ADVERTISEMENT

If we only win 3-4 games, do we consider firing HCPN

No way. Even at 1-11, his job is extremely safe. I do think Partridge is the next DC and he needs to bring in a big-time recruiter.

We only lose 4 senior starters if you dont count Browne and JJS (who has to be losing his job soon).

No way. Even at 1-11, his job is extremely safe. I do think Partridge is the next DC and he needs to bring in a big-time recruiter.

We only lose 4 senior starters if you dont count Browne and JJS (who has to be losing his job soon).

I agree this year , he better not make it two in a row though

I agree this year , he better not make it two in a row though

Back to back 8-4 regular seasons gets him 5 years guaranteed, even at back to back 1-11s and we're not going 1-11 back to back. Its somewhere between 2-10 and 4-8 this year and somewhere between 5-7 and 8-4 next year.

The most likely scenario of Narduzzi not being here in the next 2 years is if Dantonio retires or is "encouraged" to and they hire Narduzzi.

Back to back 8-4 regular seasons gets him 5 years guaranteed, even at back to back 1-11s and we're not going 1-11 back to back. Its somewhere between 2-10 and 4-8 this year and somewhere between 5-7 and 8-4 next year.

The most likely scenario of Narduzzi not being here in the next 2 years is if Dantonio retires or is "encouraged" to and they hire Narduzzi.

We shall all see. That's the beauty of all this, we can all agree to disagree, and MICH ST wouldn't take him right now. Also this is Pitt, expect the unexpected always

Times are different my friend. VT had an alum who was in it for the long haul in Beamer , and the school was ready to go all in, and they did, apples to oranges with Pitt.

Duzz needs to fight for better asst coaches and recruiters, or he will fail. Pitt is paying at the very bottom of the ACC, and that has to change!
I agree.... you got to have assistants ...longer than a year...... look at Canada for example...

Message board wisdom says hey coach " go run for the money".... reality shows now Pitt and Canada likely to get burned...,horrible move where he could have built at Pitt a few years... LSU struggled to beat Cuse... lol

Just like the conventional wisdom that says Pitt made the offer too late? Says who? And every time I ask I get some vague nonsense that always turns into Pirates talk which has nothing to do with Pitt football.... again who says so?

We shall all see. That's the beauty of all this, we can all agree to disagree, and MICH ST wouldn't take him right now. Also this is Pitt, expect the unexpected always

Mich St would take him even after 1-11, trust me. He is loved there.

I agree.... you got to have assistants ...longer than a year...... look at Canada for example...

Message board wisdom says hey coach " go run for the money".... reality shows now Pitt and Canada likely to get burned...,horrible move where he could have built at Pitt a few years... LSU struggled to beat Cuse... lol

Just like the conventional wisdom that says Pitt made the offer too late? Says who? And every time I ask I get some vague nonsense that always turns into Pirates talk which has nothing to do with Pitt football.... again who says so?

Yes, great points , sums it up for sure

Mich St would take him even after 1-11, trust me. He is loved there.

They would not take a D guru that for 3 years his D sucks, period

Chryst was terrible at Pitt. Inherited a 6-6 team and left a 6-6 team and Wisconsin was foaming at the mouth for him. Pitt is viewed as a very tough place to win and MSU will take him no questions asked even after 1-11....and we're not going 1-11, maybe 3-9 and that makes his case easier

Chryst was terrible at Pitt. Inherited a 6-6 team and left a 6-6 team and Wisconsin was foaming at the mouth for him. Pitt is viewed as a very tough place to win and MSU will take him no questions asked even after 1-11....and we're not going 1-11, maybe 3-9 and that makes his case easier

We made a bowl under him every year he was here and to be honest, he was the reason our O was so good last year , and I am not a fan of sleepy

As for Duzz, his D is alarming considering that's his go to and his recruiting is way below ACC level. I don't blame Duzz for having a bad D in year 1, not even year 2, but holy hell, this is year 3 and still stinks

Why wouldn't MSU take him if there is any truth to the Pitt job being his training? Chryst did less at Pitt (a Youngstown loss on his resume to boot) and how did that work out with Wisconsin?

Ironic you citing that time will tell. You were completely wrong on the Canada hire, and you were the only one here with a chubby after the Stallings hire.

Why wouldn't MSU take him if there is any truth to the Pitt job being his training? Chryst did less at Pitt (a Youngstown loss on his resume to boot) and how did that work out with Wisconsin?

Ironic you citing that time will tell. You were completely wrong on the Canada hire, and you were the only one here with a chubby after the Stallings hire.

His D , when he is fully in charge blows , his recruiting very very avg, I don't know , I think they can do better.

It's unbelievable how some of you think this program is immune to a bad year. Year 3 is often a transition year (good example with Holgy above). I have little doubt that HCPN will right the ship, maybe not right away, maybe not this year, but eventually. I will continue to support him and feel bad even responding to this ridiculous question. If we are looking at 3-9 in year 5, then maybe I'll change my tune.
I don't think he should be fired after this year (which will be a disaster) and I am still on the fence as to whether he is a good coach, but if he goes 3-9 this year and 3-9 in year 5 then "MAYBE (you'll) change your time"? MAYBE?!?! That would be clear as day he can't get it done and some of our fans would only MAYBE think about moving on if a 5th year coach goes 3-9?!?! Wow.

If that happened then it's year 5 where you make a decision right?

Sorry but Beamer never would have ever succeeded if VT thought like you guys
The Beamer comparison is so stupid and lazy. The situations were not remotely similar and the landscape and $$ on the line were unbelievably different.

Reactions: TD_istheman

This post is dripping with irony. You call chryst horrible for going 6-6, but then are going to give a pass if pitt goes 3-9 this year?

If things go off the rails, he should get 2018 to right the ship, but his seat should be very hot. It isn't even so much about the record as it is aboout the fact the defense has shown no improvement.

Finally, if people are going to keep on saying narduzzi needs time to recruit his own players, then you have to admit a large portion of the two 8-4 years was because of chryst. You can't give credit for going 8-4 his first two years, then in his third year blame a bad season on chryst. That is absolutely asinine.

A good coach can have a down year if the talent is young...the pribalem for pitt is it lacks talent...at almost every position,once whitehead and Henderson leave and even Weah this team won't have any talent at all...and the way recruiting is going it's going to get a lot worse....especially with the way this staff fails with player developement

Remember when people used to make fun of Wanny always running his hand through his hair on the sidelines when PITT was looking for a big play. What is Dooz doing writing things in his tablet, shouldn't he have people doing that for him, he is the only P5 coach I see doing this.
Good observation!
HCPN was an asst all his career.
Now as a HC he must adjust to being a HC and trusting and relying on assts to do important things like this!
Its really easy for " doers" to have trouble delegating important tasks that they always did to others which causes two problems. The "under utilization" of quality assts and the "overload" of a quality HC.

If HCPN assts are not up to speed that presents another problem.

Not saying this is the case but could be a developing issue.

Good observation!
HCPN was an asst all his career.
Now as a HC he must adjust to being a HC and trusting and relying on assts to do important things like this!
Its really easy for " doers" to have trouble delegating important tasks that they always did to others which causes two problems the "under utilization" of quality assts and the "overload" of a quality HC.

If HCPN assts are not up to speed that presents another problem.

Not saying this is the case but could be a developing issue.

I worry most about his recruiting , when is the last time he was a doer in that ? He didn't much at Michigan St. He is failing himself and Pitt in that aspect as of right now.

The Beamer comparison is so stupid and lazy. The situations were not remotely similar and the landscape and $$ on the line were unbelievably different.
Why? VT wasn't shit before Beamer.... what Pitt did in 76 or 80 doesn't matter.... its rebuilding and that takes time effort and patience I don't care what era it is....

I think Narduzzi needs a strong assistant who can recruit.... think Dixon when he had stuff firing

Why? VT wasn't shit before Beamer.... what Pitt did in 76 or 80 doesn't matter.... its rebuilding and that takes time effort and patience I don't care what era it is....

Bingo!

Every non-land grant school is at a disadvantage when it comes to rebuilding and sustaining a winning program. There are built in obstacles that take longer to over come (money, smaller alumni base) especially true when you are an urban school not named USC or Miami.

It took so long at VT because they didn't cheat and did it the right way. For that, you need patience. They were willing to give Beamer the time and money it would take to get the program stable and winning. QB is the key. Once they got Jim Druckenmiller followed by Michael Vick, things fell into place...

Even thinking about firing Narduzzi would be the absolute worse thing you could do. Every school is looking to get their school to the next level. Schools with much bigger alumni, money, resources and tradition can't get it right either. These schools have already fired their coach or talking about it and are still struggling; ND, Texas A&M, LSU, Texas, Nebraska, Florida, etc...

Reactions: jt0716 and DruidTM
No.
Not after 1 bad season,

I have doubts he's a good coach, but he's going to get year 4 at least to show improvement,

Who would have thought anything different coming from The Squirrel Hill Raincloud!
You've "never" made a positive PITT post that I've read but I admit I don't read all your posts who has time to read 40k + message board posts????
The wind in Pittsburgh is expected to pick up to 6-7 mph enough to move the Squirrel Hill Raincloud out of town for the afternoon.
Keep us posted on other uplifting Panthers sporting news!

Times are different my friend. VT had an alum who was in it for the long haul in Beamer , and the school was ready to go all in, and they did, apples to oranges with Pitt.

Duzz needs to fight for better asst coaches and recruiters, or he will fail. Pitt is paying at the very bottom of the ACC, and that has to change!

He needs help in that fight so we would hope the new AD Lyke is or will support him in this effort.

Everyone needs to be all in, not one foot in and the other ready to run if things get tough which is lkely!

PITTs AD's have been a speed bumps in the effort to get PITT football and basketball into the fast lane.

Honest question. Hypothetically (a lot of season left), we end the season with only 3-4 wins - should Narduzzi get fired? It's painfully obvious that he won with a previous (better too) coach's players the last two seasons. I would even make the argument that last year's team had the talent to win the division and we underachieved because of coaching. A 3-9 season would be one of the worst in program history.
No.
If that were the case, you may as well fire him now. Because that is what Pitt is going to win this year. 3 or 4, maybe 5. With the young defense, the QB play the mediocre offensive line, and WR's how could they win more?

He needs help in that fight so we would hope the new AD Lyke is or will support him in this effort.

Everyone needs to be all in, not one foot in and the other ready to run if things get tough which is lkely!

PITTs AD's have been a speed bumps in the effort to get PITT football and basketball into the fast lane.

Great points but we need Pitt to show some good faith

Who would have thought anything different coming from The Squirrel Hill Raincloud!
You've "never" made a positive PITT post that I've read but I admit I don't read all your posts who has time to read 40k + message board posts????
The wind in Pittsburgh is expected to pick up to 6-7 mph enough to move the Squirrel Hill Raincloud out of town for the afternoon.
Keep us posted on other uplifting Panthers sporting news!
I'm positive when it's warranted.

I'll remind you? Highland Park

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Foge you could tell in year one wasn't going to work and thought he should be fired after year 3. Same with Hackett.

Narduzzi is coming off two good seasons and beating PSU & Clemson. It is foolish even to comment on this. He gets 5 years, but if this year plays out like it started, and next year is more of the same, I would say the seat would be somewhat warm in year 5.

But I could see the MSU thing coming into play next year if Dantonio is out. I think they would make a move on him average record or not. And I think he would bite since I get the sense he may feel like Chryst that the admin isn't all in.

No!
Wouldn't want Lyke to be responsible for the replacement coach search!
Lets hope HCPN gets things back on track!

Why? Because he was being paid $80k. The sport wasn't remotely the same and Beamer was a cheap option where VT was hoping for something but not committing much to him.

I agree what happened 40 years ago doesn't matter. Neither is a 30 year in past hire when they landscape had massively changed and that program was under sanctions. It isn't similar.

Why not?
Can she do worse than Barnes?
Probably not.
Can she do worst than SP? Probably not. He's a two time loser!

We shouldnt use those two as AD poster boys.

PITT does a terrible job of hiring AD's.

I'll put this decision off until we hire an AD who has had the experience, job scope, contacts, to make a top P5 hire!

Last edited:
No!
Wouldn't want Lyke to be responsible for the replacement coach search!
Lets hope HCPN gets things back on track!
More than likely she would go after the Eastern Michigan coach she hired. He has done a pretty good job. Moorhead at PS, a Walt disciple, would be another probable candidate. Jason Candle at Toledo might be another name.

ADVERTISEMENT