ADVERTISEMENT

"Leaked" data shows which programs valued most by ESPN, FOX

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
Take this with a grain of salt because it's one of those Big 12 "fanboy" accounts, but they did call the 'Four Corner' schools jumping ship to the Big 12 before it happened. I also wouldn't be surprised if this was legit because it lines up with TV ratings for each program the past 7-8.

Pitt comes in at #51 out of 60 schools measured. Several ACC schools didn't even make the cut. Thoughts? Any surprises?

Take this with a grain of salt because it's one of those Big 12 "fanboy" accounts, but they did call the 'Four Corner' schools jumping ship to the Big 12 before it happened. I also wouldn't be surprised if this was legit because it lines up with TV ratings for each program the past 7-8.

Pitt comes in at #51 out of 60 schools measured. Several ACC schools didn't even make the cut. Thoughts? Any surprises?

Thanks for sharing, but it’s a bunch of Bull$hit…

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I think if this is the third party source that this guy talks about a lot, then a lot of their otherwise-laughable posts (typically about Big 12 or WVU superiority) suddenly make more sense.

I think if this is the third party source that this guy talks about a lot, then a lot of their otherwise-laughable posts (typically about Big 12 or WVU superiority) suddenly make more sense.
Turns out, his third-party source is actually the Martin’s baker down in Martinsburg… :)

This is so inaccurate that it does not even follow the internal ACC data.

FTP
NGF

Why even post this? This is clearly completey made up. This CW Lambert guy is one of those Big 12 propogandists. Somehow these guys and nobody else has every possible tidbit of information relating to conference expansion.

Also, isnt CW Lambert "The Dude?"

Last edited:
Why even post this? This is clearly completey made up. This CW Lambert guy is one of those Big 12 propogandists. Somehow these guys and nobody else has every possible tidbit of information relating to conference expansion.

Also, isnt CW Lambert "The Dude?"
Yes, CW Lambert is “The Dude”. Also known as Chris Lambert. He is a WVU fanatic that went on Twitter during realignment and spread all kinds of rumors. He was so believable that a Raleigh radio station had him on their show. He quickly was exposed as a fraud.

He has no sources.

You'd think he'd at least try to make the list look plausible. There's a reason why Iowa State was consistently the odd man out when there were 65 P5 schools and people would make a 64 team super league.

You'd think he'd at least try to make the list look plausible. There's a reason why Iowa State was consistently the odd man out when there were 65 P5 schools and people would make a 64 team super league.

Yeah, I think you can make the case that the top 15 or so is decent. You can quibble about the order, but the teams are mostly the ones that belong there. But after that it gets really wonky really quickly.

After all, that other guy told us that Stanford is the 3rd most valuable program in the ACC, and fourth place wasn't even close, and yet this guy has Stanford as the 11th most valuable in the ACC. Clearly must be wrong, because other posters assured us that that other list was spot on.

Seriously though, any list like this that has Cal 12 spots ahead of Stanford isn't worth the ones and zeros it's saved with.

Yeah, I think you can make the case that the top 15 or so is decent. You can quibble about the order, but the teams are mostly the ones that belong there. But after that it gets really wonky really quickly.

After all, that other guy told us that Stanford is the 3rd most valuable program in the ACC, and fourth place wasn't even close, and yet this guy has Stanford as the 11th most valuable in the ACC. Clearly must be wrong, because other posters assured us that that other list was spot on.

Seriously though, any list like this that has Cal 12 spots ahead of Stanford isn't worth the ones and zeros it's saved with.
That's the one that got me. The only explanation is that, unless you're a premier brand like Notre Dame or USC, private schools took a big hit in these rankings. Plus, they don't take into consideration the possibility that Stanford could land an invite to the B1G based on Notre Dame's insistence.

WVU at #21. LMAO

WVU 4 spots ahead of The U. Ask any network if they'd rather have WVU's home games or Miami's and they are taking WVU? LOLOLOLOL

Listen, The Dude simply made this list up. How did a tweet from The Dude make it onto this board?

Yes, CW Lambert is “The Dude”. Also known as Chris Lambert. He is a WVU fanatic that went on Twitter during realignment and spread all kinds of rumors. He was so believable that a Raleigh radio station had him on their show. He quickly was exposed as a fraud.

He has no sources.

Yeah, but he was right about the hoopies selling their 3rd tier right for $1,000,000,000,000,000,000 because, you know every starving child in Africa love to watch the hoopies.

Yeah WVU, who has never placed in the top 25 for television ratings and finishes in the middle of the Big 12 in annual ratings, is definitely the 21st most valuable television property. What with all of their other aspects pushing them into nearly the top 20.

- shrinking enrollment
- In a conference that didn't have a single team place in the top 25 in 2023 average viewers. (Now that Texas is gone)(ACC at least had 4 teams)
- (41st in tv ratings in 2023) 8th place in Big 12 in television viewership
- reliance on non-annual OOC games to bring in any TV ratings (PSU, Pitt)
- middle of the pack alumni base size
- The inability to sell any advertising slots that don't involve the word "tactical" or DUI legal services.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I think you can dispute these for a lot of reasons but my biggest issue in seeing such lists is that tiered rankings make a lot more sense than numerical rankings.

Like there's only a 10 spot gap between Texas and Michigan State, but we all know that to be a huge chasm in terms of money, prestige, history, etc. And there's also a 9 spot gap between Georgia Tech and Pitt but those are extremely comparable programs in most respects.

Once you get past school 25 or so, it's a pretty flat tier. Are networks really going to backstab each other to get Mississippi State over Missouri?

Reactions: Burgh15
I think you can dispute these for a lot of reasons but my biggest issue in seeing such lists is that tiered rankings make a lot more sense than numerical rankings.

Like there's only a 10 spot gap between Texas and Michigan State, but we all know that to be a huge chasm in terms of money, prestige, history, etc. And there's also a 9 spot gap between Georgia Tech and Pitt but those are extremely comparable programs in most respects.

Once you get past school 25 or so, it's a pretty flat tier. Are networks really going to backstab each other to get Mississippi State over Missouri?
Atlanta and Pittsburgh are not comparable TV markets, though.

If each school sold their own rights, this is how I'd rank them.

1. Notre Dame
2. Ohio State
3. Texas
4. Michigan
5. Alabama
6. Georgia
7. Penn State
8. Florida
9. Tennessee
10. Oklahoma
11. Florida State
12. LSU
13. USC
14. Oregon
15. Wisconsin
16. Texas A&M
17. Clemson
18. Miami
19. Washington
20. North Carolina

This is such a hard exercise because so much of a team's TV value is based on who they play. If the Big Ten added Point Park and they sold their rights individually by team, Point Park would have a higher TV value than Pitt simply because of who they are playing. OSU, Mich, PSU, USC, etc fans will tune in to see their teams play Point Park.

Atlanta and Pittsburgh are not comparable TV markets, though.
Well Georgia Tech is not necessarily in the top 3 in Atlanta (UGA is #1 for sure but I also know a ton of Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, and Clemson fans) so that matters quite a bit for market analysis.

I assume by "value" we're really just talking about TV viewership and ratings. if that's the case, this list looks pretty similar to others I've seen over the past several years. It's basically a regurgitation of the Nielsen ratings. The only ACC teams that get much viewership outside the ACCN are Clemson and FSU. Seems pretty logical that, excepting ND, the bigger state schools that are in areas with bigger TV markets would have more viewership/higher ratings since they have more alums living in major cities across the country, which means more viewers. Take ASU for instance, which a poster above used as an example of the flaws in this list. ASU is in the Phoenix TV market and there are over 325,000 ASU alumni in the Phoemix metro alone, over 600,000 around the country. Same kinds of numbers for Indiana (almost 800k living alums, over 400k in Indiana alone), Michigan State, etc. Alums watch their schools' games regardless of how bad their teams are.

Agree that not all of these placements make sense, especially the WVU one. Here are the Nielsen's:

Power 5 Breakdown (per game)

Here are the average Nielsen viewers for the Power 5 schools that averaged at least a million viewers per game. (Not all teams played the same number of games on Nielsen-rated networks.)

ACC: Florida State 4.16, Clemson 2.90, Miami 2.65, Duke 2.63, Louisville 2.37, North Carolina 1.93, Georgia Tech 1.83, Boston College 1.48, Pitt 1.37, Syracuse 1.20, NC State 1.13, Virginia Tech 1.02. Others: Virginia, Wake Forest.

Big 12: Texas 4.26, Oklahoma 2.61, Oklahoma State 1.96, TCU 1.70, Kansas 1.48, West Virginia 1.45, Iowa State 1.37, BYU 1.31, Kansas State 1.30, Texas Tech 1.30, Baylor 1.09. Others: Cincinnati, Houston, UCF.

Big Ten: Ohio State 6.05, Michigan 5.61, Penn State 3.66, Iowa 2.68, Nebraska 2.63, Michigan State 1.65, Wisconsin 1.61, Maryland 1.55, Minnesota 1.44, Indiana 1.26, Rutgers 1.14. Others: Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue.

Pac-12: Colorado 6.00, Oregon 4.43, Washington 4.14, USC 3.77, Utah 2.61, Oregon State 2.44, Washington State 2.15, UCLA 1.67, Stanford 1.64, Arizona 1.30, Arizona State 1.20, Cal 1.08.

SEC: Alabama 7.12, Georgia 5.90, Tennessee 4.57, LSU 3.79, Auburn 3.55, Missouri 3.25, Florida 3.17, Ole Miss 2.93, Texas A&M 2.74, South Carolina 2.69, Vanderbilt 2.46, Kentucky 2.07, Mississippi State 2.01, Arkansas 1.93.

Independent: Notre Dame 4.15.

Last edited:
I assume by "value" we're really just talking about TV viewership and ratings. if that's the case, this list looks pretty similar to others I've seen over the past several years. It's basically a regurgitation of the Nielsen ratings. The only ACC teams that get much viewership outside the ACCN are Clemson and FSU. Seems pretty logical that, excepting ND, the bigger state schools that are in areas with bigger TV markets would have more viewership/higher ratings since they have more alums living in major cities across the country, which means more viewers. Take ASU for instance, which a poster above used as an example of the flaws in this list. ASU is in the Phoenix TV market and there are over 325,000 ASU alumni in the Phoemix metro alone, over 600,000 around the country. Same kinds of numbers for Indiana (almost 800k living alums, over 400k in Indiana alone), Michigan State, etc. Alums watch their schools' games regardless of how bad their teams are.

Agree that not all of these placements make sense, especially the WVU one. Here are the Nielsen's:

Power 5 Breakdown (per game)

Here are the average Nielsen viewers for the Power 5 schools that averaged at least a million viewers per game. (Not all teams played the same number of games on Nielsen-rated networks.)

ACC: Florida State 4.16, Clemson 2.90, Miami 2.65, Duke 2.63, Louisville 2.37, North Carolina 1.93, Georgia Tech 1.83, Boston College 1.48, Pitt 1.37, Syracuse 1.20, NC State 1.13, Virginia Tech 1.02. Others: Virginia, Wake Forest.

Big 12: Texas 4.26, Oklahoma 2.61, Oklahoma State 1.96, TCU 1.70, Kansas 1.48, West Virginia 1.45, Iowa State 1.37, BYU 1.31, Kansas State 1.30, Texas Tech 1.30, Baylor 1.09. Others: Cincinnati, Houston, UCF.

Big Ten: Ohio State 6.05, Michigan 5.61, Penn State 3.66, Iowa 2.68, Nebraska 2.63, Michigan State 1.65, Wisconsin 1.61, Maryland 1.55, Minnesota 1.44, Indiana 1.26, Rutgers 1.14. Others: Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue.

Pac-12: Colorado 6.00, Oregon 4.43, Washington 4.14, USC 3.77, Utah 2.61, Oregon State 2.44, Washington State 2.15, UCLA 1.67, Stanford 1.64, Arizona 1.30, Arizona State 1.20, Cal 1.08.

SEC: Alabama 7.12, Georgia 5.90, Tennessee 4.57, LSU 3.79, Auburn 3.55, Missouri 3.25, Florida 3.17, Ole Miss 2.93, Texas A&M 2.74, South Carolina 2.69, Vanderbilt 2.46, Kentucky 2.07, Mississippi State 2.01, Arkansas 1.93.

Independent: Notre Dame 4.15.
You have to understand the source. There is a mystical "value" that gets assigned for this or that depending on what he needs it to be for a given argument.

As for ratings, it really depends on who you're playing and when. There is value in the lower tiers for how many watch, on average, but the prime spots are matchup dependent. Pitt's ratings generally suck but get prime TV spots against WVU and ND, for instance. We've seen prime time games against Clemson, too. Just depends. Some schools see viewership ebb and flow from season to season based on the schedule and/or if they are winning. Duke and Miami are good examples.

Here is some insight (propaganda) from our friend "The Dud".

This is so idiotic... "The Mountaineers passed on the SEC in order to get VT into the Big East" LOL!

More comedy:

Last edited:
Here is some insight (propaganda) from our friend "The Dud".

This is so idiotic...

Yeah, the hatred is so palpable that they've only played them three times since then.

grudge_cover.jpg

Reactions: pittmeister
I wrote this a couple of times previously and it's always worth mentioning again concerning our friends to the south...

2011...."The Apocalypse”.

Between 2002 – 2011 They experienced probably the best 10 year run in their football history (except of course for that small glitch that happened in 2007). The local fire departments were constantly kept busy putting out burning couches…

The Big East was on its last leg… “No worries!” proclaimed the imbreds, led by Chris Lambert aka "The Dud.... “We’re going to be fine! Pitt needs to worry! The SEC will ride into town and save our possum grease! We have attendance! We own every TV market east of the Pecos!”

Then came September 18, 2011…. The apocalypse happened in Morgantown…Pitt & Syracuse are invited to join the ACC…It was a cold slap in the nuts for those named Zeke, Virgil, and Ike, living in Hoopieland…Everything they believed about their beloved WVU was a LIE! They have never been the same since....They had to get on their knees , open wide, and beg for an invite to the Big 12...

Fast forward to 2024 and nothing has changed.....But somehow, WVU has gained value in 2024....LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT