ADVERTISEMENT

If FSU leaves and the ACC picks up another school, can ACC renegotiate its contract?

jivecat

Senior
Jul 5, 2001
I think this would actually be a windfall. We could effectively throw out the old contract and negotiate with other vendors. You have to think that owuld generate a much larger TV contract.

The ACC TV contract is drastically under valued. We would certainly increase that contract if we were able to renegotiate. I'd gladly send FSU packing if if we could pick up UCF or Houston and renegotiate our TV contract before 2035.

Reactions: tps48
The ACC TV contract is drastically under valued. We would certainly increase that contract if we were able to renegotiate. I'd gladly send FSU packing if if we could pick up UCF or Houston and renegotiate our TV contract before 2035.

You don't get market rate though. That's the thing. Even if we were to add Notre Dame, Bama, and Ohio State, the contract would still be undervalued because ESPN would just give you what the value is for those teams' home games and then you have to divide it by 18 or 20 or wherever. So you'd get market rate for 3 teams and then still way under market for 17 teams.

Reactions: cashisking884
You don't get market rate though. That's the thing. Even if we were to add Notre Dame, Bama, and Ohio State, the contract would still be undervalued because ESPN would just give you what the value is for those teams' home games and then you have to divide it by 18 or 20 or wherever. So you'd get market rate for 3 teams and then still way under market for 17 teams.
Interesting
So trade FSU and Clemson for FAU and Coastal Carolina in an effort to make more money?

Message Board Geniuses isn't going to have to work very hard to find content today.
Sounds like my idea is horrible.

So trade FSU and Clemson for FAU and Coastal Carolina in an effort to make more money?

Message Board Geniuses isn't going to have to work very hard to find content today.
i actually was just down myrtle and decided to check out Coastal's campus. pretty nice. the stadium is ok, tiny in comparison. they are in process of building an indoor practice facility next to the stadium..

but yes, your point is valid. losing fsu would be pretty bad for the acc.

i actually was just down myrtle and decided to check out Coastal's campus. pretty nice. the stadium is ok, tiny in comparison. they are in process of building an indoor practice facility next to the stadium..

but yes, your point is valid. losing fsu would be pretty bad for the acc.

If we insist on playing home and homes with G5's, Coastal Carolina would be at the top of my list. Could easily do a mini-vacay in Myrtle.

That's why it appears the BIG and the SEC don't want them.

If we insist on playing home and homes with G5's, Coastal Carolina would be at the top of my list. Could easily do a mini-vacay in Myrtle.
worse places to spend a 4 day mini vacation than myrtle in september.

from a strategic standpoint, it's a high risk, low reward game though. they still have that stigma of being a G5 team but reality is, they are probably more talented than the bottom 1/3rd of P5 programs..

If FSU leaves or it becomes clear that they will be able to leave soon before 2025, then the ACC will be able to renegotiate because ESPN will decline the extension to allow Clemson to move to the SEC and bolster their flagship conference. Then they'll wait to see who else bolts and renegotiate for less the following season.

Nobody it appears wants FSU ( true a year ago also BTW) and SEC at least doesn’t want Clemson

ACC would be smart to continue expanding.

Nobody it appears wants FSU ( true a year ago also BTW) and SEC at least doesn’t want Clemson

I don’t think there are any schools that are additive. It’s a really big conference right now; I think we end up seeing Florida State and Clemson leave, and the ACC adding two schools to fill their spots.

What will depend is *when* they leave. If they leave sooner, I think you’re looking at some combination of Oregon State, Washington State, and UConn. If it’s closer to 2030 or later, I think you’re looking at some combination of Utah, Arizona State, and Colorado.

if fsu leaves, i am sure espn will want to re-negotiate the tv deal since it's value will be greatly decreased

Yeah, I'd love to know what newfound leverage he thinks the ACC will have discovered if one of its top two brands leaves. Especially because UNC and Clemson likely wouldn't be far behind if FSU finds an out.

It's like getting cut from your coed PSL team and then planning your next move to be trying out for the Boston Celtics.

Reactions: cashisking884
Yeah, I'd love to know what newfound leverage he thinks the ACC will have discovered if one of its top two brands leaves. Especially because UNC and Clemson likely wouldn't be far behind if FSU finds an out.

It's like getting cut from your coed PSL team and then planning your next move to be trying out for the Boston Celtics.
To be honest, I think it depends on any long term strategy. If ESPN thinks the market is valuable enough to save, they play musical chairs with their other products and prop up the remaining schools. If it's true that the contract is grossly undervalued, it makes some sense in order to protect the investment and hold things together. Possible that it would be the break point where there are schools dropped from the P2 for the fabled "super conference" so you take the schools that aren't worthy of those big revenues and pile them into the ACC. It's anyone's guess right now. Somewhere, deep in the algorithm's we'll never see, but the Big12 fan boys completely understand, lies the answer.

You are crazy if you believe that. The SEC and B1G would absolutely take either of those schools in a heartbeat if they get out of the GOR and lawsuits. Either conference would take those schools if for no other reason than to prevent the other conference from taking them.

Now that there are actual lawsuits filed, neither conference is willing to risk being subjected to a tortuous interference lawsuit from the ACC for being seen to openly induce or invite ACC members to breach their contracts. Remember that the Big 12 sent a cease and desist and threatened ESPN with a lawsuit back when Texas and Oklahoma situation occurred. The schools know they'd get gobbled up or else they wouldn't be spending millions on lawsuits to get out of the ACC, the other conferences know it, there is no benefit for them to say it out loud at this point.

Reactions: Houclone4
To be honest, I think it depends on any long term strategy. If ESPN thinks the market is valuable enough to save, they play musical chairs with their other products and prop up the remaining schools. If it's true that the contract is grossly undervalued, it makes some sense in order to protect the investment and hold things together. Possible that it would be the break point where there are schools dropped from the P2 for the fabled "super conference" so you take the schools that aren't worthy of those big revenues and pile them into the ACC. It's anyone's guess right now. Somewhere, deep in the algorithm's we'll never see, but the Big12 fan boys completely understand, lies the answer.

Couldn't they do that right now, though? Like before FSU leaves. And then they could have the best of both worlds if that's what they're interested in (preserving the ACC).

I think this would actually be a windfall. We could effectively throw out the old contract and negotiate with other vendors. You have to think that owuld generate a much larger TV contract.
No....

Only a Big 12 fan thinks they can lose top teams and still get a better deal renegotiating...

ESPN would purposely lowball to keep Clemson unhappy. And why would FSU leave but not Clemson. If one leaves, the other is leaving, too.

worse places to spend a 4 day mini vacation than myrtle in september
Yep, I actually did that a couple years ago, my nephew got married the last week of September.

Myrtle is too cold in Nov., Dec, early Jan for anything but a football game, IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT