ADVERTISEMENT

If Pitt lands Hinson

Edit: He missed 20-21 at ISU with an undisclosed illness after leaving Ole Miss, when Prohm was still coaching the Cyclones. He didn't seem to be on board with the new regime.

The statement from Otzelberger on Hinsin's departure.

But I would assume the time missed at ISU was also related to this:

Last edited:
I try too hard to make this program the garbage can that it’s become..? I’m sorry mr dinosaur but I’m not the one who accomplished that
Dinosaur?
I mean, in fairness, Capel's track record of bringing in high character dudes isn't exactly stellar.
True. I just want to at least wait for a kid to show he’s a problem rather than assume that from
The get go.

We’re at the stage where we take a kid with huge character concerns because we literally need to fill roster spots to field a D1 basketball team, you suck
Yeah but look at the bright side. I’m guessing he hasn’t allegedly assaulted a cop, taken an unauthorized joyride in a co-ed’s car or slept with a teammate’s girlfriend.

I mean, in fairness, Capel's track record of bringing in high character dudes isn't exactly stellar.

Yeah, I've seen people give Capel a pass on that first class because he was backed into a corner and had to take low-character guys (as if he was going to administer some full-scale psychological evaluation if he had more time to recruit, lol). Well, we can't really use that excuse if he's going to go after guys with an even worse track record. For what it's worth, I'm fine with this addition. But apologists can't have it both ways.

Reactions: SteelCityChamps
Yeah, I've seen people give Capel a pass on that first class because he was backed into a corner and had to take low-character guys (as if he was going to administer some full-scale psychological evaluation if he had more time to recruit, lol). Well, we can't really use that excuse if he's going to go after guys with an even worse track record. For what it's worth, I'm fine with this addition. But apologists can't have it both ways.
I know nothing about this player and will judge him by how he acts on and off the court here at Pitt, but solely based off what some have said on here, which I take with a grain of salt, Capel will look really foolish if this ends up being yet another guy with maturity issues.

That old Mississippi state flag should have never been allowed to represent any state to begin with.

Pitt fans are the worst.

Really glad we’re at the stage where we tear down a kid’s character before he steps foot on the court.

Y’all suck.
1. I am glad he committed because he is a P6 level player

2. 2 transfers for questionable reasons makes it seem very possible he has low character.

3. The Basektball Cesspool business has created these low character players. So I dont blame him necessarily

1. I am glad he committed because he is a P6 level player

2. 2 transfers for questionable reasons makes it seem very possible he has low character.

3. The Basektball Cesspool business has created these low character players. So I dont blame him necessarily

Anonymously posting about someone's "low character" without any foundation for that assertion is pretty low character.

I certainly appreciate your perspective but there is still a long, long way to go.
Got to get you back on board. I agree there is a long way to go but more positive news than we have seen in a long time. Hoping they can close out a good week with a few more commitments.

Sounds like Akok is deciding this weekend, Meechie is moving quick too. Those two would set us up with a nice rotation for next year.

G - Cummings / Burton
F - Hugley/Hinson/Akok

B - Nike / Johnson / Jeffress / Santos

Then maybe we can add the twins and Thiero for developmental adds and a Backup C like Fede or Thomas and get practicing.

Anonymously posting about someone's "low character" without any foundation for that assertion is pretty low character.
3 schools in 3 years. Quitting before playing a game provides some evidence. Don't be so offended. All kids are like this now. They are made out to be superstars from Age 6 and when things don't go perfectly, they switch teams. This Travel Ball/AAU generation is ruining kids. You have 8 and 9 year olds switching teams every year.

I never heard of Hinson until now. Apparently he's low character because:

1) he argued with a coach

2) doesn't like the Mississippi state flag

3) sat out a year with a blood disorder

4) transferred because the coach that recruited him left

Did I overlook an assault, burglary or rape somewhere?

He started his FR and SO years for a school in what, we have been told, is the greatest conference in college basketball history. And the PA state flag is very nice. He may turn out okay.

Got to get you back on board. I agree there is a long way to go but more positive news than we have seen in a long time. Hoping they can close out a good week with a few more commitments.

Sounds like Akok is deciding this weekend, Meechie is moving quick too. Those two would set us up with a nice rotation for next year.

G - Cummings / Burton
F - Hugley/Hinson/Akok

B - Nike / Johnson / Jeffress / Santos

Then maybe we can add the twins and Thiero for developmental adds and a Backup C like Fede or Thomas and get practicing.
Adding Meechie and Akok should go a long way to getting anyone back on board. Fede was described to me as “5 fouls only.” Hinson was a good start though. Cummings too.

Adding Meechie and Akok should go a long way to getting anyone back on board. Fede was described to me as “5 fouls only.” Hinson was a good start though. Cummings too.
I love an old school 5 foul guy, especially if they can get 5 fouls in short order -- wasn't there a game early in McGee's career where he fouled out in like 10 minutes. I grew up in the 80's NBA world where every team had a useless 7 footer at the end of the bench who would essentially come in for fouls.

• Sad
Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
I love an old school 5 foul guy, especially if they can get 5 fouls in short order -- wasn't there a game early in McGee's career where he fouled out in like 10 minutes. I grew up in the 80's NBA world where every team had a useless 7 footer at the end of the bench who would essentially come in for fouls.
I don't remember if Gary fouled out, but he got 3 fouls in like 8 seconds.

• Haha
Reactions: HOF Coach
It was three fouls in less than a second actually.

He fouled, the ball was taken out of bounds, and then he fouled twice more before the ball was even inbounded (and the clock was stopped).
Bullshit fouls that would have never been called on Blair had Blair done the same exact thing.

Bullshit fouls that would have never been called on Blair had Blair done the same exact thing.

The first one was legit. The 2nd was iffy, and the 3rd was given because he wouldn't stop doing what he did to cause the call on the 2nd one. I'll bet you just loved Ed Hightower. He was on my nerves that day.

Water under the bridge though. Just one of the very few greatest nights in Pitt Hoops history. Too bad you weren't there for the Gamewatch.

Reactions: gary2
At one point in his Hs career, Hinson was ranked a top 5 Tight end in the country and had offers from everyone. I’d love to line him up beside Bartholamew

I had lunch with this young man and his family probably 6 years ago now? Wonderful family, really cool kid. Hope it works out. Tough to get excited about someone who has sat out 2 straight years but that’s just my opinion.

He fouled, the ball was taken out of bounds, and then he fouled twice more before the ball was even inbounded (and the clock was stopped).
I remember that game. I was shaking my head at what I just witnessed.

At one point in his Hs career, Hinson was ranked a top 5 Tight end in the country and had offers from everyone. I’d love to line him up beside Bartholamew

I had lunch with this young man and his family probably 6 years ago now? Wonderful family, really cool kid. Hope it works out. Tough to get excited about someone who has sat out 2 straight years but that’s just my opinion.

Any chance with Shawn Phillips?

One of my favorite Pitt memories. 3 fouls in less than a second sounds impossible...unless you actually witnessed it.

Reactions: TWPitt
Burton and Sibande are both career 33-35% three point shooters (though Sibande shot 42% in his season at Pitt). Cummings shot 37% from three at Colgate. Hinson is a career 33% shooter. Those four guys on the floor are probably a higher combined percentage than what we’ve had previously under Capel. You maybe don’t have a knock down guy (unless Sibande repeats his 42% year again), but you’re going to have guys 1-4 who defenses at least need to respect when they’re outside the arc.
Pitt shot 31.4% from three last year and 28.6% outside of Horton and Mo.

Cummings: career 36% from 3 and 80% from the line. Three point shooting may drop a bit with level up in competition.

Burton: Career 33% from 3 and 75% from the line. Improved FT last year, so maybe we see a three point shooting jump this year. Better shooting numbers on the functional '20 Wichita State team.

Nike: At Pitt he shot 43% from three and only 57% from the line. Both small sample. I would say 34%/75% more in line with career numbers. Also the injury factor.

Hinson: Only one so far that is a volume 3 point shooter in the past. Two years away from 33%/72% at Ole Miss. If you can get 33% from three from a forward you can win with that.

Akok: Unlikely we get him and small sample size. Career 33% from three and 50% from the line. The 46% from three this year was on only 28 attempts.

Meechie Johnson: 32%/74% this year in limited time.

I still think they will struggle with spacing next year. You lose Mo and Horton (and Eze). They still don't have a sniper on the roster. I guess Capel could try to go with Hugley focusing down low if he has four ok shooters around him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT