirates were 57 - 104

Yes but...............
The Pirates drafted Bonds. The Pens drafted Lemeiux. Pitt BB started to recruit ridiculously. Pitt FB still recruited at a high level.

We talked about this....but the difference between the 80's and now is significant.

1. R Stillers n'nat. Just removed from winning 4 Super Bowls in 6 years. And even though that was the worst draft history that decade since the 50's, they still made the AFC Champ game in 1985.

2. Succos. They won the World Series in 1979. LOL. Which we still can say this today. And they had an ownership that wanted to win, there wasn't such a disparity between payrolls, the Pirates were starting to get talent (Bonds, Bonilla, Van Slyke, Drabek, Smiley). The future was bright.

3. Pens. I mean Mario Lemieux was just starting out. They were accumulating their talent with guys like Coffey, Barrasso, Recchi, Stevens, the future was bright.

4. Pitt FB was preseason unanimous #1 in 1982. Started the decade 22-2 and three top 10 finishes. There wasn't again this divide among the haves and have nots. Pitt was still a national brand, landing top recruiting classes and even as late as 1989 was in the top 10 at one point.

5. Pitt BB was a national brand, landing top recruiting classes, including the #1 class I forget if it was 1987 or 1988. Everything was looking up. Except the coach sucked and couldn't win,

My point is now, is much much more dreadful overall than the 80's.
Yeah, I'd agree with all of that except the Pirates ownership wasn't regarded well back then. They did have what was regarded to be a pretty good minor league system, though. Pens were pretty irrelevant until Mario was drafted.

Yeah, I'd agree with all of that except the Pirates ownership wasn't regarded well back then. They did have what was regarded to be a pretty good minor league system, though. Pens were pretty irrelevant until Mario was drafted.

And they had Syd Thrift as GM, the man who resurrected Pirates baseball. And he proudly let everyone know that. But in typical Pirate fashion, he was fired.

Reactions: pittdan77
Imo in baseball, the difference between a good manager and a bad manager is 12 games. A good manager wins 6 games they shouldn't win. A bad manager loses 6 games they shouldn't.

I can't remember the details like I used too but Shelton lost at least 9 games that I know.

It wasn't....but.....say in 1984 and 85, they had the 13th and 15th highest payrolls. And there wasn't like the Yankees were spending $100 million and the Pirates $10 million. The Yankees were spending $15 million to the Pirates $10 million. The free agent explosion really started in the 90's as we saw with Bonds, Bonilla, Drabek etc....

A good example of this, when the Pirates ripped it down to the studs, and started bringing up the Bonillas and Bonds, Rhoden was traded for Drabek and other young pitchers, Tony Pena was traded for Van Slyke and Spanky, they fell to 26th (last) in payroll. But what was different then vs now, when those guys matured and traded for guys like Zane Smith, in 1991 the Pirates has the 12th highest payroll in 1992 the Pirates had the 6th highest payroll. So when truly it was time to go for it, they did. What is funny, you know who had the highest payroll then??? The Oakland A's.

Reactions: Celtsfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT