ADVERTISEMENT

I was more excited for the Rhode Island game than this bowl

jivecat

Senior
Jul 5, 2001
This is the first time I am not very interested in a PITT bowl and outcome. Maybe the pollsters will look at our younger guys who play and determine if we are a top 25 team next year? I am trying to find a silver lining to this. It's a shame because if all the players were playing (for both teams), this would be a classic bowl. The NIL, transfer portal, border issue (in the Sun Bowls case), and players leaving early for the NFL has made bowl season a shell of what it used to be.

I’m the history of bowl games, no Sun Bowl game ever has, and never would have been, a “classic” bowl game.

perhaps "entertaining" would have been a better description. That being said, they are two good teams when at full strength.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
i've downplayed bowl games as much as anyone but i still am looking forward to it. Things im looking forward too:

Hammond getting some carries as main back.
The continued development of Hayes at DE and maybe even a N. Johnson sighting
The younger strong safeties with HIll opting out
Continued development of Kamara

Obviously we have a good grasp of what we have at OL and interior DL so it's not that im NOT excited to see them, just that i feel like we know what we have.

sadly, i could absolutely care less about the QB play outside of just rooting for the win. any good or bad play by patti is pretty much irrelevent since he'll be officially retired 3 hours after the game starts..

Reactions: caleco's
I’m the history of bowl games, no Sun Bowl game ever has, and never would have been, a “classic” bowl game.
This simply isn't true. It's like the 4th oldest bowl game and up until the 90s was one of maybe 5-10 bowls games available to every team in the country. It was and still is a big deal. It's the rare traditional bowl game that also has its own committee and TV contract and not owned by ESPN simply to fill up scheduling hours.

This is the first time I am not very interested in a PITT bowl and outcome. Maybe the pollsters will look at our younger guys who play and determine if we are a top 25 team next year? I am trying to find a silver lining to this. It's a shame because if all the players were playing (for both teams), this would be a classic bowl. The NIL, transfer portal, border issue (in the Sun Bowls case), and players leaving early for the NFL has made bowl season a shell of what it used to be.

I am more excited about this game than Rhode Island since that was a mid-season scrimmage. But I'm less excited about this game than the other 11 games.

I have to disagree on this one. I'm looking forward to seeing Patti play

Reactions: USN_Panther
If you listened to peaks interview this morning he thinks it's highly unlikely some of UCLA's key players including QB play the entire game. Perhaps this game turns into both teams seeing what they have for next year and pitt can speak one out. Why this game is important is the possibility of 9-4 with a win against a ranked opponent placing pitt back into the top 25 which I do think is important. But I do understand being slightly underwhelmed by having all of these opt outs including patti. If patti was sticking around for next year that would be something to look at.

Reactions: VA+changed
If you listened to peaks interview this morning he thinks it's highly unlikely some of UCLA's key players including QB play the entire game. Perhaps this game turns into both teams seeing what they have for next year and pitt can speak one out. Why this game is important is the possibility of 9-4 with a win against a ranked opponent placing pitt back into the top 25 which I do think is important. But I do understand being slightly underwhelmed by having all of these opt outs including patti. If patti was sticking around for next year that would be something to look at.

I wonder if UCLA pay for play NIL salaries require them to "play" as in as long as they play 1 snap, that counts.

On the contrary, all signs have been pointing to UCLA retaining their key players for the game. That’s just from media reports.
In addition, if you look at their Instagram/Twitter, every post about Sun Bowl activity and practices have DTR and Charbonnet as the main features. I don’t think that happens if it’s unlikely they play.
For me personally if UCLA is able to retain key players this game becomes one of the more intriguing of the season. It’s much more a lose lose for them than us tbh.

On the contrary, all signs have been pointing to UCLA retaining their key players for the game. That’s just from media reports.
In addition, if you look at their Instagram/Twitter, every post about Sun Bowl activity and practices have DTR and Charbonnet as the main features. I don’t think that happens if it’s unlikely they play.
For me personally if UCLA is able to retain key players this game becomes one of the more intriguing of the season. It’s much more a lose lose for them than us tbh.
Did you listen to peaks interview?

Cameos for some of the marquis Uclans is what I’ve felt will happen all along. But we’ll see come Friday.

I just want the guys who do play for Pitt to play their hardest and not treat it like a scrimmage. That’s where playing some of the up-and-comers who want to make a mark for themselves can be an advantage.

Yeah, the bowls suck now - hard to deny that. I've barely watched any thus far (used to always have them on), so I tried watching that Wisconsin/OK State game last night. I couldn't. The quality of play was awful, and I turned it off in the first quarter and went to bed. When guys who haven't played all year are getting the majority of the snaps at certain positions, you have yourself a glorified Spring Game.

I'm looking forward to the playoff games. And it's going to be great when the playoff expands. More weeks of meaningful college football.

Did you listen to peaks interview?
Oh I just did haha. Still, the interviewee wasn’t exactly exhuming confidence. If we can see a full strength UCLA team for at least a half (and who knows, maybe more), I still think it’s an intriguing matchup.
Because it still means they want to win, otherwise the players would’ve opted out already.

Oh I just did haha. Still, the interviewee wasn’t exactly exhuming confidence. If we can see a full strength UCLA team for at least a half (and who knows, maybe more), I still think it’s an intriguing matchup.
Because it still means they want to win, otherwise the players would’ve opted out already.
Yes, it sounds like UCLA (more likely the boosters who fronted the NIL to the top guys) want to get safely ahead in the first half by using to top line players, who will also be able to run up some stats and get some highlights for the NFL scouts by playing our second team. Then bring in the scrubs to mop up in the second half, with the assumption by then that Duz will have the very lowest of our depth chart in the game by then. Man what a great experience it should be. 🙄

Could be? Or maybe not? There’s a distinction between “playing” and “participating”, instead of opting out.

Not sure what to expect or what we may see; from either team.

Looks as if for many of the bowl games so far, the team whose guys on the field for want to be there the most, wins. Prime examples so far were the a$$ kicking Oregon St. put on the FL Gators and Air Force decisively beating Baylor by 2 TD’s.

I will root for Patti to have a great game and be the MVP of this game. Loyal, team players are out of style, I realize, but some still value those qualities.
i'd actually like to see that just for the amusement that this board will be after with every poster asking the "what if we started him over Slovis" last season. that would keep us busy until spring camp for sure..

Reactions: Parkview57
Maybe you’re more interested in the rose bowl

I agree with you, though not many around here seem to put much stock in number of wins and end of season ranking based on the talk around the Peach Bowl. I tend to think that was a lot of people talking themselves into thinking it didn’t matter though.

This simply isn't true. It's like the 4th oldest bowl game and up until the 90s was one of maybe 5-10 bowls games available to every team in the country. It was and still is a big deal. It's the rare traditional bowl game that also has its own committee and TV contract and not owned by ESPN simply to fill up scheduling hours.
Yeah, but you will never convince one of our main resident Big Ten lurkers of this...

Polygraph would say otherwise...

Polygraph would say otherwise...
I've been to multiple PITT bowl games (including last year). Despite a strong regular season, this seems pointless. The more I think about it....I do want Patti to do well. He has put alot into this program and deserves a chance to start and win for PITT.

The last couple years, bowl games have lost their luster.

Only the playoffs matter now.

Still, it is a chance to see our team play one last time this season, and I plan to watch it.

Sir....if you are insinuating that I am a Penn State fan and were near me....I would take off my white gloves and strike you across your filthy mouth. Please edit your post immediately and apologize.
elegant-senior-old-lady-white-glove-11880710.jpg

Watch Patti go off and we will have to listen to posters talk about the "legend of Patti" for next 20 years.
If it happens and we win I'll take the w and the storyline. No shame there good kid and Pitt man

Reactions: jivecat
I am more excited about this game than Rhode Island since that was a mid-season scrimmage. But I'm less excited about this game than the other 11 games.
I was more excited for Rhode Island, since that was the only game I attended, and of course the socializing and tailgating is more important than the opponent, I had fun and it was a decent day.

I was more excited for Rhode Island, since that was the only game I attended, and of course the socializing and tailgating is more important than the opponent, I had fun and it was a decent day.
Glad someone gave you free tickets

Reactions: Pitt79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT