ADVERTISEMENT

I was a child of the 50’s and 60’s. What was your favorite snack?

Pitt1975

Junior
Gold Member
Oct 9, 2017
HHI
No fast food. Archaic I know. Supermarkets closed early.
Baked bean sandwich’s. Ketchup sandwich’s. Sardine sandwich’s?
Celery with creamed cheese. Jello with fruit. Jiffy steaks on white bread?
What was your favorite? Just opened a can of Bush’s bean and took a taste. Brought back memories.
Hope you guys have some weird favorites.

Reactions: rjjake
26f.jpg

H2P

Reactions: Pitt1975
What was your favorite? Just opened a can of Bush’s bean and took a taste. Brought back memories.

Remind me again why they're called the good old days?

I remember the big days was getting baseball or football cards, a Mountain Dew and a bag of Wise Onion Rings. That was a great afternoon. Living large. I haven't bought or had any of these in a couple of decades and wouldn't drink Mt Dew on a bet now.

Reactions: Parkview57
Chocolate no bake cookies - with peanut butter added. I LOVED those things. I'll bet I still would love them today.

Reactions: Saboteur
I used to toast bread, place a slice of American Cheese on it and pop it in the oven until the cheese started to brown.

Jello with fruit - I didn't like that at all as a kid. I remember when I was just a little guy asking my Mom if she would make my jello "empty" from now on, because I didn't like bananas in it.

Reactions: Pitt1975
Jello with fruit - I didn't like that at all as a kid. I remember when I was just a little guy asking my Mom if she would make my jello "empty" from now on, because I didn't like bananas in it.
My mom used those canned Mandarin oranges. Or fruit cocktail...

I was born in the mid 60's. So yeah, I am old (doesn't seem long ago but seems like forever). We were always somewhat of a foodie family, my parents would take us out to real restaurants, fast food was pizza, rarely McDonald's.

I do miss the neighborhood grocery/butcher shops. Hell, through the mid 70's, my neighborhood had like 3-4 within walking distance. And the meat then was fresher, not some mass factory delivered stuff. Plus I remember things like veal kidneys (which were quite good) and stuff like that real hot dogs with that snap skin and homemade kielbasa. I miss that.

But man, there were no of ethnic influences other than European (Italian, German, and the Eastern Euro countries). Food was really boring. Bread was really boring. Veggies were killed. Mush. Canned or frozen.

My mom was and is a fantastic cook, and thank god we didn't have alot of that crap that people served in the late 60's and 70's. Tune Noodle Casserole? I grew up Catholic, so Lenten things like Salmon cakes were (still are) staples. But so damn glad we never went here. Tuna salad for sandwiches and especially tuna melt sandwiches? Sure. Hamburger Helper? Thank god we didn't do this stuff.

But I can remember, and it my grandfather who got us hooked, when we would stay over, me, my brother and cousin, our favorite lunch was sardines in mustard sauce with crackers! Or Oyster Stew with canned oysters. Now, I love oysters, and I love fish, but I couldn't eat either of those things from my childhood now I don't think.

Popcorn, with a little bit of butter & salt. We had an electric popcorn popper that stirred the kernels and then you flipped it over and used the lid as the bowl.

I was born in the mid 60's. So yeah, I am old (doesn't seem long ago but seems like forever). We were always somewhat of a foodie family, my parents would take us out to real restaurants, fast food was pizza, rarely McDonald's.

I do miss the neighborhood grocery/butcher shops. Hell, through the mid 70's, my neighborhood had like 3-4 within walking distance. And the meat then was fresher, not some mass factory delivered stuff. Plus I remember things like veal kidneys (which were quite good) and stuff like that real hot dogs with that snap skin and homemade kielbasa. I miss that.

But man, there were no of ethnic influences other than European (Italian, German, and the Eastern Euro countries). Food was really boring. Bread was really boring. Veggies were killed. Mush. Canned or frozen.

My mom was and is a fantastic cook, and thank god we didn't have alot of that crap that people served in the late 60's and 70's. Tune Noodle Casserole? I grew up Catholic, so Lenten things like Salmon cakes were (still are) staples. But so damn glad we never went here. Tuna salad for sandwiches and especially tuna melt sandwiches? Sure. Hamburger Helper? Thank god we didn't do this stuff.

But I can remember, and it my grandfather who got us hooked, when we would stay over, me, my brother and cousin, our favorite lunch was sardines in mustard sauce with crackers! Or Oyster Stew with canned oysters. Now, I love oysters, and I love fish, but I couldn't eat either of those things from my childhood now I don't think.

Not sure where you live but there are plenty of butcher shops/slaughterhouses in the Pittsburgh area that make their own kielbasa and other meats, smoked and otherwise.

Chef Boyardee Pizza

Did anyone else’s Mom make angel food cakes

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Underwood Deviled Ham
Vienna Sausages
Chocolate Hunts Snack Pack (no dirty comments please.)
I remember my Underwood Deviled Ham sandwiches on white bread, with a slice of American cheese.

I just thought of dried beef in a white creamy sauce on toast.

I remember my Underwood Deviled Ham sandwiches on white bread, with a slice of American cheese.

I just thought of dried beef in a white creamy sauce on toast.
I remember my mom having these card parties. And she would make these dried beef sandwiches with like cheese whiz and relish. Sounds horrible, but as a kid they were your typical 70's type treat.

Bologna and ketchup sandwiches , birchbeer soda.
Dilly bars were a treat.

Peanut Butter and Scrambled Egg Sandwich

ADVERTISEMENT