ADVERTISEMENT

I just love watching the Tennessee offense in action and...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
How I wish that Pat Narduzzi could find an OC from the Josh Heupel coaching tree and bring him to Pitt.
I just love watching them move the ball down the field. They are one of the top offensive teams in the country and look even better when they quicken the tempo of their play calling. They make most college offenses look like they are running in glue. What they did today against an NFL talent laden Alabama defense was one of the most impressive things we will see this year in college football.
Most teams and this does include Pitt, would have just taken a knee and played for OT, Josh Heupel and his team did not. As a football fan, watching them gain 45 yards on just 2 plays in 15 seconds, was incredible.
This is why tomorrow afternoon, the Tennessee football program will find itself ranked as one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the country.
As a football fan, I would like to congratulate Josh Heupel and his program on their success this year. As a fan of the Pitt football program, I am hoping that one day, all Pitt football fans will get to see that exciting, high scoring type of offense being played by the Pitt Panthers football program.
Until then, lets win some more ACC games, win the Coastal and beat Clemson to win back-to-back ACC Championships.
H2P!!!

How I wish that Pat Narduzzi could find an OC from the Josh Heupel coaching tree and bring him to Pitt.
I just love watching them move the ball down the field. They are one of the top offensive teams in the country and look even better when they quicken the tempo of their play calling. They make most college offenses look like they are running in glue. What they did today against an NFL talent laden Alabama defense was one of the most impressive things we will see this year in college football.
Most teams and this does include Pitt, would have just taken a knee and played for OT, Josh Heupel and his team did not. As a football fan, watching them gain 45 yards on just 2 plays in 15 seconds, was incredible.
This is why tomorrow afternoon, the Tennessee football program will find itself ranked as one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the country.
As a football fan, I would like to congratulate Josh Heupel and his program on their success this year. As a fan of the Pitt football program, I am hoping that one day, all Pitt football fans will get to see that exciting, high scoring type of offense being played by the Pitt Panthers football program.
Until then, lets win some more ACC games, win the Coastal and beat Clemson to win back-to-back ACC Championships.
H2P!!!
I have been screaming about wanting this type of OC, since Narduzzi was hired, but he is part of the Jurassic Age when it comes to Modern Day Offensive College Football. Cignetti just being the latest of his OC Hires to run an Old Pro Style of Offense. This is why, unlike a lot of others here, I did not criticize Addison for transferring to U$C, as he was around for Spring Practice and saw what type of Offense Cignetti was installing. Of Course, I also do not blame Addison, as he also is playing with a Great QB with Williams, who is much better than Slovis. Also, he got a sweet NIL Deal with United Airlines. Anyone here who I had read in past posts, wishing bad things for Addison, are hypocrites, as I bet if he was their Son or Brother, they would also have backed him in transferring to U$C for the reasons I mentioned here. I am thankful that he helped PITT win the ACC last year, and also provided them with another Belitnikoff Award Winner. I hope he recovers quickly from his injury in the Utah Game and has a Great NFL Career(hopefully for my Raiders, although I am hoping they can draft Caleb Williams in 2024, if they are close to having a Top 3 Pick, although they probably have enough Talent to not finish near the bottom of the NFL next year, and was just too stupid to not mark Kelce the 4 Times he scored in the Red Zone last Monday Nite versus the Chiefs).

The main reason I wanted PITT to run an Uptempo RPO Offense, is that it also helps negate the Lower Average of Recruits they can get(mostly 3 Stars) compared to the Big Money Programs. You just need to get the right QB, who can efficiently run this type of Offense, and Hooker does it well for Tennessee, who still recruits better than PITT, if not yet at the level of Alabama, Georgia and tOSU. Now Michigan recruits well enough on the Offensive Line to run the ball well like they did against Ped State today, but PITT is never going to recruit those Dominant Offensive Linemen ever again, as the 1980s are not coming back.

Of course, PITT did try this Uptempo RPO Offense by hiring Godd Graham, which had me excited, although was not happy about hiring a Coach bringing Bible Study Group Sessions into the Program like he did at Tulsa, as I am Agnostic, and did not like the idea of Players maybe feeling pressured to participate in fear of losing Playing Time(if Talent is equal among Players), as despite having the Cathedral of Learning, PITT is not a Religious School.

The Football Problem with Graham though is he came into a Program where he did not have such of s QB(and other Players), to implement his System right away, and he bolted after only 1 Year(apparently having conflict with the AD, Pederson, like others had within the Athletic Department). Of course, Graham failed at Arizona State and Hawaii, so apparently he was not a Good Head Coach anyways, but that does not mean an Uptempo RPO System cannot work, even if having Narduzzi as the Head Coach, and having him adapt and find a Good OC to implement that type of Offense.

One Side Note-I was surprised that Whipple had Pickett run a few RPO Plays last year, as figured he was stuck in his Old Ways of just running a Pro Style Offense, so although not Uptempo, at least he implemented a few RPO Plays to keep Defenses Off Balance at times. I was still glad Whipple left, but just was not happy that Narduzzi did not take the opportunity to bring the PITT Offense into the Current Times, and seek out an OC, who as you suggested, runs an Offense similar to Heupel. Honestly, I thought Tennessee was going to beat PITT by 18-25 Points this year, and surprised that PITT did a decent job against their Offense, as in the game last year at Tennessee, if their Starting QB(Milton?) would not have overthrown 3 Wide Open Receivers in the 1st Quarter, it would have been a long day and most likely a loss. I recall when PITT hired Narduzzi and he stayed at Michigan State to coach their Defense in their Bowl Game, that Baylor using an Uptempo RPO Offense put up a lot of Points in that game, which had me concerned that PITT was just hiring another FAT 10 Stone Age Football Coach, although think that Michigan State did somehow made a comeback to win that Bowl Game.

Even the Nictator after complaining about the Uptempo Offenses around 2012 and wanted to try and have the Rules changed(think it was Mississippi being the last SEC Team to beat Bama 2 consecutive years with the Nictator as the HC, and they ran an Uptempo RPO Offense), as Bama could no longer win 17-10 type Games, so the Nictator finally adapted and figured out if you can’t beat them, then join them(I wish Narduzzi would also see the light). He hired Kiffin, who actually had no background running an Uptempo RPO Offense, but he learned and implemented it, and Bama started recruiting Top QBs and WRs. Bama really beat themselves yesterday versus Tennessee though because they had 17 Penalties, which they still almost overcame, but they missed a Long FG late in the 4th Quarter, providing Tennessee about 30 Seconds left to get into FG Range with 1 TO they still had available to use. Still 17 Penalties is the most ever by a Bama Team, since the Nictator started coaching there(2007?).

Last edited:
The only way the up-tempo offense really helps your team is if your defense is good enough to overcome when that offense isn’t clicking and they’re going three and out in less than 20 seconds lol. The up-tempo offense sounds good but at some point in time when they meet a team that can stop them and they can score by running the football Those teams will always lose the teams that can’t control the line of scrimmage with the running game and control the clock. You can run a pro style off fence while still throwing the ball. You can run a run n shoot. You can run west coast offense Andy Reid style and still have the same good results on offense without killing your defense with all those three and outs

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSeldomSeenKid
How much longer are we going to throw kudos at the Nictator for "adapting offensively" and admit that his defense flat out sucks compared to what it once was?

Not to take anything away from Tennessee, but they aren't that good. That was the same Vols team Pitt took to OT. How many times do we need to see Alabama's defense simply wilt at crunch time, especially on the road? How many mediocre performances does it take?

Also, can we dispel the myth that this type of offense somehow enables you to put bad teams away and results in fewer close games. Since last year, Bama has had close games against TN, Texas A&M (twice) Auburn, Arkansas, LSU, Texas and Florida. They simply struggle to put mediocre teams away. Nobody fears Alabama.

I have been screaming about wanting this type of OC, since Narduzzi was hired, but he is part of the Jurassic Age when it comes to Modern Day Offensive College Football. Cignetti just being the latest of his OC Hires to run an Old Pro Style of Offense. This is why, unlike a lot of others here, I did not criticize Addison for transferring to U$C, as he was around for Spring Practice and saw what type of Offense Cignetti was installing. Of Course, I also do not blame Addison, as he also is playing with a Great QB with Williams, who is much better than Slovis. Also, he got a sweet NIL Deal with United Airlines. Anyone here who I had read in past posts, wishing bad things for Addison, are hypocrites, as I bet if he was their Son or Brother, they would also have backed him in transferring to U$C for the reasons I mentioned here. I am thankful that he helped PITT win the ACC last year, and also provided them with another Belitnikoff Award Winner. I hope he recovers quickly from his injury in the Utah Game and has a Great NFL Career(hopefully for my Raiders, although I am hoping they can draft Caleb Williams in 2024, if they are close to having a Top 3 Pick, although they probably have enough Talent to not finish near the bottom of the NFL next year, and was just too stupid to not mark Kelce the 4 Times he scored in the Red Zone last Monday Nite versus the Chiefs).

The main reason I wanted PITT to run an Uptempo RPO Offense, is that it also helps negate the Lower Average of Recruits they can get(mostly 3 Stars) compared to the Big Money Programs. You just need to get the right QB, who can efficiently run this type of Offense, and Hooker does it well for Tennessee, who still recruits better than PITT, if not yet at the level of Alabama, Georgia and tOSU. Now Michigan recruits well enough on the Offensive Line to run the ball well like they did against Ped State today, but PITT is never going to recruit those Dominant Offensive Linemen ever again, as the 1980s are not coming back.

Of course, PITT did try this Uptempo RPO Offense by hiring Godd Graham, which had me excited, although was not happy about hiring a Coach bringing Bible Study Group Sessions into the Program like he did at Tulsa, as I am Agnostic, and did not like the idea of Players maybe feeling pressured to participate in fear of losing Playing Time(if Talent is equal among Players), as despite having the Cathedral of Learning, PITT is not a Religious School.

The Football Problem with Graham though is he came into a Program where he did not have such of s QB(and other Players), to implement his System right away, and he bolted after only 1 Year(apparently having conflict with the AD, Pederson, like others had within the Athletic Department). Of course, Graham failed at Arizona State and Hawaii, so apparently he was not a Good Head Coach anyways, but that does not mean an Uptempo RPO System cannot work, even if having Narduzzi as the Head Coach, and having him adapt and find a Good OC to implement that type of Offense.

One Side Note-I was surprised that Whipple had Pickett run a few RPO Plays last year, as figured he was stuck in his Old Ways of just running a Pro Style Offense, so although not Uptempo, at least he implemented a few RPO Plays to keep Defenses Off Balance at times. I was still glad Whipple left, but just was not happy that Narduzzi did not take the opportunity to bring the PITT Offense into the Current Times, and seek out an OC, who as you suggested, runs an Offense similar to Heupel. Honestly, I thought Tennessee was going to beat PITT by 18-25 Points this year, and surprised that PITT did a decent job against their Offense, as in the game last year at Tennessee, if their Starting QB(Milton?) would not have overthrown 3 Wide Open Receivers in the 1st Quarter, it would have been a long day and most likely a loss. I recall when PITT hired Narduzzi and he stayed at Michigan State to coach their Defense in their Bowl Game, that Baylor using an Uptempo RPO Offense put up a lot of Points in that game, which had me concerned that PITT was just hiring another FAT 10 Stone Age Football Coach, although think that Michigan State did somehow made a comeback to win that Bowl Game.

Even the Nictator after completing about the Uptempo Offenses around 2012 and wanted to try and have the Rules changed(think it was Mississippi being the last SEC Team to beat Bama with the Nictator as the HC, and they ran an Uptempo RPO Offense), as Bama could no longer win 17-10 type Games, so the Nictator finally adapted and figured out if you can’t beat them, then join them(I wish Narduzzi would also see the light). He hired Kiffin, who actually had no background running an Uptempo RPO Offense, but he learned and implemented it, and Bama started recruiting Top QBs and WRs. Bama really beat themselves yesterday versus Tennessee though because they had 17 Penalties, which they still almost overcame, but they missed a Long FG late in the 4th Quarter, providing Tennessee about 30 Seconds left to get into FG Range with 1 TO they still had available to use. Still 17 Penalties is the most ever by a Bama Team, since the Nictator started coaching there(2007?).
Quite a long post, but for the most part, I agree with you 100%.

Reactions: TheSeldomSeenKid
How much longer are we going to throw kudos at the Nictator for "adapting offensively" and admit that his defense flat out sucks compared to what it once was?

Not to take anything away from Tennessee, but they aren't that good. That was the same Vols team Pitt took to OT. How many times do we need to see Alabama's defense simply wilt at crunch time, especially on the road? How many mediocre performances does it take?

Also, can we dispel the myth that this type of offense somehow enables you to put bad teams away and results in fewer close games. Since last year, Bama has had close games against TN, Texas A&M (twice) Auburn, Arkansas, LSU, Texas and Florida. They simply struggle to put mediocre teams away. Nobody fears Alabama.
Maybe his defense isn't as good because of his offense.

Reactions: TD_6082
H2P!!!
I don't know that there is a Josh Heupel coaching tree. His offense is basically the Art Briles offense from Baylor. It's pretty much the same thing Dino Babers tried to implement his first 2 or 3 years at Syracuse. Did you enjoy the 76-61 game at Heinz a few years back?

We got a old school Big Ten coach who hates modern offense. He said it. He does not hide from it. When he’s dabbed his toe into it, even when it delivered his two best seasons, he recoiled from it and doubled down with Chuck Knox Ball the following year each time.

We got stability from him, which I don’t dimininish… and we got those two very good seasons when he had a modern offense (and a QB who ran it well, finally so in Pickett’s case), and then we got… the rest of the seasons. I don’t know if an old dog is going to change at this point. We’d have to replace him, which is typically a disaster.

I am not a Tennessee fan, but I do respect what they have done this year. You stated that, Tennessee isn't that good. That is laughable. All they have done so far this season was to go 6-0. They have beaten 4 ranked teams (2 of which were on the road), scoring 34, 38, 40 and 52 points in those wins. Their other two victories came over unranked MAC schools Ball State and Akron. In those two games they put up 59 and 63 points. What more does a team have to do to make TD_6082 say they are a good team??? You mentioned the Pitt win, is it just possible that at that time the Pitt football team was deserving of that #17 ranking?? I think that Pitt WAS that good and that loss was HUGE for the 2022 Pitt football team.
Lastly, being a fan, I want to be entertained while watching a sporting event. That is why I absolutely HATE the sport of soccer. Everything in that sport, especially in the EPL, is done to slow the game down and keep the scoring low. I want to see "action" when I watch college football. It is one of the reasons why I prefer it to the NFL. I watched that Tennessee game yesterday because I knew that both of those schools would put up at least 40+ points on the board. Could really care less about either program, but I thoroughly enjoyed the teams moving the ball up and down the field on each other. Alabama is a very GOOD team and yesterday, the uptempo Tennessee offense was just a little better.

I don't know that there is a Josh Heupel coaching tree. His offense is basically the Art Briles offense from Baylor. It's pretty much the same thing Dino Babers tried to implement his first 2 or 3 years at Syracuse. Did you enjoy the 76-61 game at Heinz a few years back?
Every coach has a "coaching tree". Just a matter of which direction you choose to look at it from. Did I enjoy the 76-61 game at Heinz a few years back? Absolutely!!!

We got a old school Big Ten coach who hates modern offense. He said it. He does not hide from it. When he’s dabbed his toe into it, even when it delivered his two best seasons, he recoiled from it and doubled down with Chuck Knox Ball the following year each time.

We got stability from him, which I don’t dimininish… and we got those two very good seasons when he had a modern offense (and a QB who ran it well, finally so in Pickett’s case), and then we got… the rest of the seasons. I don’t know if an old dog is going to change at this point. We’d have to replace him, which is typically a disaster.
Look, I do not want Pitt to get rid of Pat Narduzzi. He is exactly what the Pitt football program needs to head its program. He is well respected by his players, their parents and other coaches in the sport. That being said, if he wants the Pitt football program to become a national power as he has indicated, he MUST bring in an OC who runs an offense that will not only win, but win with style as well. Until college football changes their playoff format, every team needs to not only win but win in a way that gains the votes of pollsters from around the country. Running an offense that is from the 1980's isn't going to help him or hi steam achieve those goals.

I am not a Tennessee fan, but I do respect what they have done this year. You stated that, Tennessee isn't that good. That is laughable. All they have done so far this season was to go 6-0. They have beaten 4 ranked teams (2 of which were on the road), scoring 34, 38, 40 and 52 points in those wins. Their other two victories came over unranked MAC schools Ball State and Akron. In those two games they put up 59 and 63 points. What more does a team have to do to make TD_6082 say they are a good team??? You mentioned the Pitt win, is it just possible that at that time the Pitt football team was deserving of that #17 ranking?? I think that Pitt WAS that good and that loss was HUGE for the 2022 Pitt football team.
Lastly, being a fan, I want to be entertained while watching a sporting event. That is why I absolutely HATE the sport of soccer. Everything in that sport, especially in the EPL, is done to slow the game down and keep the scoring low. I want to see "action" when I watch college football. It is one of the reasons why I prefer it to the NFL. I watched that Tennessee game yesterday because I knew that both of those schools would put up at least 40+ points on the board. Could really care less about either program, but I thoroughly enjoyed the teams moving the ball up and down the field on each other. Alabama is a very GOOD team and yesterday, the uptempo Tennessee offense was just a little better.
How many of those 4 ranked teams are ranked today?

FWIW, I don't put any stock in rankings. I don't care where they are ranked. I think they are a very flawed team. I also think the same thing about every opponent they have faced. If Pitt or Alabama either one could kick a FG, they would have 2 losses. Bama is a shell of their former self.

Look, I do not want Pitt to get rid of Pat Narduzzi. He is exactly what the Pitt football program needs to head its program. He is well respected by his players, their parents and other coaches in the sport. That being said, if he wants the Pitt football program to become a national power as he has indicated, he MUST bring in an OC who runs an offense that will not only win, but win with style as well. Until college football changes their playoff format, every team needs to not only win but win in a way that gains the votes of pollsters from around the country. Running an offense that is from the 1980's isn't going to help him or hi steam achieve those goals.
Pitt doesn't run an offense from the 80s. They run a modern college offense just like everybody else. Unfortunately, Pitt just has no talent at WR and a QB that is slow of foot.

BTW, did you see both Tennessee & Alabama attempt any old school I formation yesterday? Yes. Yes you did.

All I know is that we've had two very good offenses under Narduzzi and they were our two best teams.

Conversely, our 2019 defense had Hamlin and an AA version of Ford, Pinnock and Mathis, Dane Jackson, Twyman, Jones (one of the highest pressure rates in the country), etc. And we sucked. 8-5 like 2016, but it was against a much weaker schedule.

And our 2020 defense had Hamlin, solid linebackers, Kancey, two AA's at DE, Pinnock and Mathis, etc. and we went 6-5.

Bottom line: Obviously you want a good defense, but you HAVE to have a good offense to win. It's just more important. There will be times when the other offense is firing on all cylinders regardless of how good your defense is. You have to be able to keep up. Plus I think there is something to the psychology of getting up on a team early and often and making them either press and do stupid things or go into a shell and submit.

Bottom line: Obviously you want a good defense, but you HAVE to have a good offense to win. It's just more important. There will be times when the other offense is firing on all cylinders regardless of how good your defense is. You have to be able to keep up. Plus I think there is something to the psychology of getting up on a team early and often and making them either press and do stupid things or go into a shell and submit.

true, but a good defense, heck even a serviceable defense in 2016 and we have a rematch with Clemson in Charlotte. And it was an excellent offense in 2016

Last edited:

Even the Nictator after completing about the Uptempo Offenses around 2012 and wanted to try and have the Rules changed(think it was Mississippi being the last SEC Team to beat Bama with the Nictator as the HC, and they ran an Uptempo RPO Offense), as Bama could no longer win 17-10 type Games, so the Nictator finally adapted and figured out if you can’t beat them, then join them(I wish Narduzzi would also see the light). He hired Kiffin, who actually had no background running an Uptempo RPO Offense, but he learned and implemented it, and Bama started recruiting Top QBs and WRs. Bama really beat themselves yesterday versus Tennessee though because they had 17 Penalties, which they still almost overcame, but they missed a Long FG late in the 4th Quarter, providing Tennessee about 30 Seconds left to get into FG Range with 1 TO they still had available to use. Still 17 Penalties is the most ever by a Bama Team, since the Nictator started coaching there(2007?).
The style of offense isn't as important as the plays you run and the overall scheme. A OC needs to design plays that are difficult for defenses to cover. That being said Its much harder to do in a traditional I formation type of team vs a spread. A west coast offense like Walt's and whipples is fine but you can get a vastly different outcomes out of that offensive philosophy
Whipples offense or Canadas both were different but effective. Just as effective as TN. Its more the actual plays and scheme, flow within the offense than if they are running 2 wr or 5.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
Tennessee is firing on all cylinders now, kind of like how Canada did in 2016 here. Heuppel walked into a situation where players were suited for his offense, like Canada. Will be interesting to see if that 6 million dollar QB recruit lives up to the hype and keeps things humming after Hooker leaves.

And Hooker is something else, kind of like Pickett, who you knew had what it takes to be special but kept waiting for the light bulb to go on and it finally did.

Reactions: FireballZ
true, but a good defense, heck even a serviceable defense in 2016 and we have a rematch with Clemson in Charlotte. And it was an excellent offense in 2016

No doubt you want good units on both sides. But our 2019 team was almost the exact inverse of our 2016 team, and there's no way in hell the former would have ever knocked off two top 5 teams.

I also tend to think we could have masked some of our 2016 defense's flaws if we used guys a little smarter. Maddox and Lewis looked better in the NFL than they did on that team. I think we go at least 9-3 or 10-2 if Narduzzi would have relented a bit on the scheme. Although that's a different topic altogether.

Tennessee is firing on all cylinders now, kind of like how Canada did in 2016 here. Heuppel walked into a situation where players were suited for his offense, like Canada. Will be interesting to see if that 6 million dollar QB recruit lives up to the hype and keeps things humming after Hooker leaves.

And Hooker is something else, kind of like Pickett, who you knew had what it takes to be special but kept waiting for the light bulb to go on and it finally did.

And what's funny about Hooker is he fell right into Huepel's lap. Hooker approached Tennessee about a week before the entire Pruitt staff got pushed out. Chris Weinke convinced Hooker and his family to stick it out, even though they had no idea who the new coach or AD would be. When Huepel got the job, he tried to bring in his own QB, Joe Milton. Sometimes, it's just dumb luck.

Personally think it’ll be very interesting to see the sustainability of Tennessee’s Heupel offense when Hendon Hooker leaves.

Nobody else is getting game reps at QB as the Vols want to get to the CFP. Hooker has been a godsend for them. His improvement, especially as a passer and in terms of his accuracy, has been outstanding.

Something that was very impressive yesterday is that Hooker was able to accomplish what he did without Cedric Tillman available. Tillman caught 9 passes for 162 yards and a TD (the winner in OT) vs Pitt. Yesterday Hooker hooked up with Jalen Hyatt for 5 td’s and 207 yards on 6 receptions. Hyatt caught 11 vs Pitt but only for a total of 73 yards, 0 td’s and a long reception of just 10 yards. He was the Vols possession receiver in the game here at Pitt.

Maybe Heupel has another guy up his sleeve to insert at QB? But that O is VERY QB-centric and TN will need some exceptional talent to step in at QB if they are to have a seamless transition upon Hooker’s departure. Because Hooker has the talent AND the experience running that ultra-fast system. This year so far, HH’s production has been off the charts.

Personally think it’ll be very interesting to see the sustainability of Tennessee’s Heupel offense when Hendon Hooker leaves.

Nobody else is getting game reps at QB as the Vols want to get to the CFP. Hooker has been a godsend for them. His improvement, especially as a passer and in terms of his accuracy, has been outstanding.

Something that was very impressive yesterday is that Hooker was able to accomplish what he did without Cedric Tillman available. Tillman caught 9 passes for 162 yards and a TD (the winner in OT) vs Pitt. Yesterday Hooker hooked up with Jalen Hyatt for 5 td’s and 207 yards on 6 receptions. Hyatt caught 11 vs Pitt but only for a total of 73 yards, 0 td’s and a long reception of just 10 yards. He was the Vols possession receiver in the game here at Pitt.

Maybe Heupel has another guy up his sleeve to insert at QB? But that O is VERY QB-centric and TN will need some exceptional talent to step in at QB if they are to have a seamless transition upon Hooker’s departure. Because Hooker has the talent AND the experience running that ultra-fast system. This year so far, HH’s production has been off the charts.

They have the #3 player in the country coming in to play QB. Bought him with NIL money.

I'm sure they'll also bring in a transfer to compete with him.

The only way the up-tempo offense really helps your team is if your defense is good enough to overcome when that offense isn’t clicking and they’re going three and out in less than 20 seconds lol. The up-tempo offense sounds good but at some point in time when they meet a team that can stop them and they can score by running the football Those teams will always lose the teams that can’t control the line of scrimmage with the running game and control the clock. You can run a pro style off fence while still throwing the ball. You can run a run n shoot. You can run west coast offense Andy Reid style and still have the same good results on offense without killing your defense with all those three and outs
This is true about controlling the LOS matters the most, as when PITT upset WVU 13-9 in 2007, they did it by their Defensive Linemen getting in the Backfield soon after the snap and disrupted Pat White just before he could make decisions on the RPO. The prior 2 years when WVU posted 45 Points in each Game, the PITT Defensive Line was Passive in read and react instead of aggressively attacking. Not sure if Rhodes or Wanny deserved the credit for finally making the adjustment in the 2007 Game. Oh and I forgot to thank McAfee for missing 2 FGs in that 2007 upset, but he seems to be doing great now with his Sports Broadcasting Business.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
Maybe I am forgetting already, but Whipple used tempo at times, didn't he?
You might be correct now that I think about it, at least a few times when he did not stupidly have Pickett running to the Sideline in between Plays. I know College Age Players are in Great Condition, but all of that extra running will start to effect a Player’s Maximum Ability late in each Half. There is a reason that NHL Players are at their best in 45-50 Seconds Shift, as the longer they are on the ice past that amount of time, the less energy they have.

For more years than I can count, Tennessee has always been able to recruit speed. When you have receivers who can run and catch the ball, it gives the offense a lot more flexibility.

Think back to a year ago, when Pitt’s offense was explosive; Kenny had receivers who were getting open and catching the ball - and we beat Tennessee.

The problem isn't necessarily the style of offense, it's being more aggressively ve when warranted using the style you have. Cignetti should have been fired on the spot for his GT gameplan. He was conservative and refused to change. GT was able to stop it, and Pitt lost the game because of the coaches being stubborn.

The problem isn't necessarily the style of offense, it's being more aggressively ve when warranted using the style you have. Cignetti should have been fired on the spot for his GT gameplan. He was conservative and refused to change. GT was able to stop it, and Pitt lost the game because of the coaches being stubborn.

Conservative by calling 7 pass plays out of the first 9 offensive plays of the game?

Pitt called 75 plays on a rainy and windy night against GT. 47 were pass plays, 27 were runs, and one was a kneel down.

Don't let facts get in the way of your imagination.

Pitt called 75 plays on a rainy and windy night against GT. 47 were pass plays, 27 were runs, and one was a kneel down.

Don't let facts get in the way of your imagination.

It's not about pass vs. run. On first and second down, they tended to line up in that bunch formation without having the WRs out wide. The GT defense kept putting 8-9 guys in the box, and then Pitt would either try to run it up the middle (fail) or throw it 7 yards to the middle of the field, where those 8-9 guys lined up 2 seconds prior (fail). But I guess Cignetti thought he was being aggressive when throwing out of that formation?

Then on 3rd and 10 they would line up with WRs out wide and there was zero mystery. Why not continue using the big formation on 3rd and 10? Could it be because it's not designed to gain much yardage on most teams? It's modern college football. Offenses need to be a threat to ALL teams, even against those like Alabama (see Tennessee). Instead, we seem to be requiring the OL to dominate their guys. Yeah, sometimes it works. But it's not what we need against everyone, especially when they are stopping it.

There needs to be a threat of taking it to the house on most downs. Pitt wasn't doing that for the majority of the game on first and second down against GT. It was predictable and probably a defensive coordinator's dream.

[/QUOTE]
It's not about pass vs. run. On first and second down, they tended to line up in that bunch formation without having the WRs out wide. The GT defense kept putting 8-9 guys in the box, and then Pitt would either try to run it up the middle (fail) or throw it 7 yards to the middle of the field, where those 8-9 guys lined up 2 seconds prior (fail). But I guess Cignetti thought he was being aggressive when throwing out of that formation?

Then on 3rd and 10 they would line up with WRs out wide and there was zero mystery. Why not continue using the big formation on 3rd and 10? Could it be because it's not designed to gain much yardage on most teams? It's modern college football. Offenses need to be a threat to ALL teams, even against those like Alabama (see Tennessee). Instead, we seem to be requiring the OL to dominate their guys. Yeah, sometimes it works. But it's not what we need against everyone, especially when they are stopping it.

There needs to be a threat of taking it to the house on most downs. Pitt wasn't doing that for the majority of the game on first and second down against GT. It was predictable and probably a defensive coordinator's dream.

Taking it to the house most downs? 😂

Other than Izzy, Pitt doesn't have a threat of taking it to the house. Wayne & Mumpfield have no speed. Means is the only receiver on the roster that would possibly be a home run threat, but he's a project guy at WR.

Reactions: Jeffburgh

You still don't know the difference between a bunch and Big formation.

Saying the same thing over and over again doesn't make it true.

I concur with the first part of your post, but I take exception on your Soccer Take, as I love The Beautiful Game(Football). Also, what is the EPL doing to slow down the Sport more than others European Leagues? Since, you hate the Sport, surprised you are even watching the EPL.

I find Baseball boring, so I do not even watch it. I grew up an Os Fan though as a kid when Cal Ripken Jr was playing, but just lost interest in the Sport. I did attend a few Dodgers Games when living in LA, as was sitting in the Left Field Area about 10-20 rows up, and one of the Dodgers’ Coaches would come to the Outfield Area about an hour before the game and hit a few balls to us.

Also on your last sentence, I do not think Bama lost the Game because Tennessee’s Uptempo Offense was a little better, but more so because Bama had 17 Penalties, which was very undisciplined for a Team coached by the Nictator(although a few years ago they had 15 Penalties in a Game, so it has happened before receiving). I am sure his Assistant Coaches are going to have a miserable week, as the Nictator seems tougher on his Assistant Coaches than his Players, which is probably why they move on eventually(although a few get HC Positions).

Last edited:
Reactions: ChooChoo Panther
Conservative by calling 7 pass plays out of the first 9 offensive plays of the game?
It is not only the conservative play calling of that game, it is the type of passes that were thrown. Way to many short little passes to the backs and wide receivers. God forbid, should Kedon Slovis be allowed to throw a pass down the middle of the field that covers more then 10 yards in the air.

I concur, as I do not want PITT to get rid of Narduzzi as he seems to be getting better as a HC, and we had to live with a few growing pains. Also, Narduzzi wants to be here. I doubt PITT can find or pay a better HC, and even if they did find one, that person would bolt soon as a Big Money Program would come calling.

I was ticked off when Narduzzi wasted a Great Effort by PITT in Creepy Valley in 2019, when he made the Bone Headed decision to try a FG down 7 Points with a little over 4 Minutes left in the 4th Quarter, when he tried to explain PITT needed 2 scores to still win the Game, while not taking into account you can get that second score in OT. The Players, especially the Defense, played great that day, but Narduzzi seemed to have had his brain infected by the Ghost of Conservative Paterknew being in that stadium(or maybe his brain was infected by 4th Quarter Franklin based on how he he had his own brain fart plays called in the 4th Quarters that cost his Team a few potential Wins-my favorite being Milkdud inventing the QB Sneak from the Shotgun Position 😂).

Last edited:
I concur with the first part of your post, but I take exception on your Soccer Take, as I love The Beautiful Game(Football). Also, what is the EPL doing to slow down the Sport more than others European Leagues? Since, you hate the Sport, surprised you are even watching the EPL.

I find Baseball boring, so I do not even watch it. I grew up an Os Fan though as a kid when Cal Ripken Jr was playing, but just lost interest in the Sport. I did attend a few Dodgers Games when living in LA, as was sitting in the Left Field Area about 10-20 rows up, and one of the Dodgers’ Coaches would come to the Outfield Area and hit a few balls to us.

Also on your last sentence, I do not think Bama lost the Game because Tennessee’s Uptempo Offense was a little better, but more so because Bama had 17 Penalties, which was very undisciplined for a Team coached by the Nictator(although a few years ago they had 15 Penalties in a Game, so it has happened before receiving. I am sure his Assistant Coaches are going to have a miserable week, as the Nictator seems tougher on his Assistant Coaches than his Players, which is probably why they move on eventually(although a few get HC Positions).
In regards to the sport of soccer...I watch the EPL on the weekends because most of the time there are no other live sporting events on tv other then that. I am also pretty sure that the other european leagues leagues play the same way. I hate the 1-0 games and the 0-0 games drive me up a tree. I've watched games where there were only 3 total shots on goals for the entire game both teams combined. The constant diving by players and don't even get me started with those freaking goaltenders. I love how upset the players get when they are given a yellow card. They remind me of how my children reacted when they were being punished. As slow as baseball is, soccer is much worse to me.

In regards to the sport of soccer...I watch the EPL on the weekends because most of the time there are no other live sporting events on tv other then that. I am also pretty sure that the other european leagues leagues play the same way. I hate the 1-0 games and the 0-0 games drive me up a tree. I've watched games where there were only 3 total shots on goals for the entire game both teams combined. The constant diving by players and don't even get me started with those freaking goaltenders. I love how upset the players get when they are given a yellow card. They remind me of how my children reacted when they were being punished. As slow as baseball is, soccer is much worse to me.
[IMG]

You still don't know the difference between a bunch and Big formation.

Saying the same thing over and over again doesn't make it true.

Doesn't matter. When everyone is lined up near the ball, and no WRs are out wide, it probably isn't going to work. But if it doesn't work, at least try something else. What's the point of brining in the top ranked transfer QB if you are going to do that?

On first and second down, they tended to line up in that bunch formation without having the WRs out wide. The GT defense kept putting 8-9 guys in the box, and then Pitt would either try to run it up the middle (fail) or throw it 7 yards to the middle of the field, where those 8-9 guys lined up 2 seconds prior (fail). But I guess Cignetti thought he was being aggressive when throwing out of that formation?
Throwing the ball out of condensed formations can be extremely aggressive and effective. Having an 8-9 man box means nothing vs condensed formations. Based off the personnel you can have a minimum of 3 vertical threats with a maximum of 4. Those 3-4 DB's cannot fall asleep and just play the run. If they do, it can be 6 in a blink of an eye. Go and watch some Army or Navy football. Their receivers are very pedestrian but they usually have out of the ordinary YPC #'s especially when they're a good team. Their YPC goes through the roof when they operate out of those condensed formations. This strategy is very stressful for a DC.

By utilizing those condensed formations -

1. We get more #'s at the point of attack then the defense has to defend.
2. We get to play cat and mouse vs the secondary. They want to make tackles to negate the #'s advantage? Cool - we can let them do that and take shots.
3. You can get WR's blocking safeties instead of corners. Corners don't like tackling 215lb RB's all night long.

From what I see our problem is not scheme at all. It's purely a talent situation. We aren't great on the OL. Slovis is very inconsistent. The WR's don't really scare anyone.

One of things that goes unnoticed is Cigs usually requires everyone to know the scheme. If you're an X, you better know Z. If you're an Y you better know fullback. This creates the multiplicity that DC's hate because you aren't relying on personnel and showing your hand. I bet if you asked Dorin Dickerson about Cigs' strengths it's his ability to do this. However, it takes time to learn. You don't have to run as much scheme because you can get matchups. This is pro-style offense. You have a slow SLB? When Cigs is rolling, he's going to find a way to exploit that. He can call a familiar play but get an offensive player matched up with that kid. Canada was good at this too. Anyone wonder why he had the big fullback lined up at WR split wide vs. Clemson? Because he was getting his playmakers on lesser athletic players. Good stuff indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT