ADVERTISEMENT

I really dont like a divisionless ACC

Well if the ACC is dying, so is the Big 12, and PAC whatever.
College Football is dying, the sky is falling !!!!!!!!!!

Well if the ACC is dying, so is the Big 12, and PAC whatever.
College Football is dying, the sky is falling !!!!!!!!!!
If everyone is dying except the B1G and SEC, then no one is dying. They will just be a middle tier with FBS still attached and a separate championship from the CFP that will consist entirely of the 2 top conferences, which will eventually align with each other. Heck, if that happens, then someday there will be calls for the FBS champion to play the CFP winner and we'll start all over again.

Reactions: BreakingPitt
What's funny when the original ACC raid and expansion happened, the ACC split Miami and FSU. Clemson and VT. Figuring pretty much any year the ACC Champ game was going to have some version of those 4 fighting it out. Pitt has managed to play in as many ACC Championship games as Miami has. FSU dominated then fell off a cliff. Clemson took over for FSU. And VT has been no better than Pitt/UNC etc....

You know what is funny, for as much as Pitt had let down the Big East in football, it has actually been one of, maybe the most successful school to switch conferences. Who woulda thunk it?

I actually think we may have played in one more conference championship than Miami, which is all the more bewildering.

So since Miami skipped town, we tied for the Big East Championship twice, played a de facto Big East Championship Game, won the ACC once, and played for the ACC Championship another time.

Although if I'm being a realist... none of that Big East stuff counts. Still have played for one more ACC Title than them, though. It is astounding to think they've only won the Coastal once in the 17 years they've been in the division. No wonder they're pulling out the kitchen sink.

If everyone is dying except the B1G and SEC, then no one is dying. They will just be a middle tier with FBS still attached and a separate championship from the CFP that will consist entirely of the 2 top conferences, which will eventually align with each other. Heck, if that happens, then someday there will be calls for the FBS champion to play the CFP winner and we'll start all over again.
exactly my point.

That’s true to a degree. Although not everybody is okay with being cast away to the Island of Misfit toys.

And some of those programs will no longer be able to sustain themselves once tv renegotiates based on the misfit toy rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: pittdan77
That’s true to a degree. Although not everybody is okay with best cast away to the Island of Misfit toys.

And some of those programs will no longer be able to sustain themselves once tv renegotiates based on the misfit toy rate.
TV wants quality inventory to televise so that island probably isn't getting more than a G5 type deal. The other side of that is, TV has been paying a premium for 65 teams worth of content with two conferences getting the majority of that money. I can't imagine that 32 schools is enough content to get the same payback so it will be interesting to see where that number lands if we get there. And this is still very hypothetical because we don't know if a semi-pro league is even what the TV executives even want at the risk of alienating even 10% or more of the market.

I'd like to know the breakdown of what viewers watch? Do more people watch their own school/local team? Or THE VERY FANTASTICAL BAMA-BEST TEAMS?

If tOSU was playing Bama on ESPN, and they where ranked 1 and 2, and Pitt was playing YSU on ESPNU at the same time, what would you watch? I'd be 100000000% obsessed with every minute of the Pitt game.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
I'd like to know the breakdown of what viewers watch? Do more people watch their own school/local team? Or THE VERY FANTASTICAL BAMA-BEST TEAMS?

If tOSU was playing Bama on ESPN, and they where ranked 1 and 2, and Pitt was playing YSU on ESPNU at the same time, what would you watch? I'd be 100000000% obsessed with every minute of the Pitt game.
The two conferences that have the biggest TV contracts also have very large fan bases because they're bigger, state schools, for the most part. They also attract the most talent, again, for the most part. The answer probably lies somewhere in between.

The SEC would be doing it this year if the Big 12 would allow Tex and OU out immediately.

The ACC is a dying conference. It can’t follow the ACC format if it wants to have any chance to survive.
The truly sad thing is that ALL of these so called "Power 5 Conferences" are dying and these schools are all to dumb to realize it, ALL OF THEM!
The GREED that motivates them all is the true reason behind the demise coming their way.
The nonsense with this NIL stuff is going to accelerate the issue even quicker. Teams like Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, etc... have been working their way around the rules in place and manipulating them to their advantage. Now with schools like Deion Sanders and his Jackson State boosters being able to pry away a 5 star recruit from the SEC schools, only a matter of time until Nick Saban and those like him, start to lose their "mojo" and the recruits go elsewhere.
GREED will ruin it all.

TV wants quality inventory to televise so that island probably isn't getting more than a G5 type deal. The other side of that is, TV has been paying a premium for 65 teams worth of content with two conferences getting the majority of that money. I can't imagine that 32 schools is enough content to get the same payback so it will be interesting to see where that number lands if we get there. And this is still very hypothetical because we don't know if a semi-pro league is even what the TV executives even want at the risk of alienating even 10% or more of the market.

TV is behind the super conference consolidation. ESPN basically brokered the TX-OU deal. It’s why the Big 12 got so pissed at ESPN.

I have zero interest in a semi-pro league, and the majority of people feel the same. Viewership would plummet.

Even the highest level of college football is still mediocre football.

Same would happen to basketball.

why would that matter? Most people watch their team first. What would that prove?

TV is behind the super conference consolidation. ESPN basically brokered the TX-OU deal. It’s why the Big 12 got so pissed at ESPN.
Right. There is a part of me that kind of wonders if this is really sustainable for these schools. It's a lot of mouths to feed and I just don't know how Texas fans are going to feel about a longer climb out of the hole they're in. OU could become Nebraska. I don't know. It's all speculation but if there isn't much of a change at the top or at least a hint of parody, I don't know that it will work.

I have zero interest in a semi-pro league, and the majority of people feel the same. Viewership would plummet.

Even the highest level of college football is still mediocre football.

Same would happen to basketball.
I've wondered at how much of this is built on a model that includes a lot of speculation about what ESPN can build and a lot of assumptions about viewers wanting this. Personally, I don't have much interest in a semi-pro model and it's a big reason why so many leagues just pop up and fade quickly. It's not like the NFL is going to stand by and watch its revenue take a hit. There are only so many dollars available.

If only someone would invent this thing that you could connect to with your computer and search for information like that, and the information were readily available.

Man, what a world that would be!
You can't find that with Google? I tried, I doubt it's a question being asked. How about you genius?

If there was a super league, would you adopt one of those teams and watch their games or would you stick with minor league Pitt?

why would that matter? Most people watch their team first. What would that prove?
Sure, but I'm not watching TV 12 hours every Saturday, I usually only have room for ONE game, Even if that hypothetical matchup wasn't up against Pitt, I probably wouldn't watch it.

Right. There is a part of me that kind of wonders if this is really sustainable for these schools. It's a lot of mouths to feed and I just don't know how Texas fans are going to feel about a longer climb out of the hole they're in. OU could become Nebraska. I don't know. It's all speculation but if there isn't much of a change at the top or at least a hint of parody, I don't know that it will work.
OU has a recruiting base, Texas. Nebraska doesn't.

Sure, but I'm not watching TV 12 hours every Saturday, I usually only have room for ONE game, Even if that hypothetical matchup wasn't up against Pitt, I probably wouldn't watch it.

You spend way too much time stating why you aren’t the target audience for college football. We get it.

Sure. But you’re going to become those schools anyway if you get left out.

If you don’t have a seat at the grown up table when all of this is over, you’re going to be stuck at the little kids table.

You spend way too much time stating why you aren’t the target audience for college football. We get it.
What is the target audience? People who watch 3-4 games every Saturday? People who watch college teams they have no connection too? Like some Yinzer who dropped out of high school who refers to Bama as "we"? I still think the majority of college football fans still gravitate towards watching their own school whether alma mater or live locally. If there's this Super League and Pitt is not in it, are you going to be all into it? watching the games and following the league? I'm not, I'll watch Pitt like always.

UT's recruiting base is....Texas. Where was Nebraska getting their horses at in the 80's? Why doesn't WVU recruit well in the south anymore? Things change.
Nebraska was getting their players from Texas and California. They lost Texas when they moved to the Big 10. I've said before I think they'd be better off in the Pac 12. I read somewhere that more Nebraska alums live in California than any other state besides Nebraska.

As for Texas's recruiting base being Texas....yea, so?

What is the target audience? People who watch 3-4 games every Saturday? People who watch college teams they have no connection too? Like some Yinzer who dropped out of high school who refers to Bama as "we"? I still think the majority of college football fans still gravitate towards watching their own school whether alma mater or live locally. If there's this Super League and Pitt is not in it, are you going to be all into it? watching the games and following the league? I'm not, I'll watch Pitt like always.

Yes, lots of college football fans watch college football.

lots of casual sports fans put college football on.

Last edited:
Nebraska was getting their players from Texas and California. They lost Texas when they moved to the Big 10. I've said before I think they'd be better off in the Pac 12. I read somewhere that more Nebraska alums live in California than any other state besides Nebraska.

As for Texas's recruiting base being Texas....yea, so?

Nebraska wasn’t exactly reeling in top recruiting classes when they left for the Big 10.

In the end, these schools lost out on talent because the local schools went all in on football, which made the further away schools seem less desirable.

You want to really struggle to recruit? Be a further away school that’s now in a Tier II conference.

That’s why OU had to jump on the SEC bandwagon. Maybe they aren’t good in the SEC. But 10 years from now they’d be dead if they aren’t in the SEC.

Yes, lots of college football fans watch college football.

lots of casual sports fans out college football on.
I do too, I watch Pitt-every minute of every game, DVR it and often watch it twice, and these days there's like 5-6 games on all day, if I watch, I tend to watch anything but B1G or SEC. I usually never watch entire games other than Pitt anyways.

I don't think recruiting is really the problem for Nebraska. They recruit in the top 25ish almost every year, but they certainly don't perform to that level. And it's not like they're in the SEC West or Big Ten East where you can recruit 15th nationally and still be 4th in your own division. They probably recruit better than anyone in the Big Ten West almost annually.

Nebraska wasn’t exactly reeling in top recruiting classes when they left for the Big 10.

In the end, these schools lost out on talent because the local schools went all in on football, which made the further away schools seem less desirable.

You want to really struggle to recruit? Be a further away school that’s now in a Tier II conference.

That’s why OU had to jump on the SEC bandwagon. Maybe they aren’t good in the SEC. But 10 years from now they’d be dead if they aren’t in the SEC.
Nebraska was hurt by 2 things:

1. Coaching - this cant be overstated
2. TT, Baylor, and TCU taking football seriously. They were keeping kids home instead of going to Lincoln.

NIL represents a new life for Nebraska, however

I do too, I watch Pitt-every minute of every game, DVR it and often watch it twice, and these days there's like 5-6 games on all day, if I watch, I tend to watch anything but B1G or SEC. I usually never watch entire games other than Pitt anyways.

My guy, we get it. You aren’t the college football demographic.

I don't think recruiting is really the problem for Nebraska. They recruit in the top 25ish almost every year, but they certainly don't perform to that level. And it's not like they're in the SEC West or Big Ten East where you can recruit 15th nationally and still be 4th in your own division. They probably recruit better than anyone in the Big Ten West almost annually.

Yeah, coaching has been the killer for them.

Recruiting is a problem for them depending on what the expectation is for the fan base.

If it’s to be an elite program that competes for NCs? Then recruiting is a huge problem.

If it’s to make a bowl game and get destroyed by Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship game? Then recruiting is not a problem.

Yeah, coaching has been the killer for them.

Recruiting is a problem for them depending on what the expectation is for the fan base.

If it’s to be an elite program that competes for NCs? Then recruiting is a huge problem.

If it’s to make a bowl game and get destroyed by Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship game? Then recruiting is not a problem.

Well I would think they would be content with walking before they can run at this point. They haven't lost three or less games since 2003.

And I get why some fans would have an inflated perception of their potential. Hell, they probably had the best record in college football over a 40-year stretch from the early 60's to early 00's. We've seen Pitt fans evaluate the program through the lens of a run that lasted like 6 years, let alone 40.

But I think their goal right now should be putting themselves in the same conversation as Iowa and Wisconsin. That's pretty much the blueprint (and probably also the ceiling). No different from Pitt basketball, really. We're not going to be Duke again, but there's no reason why we have to be Rutgers.

My guy, we get it. You aren’t the college football demographic.
I want to learn from you oh wise one? What does this demographic watch? Who are they? I watch college football every week in the fall, but I'm not part of the demographic of watchers? Why not? Explain?

You can't find that with Google? I tried, I doubt it's a question being asked. How about you genius?

If there was a super league, would you adopt one of those teams and watch their games or would you stick with minor league Pitt?

There are sites on the web that list the television viewership numbers for nearly every single televised football game.

It is no surprise that you can't seem to find one.

Reactions: cashisking884
I want to learn from you oh wise one? What does this demographic watch? Who are they? I watch college football every week in the fall, but I'm not part of the demographic of watchers? Why not? Explain?

You’ve already explained it.

There are sites on the web that list the television viewership numbers for nearly every single televised football game.

It is no surprise that you can't seem to find one.
Ratings don't answer my question not even a little bit. Ratings tells you how many people watch, they don't tell you what % of those people are alumni, casual fans, fans of other schools, local, etc. I get it, you don't think that deeply.

Ratings don't answer my question not even a little bit. Ratings tells you how many people watch, they don't tell you what % of those people are alumni, casual fans, fans of other schools, local, etc. I get it, you don't think that deeply.
In all fairness, I don't know that it matters to the people paying for the games. Not saying you don't have a point but if you had that breakdown, what are you trying to understand?

In all fairness, I don't know that it matters to the people paying for the games. Not saying you don't have a point but if you had that breakdown, what are you trying to understand?
I'm trying to understand if people will just follow a super league like sheep, just because it exists? Like I said, I pretty much only watch Pitt games every week, there are no other games I have predetermined to sit and watch ever, I never watch those afternoon SEC games on CBS. If they break it off and have a Super League, I still will watch only Pitt. My Point is, will the rest of you adopt a super league team to follow and root for, will fans of the schools left out do that? College football always seemed like a thing where alma mater or local ties matter more than anything, will it now be like Pitt or Northwestern fans will suddenly refer to Bama as "we" instead of staying loyal to their school?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT