ADVERTISEMENT

If I gave you 2 choices for the USA/England result

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
a) 3-2 loss
b) play the game and maybe you win, maybe you draw, maybe you lose 5-0.

I would be tempted to take the 3-2 loss to keep out goal differential ok and with total goals scored being the next tiebreaker, scoring 2 vs England would be really helpful.

Its pretty likely that the 2nd place team will be decided by how many goals scored and conceded for USA/Wales vs England/Iran. Might even come down to the final tiebreaker which I think is fewest amount of cards.

Might even come down to the final tiebreaker which I think is fewest amount of cards.

Technically the final tiebreaker is the drawing of lots.

The next to last tiebreaker is fair play points. Yellows are worth one, a red by two yellows is worth three (total, not one for the first yellow and three more for the second), a straight red is worth four, and a yellow and then a straight red is worth five. Obviously, fewer points are better.

Technically the final tiebreaker is the drawing of lots.

The next to last tiebreaker is fair play points. Yellows are worth one, a red by two yellows is worth three (total, not one for the first yellow and three more for the second), a straight red is worth four, and a yellow and then a straight red is worth five. Obviously, fewer points are better.

For this World Cup only since its essentially in 1 city, they should do a PK shootout instead of fair play points or drawing of lots. Probably couldn't do that in other major tournaments but I'd like to see some other tiebreaker other than a coin flip.

If I understand it correctly, is if England wins Friday, they automatically advance so not as much incentive to go all out vs. Wales. That hurts USA...

There are too many variables. I think you go all out to win until you fall behind by two goals. Then pack it in to minimize goal differential.

US might have gotten bailed out with Iran beating Wales. As long as Wales doesn’t beat England outright, all the US has to do is beat Iran if I’m mathing properly

US might have gotten bailed out with Iran beating Wales. As long as Wales doesn’t beat England outright, all the US has to do is beat Iran if I’m mathing properly

If the US wins, the only way Wales gets through is if the beat England by 3 or more

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT