ADVERTISEMENT

Identity Of 23/24 Panthers Offense

Dec 20, 2019
I think we can largely expect to still be a running team, but I think what we saw against Miami and UCLA is who we want to be: balanced run with a chunk play passing game. I would love to see more flex TE alignments that exploits nickel and safety matchups though. Year 2 could prove a lot of people wrong about Cignetti, but we need WR core to take a massive step forward.

I think we can largely expect to still be a running team, but I think what we saw against Miami and UCLA is who we want to be: balanced run with a chunk play passing game. I would love to see more flex TE alignments that exploits nickel and safety matchups though. Year 2 could prove a lot of people wrong about Cignetti, but we need WR core to take a massive step forward.
Agree. We recruited a stable of backs and have a few holdovers. I'd expect a healthy dose of running, especially early in the season while the QB gets his timing with his receivers down.

Agree, balance is and always was the goal. It was adapted as needed based on strengths, weaknesses, game situations and injuries. People like to bitch and moan, but they scored 31 points a game without a stud WR and an average QB.

I would like to see them try and push the ball downfield a little more to get defenders out of the box. Take a few more chances and let your guys try to make a play. Hard to know if they handcuffed Slovis, or if he just couldn't / wouldn't do it.

Agree, balance is and always was the goal. It was adapted as needed based on strengths, weaknesses, game situations and injuries. People like to bitch and moan, but they scored 31 points a game without a stud WR and an average QB.
Well this year we still wont have a stud WR, we will most likely have an AVG qb and no home run hitter at RB.

and our DEs, well they arent exactly on par with what we've been accustomed too the last few years. I do feel really good about our left footed kicker though. that's something.

Last edited:

I would like to see them try and push the ball downfield a little more to get defenders out of the box. Take a few more chances and let your guys try to make a play. Hard to know if they handcuffed Slovis, or if he just couldn't / wouldn't do it.

Without a stud defense on the schedule as well.

I think a few (presently unrecognized) studs will emerge on both sides of the ball. We all know of a few 3-star recruits who developed into “studs” once they became starters.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

One thing we saw out of Slovis from jump street, even before he had his head taken off in the Tenn game, was that he was indecisive and holds the ball too long. Hopefully The Jurk is a little more confident and less afraid of making a mistake. I think that alone would make a significant difference in the passing offense.

Being more involved in the offense might help him come out of this "funk" you speak of.
he's not without blame but that was one of Cignetti's biggest failures IMO, not utilizing Bart in a role he can succeed in. Hope he learned his lesson and will use him in more of an H back role..

Obviously to do that, we need an actual Tight End who can play. isnt there some Dylan transfer that we got a year ago? Has anyone confirmed this person actually exists?

Also two TE recruits a few years back with renda and cole, again, im not asking about them playing, i'll settle for confirmation that they are even still on the team..

he's not without blame but that was one of Cignetti's biggest failures IMO, not utilizing Bart in a role he can succeed in. Hope he learned his lesson and will use him in more of an H back role..

Obviously to do that, we need an actual Tight End who can play. isnt there some Dylan transfer that we got a year ago? Has anyone confirmed this person actually exists?

Also two TE recruits a few years back with renda and cole, again, im not asking about them playing, i'll settle for confirmation that they are even still on the team..
As Matt Canada demonstrated in 2016, there's a lot of different ways to utilize players that have some individual talents.

Or as Andy Reid demonstrates on a weekly basis. That mid-game attempted hook and ladder play on a 20 yard completion to Kelce was a good example. Even though it didn't work, it created some additional havoc in the secondary--like when Kelce faked the lateral on a similar completion a couple plays later.

Creativity is a positive quality in an OC. Not creativity for the sake of creativity, but creativity in the way you best utilize the individual strengths of your players.

Of course Pitt is still going to be a running team, they are not going to change their offense because it is a new year. So, is you liked the Pitt offense from last season, then you are going to enjoy this years offense as well. They still have the same OC and he isn't going to change things.
I am one of those people that you referred to when you stated that "year 2 could prove a lot of people wrong about cignetti". I hope that you are right and I am wrong about him. Sadly, I just don't see that being the case.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
And we need Gavin B. to come out of his funk. And to be a lot more aggressive.

Go Pitt.
It sounds as if you are you blaming "Gavin B." for his role in the Pitt offense last year? Is that fair to lay the blame at his feet or at the man calling the plays? It seemed as if quite a few people talked about how important the TE was in cignetti's offense, yet last year the TE's seemed invisible.
The Pitt football program is just very lucky that "Gavin B." returned to the program for another year and did not enter the transfer portal. The guy was one of the nations top young TE's going into last year and only had 21 receptions in that conservative cignetti offense. Also, really don't think that it is fair to label "Gavin B." as not being aggressive enough, when his OC seemed to forget that the middle of the field was available for use by the Pitt offense.

he dropped a few balls, think he really downplayed or hushed his injury too, mid season. he didnt practice for like 2 weeks between games and no one knew..

but yes, cignetti needs to figure this out cause he misused him last year.

• Wow
Reactions: jctrack
It sounds as if you are you blaming "Gavin B." for his role in the Pitt offense last year? Is that fair to lay the blame at his feet or at the man calling the plays? It seemed as if quite a few people talked about how important the TE was in cignetti's offense, yet last year the TE's seemed invisible.
The Pitt football program is just very lucky that "Gavin B." returned to the program for another year and did not enter the transfer portal. The guy was one of the nations top young TE's going into last year and only had 21 receptions in that conservative cignetti offense. Also, really don't think that it is fair to label "Gavin B." as not being aggressive enough, when his OC seemed to forget that the middle of the field was available for use by the Pitt offense.
I guess my take on Gavin B. is based largely on a few games where I watched what he did for several plays in a row. Then there was the bowl game play where I watched him run a route into the endzone and then just stand there watching instead of running to open space as Patti scrambled to his right.

But maybe Gavin B. was dealing with an injury - though that doesn’t say much about the guys backing him up.

Gavin was amazing as a freshman - hoping he can return to that form.

Go Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT