ADVERTISEMENT

I cracked the code

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
College football rights fees have skyrocketed. The ACC has forever been stuck in a below market ESPN deal. Reports are ND wants $75 million per year to televise their home games. With reports that the Big Ten will be getting $100 million per year per team, doing some quick and dirty math, that means a high quality college football game is worth about $10 million.

Lets say the ACC adds 10 teams. That adds an inventory of 40 conference games and 30 non-conference games plus basketball. On the open market, lets say 70 ACC games are worth $7 million per game. That's half a billion rounding up. In seeing reports that NBC wants shoulder programming for ND, what if ESPN allowed the ACC to go to market for their expanded 70 game + basketball inventory and NBC won it to do ACC/ND doubleheaders plus games on Peacock and USA after Premier League football. Man U/Liverpool would be good lead in for Pitt/GT.

Using my numbers, take a half billion from the new package and divide it evenly among the 24 ACC teams. That's $21 million per year per team on top of what the teams are already getting, but of course you now have to divide the former share by 24 but you can now charge $1.25 per cable/streaming provider in Washington, Oregon, Bay Area, Arizona, Colorado, and other markets. There's 30 million to 40 million people in new markets so a huge opportunity to sell ACCN.

ACC North
Pitt
BC
Syr
Lou
UVa
VT
UNC
Duke

ACC South
NC St
Wake
Clem
GT
FSU
Miami
OK St
TT (maybe OSU + TT can get ACCN in Dallas with their many alums there)

ACC West
Kansas (for KC and basketball which has great value)
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Cal
Stanford
Oregon
Washington

College football rights fees have skyrocketed. The ACC has forever been stuck in a below market ESPN deal. Reports are ND wants $75 million per year to televise their home games. With reports that the Big Ten will be getting $100 million per year per team, doing some quick and dirty math, that means a high quality college football game is worth about $10 million.

Lets say the ACC adds 10 teams. That adds an inventory of 40 conference games and 30 non-conference games plus basketball. On the open market, lets say 70 ACC games are worth $7 million per game. That's half a billion rounding up. In seeing reports that NBC wants shoulder programming for ND, what if ESPN allowed the ACC to go to market for their expanded 70 game + basketball inventory and NBC won it to do ACC/ND doubleheaders plus games on Peacock and USA after Premier League football. Man U/Liverpool would be good lead in for Pitt/GT.

Using my numbers, take a half billion from the new package and divide it evenly among the 24 ACC teams. That's $21 million per year per team on top of what the teams are already getting, but of course you now have to divide the former share by 24 but you can now charge $1.25 per cable/streaming provider in Washington, Oregon, Bay Area, Arizona, Colorado, and other markets. There's 30 million to 40 million people in new markets so a huge opportunity to sell ACCN.

ACC North
Pitt
BC
Syr
Lou
UVa
VT
UNC
Duke

ACC South
NC St
Wake
Clem
GT
FSU
Miami
OK St

ACC West
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Cal
Stanford
Oregon
Washington
So what would be the distribution per team per year with 24 teams and new TV right?

ESPN doesn't announce their TV deal numbers anymore so I don't know exactly. Also, not sure how households in the new markets subscribe to cable/streaming providers who have will pick up ACCN.
So you have this extensive analysis ...... take it to the next level and predict the payout per team please? I am curious as you have piqued my interest.

So you have this extensive analysis ...... take it to the next level and predict the payout per team please? I am curious as you have piqued my interest.
Found some numbers. The ACC reported $400 million in tv revenue for 20-21 (helped by ND though). Divided by 15 is $27 million per team. Keep in mind this was without Comcast, however.

Lets divided that figure by my 24 team league. That's $17 million per year per team plus the $21 million from the new inventory from the 10 new teams. Plus Comcast money. Plus ACCN money in the new markets. Comcast has 19 million subscribers. Lets say half have ACCN in their package. That’s $120 million per year. Divided by 24 teams is another $5 million per team. So, you'd probably be north of $50 million with the new markets. Maybe $60 million. Would anyone turn down a P2 invite? No. But at least the teams can compete with the P2.

Last edited:
64f740eb1e5b2c403edd93d7574e8ffcf26ba9a0.gif

Found some numbers. The ACC reported $400 million in tv revenue for 20-21 (helped by ND though). Divided by 15 is $27 million per team. Keep in mind this was without Comcast, however.

Lets divided that figure by my 24 team league. That's $17 million per year per team plus the $21 million from the new inventory from the 10 new teams. Plus Comcast money. Plus ACCN money in the new markets. Comcast has 19 million subscribers. Lets say half have ACCN in their package. That’s $120 million per year. Divided by 24 teams is another $5 million per team. So, you'd probably be north of $50 million with the new markets. Maybe $60 million. Would anyone turn down a P2 invite? No. But at least the teams can compete with the P2.
So 60M per team per year by adding 10 teams? See with those markets added it sounds like it would be in the 80M range but what do I know!

So 60M per team per year by adding 10 teams? See with those markets added it sounds like it would be in the 80M range but what do I know!
There's also more teams to share with. I don't see $80 million/year. I do think that is semi-realistic to reach $70 million/year with the right mix of teams.

Getting that 10:30 game on ACCN every week is huge. Could also do an 11PM Thursday nighter on ACCN after the NFL game is over.

Lol. On planet earth- it would be closer to $60 mil for every 2 teams. Brilliant business plan by SMF 🙄.

FXg9NmrWQAITgcf

Lol. On planet earth- it would be closer to $60 mil for every 2 teams. Brilliant business plan by SMF 🙄.

FXg9NmrWQAITgcf
You have no idea what you're talking about. You're out of your league on this. That chart shows the ACC stuck in its horrible TV deal whereas everyone else goes to market which is why the garbage ass patchwork Big 12 will be getting more than the ACC. If the ACC added a bunch of good markets and ESPN allowed them to take a "B package" to market (and there is no indication ESPN would be this nice), that package is worth a lot. See my numbers.

You have no idea what you're talking about. You're out of your league on this. That chart shows the ACC stuck in its horrible TV deal whereas everyone else goes to market which is why the garbage ass patchwork Big 12 will be getting more than the ACC. If the ACC added a bunch of good markets and ESPN allowed them to take a "B package" to market (and there is no indication ESPN would be this nice), that package is worth a lot. See my numbers.

Your "numbers" are idiotic. If you just read your post above- you admit that's its idiotic.

Your "numbers" are idiotic. If you just read your post above- you admit that's its idiotic.
SMF Network, in anticipation of college football being restructured and headed up by an entirely new governing body, is getting its ducks in a row to be able to bid against ESPN and Fox Sports.

SMF has his best people working on this and crunching the numbers…
360_F_493139023_7G9eMyAOFLmq0Apq2uyzdIMxxJOR72no.jpg

ACC North
Pitt
BC
Syr
Lou
UVa
VT
UNC
Duke

ACC South
NC St
Wake
Clem
GT
FSU
Miami
OK St

ACC West
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Cal
Stanford
Oregon
Washington
Joe Rochefort USN was a code breaker that led to the victory at Midway in 1942. In comparison you are not a code breaker, some question if you can break an egg let alone a code.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT