ADVERTISEMENT

I would hope every poster/fan, from lunatic fringe to

thebadby2

Athletic Director
Sep 21, 2003
the most rational, can agree on this:

Losing that game in the manner in which it was lost is unacceptable in Narduzzi’s 4th year as head coach. Unacceptable-period. Honestly it would be unacceptable in any coach’s first year against any opponent. But to come out and embarrass yourselves in year 4, on your home field, against your hated rival, on one of your very few prime time nationally televised games, in a game that should have at least been competitive by just about any pre-game measure or analysis, is simply not acceptable. It was a direct and catastrophic failure of coaching and program leadership.

The better team certainly won and I assume most of us were mentally prepared for that outcome. But for the team to just come out and embarrass itself and the university, to completely $hit the bed from the coin toss to the final snap, to be a national laughingstock, is not going to cut it. And it cannot be ignored or left unaddressed by the athletic director and university administration.

I’m not saying Narduzzi should be fired for this one debacle, but I am saying that the honeymoon MUST officially be over at this point with his bosses-the man should be coaching every game as though it’s for his job from this point forward. This has to take a chunk out of his credibility with the people that matter as the man who’s expected to lead this program forward.

The weather didn’t cause this total meltdown, the refs didn’t cause it, the talent differential did not cause it, the quality of the opponent did not cause it. Lack of leadership, coaching, preparation, and organization caused it. We can beat Clemson or another top 10 team once in a while, but nobody nationally or locally will ever respect this program or take it seriously until it gets past the point where a debacle like this is even possible.

Losing that game in the manner in which it was lost is unacceptable in Narduzzi’s 4th year as head coach. Unacceptable-period. Honestly it would be unacceptable in any coach’s first year against any opponent. But to come out and embarrass yourselves in year 4, on your home field, against your hated rival, on one of your very few prime time nationally televised games, in a game that should have at least been competitive by just about any pre-game measure or analysis, is simply not acceptable. It was a direct and catastrophic failure of coaching and program leadership.

The better team certainly won and I assume most of us were mentally prepared for that outcome. But for the team to just come out and embarrass itself and the university, to completely $hit the bed from the coin toss to the final snap, to be a national laughingstock, is not going to cut it. And it cannot be ignored or left unaddressed by the athletic director and university administration.

I’m not saying Narduzzi should be fired for this one debacle, but I am saying that the honeymoon MUST officially be over at this point with his bosses-the man should be coaching every game as though it’s for his job from this point forward. This has to take a chunk out of his credibility with the people that matter as the man who’s expected to lead this program forward.

The weather didn’t cause this total meltdown, the refs didn’t cause it, the talent differential did not cause it, the quality of the opponent did not cause it. Lack of leadership, coaching, preparation, and organization caused it. We can beat Clemson or another top 10 team once in a while, but nobody nationally or locally will ever respect this program or take it seriously until it gets past the point where a debacle like this is even possible.
Best post PSU game post so far. Spot on

Reactions: NCanton Panther
It was a major debacle, and he now gets added to the never ending list of Pitt fb debacles. My guess he's on the internal watch list now with Pitt's aggressive AD.

Fair post....except they didn’t shit the bed in the first half completely

The team played a competitive first half and should have been winning. When they fell behind by more than 2 score in the second half, they knew they couldn’t win because they couldn’t throw and couldn’t kick. So you can’t mount a true comeback, and that caused the team to lose its will. But still....no reason to get the doors blown off like that.

The team played a competitive first half and should have been winning. When they fell behind by more than 2 score in the second half, they knew they couldn’t win because they couldn’t throw and couldn’t kick. So you can’t mount a true comeback, and that caused the team to lose its will. But still....no reason to get the doors blown off like that.

They fell behing two scores because they played poorly from the coin toss on and coaching decisions were terrible. WIthout player and coaching mistakes they could have been up at half.

No good football team should lose its will/give up being down two scores more scores, ever!
Suck it up and play better!

Sounds like you're supporting the team in giving up which they did!
No properly coached team gives up when down two scores or even more scores!

“they knew they couldn’t win because they couldn’t throw and couldn’t kick.”

So true and how pathetic is that.
PittPanther44 must be one of the PITT coaches posting this morning.
What a horrible way to look at things when you're losing in one of your biggest games of the year.
Why bother playing?
It's takes alot of effort to put on those football uni's, and makes me tired?

But it looked like they all packed it in players and coaches.

Reactions: bluewhiteApos
It was Jackie Sherrill’s fifth season at Pitt when he lost 48-14 to Penn State. Take away a safety and score a late meaningless touchdown and yesterday’s game would have duplicated that feat.

I'm thinking he lost alot of credibility with his main(admin) supporters after this.
Pitt promoted the game ($) with hof and everything else probably more than any other before. And he was the primary face of it all leading up. It wasn't his opening game, its year 4.

Reactions: odshowtime
I agree it is unacceptable, but I do not see the 1st half you did. Pitt's special teams shit the bed that 1st half but offense and defense were very much in that game. At no point did I think Pitt was getting manhandled in the 1st half. When we fumbled the punt give PSU a short field with 2 min left and they scored. That is when PSU manhandled Pitt because Pitt quit.

That is the biggest concern to me is that they quit.

Dude-we muffed the coin toss-has that ever been done? We blew an extra point. That’s 2 already this year-a whole season’s worth for any half decent team. We missed a FG due to a bad hold. We had a 15 yard penalty on the head coach for stupidly being out on the field after a sideline warning. We had a false start in first and goal. We had 7-8 self-inflicted penalties. We lost the critical field position contest and put ourselves in a hole over and over with ridiculously bad special teams play. We had 4th and 3 from the PSU 5 and failed to get a point out of it. We bungled the clock management in the last 90 seconds of the half, fumbled the snap on a punt, gave PSU another super short field, and allowed them to score a gift TD in the last 30 seconds of the half, then took a couple of knees to end the half despite having fairly decent field position and 2 time outs. And that was all just in the first half. And that’s just the stuff I can recall easily. There was plenty more.

Not sure what your definition of “$hit the bed” is, but I’d have to think that qualifies. Even though the score was close then, the nation was laughing at the clown show that is Pitt football.

Last edited:
I don't agree. OSU made Pitt look like a high school team from the opening kickoff. Never looked like they belonged on the same field. This game... only the second half looked that way.

We don't belong on the field with half the P5 teams, and it would be a dog fight to win a third of the games against the other half.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Can someone explain what happened with the coin toss? At the game it didn’t seem like anything was wrong.

Unacceptable to you and me, sure. The guys and gals collecting the big checks still got paid. If acceptable to them, as it always seems to be, what's gonna change...
“they knew they couldn’t win because they couldn’t throw and couldn’t kick.”

So true and how pathetic is that.
Lol, hey, retitle the song ... one outta three ain't bad. Baby we can talk all night, but that ain't getting us nowhere...

Can someone explain what happened with the coin toss? At the game it didn’t seem like anything was wrong.
Won the toss but elected to receive rather than electing the coach's desire to defend first given the weather. Captain made the wrong call.

There is a black cloud over the Pitt football program. Think about the schools around us, and the ones that recruit our area. Ohio St, PS, WV, ND, Michigan St, and Michigan. All of them have had big seasons at some point over the past 20 years. Pitt is stuck in football purgatory, and being in a pro-centric sports town just further exacerbates the problem.

being against penn state makes it worse IMO
Logically it's a long season, this was early enough to be forgotten, it is OOC, freak conditions, idiot punter, we're still 0-0 where it matters, all that. But this isn't a logical pastime.

What stinks is the even few times we beat someone decent it is a nailbiter, never really satisfying, that we kicked a great teams ass decisively. I think i have to go back to a year we crushed top 10 Va Tech at home with Priestly and Bryant. Geez that's depressing.

Conversely we regularly get destroyed when we lose. Not always, but increasingly.

There's little joy to be a fan of this program. I guess it's why we have such little allegiance. Little payoff just pain.

Logically it's a long season, this was early enough to be forgotten, it is OOC, freak conditions, idiot punter, we're still 0-0 where it matters, all that. But this isn't a logical pastime.

What stinks is the even few times we beat someone decent it is a nailbiter, never really satisfying, that we kicked a great teams ass decisively. I think i have to go back to a year we crushed top 10 Va Tech at home with Priestly and Bryant. Geez that's depressing.

Conversely we regularly get destroyed when we lose. Not always, but increasingly.

There's little joy to be a fan of this program. I guess it's why we have such little allegiance. Little payoff just pain.

That's not all reality. It hurts recruting , which can't get much worse , perception among other things , but whatever you have to tell yourself enjoy

You didn’t notice we won the toss but chose to receive the ball instead of deferring, which allowed PSU to choose the end zone that put us directly into the wind and rain? When we could have started the game by kicking to them and putting the wind at our back? Total boneheaded move. The first and arguably dumbest of many.

You didn’t notice we won the toss but chose to receive the ball instead of deferring, which allowed PSU to choose the end zone that put us directly into the wind and rain? When we could have started the game by kicking to them and putting the wind at our back? Total boneheaded move. The first and arguably dumbest of many.

I did but I didn’t realize the wind was that big of an issue. My seats were under cover in 508 so didn’t feel much wind.

It’s only one game. The year we won the B1G we got smoked 49-10 by Michigan. There's still the opportunity for y’all to win the Coastal. It’s been mentioned but I think it bears repeating, you’re never as bad as you look when lose.

Last edited:
There is a black cloud over the Pitt football program. Think about the schools around us, and the ones that recruit our area. Ohio St, PS, WV, ND, Michigan St, and Michigan. All of them have had big seasons at some point over the past 20 years. Pitt is stuck in football purgatory, and being in a pro-centric sports town just further exacerbates the problem.

Just an excuse. Look at Georgia Tech. They hired Paul Johnson who immediately put in the flexbone option offense, an offense that most critics and fans called obsolete. It made them competitive.
Pitt can win with the right coach. To bad that won't happen with this coach.

It was Jackie Sherrill’s fifth season at Pitt when he lost 48-14 to Penn State. Take away a safety and score a late meaningless touchdown and yesterday’s game would have duplicated that feat.
I was there for that ambush for Pitt was in position for the National Championship once again, the only salvation was that Pitt was an excellent football team and already had 10 wins in the bag for the year.

Just an excuse. Look at Georgia Tech. They hired Paul Johnson who immediately put in the flexbone option offense, an offense that most critics and fans called obsolete. It made them competitive.
Pitt can win with the right coach. To bad that won't happen with this coach.

It worked for awhile, but Johnson almost certain to be fired after the season unless they turn things around quickly.

It worked for awhile, but Johnson almost certain to be fired after the season unless they turn things around quickly.

They went to the Orange bowl twice in his tenure. He has had two rough season in the past three. I think Ga Tech would give him one more if this goes bad.

Bet his lays the wood to us next week though.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
State made a bonehead pick on a TD and held when Miles ripped off a long run. State gave Pitt chances in that first half but Duzz pooped in his pants with not having a team ready to take advantage of it.

They went to the Orange bowl twice in his tenure. He has had two rough season in the past three. I think Ga Tech would give him one more if this goes bad.

Bet his lays the wood to us next week though.

I hope you’re mistaken. I plan on backing Pitt as a small favorite.

Dude-we muffed the coin toss-has that ever been done? We blew an extra point. That’s 2 already this year-a whole season’s worth for any half decent team. We missed a FG due to a bad hold. We had a 15 yard penalty on the head coach for stupidly being out on the field after a sideline warning. We had a false start in first and goal. We had 7-8 self-inflicted penalties. We lost the critical field position contest and put ourselves in a hole over and over with ridiculously bad special teams play. We had 4th and 3 from the PSU 5 and failed to get a point out of it. We bungled the clock management in the last 90 seconds of the half, fumbled the snap on a punt, gave PSU another super short field, and allowed them to score a gift TD in the last 30 seconds of the half, then took a couple of knees to end the half despite having fairly decent field position and 2 time outs. And that was all just in the first half. And that’s just the stuff I can recall easily. There was plenty more.

Not sure what your definition of “$hit the bed” is, but I’d have to think that qualifies. Even though the score was close then, the nation was laughing at the clown show that is Pitt football.
Yeah, it's been done before, by Pitt, and against PSU too.

I was there for that ambush for Pitt was in position for the National Championship once again, the only salvation was that Pitt was an excellent football team and already had 10 wins in the bag for the year.

I watched that game live in, of all places, Sicily. I will never forget it.

I hope you’re mistaken. I plan on backing Pitt as a small favorite.
Ga Tech just had 595 yards of offense on a Charlie Strong defense. Narduzzi has yet to figure out how to stop the flexbone. They are going to score at least 35 points on us.
I would take Tech - 4.

Ga Tech just had 595 yards of offense on a Charlie Strong defense. Narduzzi has yet to figure out how to stop the flexbone. They are going to score at least 35 points on us.
I would take Tech - 4.

You would be taking a very bad number.

gets past the point where a debacle like this is even possible.

Well, obviously when any coach cant beat the rival, he should and will be on the hot seat. Obviously we played no where near as bad as the final score was, but it wouldnt matter if it was 13-6, we still lost to the rival. Whether youre at OSU, Mich, or wherever, that puts you on the hot seat, and I am sure Heather will agree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT