ADVERTISEMENT

If Capel goes 0-19 next year

How much of it would be his fault?

This past season, I blamed 40% on Barnes for being an idiot, 40% on Dixon for leaving Stallings only 2 underclassmen who were ACC-level players, and 20% on Stallings.

I know there were a lot of you who say stupid things Iike the team's result is 100% on the coach of the team no matter the hand he was dealt. So, if a widely popular coach, like Jeff Capel inherits an 0-19, loses its best 3 players, has only 5 returning players, and goes 0-19, is that 100% his fault?

I think Capel will find 1 or 2 wins but 0 wins is definitely a possibility and I hope Pitt fans are ok with that.
We'll have to see how he coaches to make that call. If he pulls a player out of the game while he's hot and replaces him with a player who's not playing well, I'd say he's at fault!

It took a lot of things to go wrong to accomplish an 0-19 record .
1) KS first yr he inherited a team with no bench players and two incoming freshman who turned out to be total busts and a juco who was injured .
2) the player who he planned on building his entire offense around leaves to greener pastures .
3) his highest rated recruit and future pg wants out of his LOI late in the recruiting cycle
4) his only returning player of quality gets injured and misses the entire portion of conference schedule .
5) his incoming class is filled with a lot of reaches
6) five freshman started a lot of games
None of these things other than losing returning players exists now , growth in the returning players and the new additions will make Pitt a better team next season . How many wins next yr .....stay tuned the roster isn’t done yet so why speculate .

And, I will add most/all of these things were not due to bad luck or chance. IMO, they were predominantly caused by KS's inept attempt to blow everything up and start from zero rather than taking a more sane and measured approach to a rebuild.

Reactions: Jpripper88
And, I will add most/all of these things were not due to bad luck or chance. IMO, they were predominantly caused by KS's inept attempt to blow everything up and start from zero rather than taking a more sane and measured approach to a rebuild.
Can’t disagree more
1) had Kithcart and CM been talented players they’d still be at Pitt . Assuming whatever got Kithcart kicked off the team was related only to his frustration of his play .
2) most likely had CM been successful Thompson would’ve come to
Pitt .
3) injuries to Clark and Luther were unavoidable
4) the failure of Wilson to improve from his freshman yr ,which wasn’t very good for a 4* , and the lack of any players ready to take over when the seniors left is more about the previous coaches recruiting failures
5) according to Cams father the plan was always to transfer after three yrs .
In no way is this an endorsement of KS , but what viable choices were
there ? A team consisting of Nix , CM , JK , DW , an injured RL & Clark , JWF plus the freshman he was capable of recruiting would’ve sucked . How many ACC games does this group win ? Blowing up this roster was the only viable option there was . His major failure was in his inability to recruit better players to Pitt .

KS inability to turn things around and going 0-19 directly lead to Pitt firing him . Pitt never eats his huge contract otherwise and the hiring of JC never happens . Pitt now for the first time has a coach whose an elite recruiter . Things worked out for the best !

He should have known what he was getting before convincing them to stay. He could have brought Kene in a year sooner.
There’s no comparison in the recruiting abilities of KS and JC and you can see how difficult it is at this time of yr to find quality players . The last thing Pitt needed when Stallings took over was more grad transfers . What they needed freshman and both JK and CM were rated high enough to expect them to be far better players than they were .
But ya know what WATER UNDER THE BRIDGE !

There’s no comparison in the recruiting abilities of KS and JC and you can see how difficult it is at this time of yr to find quality players . The last thing Pitt needed when Stallings took over was more grad transfers . What they needed freshman and both JK and CM were rated high enough to expect them to be far better players than they were .
But ya know what WATER UNDER THE BRIDGE !
He was a sitting HC recruiting at a similar level school. Our competition landed plenty of quality players during that time. KS just didn't try.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT