ADVERTISEMENT

If we play in a deluge

snaphook297

Freshman
Dec 19, 2020
Pittsburgh
The disparity in talent may be mitigated. I hate to play in a soupy wet windy environment . A fluke play could beat you. But we will show up.

The disparity in talent may be mitigated. I hate to play in a soupy wet windy environment . A fluke play could beat you. But we will show up.
Not to mention the new sod. Looks like they replaced it a week too early.

On the other hand, our strength this year is pounding the rock, so it's possible we could ram it down their throats grinding through the mud. I assume they aren't an option team anymore since Paul Johnson left? I have no idea what offense they run now?

On the other hand, our strength this year is pounding the rock, so it's possible we could ram it down their throats grinding through the mud. I assume they aren't an option team anymore since Paul Johnson left? I have no idea what offense they run now?
Yeah, that's my thought. Pitt is running the ball well all of the sudden. That would be a pretty big advantage in crummy weather. Especially with Pitt's run defense.

A wet field, if the wind is not high, is an advantage for passing teams.

The receivers know where they're going, the DB can't react to cuts well.

If the ball stays dry and the wind is low, passers have an edge with a wet turf.

Yeah from what I see it will be rainy and wet but the rain isn't going to be a downpour and the winds shouldn't be that strong.

I don't think Georgia Tech does either 😆😆

The state of the (brand new) sod turf during and after might actually be the most interesting story in this increasingly dismal sounding event. I’m sure they cover it as long as possible ahead of time but can’t do that during the game. Can we expect the band(s) won’t be playing in the field? Truncated pregame warmups? And it’s a really quick turnaround to get it ready for the Steelers tomorrow at 1:00pm. If it pours all evening and still pouring afterward and through the night, how do they handle that? Do they leave it uncovered while trying to clean it up, tamp it down, repaint? Do they have additional new midfield sod rolls they’re prepared to bring out if the worst happens? Seems infinitely more interesting than the 3-line-plunges-and-a-cloud of mud ‘action’ to look forward to…

Reactions: NKSplitter
The state of the (brand new) sod turf during and after might actually be the most interesting story in this increasingly dismal sounding event. I’m sure they cover it as long as possible ahead of time but can’t do that during the game. Can we expect the band(s) won’t be playing in the field? Truncated pregame warmups? And it’s a really quick turnaround to get it ready for the Steelers tomorrow at 1:00pm. If it pours all evening and still pouring afterward and through the night, how do they handle that? Do they leave it uncovered while trying to clean it up, tamp it down, repaint? Do they have additional new midfield sod rolls they’re prepared to bring out if the worst happens? Seems infinitely more interesting than the 3-line-plunges-and-a-cloud of mud ‘action’ to look forward to…
Wondering if Pitt has any sort of logo at Midfield at all this game. I'm banking on they don't. If they do, and weather conditions don't permit them to change it before the Steelers game I can only imagine the outrage from some factions of the Steelers fan base if the Steelers play a home game with a Pitt logo at Midfield.

What is the logic behind changing sod just before there being back to back games to begin with? The condition of the surface was still good enough that I would think it makes more sense to play the back to back games first and then resod when you know there will be better spacing between games?

That said, I'm of the opinion they have been overdoing the resodding lately. Early in the stadium's history the surface was mush and divots were flying everywhere. Frequent resodding made sense. More recently, even after the WPIAL playoffs, Midfield was worn, but not barren. It seems to me like it may make more sense and result in a better playing surface to continue to care for what is already rooted rather than multiple resoddings per year.

Looks like rain the whole game. Will wind be a factor? Seems like the under is the right play

The state of the (brand new) sod turf during and after might actually be the most interesting story in this increasingly dismal sounding event. I’m sure they cover it as long as possible ahead of time but can’t do that during the game. Can we expect the band(s) won’t be playing in the field? Truncated pregame warmups? And it’s a really quick turnaround to get it ready for the Steelers tomorrow at 1:00pm. If it pours all evening and still pouring afterward and through the night, how do they handle that? Do they leave it uncovered while trying to clean it up, tamp it down, repaint? Do they have additional new midfield sod rolls they’re prepared to bring out if the worst happens? Seems infinitely more interesting than the 3-line-plunges-and-acloud of mud ‘action’ to look forward to…
Wondering if Pitt has any sort of logo at Midfield at all this game. I'm banking on they don't. If they do, and weather conditions don't permit them to change it before the Steelers game I can only imagine the outrage from some factions of the Steelers fan base if the Steelers play a home game with a Pitt logo at Midfield.

What is the logic behind changing sod just before there being back to back games to begin with? The condition of the surface was still good enough that I would think it makes more sense to play the back to back games first and then resod when you know there will be better spacing between games?

That said, I'm of the opinion they have been overdoing the resodding lately. Early in the stadium's history the surface was mush and divots were flying everywhere. Frequent resodding made sense. More recently, even after the WPIAL playoffs, Midfield was worn, but not barren. It seems to me like it may make more sense and result in a better playing surface to continue to care for what is already rooted rather than multiple resoddings per year.
I’d prefer we didn’t have a logo. In similar conditions the greasepaint they used for the Pitt logo at midfield caused Ray Graham to tear his ACL. He was essentially done after that. Our midfield logo is so small it isn’t worth the bother anyway.

KDKA changed the forecast to just cloudy tonight. Today is just a 40% chance of rain, and it's very light. It's not even raining where I am and the sky looks like it is brightening a bit. So let's be optimistic. Maybe the field will be wet, but maybe we won't be sitting in a deluge.

ADVERTISEMENT