ADVERTISEMENT

I'm Rooting for Capel!

Protes

All American
Mar 23, 2003
Should he have been fired? Yes.

But he wasn't. He's still our coach.

Now, I hope he strikes gold via the transfer portal. Maybe he can snag a decommit or two after a coaching change elsewhere.

I hope he lands a big class for '23.

I hope he proves us all wrong and turns things around.

#H2P

Now, I hope he strikes gold via the transfer portal. Maybe he can snag a decommit or two after a coaching change elsewhere.

#H2P
I wish I would wake up tomorrow in my 20s with a million dollars. About as likely as Capel every being successful.

Reactions: dendobbs and Atch
I hope he turns it around, too, but it is going to be hard, especially hard to recruit. He is probably on one of the hottest hot seats in all of the country, so I imagine good recruits will be hesitant to commit knowing he might not be there.

I hope he turns it around, too, but it is going to be hard, especially hard to recruit. He is probably on one of the hottest hot seats in all of the country, so I imagine good recruits will be hesitant to commit knowing he might not be there.
which is why he'a got to do the Willard/Chambers/Blue Chips thing

Reactions: Protes
I did year 1, 2, and 3. Year 4, until, honestly Ithiel punched the cop and I just thought this is the same damn thing over again.

So, I can’t say I cheer for him and I may actually root against him just because keeping him seems and impossibility for any success.

Sometimes as a boss, you just know when it is time to cut ties, but HR effs with you about written details and warnings and what not and you keep a guy or gal a year or so past their expiration date.

Jeff is long past the “Best if Used By” date.

I'm rooting for Pitt. Nothing else. If it means Capel is successful, so be it. It doesn't matter anyhow because Capel won't be here long enough to be successful. I have a better chance of inheriting $10mil than of Capel being here after next year.

#H2P
I root for Pitt to win when the game tips off, I think Capel sucks, but it's just not in my DNA to root for a loss to get a coach fired or to get a higher draft pick, or whatever reason fans give to root against their teams.

It's pretty tough to write something about the future of Pitt Basketball and Jeff Capel without including the word "hope" at least three times.

How can you be a Pitt fan without wanting them to succeed ? You can doubt that he’ll succeed but in reality he’s the best chance of any success in the bb program for the next several yrs . As long as he’s the coach I‘ll root for his success !

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
How can you be a Pitt fan without wanting them to succeed ? You can doubt that he’ll succeed but in reality he’s the best chance of any success in the bb program for the next several yrs . As long as he’s the coach I‘ll root for his success !

I don't know; I think there is something to be said for ripping off the Band-aid rather than dying a slow death sometimes. Of course I would hope for him to turn things around on a dime first and foremost, just like winning the lottery would be easier than working hard toward a promotion, but that just doesn't seem realistic.

I don't know; I think there is something to be said for ripping off the Band-aid rather than dying a slow death sometimes. Of course I would hope for him to turn things around on a dime first and foremost, just like winning the lottery would be easier than working hard toward a promotion, but that just doesn't seem realistic.
Well they decided to keep the wound covered !

I cannot. If Capel picks up a few players and manages to go .500 for the next season they will probably keep him for another year. Basketball is a sport in which a good coach can turn around a program in a couple of years, Capel has now had four and the program is a mess. He has shown nothing that would make me think that if we just keep him a few more years that the team will be good.

I cannot. If Capel picks up a few players and manages to go .500 for the next season they will probably keep him for another year. Basketball is a sport in which a good coach can turn around a program in a couple of years, Capel has now had four and the program is a mess. He has shown nothing that would make me think that if we just keep him a few more years that the team will be good.

It depends on who is back and what's coming in. If he wins the NIT but Hugley leaves and his recruiting class sucks, he's gone. There would be 0 point in starting from scratch in Year 6 on a team that could go 0-20

Reactions: jctrack

#H2P

I too certainly hope this will be the case, regardless of how likely I think it will be happening.

Making the NIT is his ceiling next year. And it's one he absolutely will not reach. Dude is pretty much a joke at this point.
I certainly would not predict this but I still believe that the NCAAT is a very slight possibility if Hugley becomes one of the best bigs in the nation which I think he will be AND we get improvement from the other guys AND we get a PG and a Gueye replacement

I'm definitely rooting for Pitt to be successful and get back to our previous glory days. If that means that Capel is successful and suddenly becomes a great recruiter and coach, which it would have to mean, then I'm all for it. I'll ignore some of the nonsense and political crap he pulls and hope he can pull this team together so we have something to cheer about with this team very soon. He needs to stay in his lane and recruit and coach, not be some mouthpiece for some silly political crap. That's not his job.

I suspect that other coaches have failed miserably in their first few years, as Capel has, and have gone on to become very successful coaches. I hope this is the case with Capel.

i gave him a zero percent chance of putting together even a mediocre roster for this upcoming season and well, on paper at least, he proved me wrong..

i think we are all rooting for pitt hoops and capel is our coach. Where we disagree is in our belief that he can do it. i hope truly with my heart that he proves a lot of us wrong.

I hope he can get it done. I don't like playing musical coaches and having to pay guys who are no longer here.

I certainly would not predict this but I still believe that the NCAAT is a very slight possibility if Hugley becomes one of the best bigs in the nation which I think he will be AND we get improvement from the other guys AND we get a PG and a Gueye replacement

OK, wrong on Hugley as he didnt play. But I've earned another W in saying the NCAAT is a slight possibility if we get a PG (Nelly), Gueye replacement (Hinson) and improvement from other guys (Burton, Sibande).

🐐

He needs a strong spring recruiting class. The situation exists for that to happen. It should happen.

It needs to happen without an extension.

Next year needs to prove that as far as team play and team chemistry that this year was not an aberration.

OK, wrong on Hugley as he didnt play. But I've earned another W in saying the NCAAT is a slight possibility if we get a PG (Nelly), Gueye replacement (Hinson) and improvement from other guys (Burton, Sibande).

🐐
You thought if Hugley was one of the best bigs in the country (L) we’d have a slight chance at the tournament. It was actually the exact opposite. Anyone with a brain knew the SECOND we dumped Hugley, we’d be a much better team. Second L.

My Net would be 1 after this W because of the margin of victory except you’re a Q4 opponent

Oh I just love reading the nellies past posts. I root for Capel since he is Pitt's coach and if he succeeds then our team succeeds. We have enough Pittsburgh media bashers and to read more on here is just pathetic. H2P!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT