ADVERTISEMENT

I like how our defense is shaping up

President Stache

Heisman Candidate
Dec 4, 2010
With the game Hamlin had, and Whitehead being such a stud. With Ford and the slew of other young dbacks we will have a very solid group next year.

The Dline looks to be developing nicely as well, they are all so young that this year is tough, but next year I see promise.

Just need some linebackers to step up. I havent liked the size of the LBs being recruited the last few years, I think we need a 6'4 250 lbs mlb type, but I think we have some tweener DE types that can be used off an edge type, then use the zeise type guys as passing LBs.

Its amazing watching Pitt over the last decade or 2 and seeing recruiting shape up along the lines of whoever is coach... chryst, offensive, Narduzzi, defensively.

Reactions: Sarge25
With the game Hamlin had, and Whitehead being such a stud. With Ford and the slew of other young dbacks we will have a very solid group next year.

The Dline looks to be developing nicely as well, they are all so young that this year is tough, but next year I see promise.

Just need some linebackers to step up. I havent liked the size of the LBs being recruited the last few years, I think we need a 6'4 250 lbs mlb type, but I think we have some tweener DE types that can be used off an edge type, then use the zeise type guys as passing LBs.

Its amazing watching Pitt over the last decade or 2 and seeing recruiting shape up along the lines of whoever is coach... chryst, offensive, Narduzzi, defensively.

Are you serious?

They have a lot of young guys on defense. They played okay for 3 out of the 4 games. The Okie St. game was pathetic. Whitehead is their best player, so we will see how they progress the rest of the way.

They have a lot of young guys on defense. They played okay for 3 out of the 4 games. The Okie St. game was pathetic. Whitehead is their best player, so we will see how they progress the rest of the way.

OSU romped us. No question about it. Definitely looks better than last year, and last year we had some good pass rushers which we dont have right now.

You are joking.

Next year we lose Whitehead. Hamlin has been constantly hurt. Who knows what will happen with Ford. Every other defensive back has some ability but outside of Garner and Jackson have shown nothing.

All of our linebackers that have played aren't D1 P5 level except maybe Brightwell. We have Pine and Pugh who may not even stay as a LB.

I think Watts and Camp could develop and be good. Weaver looks like he has potential. But we do not have any size, depth or real quality in the interior of the D line. My god Herndon has made his 49th position switch and is back playing on our D line. And Kam Carter won't last past this season.

And to add to all of this is that our defensive scheme and lack of successful adjustments have been awful.

We did get 4 fumbles but 3 were unforced. And if they didn't give us three gifts, GA Tech would have put up near 50 on us without hardly throwing a pass.

No way Whitehead comes back next year.

If he has an average year, then he would be wise to come back. He has a lot of bad tape from last year, and isn't a freak with measurables.
He is probably one strike away from a full year suspension with failed tests. Lucky he only got 3 games. If he stays he either stops doing illegal stuff or prays he doesn't get caught again. I still think he is top 2-3 round pick now for next year at worst.

Reactions: Jpripper88
If he has an average year, then he would be wise to come back. He has a lot of bad tape from last year, and isn't a freak with measurables.
He is probably one strike away from a full year suspension with failed tests. Lucky he only got 3 games. If he stays he either stops doing illegal stuff or prays he doesn't get caught again. I still think he is top 2-3 round pick now for next year at worst.

Right. One more failed test and its a season suspension. Not worth risking it to come back.

Reactions: rockypanther

So do our opponents.

By year three with chryst, we were at least seeing signs that Chryst's offense was starting to come together.

We are seeing absolutely nothing of the sort with narduzzi.

First, fans almost always overrate their teams players. Look how many great players have fallen into the 3rd or 4th round. Then how many of them had off the field issues? Whitehead had a very good FR year but wasn't much above average last year. Right now he is probably a 5th or 6th rounder. but he could easily move up to 3rd or so with a good season. The off the field stuff will almost guarantee's he isn't a first rounder and probably not a 2nd. Basically if he has a great JR year he probably could come out and be a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Anything short of that he is probably better off coming back and playing a whole year at a high level which would really improve his draft stock.

Break it down and explain to us in detail by position group what you have seen so far that leads you to think we will be much better next year?

Cause he's the eternal optimist and making any sort of guess what next year is shaping up to be is rediculous. He won't say we suck so he has to look for some positive spin. How about this figure out next week next year seems like 5 years from now after this horrendous start. I guess GT gashing us for 10 yards a pop is promising. I honestly can't imagine walking around so oblivious to what actually is.

Cause he's the eternal optimist and making any sort of guess what next year is shaping up to be is rediculous. He won't say we suck so he has to look for some positive spin. How about this figure out next week next year seems like 5 years from now after this horrendous start. I guess GT gashing us for 10 yards a pop is promising. I honestly can't imagine walking around so oblivious to what actually is.
And he still hasn't replied to my post asking him for details.

He won't I'm sure. But he'll attack you for not being a true fan sooner or later cause you don't drink the blue koolaide. I can't imagine seeing one thing that would make think next year looks bright but hey it's his right to think whatever

Reactions: rockypanther
Break it down and explain to us in detail by position group what you have seen so far that leads you to think we will be much better next year?

I kinda did.

I dont have time for an in depth analysis, as I have a rather taxing job of my own. However, I am quite sure the fine people at PSN will be doing an article on this soon

Recruiting is the lifeblood of our program, we are on life support under Duzz.

Yeah the most disappointing thing under this coach has been the mediocre at best recruiting and just how bad we are defensively. It seems every year we have a decent offense or defense but never have both at once but this year we have bad both which is a recipe for a horrible season.

Cut the dramatics. They were ranked 29 two years ago, and 38 last year. Pitt is rarely going to have a Top 20 class.

Definitely, that has actually been the best thing about Narduzzi. We have had the best recruiting since Wannstedt, and got back into the discussion with many recruits. Plus, the facilities have been upgraded beyond belief in the past 3 years. Narduzzi saw this was the key weakness, and fixed it.

Cut the dramatics. They were ranked 29 two years ago, and 38 last year. Pitt is rarely going to have a Top 20 class.

Well that tells me they got little to nothing out of those classes or turned them into any momentum which to be consistently good on the field means you need to be consistently good at recruiting we have been mediocre most years and that's exactly what we've been for 30 years on the field. Agree top 20 classes won't be the norm but top 35 we should be and good coaching takes 3 star recruits and coaches them up.

Reactions: CCvNYC
Well that tells me they got little to nothing out of those classes or turned them into any momentum which to be consistently good on the field means you need to be consistently good at recruiting we have been mediocre most years and that's exactly what we've been for 30 years on the field. Agree top 20 classes won't be the norm but top 35 we should be and good coaching takes 3 star recruits and coaches them up.

Absolutely, because, you know most all mid 20 to upper 30 classes immediately make a team a national championship contender when they are freshmen.

By the way, WE BEAT CLEMSON last year with those recruits

The 2014 class was ranked 65. That was due to the coaching transition. How many Seniors do you think get drafted?

Who is to say some of our recruits don't get bumped up and we add a few more players?

Reactions: President Stache
Now you did it, Rice will get 24, they will claim we are back on track!

Or we may hold PSU to 300 yards, and you will say our defense got hammered.

Also, I know you are the same posters, but clearly this post says I like how it is shaping up, not I like the results of the first 4 games.

Yes Captain Smith, our maiden voyage shaping up quite nicely.

I'm not seeing improvement on defense, but I do see talent potential. We have a lot of young players getting their first reps this year, and they look like young rookies. But with a normal level of development (not some fantasy version) some of them will become pretty good players next year and beyond. If we had decent upper-classmen on D, these guys wouldn't be getting the minutes they're getting. So they're learning on the job and it shows, so the D isn't better yet. But their field time will help in '18 and '19.

Ask any senior who's playing if they are better now than when they were FR and sophs, and they will all say yes, and most will say they are so by a wide margin.

These young guys are making all kinds of mistakes, but I also see potential. Dane Jackson can be better than our current best CB of the past 3 years, Maddox. Hell, he may already be better now. The two true frosh could be good too; still very raw, but getting forced onto the field. Weaver looks like he is going to be a stud. Paris Ford won't even see the field until next year, and that kid has enormous potential.

Right. One more failed test and its a season suspension. Not worth risking it to come back.

Not saying he comes back but if he is a marginal prospect in the NFL's eyes with a history of failed drug tests, what do you think that does to his draft stock?

Is only option might be coming back if he don't get his head out of his $ss off the field.

ADVERTISEMENT