ADVERTISEMENT

If we only win 3-4 games, do we consider firing HCPN

sappycrease

Redshirt
Oct 12, 2015
Honest question. Hypothetically (a lot of season left), we end the season with only 3-4 wins - should Narduzzi get fired? It's painfully obvious that he won with a previous (better too) coach's players the last two seasons. I would even make the argument that last year's team had the talent to win the division and we underachieved because of coaching. A 3-9 season would be one of the worst in program history.

Reactions: ejb25
No, and no. At a big time school yes, but not at Pitt where turnover has been a disaster in the last decade.

Coaches these days generally get 2-4 years to prove they're an asset, if you hesitate to make a move you get left behind. The only way Narduzzi isn't coach in 2019 is if the program totally implodes.

Honest question. Hypothetically (a lot of season left), we end the season with only 3-4 wins - should Narduzzi get fired? It's painfully obvious that he won with a previous (better too) coach's players the last two seasons. I would even make the argument that last year's team had the talent to win the division and we underachieved because of coaching. A 3-9 season would be one of the worst in program history.

Holgerson went 10-3 his first year with the previous coaches players. Year 3 he went 4-8, with 7-6 seasons in both years 2 & 4. He seems to have righted the ship now. And the fact of the matter is Narduzzi is playing lots of young kids on defense because there was little talent on that side of the ball. No doubt the team needs to play better, but at this point it would be crazy to even consider making such a move unless next season is no better than this one.

Remember when people used to make fun of Wanny always running his hand through his hair on the sidelines when PITT was looking for a big play. What is Dooz doing writing things in his tablet, shouldn't he have people doing that for him, he is the only P5 coach I see doing this.

No way. Need to give him at least five years. All coaches have down years. The guy went 8-5 the last 2 years. I'm disappointed and hope they change their offensive and defensive philosophy to match their talent and competition. But the only way he gets fired after year 4 is if they only win 1-2 games this year and next and never look competitive as well.

And I just don't see that happening.

Last edited:
No, but if we don't see improvements next year, then he should be gone.

I am extremely worried that he lived off of chryst players on the offensive side the first two years, and now is showing his true colors.

The defense has been bad since the start and is getting worse. That is where the improvement needs to show up.

Yes

Holgerson went 10-3 his first year with the previous coaches players. Year 3 he went 4-8, with 7-6 seasons in both years 2 & 4. He seems to have righted the ship now. And the fact of the matter is Narduzzi is playing lots of young kids on defense because there was little talent on that side of the ball. No doubt the team needs to play better, but at this point it would be crazy to even consider making such a move unless next season is no better than this one.
I've thought about this comparison myself. What good does firing Narduzzi do? Who replaces him? This program needs stability. Plenty of good, long tenured coaches out there have had down years and rebounded.

I know we're all impatient and this year sucks, but come on.

It's unbelievable how some of you think this program is immune to a bad year. Year 3 is often a transition year (good example with Holgy above). I have little doubt that HCPN will right the ship, maybe not right away, maybe not this year, but eventually. I will continue to support him and feel bad even responding to this ridiculous question. If we are looking at 3-9 in year 5, then maybe I'll change my tune.

I've thought about this comparison myself. What good does firing Narduzzi do? Who replaces him? This program needs stability. Plenty of good, long tenured coaches out there have had down years and rebounded.

I know we're all impatient and this year sucks, but come on.
Franklin seemed to turn Penn State around in basically the same time frame and with worse circumstances. Laugh at the Barker all,you want but he recruits great, wasn't afraid to make changes and is winning big.

My answer is NO. The guy won 16 games his 1st 2 years, beat the eventual national champ and another top 5 team last year. Sorry but he has no qb this year. If people want to jump off a bridge and want to fire him that is their opinion. Can't we just give one of the young qb's (not DeNucci) a couple years and see where we go from there? While I am frustrated by the play this year, let's remember this is a totally different style of defense Narduzzi is implementing. If let's say we fire him, new guy comes in and totally changes the system, what then? If things don't go great we want another coaching change? If either of the 2 head coaches must go it is the guy running the basketball program. As disappointing as the football program is the hoops program is much worse off.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
No, and no. At a big time school yes, but not at Pitt where turnover has been a disaster in the last decade.

Coaches these days generally get 2-4 years to prove they're an asset, if you hesitate to make a move you get left behind. The only way Narduzzi isn't coach in 2019 is if the program totally implodes.
Turnover like Pitt has been through is a disaster ANYWHERE it's tried... changing every 3 years does not work period.... when are Pitt fans going to figure this out? Narduzzi when hired I thought should get 5 years ... that hasn't changed...we went through 3 awful years with Wanny ... much worse than this no bowl games embarrassed weekly ... he was here 6 years ultimately.

Constantly changing adds to the chaos it DOESNT fix it

Last edited:

Yes. Anyone saying no should have their account deleted. Narduzzi, his defensive philosophy and offensive philosophy all suck and need to go.

Turnover like Pitt has been through is a disaster ANYWHERE it's tried... changing every 3 years does not work period.... when are Pitt fans going to figure this out? Narduzzi when hired I thought should get 5 years ... that hasn't changed...we went through 3 awful years with Wanny ... much worse than this no bowl games embarrassed weekly ... he was here 6 years ultimately.

Constantly changing adds to the chaos it first fix it

Let me ask you , if we have a losing season this year and next , how is keeping a coach who is losing better then when we were renting a coach for a year or two ? According to the records , rent a coach was getting us a bowl , right ?

Doesn't mean nothing at PITT who coaches, the issues run much deeper

Yes. Anyone saying no should have their account deleted. Narduzzi, his defensive philosophy and offensive philosophy all suck and need to go.

If his D still stinks after 18, and we have a losing record, hell yes he has to go

Look Pitts problem isn’t coaching it’s the deceptive gimmicks the admins play with the fans like stay until the end of the game for something free

And it turns out to be a get a free whopper, AFTER you buy one! That kind of stuff burns me up!

Incredibly dumb post for the following reasons

1 even if Pitt had unlimited funds to replace Narduzzi none of the 10 or so coaches who would be an immediate and clear upgrade would want to come to pitt

2 What sane up and coming coach with a significant upside would want to replace a guy who won 16 games his first two years and had some. Great wins with no terrible losses. The lack of admin support and fan support, not to mention Financial limitations make Pitt a less than attractive place

3 Since Caz left. What makes any sane fan think this admin will be able to hire a significant upgrade ? Can you say Kevin Stallings?

Finally anyone who has any knowledge of Football could see this team would struggle this year. You don't lose an NFL QB Two NFL OL and a star RB not to mention a good OC and not have huge problems.

Compound that with the prior dopes scheduling OSU, PSU and GT in three successive weekends and you have a recipe for disaster

I see some young talent on D. They actually could be pretty good next year. Also most of Duzz recruits are only true sophs. Recruiting is better but at the level that Pitt recruits those kids need two or theee years to mature to compete. PItt never has and never will recruit at a level where a team with as many first and second year players on D they have will be good

DUzz at the very least gets next year and most likely the year after. If he's not winning 9 or 10 games the year after next then can him.

But be careful what you wish for.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Franklin seemed to turn Penn State around in basically the same time frame and with worse circumstances. Laugh at the Barker all,you want but he recruits great, wasn't afraid to make changes and is winning big.
Franklin has done a hell of a job, but all that sanction BS aside, it's still easier to succeed as football coach out in Creepy Valley than it is at Pitt.

Reactions: ThePanthers
No, Pitt admin and BOT LOVE his salary. Second lowest in the ACC. Since things are not looking good at the moment, the Pitt Admin is probably trying to strike while the iron is hot and trying to work out an extension.......PItt Admin trying to get a killer deal.....extending him at a low salary.

No, Pitt admin and BOT LOVE his salary. Second lowest in the ACC. Since things are not looking good at the moment, the Pitt Admin is probably trying to strike while the iron is hot and trying to work out an extension.......PItt Admin trying to get a killer deal.....extending him at a low salary.

THIS IS THE 100% TRUTH AND HOW PITT WORKS

I heard his staff is next to the lowest paid as well, and his recruiting budget is a joke

Constantly changing adds to the chaos it first fix it

We went to bowl games when we rented a coach didn't we ?

The ACC payout is worth million(S) more than the BE payout. The BE payout was really really low. With that said, Pitt Admin and BOT is only paying their current HC 300k more than their BE coach.

The ACC payout is worth million(S) more than the BE payout. The BE payout was really really low. With that said, Pitt Admin and BOT is only paying their current HC 300k more than their BE coach.
What are we paying Narduzzi and what was the salary of the BE coach you are referencing?

Let me ask you , if we have a losing season this year and next , how is keeping a coach who is losing better then when we were renting a coach for a year or two ? According to the records , rent a coach was getting us a bowl , right ?

Doesn't mean nothing at PITT who coaches, the issues run much deeper
If that happened then it's year 5 where you make a decision right?

Sorry but Beamer never would have ever succeeded if VT thought like you guys

What are we paying Narduzzi and what was the salary of the BE coach you are referencing?

He is looking at narduzzi salary before the extension 2 years ago. Well see his post extension salary this spring when the data is released. There is always a year lag.

No one k ow his current salary.

If that happened then it's year 5 where you make a decision right?

Sorry but Beamer never would have ever succeeded if VT thought like you guys

Times are different my friend. VT had an alum who was in it for the long haul in Beamer , and the school was ready to go all in, and they did, apples to oranges with Pitt.

Duzz needs to fight for better asst coaches and recruiters, or he will fail. Pitt is paying at the very bottom of the ACC, and that has to change!

Times are different my friend. VT had an alum who was in it for the long haul in Beamer , and the school was ready to go all in, and they did, apples to oranges with Pitt.

Duzz needs to fight for better asst coaches and recruiters, or he will fail. Pitt is paying at the very bottom of the ACC, and that has to change!
VT alums and their BOT cared. The same cannot be said of Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT